Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,463
    edited March 2011

Oh my, my.  I missed my anniversary here.  I started posting on here when it was still a thread and many of us were hoping the moderators would make it a Forum for us.  Lisa, you will remember that I'm sure.  I first posted on page 9 and you had posted awhile before me.  One of these days I'll have to check and see when it did become an official forum.

My thanks once again to the moderators as I say hi to srbrestcancersurvivor.

IlinoisLady

Edited to add:  anniversary date....2-27-09

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited March 2011

just got home from a walk...no flat parts to  it  very steep hill up and down..

but look at what a beautiful flower I saw in my neighbor's yard,

wish it were mine.

• Unknown
    edited March 2011

Lisa, Believe it or not it was a beautiful day for a walk here today also....just looked and it is 70o on the thermometer.....amazing since yesterday AM was when I took the pic of the snow.  No roses here though for a long time yet, but I did see crocus yesterday. 

I had a modified radical mastectomy since that was what my surgeron (had not even seen an onco yet then) recommended, but much later they started saying lumpectomies were just as effective. 

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited March 2011

Srbreastcancersurvivor....thanks for the good thoughts.  You sound to me like you do pretty well......I'm not a pill taker, so I sure would like to do without all that mess........I'm dopey enough without it........I have already seen a RA, and that was the suggestion.  I know I'm asking for a lot, but all I want is no nodes......that part scares the hell out of me, more then the damn tumor.....My 6 kids were fighting the other day over who was taking me to the hospital on Monday for the surgery.........If I get 1 more text message telling me another kid is taking me, I'm gonna throw my cell phone down the toilet, and swear it fell in accidentally.......I know they mean well, but for God sake I can drive myself......If I drove to the hospital while having a heart attack I damn sure can find the hospital on Monday.............All I really care about is the ride back home.  I want to get as far away from that "tumor", and the "hospital" as fast as I can.............Someone asked me the other day do I ever say ";why me"............I said back "why not me"...............I don't think she expected that answer...................I believe the good Lord never gives you more then you can handle.  Being on this forum, and seeing what so many of these ladies have gone through makes me pick up my cross, and follow in their footsteps.............they are the brave ones.......I am one of the more fortunate, I have lived to see Great-grandhchildren, how many of the women here can say that..............if there is a lesson in this illness, I truely hope I find it.  hugs ladies.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited March 2011

Hi girls, just having a quiet Sunday morning here and wating for the rain to start...maybe.  It is forecast but that doesn't mean much here as the meteorologists are often wrong.

Ducky, goodluck with your surgery on Monday, hope everything goes well for you.

stbreastcancersurvivor, good luck with you RO consult on Wednesday.

Lisa, what is the 'green flash'?  I've never heard of it but the photo looks real interesting.  The poppy is stunning as is the rose.  Keep 'em coming girl I just love your flower pics!

Alyson, oooo I feel for you girl, RA is n a s t y !  You just take it easy until it eases off a little.

I had a lovely chat with SV yesterday until her phone battery died and cut us off.  I know the get together is stll months away but boy, am I getting excited....oh yeah!!!  I'm looking at getting an around the world ticket as I think it's going to work out cheaper that way.  The idea with those is you can choose where and when you travel as long as you continue in a forward direction that way I can do as many stops as I like....yay!  Will be chatting to the travel agent as soon as I get my passport.  Don't have ione of those as I've never been out of Australia....until September that is.  Marybe I'm checking into all the things I would like to see, but I will probably be happy to just take masses of photos of your beautiful diverse country by visiting nation parks and the coast lines.  If you have checked out the 'Beachies' thread you will see quite a few of my pics of water and the sea.  I seem to be facinated with the movement of light on water and the crashing of waves on shore or rocks.  I am easily pleased when it comes to scenery as I see beauty in the most harshest of views.  So if there is something special in the areas of the people I will visit that you deem a 'must see' please let me know.  I do intend to do much chatting while I'm there as well.  Marybe you will be happy to hear that I am a bit of a nightowl as well but you probably have already wored that out by now...lol

Oh my!  I have raved on haven't I....well, you girls enjoy the rest of your weekend and I catch up later.

Love n hugs to all.  Chrissy

• Unknown
    edited March 2011

DuckyB.....re your reply of Why not me?.....excellent answer.  With an outlook like that I have a feeling you are going to do just fine.  I truly feel that having breast cancer makes us stronger individuals.  Hope the surgery goes well.   

I have not yet checked on Skyp Chrissy, but plan on doing so.  Seems like all I have done this weekend is look at toilets, medicine cabinets and such.  Wow, your weekend is just about gone.  Do you do daylight savings time?  Tonight we spring forward. 

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited March 2011

Marybe..we are 'springing ' in a week !!

Isabella.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited March 2011

We will 'fall back' in three weeks. Thought you might like to see the last of my roses. This rose is an old-fashioned one with a lovely scent and didn't flower in spring (it was new) so this it was a surprise when it budded. I am going to let it grow up the wall.

Chrissy, I haven't seen your skype on?? Must go and have a rest for a while. A friend has invited us for dinner so that will be pleasant.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,463
    edited March 2011

Alyson....how very pretty.  I hope you don't mind but I put it in my Pic's album.  My mom always had roses in our yard and the smell was fantastic.  I always think of her when I see roses.

IllinoisLady

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited March 2011

Marybe, this is my stove.

Wish the bench looked like this at present

• Unknown
    edited March 2011

Oh Alyson!   It is absolutely beautiful!  The color would be perfect in my kitchen.  Some people get excited over diamonds....me, I am in love with kitchens and really nice appliances.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited March 2011

Wow Lisa, that flower looks like it could be made in crepe paper. Anyone remember crepe paper, I recall dressing dolls in crepe paper and using its stretch factor to make ruffles and trim. I also remember  decorating a hall for my cousins wedding and arriving the next afternoon to find all of our stramers hanging down to the floor!   

Thanks for the proetty flowers. It is very green here but no other colors on the landscape just yet. 

GInger

• Unknown
    edited March 2011

Ginger,  Of course I remember crepe paper....my skin looks like it today!!  I remember making carnations out of kleenex.  

• socallisa
    edited March 2011

You are too funny Marybe

• socallisa
    edited March 2011

How about decorating the gym for a dance with crepe paper streamers

• mcbird
    mcbird Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2011

Or decorating a float with kleenex flowers and crepe paper. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited March 2011

Lisa-what the heck is the green flash!!! I see it on the thing but what is the thing?? And do I need to imbibe (I'm sober now) to see it??

Alyson, your stove is just the bomb!! I have to get me one-is it special order??? I have not seen anything like this in the USA. {{{{Gentle hugs}}}}

MB-I am making carnations out of the skin on the top of my hand!! TMI!!

Moma Osprey bringing fish home to the nest.

Quote for the day-" A stick in the eye is better than two in the bush "  Ruth:

Big smooshy kisses! SV

• socallisa
    edited March 2011

SV, the green flash happens in a second sometimes when the sun is setting over water, maybe too  when it is rising, but I have never seen it..

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    edited March 2011

Hey, everybody--just set the clocks forward an hour for daylight saving time.  UGH.  Don't mind it a bit when we set the clocks back in the fall (more sleep!) but hate it in the spring.  Truly, I'd rather we just didn't mess with the time at all.

Gentle hugs for Duckyb and Alyson.  Prayers going up for you with your surgery, Ducky, and Alyson, sorry you're having problems with the RA. Hope it eases up soon.  You certainly have an awesome stove.

Glad to hear your good news, Dragon.  And Lisa, thanks for the photos as always.  We sure don't have anything bloming here except daffodils, and some Bradford pear trees, but our Judas tree is soon to bloom.  

Good day today.  DH had to speak at an Eagle Scout ceremony and I had the house to myself and watched the semi-final of the Atlantic Coast Conference basketball game without his comments about my team, Carolina.  Tomorrow will be bad around here, because in the final Carolina plays Duke, his team..  Only one of us will be happy. 

Finally, I joined Facebook tonight.  Haven't done anything except join and send a few friend requests, but wanted to know how I connect with the group here.  Anybody help?

Beautiful picture of the mother osprey, SV.  Thanks.

Kathy

• Gratefulone
    Gratefulone Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2011

I'm trying to understand the whole "stage" thing.  I was reading the thread on celebrating stage 3 women who have made it 5 years out, then was surprised to see a number of stage 4 (IV) women who are surviving well over five years.   I'm coming to terms with being stage 3 and wondering how to think about this.  Is 5 years a stretch?  A likelihood?  What about making it 10 more years?  How does all this work?  

• socallisa
    edited March 2011

Even with staging all of us are different...so it is hard to make statement about that

that I can see..

• Unknown
    edited March 2011

You can make it 5 yrs at Stage lll and stay there or even 10 or even more....it just depends.  I have been Stage lV for 13 years now.  I wasn't really even a stage and passed that magic 5 yr mark and after 8 yrs was diagnosed Stage lV.  I am not telling you this to scare you and don't think it would have happened if I had been going to a good oncologist, but I wasn't and what did I know about cancer?, pretty much nothing.  They used to think  5 yrs was a magic # or something, but it isn't.  However there is no reason to believe that you won't make it well past that.  I think they should outlaw statistics.  We are individuals and we are all different and respond differently.  We are not statistics. Try not to worry too much about the staging.  I am Stage lV and someone else is Stage 1 and you Stage lll.....the way I look at it we are all women dealing with breast cancer from different places and points in our lives, but we are all in the same boat.  You will learn a lot from the women who post on this board.   

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited March 2011

Hi Gratefulone, welcome.   It is not neccessarily your fate that you will only last five years.  There are many, many women living very long and productive lives and in essence defying the statistics.  IMHO, thinking just five years is limiting yourself.  If you are happy that you have done or are doing all that you can treatment wise, there is no reason why you should not continue to live a long life.  There is no crystal ball that will predict anything for us so live your life to the fullest and enjoy every moment of it!

Peace, strength, love n hugs.  Chrissyb

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited March 2011

Lisa, no shyte....i have never heard of that-that is SO INCREDIBLY COOL! Oh great now i will be obsessed.

Gratefulone-everyone is different-ya' get to find out that very little is known about cancer in each individual. Cancer is cancer and no guarantees in any case-my 2 cents anyway!

GOD BLESS JAPAN!

GOD BLESS CHRIST CHURCH!

SV

• socallisa
    edited March 2011

SV..here is a picture I tried to take..you can see the little tiny thing above the sun

just after it goes over the horizon..that is really green, but my camera didn't catch it.

• Gingerbrew
    edited March 2011

Lisa if you can find the time, how about taking that shot every day at sunset. I figure eventually you will get the green flash. Or maybe I should go seach Yahoo photos right now and look for it. Might save you some time there. :) Thank you for all of your photos. They remind me we are very close to spring here.

• Gingerbrew
    edited March 2011

I got it!

• Gingerbrew
    edited March 2011
  • Gingerbrew
    edited March 2011

another green flash

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2011

I'm still having a problem remembering I'm now 68.  My birthday on the 3rd was "celebrated" by my daughter and husband joining me on my first visit with my soon-to-be surgeon.  A lumpectomy is scheduled for the 16th and further treatment recommendations will follow after the pathology report.  It took awhile for the shock to wear off and since then I've bounced between complete avoidence to drowning in information.  It's not like this has been unexpected since both my daughter and my mother have had breast cancer but it still was a sucker punch to my mind.  I'm sleeping with the aid of tranks to help my exploding mind to shut-up.  It doesn't help that my job will now be in jeopardy.  Because I'm part-time I don't qualify for FMLA but I might be granted shared leave - I am not a "spotlight" person and I'm cringing at the thought of having to ask people for leave and asking them to spread the word.  I have an excellent support team plus two loving dogs.  I've been reading this thread and would like to join you.