Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

Wren, wow, an outdoors painting class sounds both inspiring and relaxing, even with a lot of "green!" Nice about the dog "parade!" I wish Kelce could go for a walk, maybe in the fall when school is in session again. She goes ballistic when she sees a dog, more so with large dogs. Her barking is exactly what I didn't want, but too late now because she wiggled her way into my heart!

illinois, your schnauzer can be groomed with clippers. That is how most pet schnauzers are groomed. Stripping the coat, as what I think betrayal was referring to, uses a stripping knife. That is how my dh groomed our airedales for show. He was an expert groomer and every time we were at a show, someone would ask who groomed our dog. We had multiple AKC champions, it was a great hobby and we met so many people from all parts of the world. I don't know of anyone who uses stripping knives on pets because it is tedious and very time consuming.

Harley and Puffin, thoughts of you!

Sandy, so good to hear from you! Glad your absence wasn't due to another emergency situation. You have a great attitude about it all! Thinking of you!

Hope everyone here has a wonderful day!

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,267

Good morning. My doctor visits have gone well. I don't have any more until August. I have the dentist and the cancer center at month end. My next mini-vacation will be in a few weeks. A bunch of us are going to Key West. I am not looking forward to the long drive.

Jackie, I love the puppies!!!

Puffin, your PT person sounds great. ((((hugs))))

Sandy, good to here from you. What a trying time.

Cindy, glad you got the pool fixed. I have to refinish mine sometime this year. I want to put in off until after hurricane season.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,075

Fifty-five years ago dh and I had our unique little wedding at my parents' house with a few family members and friends. Quite a few of them are deceased. A friend who was justice of the peace officiated. Afterwards we had a Louisiana style "reception." Boiled shrimp and long neck Dixie beer or cola.

We will celebrate tonight with dinner at the Boulders restaurant in Walker, about a 45 minute drive. We like the food and the ambiance.

Good to know that things are ok with Sandy.

The new bird sounds beautiful and fun.

Wishing everyone an enjoyable Friday.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,010

If things are tough, remember that every flower had to go through a whole lot
    of dirt to get there.  So do not grieve about a bitter experience.  The present
    is slipping by while you are regretting the past and worrying about the future.
    Regret will not prevent tomorrow’s sorrows; it will only rob today of its strength.

Barbara Johnson

• illinoislady

Good morning. I almost don't know where to begin there are so many good posts. I can't paint and I'm pretty sure a class wouldn't really help me, but I admire you Wren. It sounds exciting if somewhat tedious with certain subjects. Seeing the dog parade sounds like it was relaxing and some help for the tedious green painting. I actually imagine having to do many different shades of green in one picture could be a help in learning how to get just the right shade for different things like trees, grass, flowers, clothing etc.

There are a variety of groomers here. My tendency is to continue to use the one I've used for a number of years. She is fairly busy most of the time but runs a boarding business along with her grooming building. She has a helper, but mainly to help bathe the dogs. She attends to the actual grooming (hair, ear, and nails herself) and has always done a great job with my dogs. There is a groomer around here who will come pick up your dog and deliver them home when she is done, but right now I'm not inclined to pay for that 'much' service. Anyway, Tammy always informs me of anything unusual she finds. Like when Bill's allergies were found — she told me in ears needed attention soon.

Now thinking of the Labradoodles you saw Wren. My dog trainer poo-poohed them for me and didn't like the "puggles" mix either although we had one. In fact, she seemed not to like any mix. Well, I don't require a "Purebred" in any way. I don't really care. My only concern is that when mating happens you will get a mix of the negative characteristics as well as the positive and you have to hope that the good will outweigh the bad. Past that I really don't much care. I just want the companion to have as happy a life as possible. It does happen that Lil Red is purebred but it wasn't a demand of ours in any way. We just got so tired of waiting for the 'right' dog. We still think there is some 'quiet' agreement on smaller dogs that come through the lost, abandoned, ending up somehow at the animal shelter dogs. Takes a long time and maybe dumb luck to run into one — so we decided to forgo the dumb luck any longer. Also, having spent so much time with Jo's Schnauzer convinced me that they have great, loving, devoted personalities and likely will not need too much watching when friends come because they are loving and happy generally to meet 'friends'.

Puffin, good for no Dr. visits for some time. Always great to get a bit of that kind of freedom. It will be a long drive to Florida but hopefully will turn out surprisingly more pleasant than it seems right now. I sure hope so.

Betrayal, how great to get the canary. Sounds stunning. I don't think I've ever seen a black one. In fact, I don't think I knew that color even existed. Well, that is what I really know about birds which is not much. Hopefully, the singing will soon come. Sounds like a wonderful adventure with a good companion.

Carole and husband — Happy Anniversary to you. Loved your description of your wedding. Some of the best memories are not those that are flashy and involved and which I think can also be nerve-wracking and chaotic as well. Yours sound like the sort of harmony that can make for a long, happy life.

Long day for today. Birthday dinner for my daughter Kate. Prep for that as well as puppy prep here at the house known as an attempt to puppy proof. We'll know what we 'missed' after Lil' Red has been here a while.

Hope everyone has a fantastic Friday.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,276

Sunshine, I’d be lost without the help of my cousin and I know it!

MM, your Kielce sounds like a peach.

Puffin, it’s a good idea to move the kitchen chairs. Anything to make life easier is a good thing.

Jackie, the puppies are adorable. It’s a good idea planning for the times you need to leave him home alone.

Carole, I too would probably get a dog if we lived in one place. Someday but not now. Happy 55th anniversary!

Sandy, good to hear from you, although it sounds like you’ve got your hands full. Need a parking fix before winter is right!

Betrayal, congrats on getting a new canary! I hope he sings as well as expected.

Wren, the painting class sounds fun. I’ve always thought of myself as artsy, but truly do not possess a painting skill, among other lacking artistic skills!

Petite, nice that you’re getting another vacation, you’ll have a blast. Key West is a hike and a half from the panhandle. You could take the Key West Express out of Fort Myers Beach and sit back on the boat for 3+ hours to avoid the extra drive. I think it’s $185, plus parking. But if you drive you do get to see the Keys old bridges on the way, and the colorful waters as you go; but it was a hike from Fort Myers when we drove it. Just something to consider.

Today I went with my niece and grandniece to a local amusement park, Six Flags in Lake George. We walked about 5 miles, had a refillable cup that we refilled 10x at least, and I even went on a few rides. I’d show you a picture but each one is funnier than the one before it. The faces I made, in the nanosecond my niece snapped the pictures …epic.

I’m the one hanging on for dear life.
    We took some water rafting ride, where they bump the “boat” into the walls and water sprays all over you at various points. My jean shorts were soaked as was most of my body. It was a good thing it was sunny but not horrifically hot. I did one other ride which started out ok, but by the last 1/4 I was thinking I couldn’t move my neck - gravity tossed me to the left side. And yes, I am too old for this.

Hope we all have a good weekend.

Harley, thinking if you and hoping you’re doing well.

• illinoislady

When we recognize that nothing has to go right for us to be happy, that people do not have to behave for us to love them, our walk home can be surprisingly simple.  We have enormous power not to manipulate the world, but to be happy and to know peace.

Hugh Prather

• illinoislady

Good morning. Happy Saturday. I think a no rain day for us, and it will be in the 90's. A bit warmer than I like, but it is summer. Normal things planned for the day.

Had a great time at the birthday dinner. Saw a couple of people we knew — my Dh's old boss and the lady who sold us our new washer and dryer. That is so small-town living expected. No matter what you do or where you go you will likely encounter someone you know. It is actually a nice aspect. There is also a lot of waving to others that goes on. This, even if you don't know some of the people you wave to. It is just something that is done here.

I've never been to a Six Flags Park I don't think unless once when my kids were quite small. We have one over in St Louis but I'm not up to the walking now. Cindy, on something like that ride you were on I'd have the whitest knuckles anyone could. I think the Tilt-a-World is about the most I could do and not have a possible stomach eruption. That is definitely age.

Hoping everyone has a pleasant day and as much freedom from side effects, aches and pains and med. issues as possible.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,920

Our last ride on the tilt-a-whirl was incredible. It started spinning and wouldn’t stop. The man running the ride let us off first. Haven’t wanted to go again

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

cindyny, HOLY CROW! No way, no how, NEVER! I'm the one who "gets" to sit with the kids who are too little to go on the rides. They think I'm a hero for skipping the fun. LOL

Disney Land's "It's a Small World" is just my speed. I've never been a fan of thrill rides, even as a kid. That's OK. We need both types of people, right?

Carol

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

My friend Lynn and cruise roommate came from Maryland yesterday and we've had a couple very productive days. After getting things organized around my new lift chair so I could reach things we did some closet and dresser rearranging for easier access. She cleaned up the beets and I prepped the leaves for cooking. We make a good team.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 341

Puffin. You look good! What a wonderful friend. Glad the lift chair arrived and you are set up in an efficient and practical manner.

Cindy - nope, not happening, no way would I be on the thrill rides 😀 I’m with Sunshine - It’s a Small World is more my speed. Glad you had a good time with your niece and grandniece.

Illinoislady - I love your description of your town as it is obviously a close knit place with a real sense of community. The bucketful of puppies is adorable and I can understand why Lil Red found a place in your heart. ❤️

Sandy - you sound incredibly busy which I guess is not surprising given you are still having to spend time at your real home to monitor the security and hopefully soon the renovations will start.

Betrayal - congratulations on your new canary. Please keep us updated on when the singing starts.

Petite - Key West sounds like a great mini-vacation. Enjoy!

Carole - a happy (belated) anniversary

MM - hope you, DH and Kelce are staying cool in the brutally hot weather.

Thursday night we went to Rockin’ Rib Fest in a nearby town. The food was decent and the bands were very enjoyable. Weather was perfect - 70’s and clear. It’s a very family friendly event and I love watching all the little kids run around - of course, I don’t have to wrangle them when it’s time to leave and then get them to sleep at home.

Today was hot and humid so I spent some time floating in the pool. No rain in the forecast so I hopped in the water and not 5 minutes later the wind picked up and we had a brief hard rain shower. I figured I was already wet and there was no lightening so I stayed in the pool. The downside was the wind blew lots of leaves into the water which DH had just cleaned, so he cleaned it again. We have an automatic pool cover that we use when the pool is not in use which keeps the water pretty clean.

Have a good Sunday and stay cool.

• cindyny

My grandniece knows I’d do just about anything for her, hence me on wild rides.

Today I picked her up and we drove to pick up her gf so they could swim at my gf house. Spoiled, yes.

This morning I opened a quart of leftover paint, thinking it was going to be dried out and I’d recycle it. It wasn’t. I ended up taping off the bathroom chair rail and baseboard (a near repeat of FL house), and painting it. It was hot in the house, but once I was started I had to keep going. Boy, how stuff looks ok until you get up real close, it needed it. I even hit a spot on my kitchen windowsill with a “dry” brush of paint - it had a chip, and every time I saw it, I thought it was a bug!

I’ll sleep well tonight. Hoping you all do too!

• illinoislady

As I experience it, appreciation of beauty is access to the soul.  With beauty in our lives, we walk and carry ourselves more lightly and with a different look in our eyes.  To look into the eyes of someone beholding beauty is to look through the windows of the soul.  Anytime we catch a glimpse of soul, beauty is there; anytime we catch our breath and feel "How beautiful!," the soul is present.       -Jean Shinoda Bolen

• illinoislady

Good morning on this beautiful morning. It is already 81 though so seems like we are going to be a mite toasty.

Cindy, isn't that the way a lot of things get done. Nice to get a 'chore' out of the way, if quite un-expectedly. Now you will no longer 'spot' bugs in the kitchen either. Two for the price of one is always great.

Usual today plus picking up Lil Red. So a red-letter day I guess you could say.

Not to get in the wrong vein, but sadly there were gun incidents at a rally last evening. Can we hope something good can come now. Too many people are lost this way.

Everyone is anxious here wondering just when we will get our puppy. We just want everything ready first. We got a small crate last night for him and got that ready. We gave away our smallest crates long ago once the only other puppies we had got bigger. This crate is only big enough for a 20 pounder so I think will be a little more comfortable for now.

Puffin loved the pictures and the new chair looks quite comfy and I'm so happy you have it now and have a way to get up comfortably and safely. I thank your friend (s) for all the help they have been to you. What would we do w/o good friends and family happy to help us in life and to share burdens when they come - for any of us.

Harley, Taco, Betrayal, Cindy, MM, Sandy, Petite, Keywest, and all who post here. Hoping all are well and going to have a great day.

• mavericksmom

puffin, you look great and your chair is going to provide you comfort and safety! I love the pictures! Awesome picture of you and your friend! Beautiful smiles!

Harley, the Rockin’ Rib Fest sounds like so much fun! The pool sounds refreshing and cool in all this heat!

Cindy, no way would I ever go on that kind of ride! You are not only brave, but you are a “Great” aunt!🤗

Illinois, I hear you about setting up your home prior to getting Lil’ Red. We did the same with Kelce. We were glad to have time to buy a new crate, dishes, food, treats, toys, beds for her prior to getting her. Kelce is still a work in progress but very lovable!

Hope everyone has a good day. We’re watching the Phillies from the comfort of our air conditioned home, vs. a VERY hot ballpark!

• illinoislady

We just went over and picked up Lil' Red. So far the name is sticking. Lil' Red is a bit confused. He has met several of the cats already. A couple seem a bit enamored ,but a couple are also a bit standoffish. He is being a tiny bit whiney, but I think it is mainly confusion over many un-familiar smells and litter mates that don't smell right either. At most points he seems content in my lap. So, it may be something of a rough night.

I did find that Aly is fine with me bringing him back over on Thurs. to spend time with whatever litter mates may be left. Also, mommy and daddy and auntie of Lif' Red will be there. I just felt better doing that as trying to have friends and family with their own animals which seemed like it might arouse a lot of stress that might be avoided if Aly was willing to let Lil Red come to her house for a play afternoon. Hoping we won't have to start all over with getting adjusted to "home" but I sure like the idea better that Lil 'Red be somewhere where he is definitely accepted and where no one should be un-duly stressed.

• cindyny
    edited July 15

Jackie, congrats!! Lil Red will brighten your days.

Puffin, great pictures. Good to see you’re all set up with the help of your friend.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

Carole, Wren & Jackie - yup - no power & no internet for 7 VERY hot days before we finally got power last night. Thanks for the shout-out.

I only follow a few threads, but 99+ messages waiting so I won't answer in detail. Good to read everyone's news - treatments, new dogs, new chairs, anniversaries, books.

• illinoislady

Groundedness is one of the most important components of a satisfied life. Being grounded means having a guiding philosophy — a foundation of personal integrity that outside influences cannot disturb.  Our philosophy contains our values, spiritual faith, personal boundaries, and the causes we support. It reflects our core beliefs about who we are and how we conduct our lives.

Victoria

• illinoislady

Minus, so glad you hear you have power again. It is hard to imagine in the heat being without ALL of your normal resources. Dangerous for many I'm sure.

It is hot here today. About 94 and there is some humidity. Slight breeze so if you are outside in the shade, it is tolerable, but only just. You start to 'feel' it the minute you get into some sun. So thankfully, right outside our front door it is shady, and I can take Red out front to use 'his' bathroom.

Last night was tolerable, but Red is still somewhat confused and not as much as we expected. Still we are not use to this sort of night-time interruption so we had a extra nap today.

Have an appt. tomorrow morning for Red at the Dogie Beauty Salon. I found out that Tammy does all of Aly's dogs so she will be 'good' since she is used to doing Schnauzers for sure. After we made the appt. at Tammy's we ran out to Walmart for a couple of things and took Red inside with us. It was too hot in the car and I don't much believe in leaving a dog in your car whether it is hot or not. Dh would have stayed outside with him, but it was too hot to turn the car off and I didn't think it good to let the car run that long. Besides, people enjoy seeing your pet and while it is early, it is a way to socialize the pet a bit.

I'm not mentioning anyone, but do know that I'm thinking of all of you.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609

DB is here painting interior of garage and it is not only very hot but humid. Said at leaving he was going to weigh himself at home to see how much he sweated off today. New color looks great and is brighter than previous pastel blue. It's SW Porch Ceiling and hopefully bugs will not be attracted to it.

Bumble Bee decided to start singing today. He's trilling away and I am pleased that he has found his voice beyond peeps and chirps. I will play the canary songs from Youtube tomorrow.

PT progressing well and will have an assessment update next week. 6 weeks out and can walk independently around the house but use cane for prolonged walking.

Illinoislady, glad you finally got to bring Lil Red home. petite1, enjoy Key West. Puffin, love your new chair and all the assistance you get from friends. Taco, glad you got your date for surgery. Sandy, glad things are getting into a routine and for now, you won't have to move again for awhile. Harley, envy your pool access. Minus2, glad you finally got power back. Perhaps TX needs to look into a better electrical grid plan? cindyny, not a fan of amusement park rides and join others in saying I would have sat that one out. Carole, sorry to hear temps are rising where you are but glad you have a/c access. Sorry if I have overlooked anyone but hello to all and hope everyone ahs a great day.

• illinoislady

We are all capable of living lives characterized by great joy.  Within each of us
    is an amazing human spirit that is strong enough to overcome pain and disappointment.
    And no matter what our current situation happens to be, or what beliefs we may
    currently harbor about ourselves, we can tap into that inner strength and wisdom
    and move forward to create more joy.

Salle Merrill Redfield

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,267

Puffin, great pictures. Glad you got the chair

Minus, good to hear from you

Cindy, no way would I do those rides. LOL

Jackie, Red sounds like a great puppy. I am glad you have him

Betrayal, congratulations on your new bird

Carol, happy belated Anniversary

• illinoislady

Hope all are well this morning. Good to hear there are love songs emanating from Betrayal's house. It sounds exciting to me.

We had quite a night and woke up to pouring rain and so much thunder and lightning. Daughter had to come home from work. They were standing outside getting ready to enter the building when a big bolt of lightning struck (nearby somewhere) and she doesn't recall how, but she ended up on the ground. So, she was sent home from work. It is still pouring as we speak, but the massive amt. of thunder and lightning has backed off to only occasional. We had dried out a little, but we have definitely overcome that.

We were due to take Red to the beauty salon today, but will call later for another appt. I know a lot of roads are likely covered with water and it is not the safest time to be out and about. SIL told me I shouldn't go and I trust his judgement.

So mainly catch up work today it looks like. I'm surprised that we have all our power and I certainly hope nothing happens to kick it off. It is almost 9 a.m. and darkish outside as yet. So morning coffee on time and time to fix breakfast.

Hope all are well. Thinking of you if you are in any of this storm. Hope you will not have to suffer any inconveniences.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,075

Lil Red is a cute name. It doesn't seem to relate to his appearance. Did you explain, Jackie, how the name came about?

Betrayal, I'm in awe of how you managed your recovery from surgery. I love the thought of a canary singing in your house.

It cooled off yesterday quite suddenly with a change in wind direction. It's in the low 60's this morning and will warm up into the low 70's. The possibility of cooling off is a definite advantage of summer in MN over summer in Louisiana. At home we have unrelenting heat and humidity and watch the weather news with anxiety as tropical storms emerge and become hurricanes.

We have two a/c units in the fifth wheel, one in the main room and one in the bedroom. When it gets up into the 80's, we turn on both units.

Hello to everyone else not mentioned. Hope your day goes well.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Illinoislady, is your daughter OK? My DH and a friend got knocked off a boulder years ago when lightning struck the top of a mountain we were descending. I've never heard anything so loud in all my life. We warned another group of hikers that they should probably come down. They laughed it off—one of them died. Thunder and lightning are "fun" from a great distance or on a soundtrack, but up close? No thanks.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

I just met with the supervisor of Home.instead and have arranged for someone to come in twice a day to help me, getting dressed, putting on compression socks, meal prep, laundry, light housekeeping.

OT coming this afternoon to help with shower and see if I qualify for a HomeHealth aide to come in

• cindyny
    edited July 16

minustwo, 7 days without out electricity sounds horrifying. We’ve had 90+ days and humidity is killing us. I think I’d have had to go to a shelter, or sleep on a float in my pool! Thankful you have power back on!

Jackie, sometimes it’s best to stay at home. The storms do a number on the roads.

Betrayal, nice the bird is starting to sing. Painting in this weather here is horrific. They said we could hit 97 today.

Carole, I wish I had your weather! It’s been 91-93 daily. It zaps me entirely. We’re in Albany area, it should not be this hot. Florida home has been less hot than here.

Have a great day ladies! We’re headed out to meet friends for lunch.

• mavericksmom
    edited July 16

Illinois, how is your DD doing? I am surprised they let her drive home! Scary! When my DS played T-ball and Baseball it made me furious that they wouldn’t stop games for thunder, only lightning! They did seem to care that the kids used metal bats, the fences and back stop and bleachers were all metal and these were little kids standing in open fields!

Sunshine, so glad you turned back but sorry to hear about your friend. I wish the other hikers had listened to your warning!

Puffin, glad you will have Home Instead daily visits. I think people do better in their own home.

I had my hair done today and then headed straight to get my picture taken for my real ID license renewal. I told my hairdresser I do that because it is the best I will look! 🤗

To all, stay safe, stay cool and have a great day!