Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609

Hot, humid and like an oven outdoors. Supposed to storm again later today but air is so thick you could cut it with a knife. Glad I am indoors.

Slept well last night but still feeling tired. At least pain is minimal and I am doing some independent walking but making sure there is something close to grab on to if I feel knee buckle. Need to complete exercises and then will ice knee. Feels good to not have to drag walker around.

I did manage to send photos of Banjo to my email and download them. She is really cute and loves to be outside in the grass.

She's a little over 2 months old, weighs 9 pounds and surprisingly Regan got along with her yesterday. Misty was keeping an eye on her but not curious enough to come close. She is a real squirmer, tail constantly in motion and just loves to shower you with those puppy breath kisses. They are in love with her and she with them. A true rescue story.

Hope everyone has a great day.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,276

Banjo is a cutie!

I almost slept 8 hours. Partner has a sinus infection and nightly has a coughing up crap, sneezing attack at some point. I’ve been sleeping 4-5 hrs and when I woke at 5:30 AM I thought absolutely no way was I getting up. When later the clock showed 10:06 I was quite happily surprised. My day was thrown for being so late but I adjusted!

It was humid as could be and the sky kept turning dark. Finally the rain came. Which was ok by me because I started shredding the old tax returns. Many things were put in the recycle bin - but I apparently used to pencil in the tax info (1981!) and keep it in the paper booklet. So I had to go through each page of the booklet to make sure no SS info was listed. I’ve got a stack of more recent returns left to shred - these were done with CDs from tax prep software. A gf has offered to have a fire in her backyard to burn them and I may take her up on that.

My niece and her daughter came down and we grilled for dinner - frozen burgers that had cheese & bacon in them. Super yummy. We ate them with corn on the cob.

Tomorrow looks cooler so I’m planning to get out to our park for a walk. Hoping you all have a good Monday!

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,010

Well my vote for Banjo is she is a little doll. She has quite expressive ears I think. I can see how easy it would be to go "love at first sight" with her. I'm feeling it and I'm only seeing a picture. I think she has a bright future and hope she makes her family as happy as she seems to be making them right now.

Cindy and Betrayal — good for getting sleep and or sleeping well. So needed for the healing effects. I think the body responds a bit (even if you're not outside) when the humidity is good and high and stickiness everywhere. Just hard to shake the 'tired feeling' out of your yourself.

We didn't have rain, but fortunately out temps stayed way down and just enough breeze so we were fairly comfy. Fingers crossed it lasts for a while.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

Banjo is adorable! Such a lucky pup to have great pet parents!

Gorgeous day here, cool temperatures. I thoroughly enjoyed being outside for my usual "two times before 7:00AM" with Kelce this morning! Couldn't have asked for a better morning! Yesterday was humid and we didn't stay out long. Today, we took our time walking and enjoying every moment! I don't have a completely fenced in yard anymore, and even if it was, if a rabbit can get in through the fence, which they do, she could get out! So, I must take her out on a leash at all times. She is great for helping me get my daily steps in!

Puffin and Harley, in my thoughts!

Betrayal sounds like you are well on your way to recovery and being better than ever! Enjoy Kutztown Fair!

Wishing everyone a beautiful, peaceful day!

• illinoislady

Be on the lookout for mercies. The more we look for them,
    the more of them we will see. . . . Better to lose count
    while naming your blessings than to lose your blessings
    to counting your troubles.

Maltbie D. Babcock

• illinoislady

Good morning. Pretty as a picture outside and about 67 degrees. It will warm up, but for the most part I think we are in for another 'slightly cooler' day and no humidity.

MM, sounds like you are getting a bit of what we have too. That is great if you have to go out so early. I think you are lucky to have Miss Kelce even though she needs to be out early "twice". It is a good thing overall for a senior exercise program. We still miss not having a dog. Still looking. Our neighbors have Schnauzers but we learned late so I think all the pups are spoken for already. Not surprised by it. They are an adorable dog and a great overall breed as a house pet. We hope to find an older dog and will I'm sure if we keep looking. We would take a puppy if it turned up in our lap so to speak, but being older and knowing the rigors best we have an older version of anything. Also, as small as possible. I don't want tiny — just small as in 20 lbs or under. I babysit one super miniature Poodle, Kiki and she is about 5 #'s. For me that is just not enough in a dog. Agile cats at 5 #'s are much different. I envy you MM, but happy for you at the same time.

Hope you all have a beautiful day.

• mavericksmom

My backyard photos of the Mammatus clouds last night.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Crazy, awesome photos! Nature is amazing!

• cindyny
    edited July 1

Those clouds are wild. Beautiful pictures.

I got my walk in this morning and then ran errands. I’m getting the cold my partner has. He’s been coughing up crap and now I am. UGH. As I walked my glands in my neck started to hurt, I think they were swollen.

Hoping to sit in the sun with a book, but the sun keeps going in & out. No other plans set up for the day.

Hoping you all get to enjoy the day. Puffin & Harley, special good juju sent to you!

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

i saw my neurologist this morning. The changes seen in my MRI are insignificant. He did a thorough physical exam and said I don't have Parkinson's. Cross that off my worry list

• cindyny
    edited July 1

PS - I’ve searched my bedroom (closet, dresser drawers; top of and everything on the dresser, night stand). The baby birth notice with time of birth is no where to be found. I did find the little wrist bracelet so it obviously wasn’t attached to the card as I “remembered.” I quit!

• betrayal

Puffin, does this mean you will still have to change treatments? Glad that Parkinson's is off the table as well. Sending ((Hugs)) and hope you get an answer soon.

MM, glad that Kelce is keeping you fit. We use a long lead for Regan in the backyard where we can just attach her from the back door to let her explore at will. Our other dogs loved this and would spend hours outside, not Regan, she explores and then either wants back in or flops on the back step to sun herself.

Late PT today because it seems they did not provide coverage for my vacationing PT. It was a one woman show with her tending to 3 patients at once since we had overlapping appointments. Today was focused on strengthening quads and hamstrings. Quads are cut when they do the TKR and are in the process of healing so some days they are cooperative and others they bulk at doing exercises and walking. Mentioned how much pain I had on inner aspect of knee last Friday so she addressed that area today. She thinks for being only weeks post-op I am really doing well. I am using the cane now rather than the walker for that extra support and sense of security. She had me practice walking forwards and backwards with no assistive device and I did well but not ready to push my luck except in the house where I can grab onto something for support.

We went out to lunch after and DH is now on his way to DS's house to pick up our Costco order. DS picked up the items from my list and to save him the drive here, DH opted to go there. He's about 30 minutes away. They leave for Wildwood on Sunday for a week's vacation. DS has been having bouts of waking up due to numbness in arms and hands. PT gave me info about how he can get this evaluated and some things he can do to help alleviate the symptoms. He called for MD appointment but can't be seen until late in September. So I shared her info with him and hope he lets local PT evaluate him for referral and treatment.

For once I did not take Norco at bedtime but woke at 2 AM needing ice pack and Norco. Woke again around 4 for bathroom trip and then slept until Regan woke me at 7. So even with disrupted sleep I feel good today.

Illinoislady, hope you can find the dog that would best fit your household. I would ask about the Schnauzer's even if the answer is they are spoken for. Sometimes, the adopter has a change of heart or circumstances.

Sunny, high 70's and breezy so tolerable outdoors. Hope everyone has a good day.

• mavericksmom

Puffin, so glad you got some good news! Still keeping you in my thoughts! I actually think of you every morning when I take Kelce out in the morning and the birds are chirping and singing! Hang in there, you have a great team of doctors!

Betrayal, I walk her on a long line. It wouldn’t work well to tie her to the house. She’s a typical terrier, likes to bark, dig, and track/kill prey. If I am not with her to quiet her in the morning, my neighbors wouldn’t be happy. I live in a neighborhood where the houses are pretty close together, as you can tell from my cloud pictures. I do appreciate the suggestion. It would work if she was a different breed. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Cindy, glad you at least found the bracelet. I have a feeling you will find the birth notice someday when you’re looking for something else.

illinois, there’s a dog out there somewhere that is meant to be yours, just like Kelce found me and Banjo found betrayal’s DD and DSIL! I can’t imagine not having Kelce in my life!
    Shout out to Taco, Reader, Sandy, Sunshine, Petite, and anyone I missed. I hope you are all doing well!

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 341

Puffin - happy to hear you received some relatively good news. I’m sure you are relieved that Parkinson’s is not an issue. Hang in there.

MM - beautiful cloud pictures. I realize dogs need to be taken out several times a day but I admire you for getting out twice in the morning. I am definitely not a morning person so that would be torture for me.

Betrayal - Banjo is adorable. I think the dog and your DD/DSIL rescued each other.

We have had blessedly cooler weather - 70’s and low humidity. I love this kind of weather. I took advantage of the weather to get in a 5 mile slow and easy bike ride. I really enjoyed the fresh air, but I paid for it today as I was really tired. It was worth it for my mental health. I have chemo scheduled for Wednesday this week IF my blood counts cooperate - fingers crossed.

Enjoy the holiday week!

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,267

MM - Wow those are some awesome cloud pictures.

Betrayal- Banjo is so cute

Cindy - happy belated birthday

• illinoislady

Count me as well MM. Those cloud pictures were amazing. I'm a cloud lover so I'll be going back to look often. Thanks so for sharing.

• cindyny

Puffin, no Parkinson’s is a good thing to check off.

• betrayal

Off to Kutztown today after change in plans based on weather. Today is supposed to be in 80's but low humidity whereas 4th is supposed to be brutal. Will let you know how it goes since it requires extensive walking which I have yet to do to date. There are places where I can sit to rest and I will take advantage of them.

• illinoislady

If people only knew the healing power of laughter and joy, many of our fine doctors would be out of business. Joy is one of nature’s greatest medicines. Joy is always healthy. A pleasant state of mind tends to bring abnormal conditions back to normal. -Catherine Ponder

• illinoislady

74 this morning and hoping we have another reasonably coolish day. I've learned to be un-certain and that's okay. You have many things to do, and they will all get done no matter the weather. Cooler is just nicer and no feelable humidity a bonus. Fingers crossed.

Dodging Parkinson's is a bonus as well. Hoping like crazy other bumps can be well smoothed Puffin.

Hoping all have a really good day.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Betrayal: Since radiation didn't work and the edema and tumor have gotten larger the thinking is now that it's not breast mets but originated in the brain. The next treatment will be Alastin IV infusions every 2 weeks, which has received preauthorizaion and my first one is scheduled next Tuesday. It's an autoimmune therapy which shrinks the blood supply to shrink brain tumors.

• cindyny

I walked this morning with a gf. Beautiful weather, but my cold had me sluggish. I came home to change and go sit on the deck in the sun with a book. Almost fell asleep. Back inside to eat and watch ny soap opera LOL. Put my bathing suit on and spent the day in & out of the pool. I’ve git some color, lightly burnt - guessing from the book dozing time.

I’ve got plans to do some garden work early if I can. It was too hot in full sun to do what I wanted today.

Hoping you all have decent weather tomorrow too.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

Puffin - holding you in my thoughts as this new treatment starts.

• mavericksmom

Puffin, keeping you in my thoughts as you start your new treatment. I am so thankful to all the researchers, technicians, doctors and nurses behind all the treatments for cancer! How lucky we are that they chose to do such lifesaving work, even though we don't know most of their names! I have a good feeling about your new treatment plan!

• mavericksmom

Puffin, keeping you in my thoughts as you start your new treatment. I am so thankful to all the researchers, technicians, doctors and nurses behind all the treatments for cancer! How lucky we are that they chose to do such lifesaving work, even though we don't know most of their names! I have a good feeling about your new treatment plan!

• betrayal

Puffin, thank you for updating us on what is new about your dx and treatment plan. Fingers crossed that this is the solution.

Yesterday was a lovely day. Weather was cooperative with only a high in mid-80's, low humidity and a nice steady breeze. I walked over 3,100 steps which was the highest number I have reached since surgery. I did about 1/3 of the fair grounds before I knew I couldn't do the rest. DD found that the local fire department was renting electric scooters for a donation so she got me one. I rode around the fair grounds in comfort after that and visited the vendors I wanted to see. I did buy a new bird painting from my favorite artist. I now own 8 of his paintings. This one is a montage of 6 birds, 3 of which I have seen in my yard: Eastern Towhee, Downy Woodpecker and Catbird.

Other purchases included some olive oil with either white balsamic or aged balsamic vinegar salad dressings. The varieties include: Fig (aged balsamic), Neapolitan, Lemon Cucumber and Champagne. He had tastings so I tried each of these prior to purchase. Plus my sale qualified for a small free bottle of Pomegranate in aged Balsamic vinegar. I love salads and need to get back to having them for lunch. They also had some local wineries and we did get several bottles of local whites and reds. The Pennsylvania Dutch deli provided us with Shoo Fly Pie (wet bottom) and an Ati Cake which we shared with DD and DSIL. Also some sweet Lebanon bologna and several cheeses for a light dinner with multigrain crackers.

My dear niece is getting married in November and they are throwing her a shower in August. She is someone who loves to entertain and has Pinterest boards loaded with food ideas. I would hire her to plan a party for me! I found a vendor selling personalized bakeware items and cutting boards but what caught my eye is a board labeled Charcuterie which then offered the phonetic pronunciation plus the definition as " noun, A fancy French term for Adult Lunchable". So this is right up her alley and I think will always be a talking point when she entertains.

DD and DSIL took Banjo with us and she was the hit of the day. Everyone wanted to pet her and quite a few disclosed to DD that they had just had a pet die and they needed to have contact with her dog. Several teared up. Banjo was tired by the end of the day but she really loves people and can't seem to understand when some avoid her. Found a shepherd's crook plant hanger for DS and dropped it off on our way home.

End of day was our usual stop at Longacre Dairy in Bally for our homemade ice cream fix. We always get sundaes and then I load up my freezer with several half gallons of ice cream for future consumption. They make teaberry ice cream which harkens back to childhood memories and teaberry gum which was a favorite. I always get a half gallon since DD and DSIL like it too. So we are stocked for a while with deli items, pies, salad dressings and of course, ice cream.

All in all a great day though I was exhausted last night and did sleep well. I have PT #5 and a sore leg to start out with so I hoping she can work out the kinks. Hope everyone has a great day today.

• illinoislady

Your worth is not measured by what you do. Nor can you calculate the degree of your worthiness by what you possess. Your worth is a function of your being. Your being is colorless, genderless, and believe it or not, ageless. Your being is worthy of honor, admiration, and respect. It is a vessel of love and light. It is a beacon of inspiration.     -Iyanla Vanzant

• illinoislady

Cloudy this morning but 82 already. Hmm, I have no idea, but it sure sounds like we are in for some rain. It's okay with me although I do feel we likely will be warm (make that warmer than I care for) after the rain. Well, it is summer and that means plenty of warmth. You know, the kind that is prayed for when it is zero outside in the winter.

MM wrote and I so agree:

Betrayal yay for you. You did well on your 'walk' for yesterday. Glad, even with motorized transport that you were able to have such a wonderful day. Also, that Banjo was a fairgoer as well and seems to have lifted lots of spirits yesterday for those who recently lost one of their furry friends. There are many who either just plain have no desire to have a pet - of any kind, and some who have had negative events and pets/dogs make them un-comfortable. As for me, if you bring your pet with you I'm going to ask if I can converse for a bit with him or her. The only ones I do not automatically go up to are those I know who trained therapy dogs. That is seeing eye or those trained for handicapped people. Those animals are generally fine with people, but they are especially trained to respond more to their owners and generally don't show much excitement to 'strangers'. I love them anyway, but I try to be respectful that the dogs are "working" and the owners may not feel like stopping often so someone can interact with their dogs.

Sounds like you are pretty well on the way to having a very successful PT and a very useful knee that will support you so well Betrayal. I'm so happy after your previous struggles with recovery after surgery. Let the good work and wonderful results continue on.

Saying hi to Cindy, Harley, Taco, Petite, Wren, and anyone I've not mentioned by name. I'm hoping all have a truly wonderful day.

• cindyny
    edited July 3

Puffin, we must have posted at the same time so I missed your post. Based on others responses I went back to read it. Well, it’s another thing to check off, not bc mets. I’m hoping they’re on the money with this treatment. Tuesday seems so far away, but glad it’s pre approved and that’s as far out as you’ll need to wait.

Betrayal, you’re amazing. Nothing seems to slow you down. A work around with the electric scooter sounded like a perfect way to enjoy your day.

Today’s Wednesday so Harley is at treatment - hoping platelet count is good enough to get this one down.

I did get out to complete my garden work. In between slate, that I uncovered when I planted 3 clumps of black eyed Susan’s, I stuffed a ground cover that I don’t know the name of. It grows to about 1-2”, it’s green & gets tiny florets in yellow. It was in the rock garden when I moved in near 40 years ago. It goes on its own to places where the dirt would erode otherwise. I’m hoping to avoid weeding that spot, so we’ll see if it takes.

I was out for less than an hour, after planting I watered everything. But I was drenched. It’s up to 80 now. Peeled off my clothes and put my night shirt back on.

Jackie, Carole, MM, Petite, reader, Taco, wren, Chris, Sandy and everyone else - enjoy the 4th! We’re staying home with maybe a jaunt to watch the big fireworks from a safe place.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 341

Cindy - you have a terrific memory. I am at treatment today and am just finishing up chemo. Platelets and neutrophils are a bit lower than they would like but the oncologist approved treatment.

Puffin - I will be thinking of you next Tuesday and praying for improvement.

Tomorrow will be hot and humid. I plan to float in the pool to stay cool.

Happy 4th !!