Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited March 2009

Ivy - this is a happening place!!  Glad you found us. 

We weren't sure for awhile if we'd be allowed our own forum, but here we are!!  And, nary an unkind word ever!!  Just love, support, compassion, and understanding.  It's amazing how much of it we have to give.

Kathleen - you said it so well!

Jackie -  you da bomb!  (Do people still use that expression?  I'm so not with it.)   Wink

• Motherof7
    Motherof7 Member Posts: 135
    edited March 2009

Marie67

Sorry that you are hurting today. I know what you mean, it seems like my left hip hurts a lot since I started taking the Arimidex, also seem to be tired a lot. When I sit down to rest for just a few minutes, seems like I just fall asleep.

It is raining here, and that surely does not help.

I will pray that you get to feeling better. Have a great week-end, and God Bless You!

• amE2
    amE2 Member Posts: 90
    edited March 2009

Wow, What a great thread.

I am 64, just Dx'd with Estrogen + cells.  Highly receptive to extrogen blockers. (thay said) I didn't have health ins. for quite a while but now I have it so it is advanced.  I didn't ask the stage, not sure I want to know.  No surgery, maybe later, we'll see (they said).  No chemo, maybe Herceptin later, we'll see, they are still doing some blood work.  I am not unhappy with what is going on.  I took my first Arimidex this morning, aside from a gag reflex when I ate that I ignored and a hot flash or two, (nothing new ) I have actually been feeling a bit better.  Probably psychological.

Yes, I agree, this site for older women is good, I am not having anything invasive but I see there are others like me.  I will read the rest of the posts in a bit but wanted to add my 2cents.

I am happy I found this site.  How do I get to the chat room?  So, if I go to bookmarks I can mark this as a favorite site.  I am so adept at this computer stuff. Haha.

Thanks again ladies,

Pam

• amE2
    edited March 2009

Good Karma and prayers and best wishes coming your way.

Hugs,

PamW

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2009

Maire, I am taking the Arimidex because I'm PR+.  PR stands for progesterine which is another female hormone.  Since there is not a lot of research on my ER- but PR + status, my onc wanted me to do the Arimidex to block the progesterine.  It is probably not as effective as when taken by somebody who is both ER and PR + but I wanted to give it a try if there was a good chance that it would help me.

I have read that Anticancer book that you recommended and it is fantastic.  Now I need to go back and take notes.  Although I know that I'll never get away from all the cancer agents mentioned in the book, I'm going to try to reduce the cancer foods and add some anticancer foods.  It is hard to find organic meat in our area so I need to check that out a little better.  Thank you so much for suggesting the book.

I am manning the phones this afternoon.  My son called a few hours ago and said that they were on the way to the hospital.  Hopefully my third grandson will be born this afternoon or evening.  I'm going to have to wait a few weeks to see him.  We're going to KY for Easter......unless I get too antsy and take off earlier.

Hope all is well with you gals!

Rita

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009

Pam - Welcome!  Sorry you have to be here, but we're a pretty good bunch to hang with.  It's not just the cancer that we share, I think it's our humanity.  We are a caring, supportive group of women. Maybe it was the way things were when we were growing up, or just something we've learned through our lives, but we genuinely care about each other. 

Geesh, I might get teary!  I love these guys so much!!.

Susan

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009

Rita - Congratulations, Gram!!  You'll have to post some pics!

Susan

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,258
    edited March 2009

MzMiller/Susan....I don't actually recall that saying you used....but if it's good....I'll use it, or keep it or claim it.  I'm pretty easy most of the time.  Pam....welcome....this is a great group and I so enjoy it here too.  I have found ( and this happened rather quickly ) that as teary Susan said.....there is just something about sharing with others that are having and have had the cancer experience   It is a bit of an unusual camaraderie.  It is a place no one really meant to be, yet it one of the few places where you can be the real you......you can be scared, upset, unhappy, irate, depressed --- you name it......and everyone will understand and help you pass through it.  I think we do get to borrow each others strength and need to now and then.

Everyone here really gets where we are and knows first-hand the difficulties that will be faced, and the challenges that will come to every part of our being.  My family and many of my friends were so loving and kind ( a couple weren't ) and I felt deep appreciation but even a lot of them couldn't quite give me the feeling of a security blanket......I only seemed to be able to be "sure" I would be ok when I came here. 

Been another long day for me and my recliner is calling.  I hope I can stay awake for awhile.  See you all some time tomorrow.

Jackie

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010

Looking forwarad to hearing about your new grandson...babies are just the best.  enjoy.  I took a long nap today and it helped ...off to work tomorrow.   Thanks all

Maire 

• ritajean
    edited March 2009

Our baby is here!  My new grandson, Evan, has arrived, weighing in at 8 pounds and 5 ounces.  Mother and son are doing well but I guess it was a little scary for awhile as the umbilical cord was kinked and Evan's blood pressure shot up pretty high.  We were so lucky!  I probably won't get to see him (except for the pictures that my son will send via email) until Easter weekend.  I just had to share my news!!!!

I hope everyone is doing well.  It's a blustery day in Illinois and we are expecting snow and rain.  I don't imagine that my spring flowers will enjoy that!

Maire, although I've never been a napping person, I did find that they really helped revive my energy during the chemo and rads.  Now that they're done, I seldom need those naps anymore. 

I'll check back later!

Rita

• illinoislady
    edited March 2009

Big  YES for you Gram....Very glad Evan is here and all is well.  .....and that Mom & Dad are fine too. 

As Rita says...our weather has turned on us, but we will get through.  I'll have to run all errands this a.m. as dh will have to take my car to work as his truck is down.  Drat....I am a fish out of water w/o my car.  It sits on the parking deck all day....but as long as it is there I don't feel the slight confinement that I am bound to have later. 

Maire....I took a lot of naps during chemo as well.  Once in awhile ( not too often ) I will sit and just suddenly realize that I am going to fall asleep because I am sooooo tired.  That is not like me and always surprises me, but I don't fight it....feel my body knows what it needs.  I just hope it doesn't kick in at work like that. 

I'll be checking back later. 

Have a great day.

Jackie

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited March 2009

Rita - Congratulations - can't wait to see his picture!

• amE2
    edited March 2009

Thank you everyone for welcoming me.  I can already tell this group is a good one.  I have already had trouble with friends that don't understand why I am not on Chemo and why I won't tell them what stage I am in.  Stage I think is for the doctors to know.  It's just a ghoulish interest that makes them ask that question so I am asking them --- Why do you think you need to know that information?  Hoping they will think about what they are asking. 

Congratualtions Rita,  I can't get my two sons to even pop out one baby.  They are 32 and 29 and "I" think it is about time but evidently they don't.  LOL.  The baby is beatiful.

Yesterday was my first day on Arimidex and I had a good day.  Today, not guite so good. Not bad but I am tired and want to sleep and having hot flashes.   Yesterday I had a gag reflex at lunch but nothing today.  If these are all the probs I am going to have --- it's not bad.  But I can see that not a lot is going to get done around my house for a while.

Can anyone tell me is it a good idea or not to go on a diet?  I do know that our fat cells retain estrogen and heck I don't want anymore estrogen in my system then the Arimidex can handle.  LOL  

Well, if anyone knows ------- I would like to eat better, I have already incorporated some meditation and a spiritual retreat to my own bag of tricks.

Thanks again for the welcome, looks like I will be around for a while.

PamW1

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2009

well, here it is Saturday, so here I am.....poking my head in again.

*sending big hugs to JO* who always says what Im thinking long before I even think of saying it.....this group, and my Illinois chickees are what keep me on the bc board.....were it not for all the wonderful friends I have made in both places, with my life as full as it is, i would have been long gone Im afraid.

I love that I can even talk about my constipaaaaaaaaaaaation to all of you......I think I have at least that half of my problem solved for now.....I cannot go around constipated for 5 years *L* the gas, is a whole nother story.....Im going to try taking Probiotics, it occurred to me that with all the antibiotics Ive been on in the last 3 months perhaps my normal intestinal flora has been destroyed and that would certainly explain that part....so *fingers crossed*

YEA rita !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and much much happiness to you and little Evan......babies rock ! esp little grandbabies.......

Welcome Pam !!!! I think its a tiny bit too soon for Arimidexxy problems but I agree with you and everyone else that we take them as they come because we want cancer to be gone gone gone. Im on it now......lets see, halfway through the 3rd bottle, so almost 3 months, and really cept for the constipation which annoys me to death I am all good here, a few reminiscent hot flashes but they too are just annoying. I am continuing my diet as I make this journey.....I have lost 6# in the last month so I think it can be done....I am really watching carbs and I gave up my beloved diet Coke completely. I too am doing a meditation class cause I internalize things SO much.....

wondering how mikita is ..............

sending big hugs to Jackie and Susan ( my gas girlie :) and good vibes to everyone else too ! Currently trying to vibe away the snow that is on the way, Jackie see if you can stop it on your end before it gets up here if you would please.....

Love to all

Jan

• illinoislady
    edited March 2009

Great to see your post Jan as I was wondering where you were?  Wish I could do something about the weather and send it to the North Pole or something. 

Pam...hang in there.  Your medical diagnosis IS really between you and your Dr. and no one should be asking anything much of you.  We all tend to 'share' when we want, about what we want.  But, while it might help someone answer a question here......as far as friends...it won't help them to support you if they know that. 

I am trying to work on my diet again.....It's not easy now.  I ate whatever I could make go down and stay down while I was doing chemo and I have developed some terrible habits again.  I am a bread and pasta lover.....and desserts...I'm not even going to go there, but will I think modify to a degree my South Beach style of eating.  I was doing so well but find the wt. is creeping back now and I am hating that.  I do know with spring sorta here and the yard ( a little over an acre ) needing lots of work I will be expending more energy soon......that will help.  I also truly do need to work on regular exercise and hoping I can re-start a walking program.  I love to walk here in the country.  My feet were a mess a long time ago......after my stroke, but in spite of he clomping Arimidex gait in the a.m., I seem to do fine after that. 

I do notice on dreary days a little more aches in more places and I think that is from the Arimidex but so far I would not stop it.  I had a nap today too.  I think it is about the rain which makes me more inclined anyway....and then the Arimidex.  I gave in and did it as I was not going to be able to get out as dh has my car...he could not drive the MG to work as the snow is coming we think. 

See ya'll later.

Jackie

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited March 2009

Hi Ladies.  Recently diagnosed "young" 62 - got this lovely present for my 62nd birthday actually!  Nice, huh?  Got the double whammy when I was also diagnosed triple n.  I am raging over that.  I hope to come to terms with it, but being hijacked with this venomous cancer, and then finding I don't even have the options of all my ER+/PR+ sisters makes me even more angry.  Had my lumpectomy last Weds. March 25th, am doing well, all things considered, go back to BS this Weds for 1 week checkup and then I suppose the next regime of human indignities will begin.  Am a widow, work as a legal asst for a large Atlanta Law Firm and raise my 13 year old grand-daughter.  Have much loving support of my mom (85 and healthy as a horse, God bless), my two daughters (one ill with her own probs, not cancer) and my other in Minnesota, and my beloved sister and brother-in-law.  Hope this finds everyone doing well and know that each of you are in my thoughts.

Linda

• kmccraw423
    edited March 2009

JO - you are right on.  I thought I was getting more tolerant with age but I think I just ran out of steam!

JAN - where the heck are you that snow is in the forecast  Its almost April for goodness sake.

PAM - sorry for the confusion - that is not Rita's grandson.  I just posted a baby picture.  But I am sure Evan is just as cute or probably cuter~

• illinoislady
    edited March 2009

Welcome Linda....to the club no one wants to join. 

Jan and I are both from Illinois....Jan is much closer to Chicago and I am in southern Illinois---about 70 miles east of St. Louis, Missouri.  This part of Illinois is called Little Egypt because in general the weather is often a good deal better than what surrounds us.  Our local newspaper says at the top Egypt's Greatest Little Dailly.  Said it for a gazillion years.  I can't imagine living anywhere else but this is a very small town---only about 15,000 people.  I was raised 4 miles from here and that town only had 200....so I did graduate to a booming metropolis.

Jackie 

• ritajean
    edited March 2009

Hi Linda,

I am so sorry that you are having to travel this journey.  We are about the same age as I will turn 62 in August and until this hit (at the age of 59) I felt very young, too.  It plays havoc with our emotions, our life routines, and our bodies.  I thought that the early decision-making time was the worst.  Once I'd make my decision and had a treatment plan in place, I did better accepting it all.  You will get through this, hon.  It's just so hard at first to come to grips with it all.  You are lucky you have a strong support group with your family and we will be here for you every step of the way.  As you can see, these ladies are fantastic! 

So Jackie...what tiny little town were you raised in?

Jan, it's funny that you mentioned the probiotics as I purchased a carton of those little DanActive drinks this past week but it doesn't say how often I should drink one of these.  What do you think, nurse Jan?  Is this an occassional thing or should I drink one a day for four days?  I found it strange that the package gave no info on use.

Well, I need to get going.  Hi to all the rest of you.  I hope everyone is doing well today.

Rita

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009

Jan - you made me snort!  The gas girls!?  Sounds like a punk rock group!  We could go on the road, but we'd probably stink!  Wink

Mikita - hugs and prayers

Linda - Welcome!  This is a great home away from home!

Jackie - I just saw pics of the snow they got in OK today!  BUMMER!!  Keep it away from NY State, pleeeease!

Enjoy the weekend, all!  I got out in the garden beds today, after my riding lesson.  It was soooo good to see the bulbs coming up! 

Susan

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited March 2009

To all my new and kind friends - thank you for the welcome aboard.  It is much appreciated.  I will be here often, I am quite sure!  All good blessings are being sent to each and everyone of you.

Hugs,

Linda

• illinoislady
    edited March 2009

Susan....I love it --the rock group.  hmmm  Pink Stinkers aka Gas Girls. 

Rita....I was raised In Glenridge, Illinois.  I did not find out til' I was almost gone for good that the real name was Junction City.  I hated that when I was young.  Sounded to me like Kitty or Mat Dillon might come running out of one of the local saloons ( Long Branch ) though they were all called taverns.  There were three total.  Those and a mom and pop General Store was about all that was there save for a very small school.  In summer time some man who had huge rolls of burlap had placed  polls stragetically around an old ball diamond.  He would come every Saturday night, put up the huge burlap tent with no top.....and we would go in and see the show complete with cartoons and news bits and what was coming soon just like you would see at the local drive-in or indoor theater sitting on the old ball field seats.  Can't remember the price of admission --- probably 10 or 15 cents.  During intermission we would run back 75 feet to old Joe's tavern for a coke or piece of candy.  Nothing like sitting out under the stars watching movies.  All dirt roads save for the one bringing you into town from old Hwy 50 past the coal mine.  It kept going all the way to the other end of town where it once again led out on Hwy. 50.  It was blacktop.  There were no named streets there.....the whole town had the address of Route 1.  I hate to say it, but it is pathetic now and though some of the people I grew up with are still there, most of the people there are not the loving families that were a part of my childhood.....where every adult was to be listened to and respected.  A better description might be trashy trailer town full of dopers.  It was a beautiful childhood and I would not trade it if I could but I am left with only great memories because the store is gone, the mine is gone and what few actual houses are left are weathered looking and much older now....somehow looking so much smaller than the ones I remember. 

Enough of my remembrances....sorry I got so carried away....but a little yearning showed up for the simplicity of my life as a pre-teen and teen-ager and the words kept falling out.  

Nuff' from me.

Jackie 

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010

Hi Linda, Sorry you are on this trip...we are all here to help support you.     Triple Neg is a b...  I'll stop complaining about my AI pains and aches. 

I'll be 4 years since diagnosis in June.  Rita's right...the worst is the decisions and for me it was the mastectomy.  After that wasn't fun but it was easier mentally because I decided to fight the beast.   I am blessed with a supportive family and friends (well maybe not all) 

Pam  you are the best person to decide what you need to tell others.  I found some people didn't even want to know anything, others were telling me what their friend or relative did and  some as I mentioned a year ago told me if I feng shui 'ed everything would have been okay.  LOL

The biggest lesson I've learned (or one of them) is that everyone deals with this disease in their own way.  My way is good for me, Your way is good for you.   My treatment decisions are the best I can make at the time with the information I have.  I stopped second guessing myself after the  mastectomy and AC.   From then on I knew best.  I've lost  a few " friend" who really weren't but I've found a lot of people who are better friends.   Plus I've found a safe place to talk about some of my feelings so I don't feel like I'm always complaining to family.

People say I'm brave...I'm not ...I just get through one day at a time.   I try to have a positive attitude but there are days I wanted to hide in a closet and cry.   But you can get through it.

Sorry to ramble on....Hang in there you are not alone.  

Rita Congrats...on your grandson.   Three sons for me...not  grandkids...can't wait.

Jan ...I agree that Jo says it all very well.    I gave up diet everything in the last year.  I now eat all fresh food,  yogurt  and occasionally a glass of red wine once a week. I drink tea...black 2 cups, green cup decaf at night.  I found magnesium and miralax  helped me get back on track. (on the advice of a gastroenterologist  for divertriculitis)

Over the past year  I've lost 10lbs.  but I could lose another 30...If it comes off I'll be happy but I'm doing the best I can.   Just tired but also have some blood issues unrelated to bc. 

Goodnight ladies...Keep the snow away from NJ.  

I'd love to have grown up in small town. I was born in a small city of 8 million...although believe it or not the neigborhood I grew up in was similiar to the small town of 20,000 I live in now.   Our moms knew all the other moms and there was that mom telegraph that kept us all in line.  My kids still talk about how they could do nothing wrong without getting "caught" by someone's mother.

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2009

Hello Ladies (& gents):

I am leaving for Johns Hopkins tomorrow for surgery on Monday. Bilat mx w/DIEP. Please, everyone say a little prayer for me that I make it thur this 12-14 hr surgery. I am sooooo scared,but I know God will be with me. He's already let me know that. But I'm still scared. Scared of the incisions, the drains, the not being able to do anything, the pain, the 7 hr ride home, the hospital stay, the loss of my breasts, never to be the same again. I'm scared of MRSA.  I'm having a melt down again and I don't want to do this in front of dh and my daughter who is here to go with me. She's leaving her 3 small children to be with me. She's a wonderful daughter. I don't know what I'd do without her.

Also, please say a prayer for dh and daughter. Daughter is flying back home next Thursday and it's her first flight. She's sooooo scared and I won't be able to see her off. Seems like I need so many prayers  right now.

Thanks to everyone. God bless you beautiful women!

• kmccraw423
    edited March 2009

Of course you are scared.  This whole cancer thing is scary but your motto at the bottom of your post says it all.   I will pray for skilled surgeons, a peace of your soul and a calming in your mind that all will go well.  If you have always been the strong one in the family, maybe you could let your daughter and husband be the strong ones this time.  Hugs and prayers always.

• kmccraw423
    edited March 2009

I was cruising the boards and came across a couple of posts having to do with DIEP concerns under Breast Reconstruction.  You might want to check it out.

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2009

mikita......you have a huge huge support group here with you, all of us want only the best for you.....we all wish we could be right there beside you, not being able to we will keep you in each of our prayers instead. I can only speak for myself, but I found, that when the time and day actually came for my surgery, I was suddenly very calm and very accepting of what was being done to and for me. Up until that day I had melt down after meltdown and was sure I would freak on the day of surgery, my surgery wasnt extensive as yours will be , but I have a feeling the calm and the peace and the acceptance are the same, your faith and your trust kick in and you just sort of go with it. Having said all that.....we are all with you, and waiting for the good news that you are back home and healing. With love.....

jan

• illinoislady
    edited March 2009

Mikita---prayers, prayers and more prayers.  So glad you stopped in as several of us were getting edgy about you.  I thought about a pm but felt maybe you needed some extra time away from here and all of us while you continued to sort things out and spend time with family and other loved ones near at hand. As is said....the darkest hour is just before dawn.  I wish for you the peace that passes all understanding.  You have made a choice and I wish for you peace, bravery and conviction all at the same time.  Our strength and wishes and prayers are here for you and will go with you where ever you are.  Prayers & wishes for your family as well.

To everyone....I hope you have a wonderful Sunday.  I will be checking back later.

Hugs,

Jackie

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2009

Mikita,

I'm praying for God's peace and healing for you and that your husband and daughter will each feel that peace as they go through their own journey waiting for your surgery to be finished so they can meet up with you in the recovery room. 

Keep looking ahead to the better days to come.  You have powerful prayers and powerful medicine on your side!

(((((Hugs, Mikita)))))   Helen

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009

Mikita - our arms are around you for support and our prayers are on the way for you and your daughter.  You are strong in your faith and that will get you through this.

Stella - thank you so much for telling us about Nicki.  I still don't quite understand all that happened, but that;s not the issue.  Please let her know she has so many friends thinking about her.

And, I'm so sorry to hear of your dx.  Life can really suck.  Despite some apparent poopheads, this is a super place to hang out.  There is so much support and love here.

Welcome

Susan