We need your inspirational words for a new project! Share with us.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

1…17251727172917301731

Comments

  • betrayal
    betrayal Posts: 6,415

    @suzieq64, I remember reading that patients receiving neulasta take Claritin to offset bone pain SE. Did you read anything about this? I have not had chemo so can't recommend, but you might want to ask others about this.

    teka, glad you are on the mend.

    Chris, yes,I have had cataract surgery. Just like my knees I didn't do the worst one first, but the one that presented a visual challenge to me. I waited about 5 years before I had the second one done. Recovery was a breeze and I was so glad to not have to wear contacts for distance anymore. I did wear one lens for the 5 years before I had the second one done because I really had distance issues. Now I use readers when reading or doing handwork. I can read some menus without the readers. Can't read a price tag without them so I always have a pair in my purse and scattered throughout the house rather than trying to keep track of just one pair. I buy them at Costco where I can get 3 pairs for about $15 and replace them when they break.

    Had lunch with my former classmate yesterday and discovered it has probably been greater than 30 years since I last saw her. We had a good time remembering times we had as student nurse's though at the time we were in school it was more like indentured servitude and we suffered at the mercy of our sometimes cruel instructors and the older staff nurses. Some of our instructors were ex-military and never spoke to us, they barked orders and berated us in front of patients, physicians, other students and visitors. We had 9 o'clock curfews S-Th and 10 pm on Fri & Sat. It was like living in a convent because we had single rooms that had metal frame single beds, metal dresser with 4 drawers, a metal desk and a small closet. The wall sconces had been converted from gas to electric and they were the only light. We had to provide our own bedspreads, drapes (they did provide a dark roller shade) and we had radiator heat. A small corner sink with a mirror above it and communal bathrooms with single cubbies for toilets, tubs and showers. It was utilitarian at best. My closet had heat pipes in it so my clothes were always warm. Had enforced study hours between 7-8:30 every evening in our own rooms and a hall monitor who reported us if we weren't compliant. However, we were creative and found ways to break the tedium, to bond and to have fun. We laughed about a lot of what happened and griped about some instructors who were either exceptionally kind or cruel. We started out as a class of 125 and only graduated 67 3 years later. The curriculum was rigorous, demanding physically and mentally, and it seemed every year we would lose more classmates. However, we came out as confident, skilled nurses and most of us have had long, fruitful careers and given back to the profession. We plan on doing lunch again.

    The food was really good. I ordered the lemon chicken with pasta soup and the chicken pecan salad with dried cranberries and gorgonzola cheese. The soup was very filling because it was loaded with chicken as was the salad. When the waitress brought it I told her I should have brought my family to share it. I ended u bring about 80% of it home and ate it for dinner tonight. It was loaded with chicken. I made reservations to have dinner there tomorrow. I want to try their entrees.

    Last night can only be described as one on constant rolling thunder accompanied by driving rain and lots of lightning. Some booms were so loud, I though a bomb went off. Brought back memories of the tree strike in 2019, so I hate these storms. Didn't sleep well at all. Had 2 books that just needed about 30-50 pages to finish, and was awake several times so they are now finished. I find falling back to sleep difficult on some nights and last night was one of them. Tired today, but did get sheets washed, bed remade and towels washed.

    The heat has returned so I have been staying indoors as much as I can. Storms are predicted again for tonight and tomorrow.

    I hope everyone had a great day and waving "hi" to everyone.

  • carolehalston
    carolehalston Posts: 9,571

    Cindy, we don't have a specific date, but plan to leave at the end of this month. DH has been making appointments for himself in early October.

  • betrayal
    betrayal Posts: 6,415

    People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe.
    Andy Rooney

  • betrayal
    betrayal Posts: 6,415

    Feminism has never been about getting a job for one woman. It's about making life more fair for women everywhere. It's not about a piece of the existing pie; there are too many of us for that. It's about baking a new pie.
    Gloria Steinem

  • cindyny
    cindyny Posts: 1,735

    I think many women chose quality of life over quantity. I took Anastrazole 4 years 9 months, stopped with approval from MO and endocrinologist. Brain fog, and horrible sleep were just some of what I put up with. We all do what we can do.

    We closed the pool entirely today. A lot of work. It was 74 and a nice day; overnight should hit 51. We still have chairs next to the pool where the solar cover lays, but that’s it for work tomorrow.

    I also used two 50 pound bags of Quik Crete to fill in woodchuck holes along the side of garage; closer to the neighbors property. Fingers crossed, we chase this animal away!

    Enjoy your Sunday!

  • mcbaker
    mcbaker Posts: 2,220

    Into light, a tough decision. But after ten years, I can understand.

    Woodchuck ~ BC.

    Taco, I didn't know you were HER+ positive. So double or triple positive?

    My to-do list and the diet are major changes in the quality of my life. I have so much energy, and with dishes done relatively promptly, I have fewer fruit flies.

  • betrayal
    betrayal Posts: 6,415

    Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.
    Thich Nhat Hanh

  • cindyny
    cindyny Posts: 1,735

    suzieq64, that’s very upsetting news and it sent a shiver of goose bumps through me. Younger woman have higher hurdles (with hormones) vs us older ladies. It’s scary what’s happening to your nieces friend. My heart goes out to her.

    It’s 68 and sunny! Beautiful day. I was up early and took my car in for a car wash with interior cleaning.The car was way overdue to get done, but my back is t up to doing it myself. I came home and noticed the car wasn’t looking so great. I took it back to a closer car wash near me, same company. This location is DYI cleaning, so they have air compressor hoses to use. I pulled in and went to town on the drain channels of my car, still full of pine needles. Popped the hood, popped the trunk, and inside the front quarter panel accessed through the front doors - I blew out enough pine needles, leaves, and random crud to make a birds nest. I came home and needed WD-40 to get pine sap off my windshield. I think if I wanted this done by the car wash, I’d need to pay for detailing vs inside/outside clean. But it was $50 for what I had done, luckily they’re running a special at $40. A full detailing has to be in the $100’s. What happened to a good wash for $15-20? In FL we were in a wash club, weekly washes for a monthly fee that I think was $23+. All things have gone up in cost, and I just have to get used to it. But I don’t have to be happy about it! Hahaha

    I grabbed some groceries at Aldi’s, and Hanniford. But still will run to BJ’s looking for organic lettuce. I was asked to bring a tossed salad for tomorrow’s gathering. I’ve got homegrown tomatoes, I’m cutting up a brick of sharp cheddar, and I boiled a bunch of eggs to cut up and put in. Simple but tasty, if I can get good lettuce. Dressings - I bought 3 bottles; I like honey mustard, kids like ranch, some like Italian.

    I hope all are enjoying the Labor Day weekend.

  • mcbaker
    mcbaker Posts: 2,220
    image.png

    I have a few more that I can put on a different piece. There was too big a blank space in the upper right, so I sort of ran that one off the "canvas". It has a stain on the unseen part.

  • betrayal
    betrayal Posts: 6,415

    I like animals because they are not consciously cruel and don't betray each other.
    Taylor Caldwell

  • suzieq64
    suzieq64 Posts: 14

    Hello All,

    Beautiful pictures of Colorado, Antique crocheted art, hikes outdoors in the beautiful weather this weekend. We are having a town yard sale in my area. Lots of bargains to be found. They have them every memorial day and labor day. A tradition for the area.

    I think I'll plop my hat on and go join them today. God is good and he will sustain us.

    Prayers for a lovely holiday for all. Thank you for your kind words and support it means more than you realize.

  • betrayal
    betrayal Posts: 6,415

    A mountain is composed of tiny grains of earth. The ocean is made up of tiny drops of water. Even so, life is but an endless series of little details, actions, speeches, and thoughts. And the consequences whether good or bad of even the least of them are far-reaching.

    — Swami Sivananda

  • cindyny
    cindyny Posts: 1,735
    edited September 8

    Enjoyed all the photos posted.

    We had a great day yesterday. Good food & good company. I think we were home by 7-7:30. Everyone went home with leftovers. Kids swam all day. Good times had by all.

    This morning I went to my foot people for new orthotics. They’ll be ready for pick up on 9/28.

    I bought two outdoor solar motion sensor lights. I just hung one up. It was a comedy of errors. I was up & down the ladder, switching the drill from the bit to a Phillips head … I dropped the 1/16 drill bit. Fortunately I found it on my second attempt at locating it. But lately it feels like Murphy’s law is my shadow.

    My cousin is supposed to be here tomorrow so we can fix the broken vinyl gate post (the part that swings, not stationary ones). So I grabbed tools to make sure I can get it off before he arrives. That worked out well, so I placed the tools I need in the back porch, and moved the saw horses to the front of the garage. But the weather may not be ok.

    I’m supposed to have the driveway sealed tomorrow. Wishful thinking on my part as it may rain again!

    The handyman has been rehired to I finish up any stain leftover. He may be here this week.

    My FL house has had the modem go off just about every other day this past week. GF neighbor may take it to Xfinity to swap it out. But if she does get a new one, I can’t remember if I have to reset everything in the house to hook up to it. We pay $50+ a month so I’d like it to work. I think I’ll contact Xfinity to see if they can reset it remotely. Another “fingers crossed” event!

    I purchased some new Biofreeze today and it is an aerosol, vs the roll-on I usually get. The “good” is it felt immediately wonderful; the “bad” is I had overspray and swear I could taste it. Haha

    That’s a day in my life. LOL