Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• dragonflymary
    dragonflymary Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2011

Join me all--it's our time to be a complete nuisance, make a lot of strange noises and laugh for no reason at all!!  Got a lotta red and purple in my closet!  love all ya' Dragon

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited March 2011

I read that poem at one of my retirement things - wearing a purple shirt and really  terrible shorts. 

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2011

Thanks again for the warm welcome you've all given me.  Wednesday's my big day - get to go one place to get a wire placed, another to have radioactive tracer injected, and then on to another for a lumpectomy!  I finally read through Dr. Love's book - which you guys reminded me to read - I had forgotten my surgeon had given it to me.  It's given me a clearer picture of the whys & hows of what "they" are doing to me...  Surprised  It's an excellent book - I can see why it's recommended.  I've been approved for shared leave so there's a much better chance I will be able to keep my job.  I "retired" for a year and then went back to work part-time when I ran out of things to keep me going - couldn't stand the rocking chair.  I wouldn't be much of a candidate out on the open job market these days.  Hundreds of people would be in line for my job though.  In 1978 I had kidney stone surgery and I remember a nurse holding my hand as I went under the anesthesia - then in 2006 I had knee surgery and I remember a nurse holding my hand - also last year when I had lap-band surgery - to me, that was the last and first things I remembered.  I hope they teach all nurses to do that....

Martha

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited March 2011

Good luck on Wednesday Martha, hope the nurse holds your hand for you and if she doesn't, remember we are crowded around ready to .

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited March 2011

we're all here, holding your hand, Martha!!!        3jays

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited March 2011

Good wishes Martha for your proceedures. 

This crises in Japan has really hit me. Now the quake is registered in the US too as a 9.0 quake, I work for a mission in Haiti and if the quake there had been a 9.0 Haiti would simply be dust. 

The suddeness of the Tsunami was horrific. Nature is so majestic and so cruel, I feel really sad for the people. 

Ginger

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited March 2011

error

• dogeyed
    dogeyed Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2011

Ladies, I'm sorry, I fell off the face of the planet for a few days, and had nearly forgotten I had posted a couple times here, about how I thought my age and car accident may be contributing to my problems with chemo.  I usually post over in Chemo, Before, After for Feb 2011, and at least try to keep those women regularly updated, so that's where I am if you need to find me.  Thank you all for the ideas and encouragement last time I posted.  I will be seeing my breast surgeon day before Chemo #3, will ask him to show me my growths on my mammograms, ask for better side effect drugs, and tell him just how sick I've been this time, had nightmares and fevers until just two days ago, have had almost continuous diarrhea, and sore feet, none of which I had after the first few days of Chemo #1 and certainly nothing so long as this time. 

I'm gonna suggest to doc if a new batch of meds won't help, then he'll probably be seeing me in the hospital, cuz I'll surely not make it if I have another week like last one.  I AM TERRIFIED of going thru this again, I am just so teary-eyed about it all, actually had one day where I was awake and dreaming, a dejavu experience, for a whole morning, scary.  So, just wanted to let you all know I'm having a good talk with my doc tomorrow, hopefully he won't put me in danger again.  I've determined my age isn't what has caused this, but I should think my poor health will make room for doc to change things in a positive way for me now.  I've said where I post now, but if any other age-related type things come up, of course I'll come back.  Thanks again for you all's special help during that rough patch I had.  GG 

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited March 2011

Well Ladies it is I.........Duckyb1, the day after surgery......... I have read so many posts this morning and remembered  how I was feeling 1 month ago today..............Again that was the day I got the phone call........come back, we need to redo your mammogram...........At 76 years old (next month(, I thought I dodged the bullet, well I didn't.  After the 2nd, mammogram, ultrasound, Nurse Navigator, BS, and biopsy, I got the news.............Well I have to say that was a month of pure hell......anyone who read my previous posts knows my deepest thoughts.......Waiting is the worst part.......I did have surgery yesterday, and must say the worst part  was the prep before th actual surgery, finding the sentinel node (fun, fun, fun, especially when they do the breast massage)...........if my husband was still alive, and massaged my breasts the same way that technician did he would have not lived to see the next "light of day"

Well the "support team" came in (my 6 children), and trust me when I tell you the hospital will never be the same again..........by the time it was all over from sentinel node dye with massage at 7:30am, till the final curtain call at 2pm I was referred to as the "patient" with the "entourage" in all the waiting rooms................One nurse told another team of nurses "we have something outside in the waiting room between "The Brady Bunch", and "Comedy Central"........I don't know how many times my kids as they arrived said to me "Mom you have your slipper socks on upside down".........Finally after child #3 I took a piece of paper and wrote on it, and hung taped it to my hospital gown that said "my slipper socks are not on upside down" the pattern is on the top and bottom......I also complained for a month had I not missed my mammogram for that 1 year I would have had a smaller tumor (mine was less then 2cm), it would not have been invasive, and I would not have had to have the sentinel node biopsy and massage by (Tech Rachet with the Catcher Mitt Hands).......While waiting for the "lobe wire" another tech in the mammogram room said to me "your son (the oldest clown) said to tell you "if you would not have missed your 1 year mammogram you would not have had to do this part of the testing).  Repeating the words I'm sure he got sick of hearing", which I literally said everyday.  Well I also suggested he get the (massage to his "unmentionable parts", by Tech Ratchet.................So on to the surgery, which was the easiest part of the whole damn day..................Tomorrow all the pathology will be in..............as of now I had the lumpectomy........Dr. said the nodes looked clean, but to be sure he took a piece of the pad...............also said he got the tumor 2cm.............and on palpation of the tumor extraction he was able to palpate a good area round the tumor that was negative.......of course tomorrow all the pathology comes in, will see him Thursday for the final result.  It sounds good, but again we know how that can shift..............Because of the invasive part I will still need radiation, and a follow-up pill of some sort............The ladies told me numerous times that as the days go by each gets a little easier to handle...........It is true, and hard as it is to belive it.......(One small note)........The nurses in the recovery room said to me.............Once we have you sitting up we will bring back your entourage..........I said "yes, send in the clowns"...............They all laughed and said "do you know how seldom we see this kind of a support team.  Your children are wonderful, and you are one of the luckiest patient's we have had in this area........I said back to them..........they are my life, and my reason to live.............all 6 of them, my 18 grand-children, and my 2 new twin baby (1week old)  girls....................Yes I am a great-grandmother for the 1st time...........

Yesterday on March 14th I got rid of the "beast".......I know he can rear his ugly head again.......but i will fight with my whole being, and pray my best prayers that he and I have seen each other for the last time..........At 76 years (on April 24th) I will fight the good fight,  and say each and everyday..............I had cancer..........It did not have me..............To all my old friends, and my new friends here...........thanks for your love and support..........you are my backup team to my wonderful 1st Team..........my family..............TODAY I SMILE Cool 

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited March 2011

Yay Ducky!!!!   sooo glad to hear that you have successfully arrived at the other side of the lumpectomy with 'clowns' in tow.!  Your attitude is just wonderful and will carry you such a long, long way.  Congratulations on being a Great Grandma!  with twins no less!  Absolutely wonderful and you need to be around  to see them grow.  Do keep coming back and let us know how you are faring and how those wondeful babies are growing!

Love n hugs.  Chrissyb

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited March 2011

CrissyB...............thanks for your post, and I will never leave you ladies.........the thoughts, words of wisdom, and prayers, and what got me through this, and will bring me back.....

Must say I love that little face.  Your reason to go on..................Have a wonderful day, and I will keep yo posted...........now on to the next step.........hugs to you and that sweet little face.

• lwd
    lwd Member Posts: 234
    edited March 2011

DuckyB,

You've been through so much lately and have maintained such a sense of humor.  What great support from your family.  Congrats on the new little one.  Keep on truckin'.  Things will start to look up now.

Lane

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited March 2011

ChevyBoy, missed you! Dragon, you kick behind gal! From a 59 year old and holding. Ducky, so glad you have that behind you!! Dogeyed, you poor thing. Please get your onc to give you better drugs to help you with the side effects! You should not have to suffer like that!

SV is in the hospital with pnuemonia. Her father and brother drove her into Elizabeth City (the ER on the OBX is useless, they kept sending her home). She is feeling much much better now. Don't know how long she will be in but PM me if you want her number there.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,463
    edited March 2011

Ducky -- you are a breathing walking positive attitude.  I have gotten a little bah humbug proposing positive attitude......but it makes for such a good beginning to the fight.  Yes, alone it is not so much but put together with someone who is determined to be a winner rather than a why me whiner......it will do so very, very much.  I always think of that quote...." I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet". 

Having said that....I also think anyone who needs some rant time, and a little bit of the why me time also deserves it.  If it helps you to get back to your fighting, winning stance I say go for it.  Another good quote that I love is " Tough times don't last, tough people do".  I also love you and your clowns....family can be everything.

dogeyed....glad to hear you are going to have that chat with your Dr.  There is so much out now to help us get through what can be an extremely difficult time for some. Just keep at it until you are satisfied. 

Heard my grandson is safe ( in the Navy ) now on board ship in the Tokyo harbor.  He was on land when the quake and tsunami came.  Pictures are almost beyond coprehension.  Many prayers for them all still.

Hope you all have a good day. 

IllinoisLady

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited March 2011

Morning Jackie!  Almost like old times, Ha!  I didn't know about your Grand-son being on-board ship!  Man, I worry about MY Grand-sons just driving between Tallahassee & Orlando!   Thank God he is alright!  I've been watching what is going on in Japan, & it just breaks your heart.  So much devastation and heart-ache....I just can't imagine.....

This catastrophe has got to be worse than WW2 for them!   It sounds like it just keeps getting worse.....  prayers for all of the survivors.

• Ludricus
    Ludricus Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011

I am 68 and just dx 2/24/2011.

• barbaraa
    edited March 2011

Welcome Ludricus. This is a fine group of gals. We are here to help you with anything you might need.

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

Morning Chevy....yep it does feel like old times.  I was sort of holding my breath about gs but didn't much realize it until I let it out. 

Ludricus...glad you found us here.  The one good thing about our maturity here is that I heard for the most part.....those getting this diagnosis at a later date in life seem to do better over-all.  I can hang my hat on that.  Hope you will come often. 

Exercise and nutrition class today.  I'm looking forward to this. 

Hugs,

IllinoisLady

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited March 2011

MUST be almost spring..

I just loved this balloon I saw at a balloon festival

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

That is  so magnificient Lisa as usual.  Tulips are one of our first signs of Spring.....hurry tulips.

IllinoisLady

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

Found this in my mail......thought you might all enjoy it:

Do more than wish, believe.

Do more than advise, help.

Do more than speak, impart.

Do more than change, improve.

Do more than reach, stretch.

Do more than encourage, inspire.

(--Author Unknown)

IllinoisLady

• susgul
    susgul Member Posts: 104
    edited March 2011

Hi Ludricus and welcome to our group.  You will find an abundance of love and support, here.  Never hesitate to reach out.  Susan

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited March 2011

Duckyb1 - I read your post this morning, went out and continued to think about it, marvelling at the camaraderie with and amongst your children. You sure did something right to get that sort of support back from them.  What's your secret?!

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2011
    Hi Ludricus!  Yes, everyone is welcome here!  Most of us have already been through the "hardest" part, but some like Marybe will inspire you, because she has the attitude that she is "doing fine"..... Welcome!!!
  • Chevyboy
    edited March 2011

Oh Ducky! I forgot to Welcome you too!   And so glad  you came through the surgery as well as you have!  Your fam sounded like mine!  Our oldest Daughter flew in from Orlando to take care of "Dad" with our youngest Daughter, AND our "daughter from another mother" little Rosie, 52, from Viet Nam!  So while I was sound asleep, they all went out to shop and eat!  

The Surgeon had to call our oldest, to tell them "She is fine, & out of surgery, & where ARE you?"  Ha, ha!  So they all came to bring my clothes, so I could go home!  Wink  We all went shopping the next day even....Set off the alarms on the door of Ross, when we were leaving, because that nuclear dye wasn't out of my system yet!  I just turned around and laughed...

And yes, you are right!  We are "done" with it now, & if it comes back, we'll know what to do!  Great attitude! 

Thanks Barb...missed you too.....

• barbaraa
    edited March 2011

Well, gals, just wanted to share this pic of a bottle brush tree. My beach town has these lining the approach to downtown. Just so pretty this time of year.

Still praying for the Japanese people. Hope you all have a lovely rest of the day!

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited March 2011

Lovely

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

Ah...bottle brush trees were all over in California.  Amazed me when I first saw them.  Lived in California for 25 years.  I don't really miss it.  It was fun to eat Christmas dinner on a picnic table out in the yard now and then...but I prefer a real White Christmas.

See ya all later.

IllinoisLady

• Unknown
    edited March 2011
    Remember that puppy I was telling your about next door named Castro?  Well, I got a few pics of him tonight with some difficulty because as most puppies are, he is very active.  He is a Cane Corso which I looked up on google and he is going to be a VERY large dog.  It's a type of Italian Mastiff and it looks like when he matures he is going to have a square face with huge jaws.  Anyway, this is what he looks like now...when he barks it isn't really a bark, it is sort of like a bay (think that is the right term....a sound I would imagine coming from the hound of the Baskervilles) But as for now, he is a very sweet little puppy.  The boy said he sure does poop a lot and I asked in his cage and he said everywhere....I thought they always said they would not go where they sleep....have never crated a dog or trained one that way so don't know myself.  Heck, that is probably where we went wrong...all of ours should be living in cages most of the time.  I took him a couple of books I got TIm which I am sure he never even looked at.  After I get off of here I am going to FB to see if someone can explain Skype to me and then maybe we can give it a try.  I am ready for my close up, Mr.DeMille. 
  • illinoislady
    edited March 2011

Marybe....you usually crate train dogs as they really don't like to potty where they must sleep, and then early in the morn you rush them outside to do their business and the moment they do it you give them good praise.  Dogs, though it sometimes does not seem like it, live to please you -- so if you give the idea you WANT them to go outside, and use this method ( the crate especially )  and praise at the very moment they have relieved themselves.....you will soon have  a dog who will PLEASE you by only going outisde.  Then they no longer need the crate.

IllinoisLady