Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited December 2011

Karra......................enjoy....................my son leaves tomorrow night for his cruise too...............you have a wonderful time Girlie, you have earned it.................hugs.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited December 2011

Kaara!  Have a great time on your trip!  Aren't you glad the New Year is almost here?  What a great way to finish this last year for you!   Glad you are through the hard part!  Take good care!

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited December 2011

Its late, woke up from pain in legs and arms, took a pain pill and decided to get on the computer to take my mind off of it.  Having alot of problems with this homrone blocking med Anastrazole.  It is driving me crazy.  I feel like I have PMS, mood swings are bad.  This afternoon all I could do was cry.

After I took a pain pill and it kicked in I finally was able to settle down.  Will see the ONC on Jan. 5th and have a discussion.

Our 33 year old daughter who was treated for Hodgkins in 1998 & 99 has a knot on the back of her neck so she has to have a PET scan on Jan. 5th also, going to be a busy day.  We are hoping it is nothing, no other symptoms.  

Wishing you a Happy New Year, hope 2012 is better.

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2011

Morning gals!  Marcha, I'm so sorry about all the problems you hare having with Arimidex....  Jackie, do those symptoms sound familiar to you? 

I dom't mean to discourage you, but a friend who was taking the same thing had to quit because she couldn't stand the pain in her legs, feet & everywhere.  She talked to her Oncologist about it....But she thought her quality of life was worth more than that pill. 

Maybe your Onco will prescribe something else?  Tell her how bad it is.... & hopefully she won't prescribe you something else to take WITH the Arimidex to help your symptoms!

I'm so sorry about your Daughter!  Maybe it is just a benign cyst?  My Husband always got those when he was younger... Even THAT had to be removed...... Let us know!

The New Year is almost here....I KNOW it will be better for you!  Lots of love....xoxoxo

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,495
    edited December 2011
  • illinoislady
    edited December 2011

Good morning friends,

Marcha, I am so sorry to hear that you continue to have such debilitating problems with Arimidex.  I hope that your Oncologist will find it appropriate to switch you to Femara or something else.  I think you would more than likely notice a very HUGE positive difference.  It seems from most that I have heard about or from -- that they certainly did.  I think no one who has gone through their chemo/and or other txs. should have to come so far only to find the 5 yr. pill making them ill and miserable. 

I have had so little difficulty over-all with mine ( Arimidex )  and count myself fortunate.  Seems I had to "get used to it " when Arimidex went to generic, but after a couple of months --- just when I was wondering if I would have to switch --  things came right and now the few days it may flare a bit ( seems to be related in part to weather changes ) just isn't enough to move me.

I hope as well that all turns out ok with your daughter.  It seems like your plate is a bit full with this new yr. starting, but I am praying that it will all settle out in ways that can bring you peace and renewed energy to embrace life. 

I am so thankful for not only all the trials, tribulations and absolute joy I found in 2011, but for all of you.  Were it not for this awful disease I wouldn't have learned all I have, and would not have felt the growth I believe has so fortunately come to me, nor would I have reached out to so many wonderful women to share my and your life nor to help relieve the burdens that come with it. 

I hope that 2012 becomes a very good -- if not great year for each of you. 

Hopeful, healing hugs,

Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2011

Happy New Year everyone!  Wind is really howling here, all across the State!  6,000 people are without power in Breckenridge, and all kinds of trees are breaking & falling over....  The high winds blew our pilot light out for our furnace, so we waited a few hours & lit it again....DH could hear the wind howling down through the roof vent! 

And then DD is at Cocoa Beach laying in the sun!  She sent me a pic...with her cute little toes showing, in front of the sun-bathers & the beach!  It's hard to imagine, until you see the pictures. Wink

I'be been enjoying my Nook, and downloading free & $1 books from B&N!   Got it all figured out now....I've already read 2 short stories! 

Have a beautiful New Year everyone!  Take good care! xooxo

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,106
    edited January 2012

Mommarch, I take 75 mg effexor generic daily to help with the SEs of Arimidex generic.  It helps.   I also take glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oil and trying to exercise regularly.  I enjoy walking and walk 45 to 50 min. in my neighborhood.  2 1/2 to 3 miles.  I also play golf a couple of times a week.  It's very important to keep moving.

I hope you get good news about your daughter's health. 

Happy 2012 to all!!!

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012
    "The fact that I can plant a seed and it becomes a flower,
    share a bit of knowledge and it becomes another's, smile at
    someone and receive a smile in return, are to me continual
    spiritual exercises."

-- Leo Buscaglia
  • carolehalston
    edited January 2012

DH and I are having an enjoyable New Year's Day here in south Louisiana.  It's sunny outside and mild.  But breezy.  His hummingbird whirligig is spinning its wings vigorously!  The Saints are leading the Panthers in the Saints' last season game.  Later we're going to the home of friends who live a few miles away.  I'm looking forward to standing rib roast for dinner.

Hope everyone is having a good New Year's Day.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited January 2012

I am mostly a lurker anymore but wanted to log in and wish everyone a healthy and happy new year. My New Years resolution is to try to put BC on a back burner ( as much as you can when continuing treatment with anti hormones and being diligent with all your follow up appts) and get back some of my joie de vivre. Sending joy to all of you.

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Happy New Year gals!  Don't mind at all, PJ....Always love to see your Avatar!  My oldest Daughter lives in Orlando, & she sent me a picture of her at the beach yesterday, at Daytona Beach.  It was so cute, because her toes were in the picture, along with the other beach goers, and then the ocean! 

And here we sit, after nearly getting blown off this side of the earth yesterday, and warming up to 32 today....Undecided  But it's a beautiful start to the New Year....  I'm not on any hormone anything...Ha!  Just going to my PC for check-ups & Mammograms.  So far, so good.

I've been whipping my Nook into shape!  It is really getting to be fun!  Soooo many free books to download...I check the star ratings, then the Author, then the reviews!  They have over 66,000 pages to look through for those free books!  30 books to each page.  And the best part is I can now download them to my PC, then to my Nook, and magically they are there!   I have read 2 short stories, and one other book by Danielle Steel, that I had started before I delved into the Nook world!  Wink

Have fun Carole, with that Prime Rib.... We're having crab-legs & salad, etc. for dinner.  You know what I made?  DH bought some tomato juice....  tastes so plain!  So I blended some diced frozen red & green bell peppers, onions, celery, seasoned salt, water, & I straightened that plain old juice into something drinkable!  Kind of like V8 juice.  MAYbe a little Vodka?  Ha, ha! 

Jackie, I loved that last quotation you posted!  They always "mean" something to me/us! You are the "rock" of this thread! xoxoxoxo

Happy New Year!

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012
    We would never have a word for Joy if there were no suffering.
    - Jonathan Lockwood Huie
  • illinoislady
    edited January 2012

Brrr....winter came overnight as usual.  At least we don't have snow, but the wind and the temps. are something else.  Will have to see where this takes us.  Otherwise, an ok day.  Tonight a grey ( the type that many people called a Russian Blue ) was outside eating the food I leave outside for the cats next door.  He or she was very pretty and had head down eating seriously --- so I'm thinking maybe quite hungry.  Ate every morsel in the dish.  I'm tempted to put more out though it is late and he has been gone for awhile.  Hope he is all right....at least I do know he got a nice meal for tonight. 

New Yrs. Resolution -- to lose the 4 lbs. I gained between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Thank goodness it wasn't more.....I think it could have been.

Going to work early tomorrow so I won't be on here until the afternoon.  I'll see you all then.

Hugs, Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited January 2012

Great to hear from you, pj.  I always enjoyed your posts in the "old days."  I still like to come online and visit with interesting and supportive women who have mainly moved on from the worst of the bc experience.  There are still some going through treatment.  I'm on arimidex and am doing ok with it.  The SEs are manageable.  It's hard to tell which SEs are arimidex and which are plain old aging!

I played duplicate bridge today.  A very challenging game.  My partner and I came in last!  I can only hope it was good exercise for my brain, which can use some exercise.  This retired writer is always searching for words that just won't come to mind.

I'm dreading tomorrow.  I'm having a bone graft as a preliminary to dental implants in about 4 months.  Sure hope it's successful because it's very expensive.

A good night to all.

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Morning gals!  Carole, I haven't heard of "duplicate bridge"  ....But it sounds interesting!   I think it's easier now for me, since I'm older to try & learn something new, than it was when we were younger, & raising a family, and no time to ourselves.

I mean I can figure out "stuff" now, a lot easier than I could years ago.  It's like we become raving genious's .....Wink I started out not knowing a THING about this Nook I got...Or how to get books on it...I muddled through for days, trying to figure it out by looking online...by going to B&N...and just by trial & error.... FINALLY it all came together, & I am a regular 'whiz-master' at sorting out the kind of books I want and getting them onto my Nook.... Even have a list with pictures of the books I have downloaded.... I'm on my 4th book now...I mean that I have read.  Most of them were free.

Jackie, how cute you found another little cat!  I miss feeding my neighbor cat....but THEY CAME HOME!!!  She was always waiting for me in her bed, with her eyes half closed, & meowing when I unlocked the garage door.... I know THEY feed her, but she just gets no attention... She is like a afterthought to THEM.  Maybe that is why she is so sweet, and thankful for anything she gets.

I put a new collar on her... & brought her an extra blanket, & lots of chicken before my time was up.  Wink  Their OTHER cat left home months ago...probably looking for someone who cared.  We see her at a neighbors house now & then, sitting in the sun.

Okay....going to jump-start this morning!  Y'all come back again now, ya hear? xoxo

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012
    Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.
    - Mother Teresa
  • illinoislady
    edited January 2012

Home at last......hmmm, long day when you start at 6 a.m. in the morning.  The past couple of times I've done this.....I keep waking up when I shouldn't.  I think it is the power of my own thoughts when I go to bed......I'm cautioning myself to be up and raring to go at 5 a.m.........unfortunately, I start about 2 a.m.  apparently in anticipation of accomplishing this feat.  I do it too.....all except for the raring to go part. 

Actually, I'm ok then, but I wear out much faster than I want too as we get up too afternoon.  I just feel like a balloon with a medium leak.  Getting dark now and I'm just able after all my errards and chores to sit down here. 

That Nook is starting to sound fun.  It would be a great way to always have a book with you....pretty much where ever you go. 

I think that cat found me, Jeannette. Anyway....I hate thinking a cat might be going hungry so I just enjoyed watching it through the window. 

I hope you are all going to have a fantastic eveing.  I'm going to un-wind in a short while, but try to stay awake till Dh gets home from work around 10 p.m.  I've tried that before and not done too well.  Anyway, I'll be back in the morning... See you all then.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Jackie, I don't think you could squeak out a minute of spare time, to enjoy a Nook....Ha!  I think Short Stories are the best!  Not so many characters, or situations where you can get "lost"....

My Router came yesterday, so I'll either send it back, or ask to see if either of my Grand-sons would like it.  I found out (too late) that I didn't need one.  For the initial set-up, & registration I did, but we went to B&N and it was done there.  And I don't have any other "gadgets" to play with so I don't need a  Wi-fi network. 

It's much easier to look on-line at B&N for books, read the reviews, the ratings, and THEN download onto my desk-top.  It would be easy to get mixed up!  Or download books you really don't want.

Our one neighbor cat Murphy, comes racing over everytime he hears our front door click open, if he is on the porch!  So DH & I BOTH are giving him treats, Ha!   He loves to be picked up & cuddled.... Lacee thinks he is some kind of toy, for her...Ha!  I have to put his treats on a chair, so she doesn't sneak them from him.

Supposed to warm up today!  Between 50 & 60!  It looked like Orlando has been really cool! 

I get up early every morning, but I go to bed about 8....Ha!   But it's fun to get on the computer while nothing is going on, or the TV blasting! 

Talk to you later! xoxoxo

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012
  • illinoislady
    edited January 2012
    If I had my way I'd make health catching instead of disease.
    ~Robert Ingersoll
  • illinoislady
    edited January 2012

Good morning this very cool morning here....no snow, yay, I think.  I keep thinking....when is winter going to hit and how loud will the bang be.  A few yrs. back we could pretty much depend on roughly one month of snow, and one month of really cold weather.  Not always in very good order, but interspersed.  This yr. so far it has stayed warm for the most part.  We had a couple of days where really light snowflakes came....but they were very sparse.

Oh well.......I should be thrilled and I am, but can't help waiting for the shoe to drop.

Hope you are all doing well --- Nancy, where are you now and what are you up too.

Hope there is a good day in store for all of us.  See you later.

Hugs, Jackie

p.s.  Love the picture above.

• carolehalston
    edited January 2012

The bone graft procedure wasn't fun but I survived it.  Both my jaws are out of commission for chewing since the piece of bone was removed from the lower left and placed in the upper right.  I'll be restricted to soft food until I heal.  My face is swollen today and I don't feel like doing anything but sit and take it easy. 

Chevy, duplicate bridge is very common and very popular.  It's played at bridge clubs where there's movement from one table to the next and everyone plays the same cards, which are organized in "boards."  It's the only kind of bridge I've played.  Most people start off with party bridge.  You pay a small fee to support the club so it can pay its bills--electricity, etc.  The club where I play charges $6 and the session lasts 3 to 4 hrs. 

Hope everyone is having a better day than I am.  Although mine could be a lot worse.

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Oh man Carole, that sounds like a lot of pain to me.....  When I had the rest of my upper teeth pulled... I don't think I had that much trouble.  The dentist pulled out 8 teeth, then slapped my new plate right on there!  I think it helped the bleeding.  But that plate did "float" for awhile, ha! 

I think you will be soooooooooo tired tomorrow!  I remember that...and how I mashed up spaghetti that night, & ate that.  But I was so tired the next day, that I could hardly stand up....I think all the blood I lost. 

I'll be thinking of you.....  So sorry you have to go through that, but it will be worth it!  Take good care! xoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012

Thinking of you tonight Carole and hoping and praying your healing starts soon.  Now is about the only time you could get an ice cream meal , huh !!!

I really do hope you feel better soon. 

Healing hugs,

Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012
    No matter what, you are accepted by life. There is deep peace and great joy in this fact.
    ~ Soren Lauritzen
  • carolehalston
    edited January 2012

Thanks, Jackie.  Your prayers worked because I am feeling better today.  Got a good night's sleep last night.  My face still has swelling but I'm taking the strongest Tylenol, not pain med. 

The funny thing is that I didn't realize this procedure was really "surgery."  I wasn't thinking of a sizeable chunk of bone, but just a tiny piece.  Oh, well, this is definitely not BMX, which I've been through.  And it's a good time of year for creamy soups.  I would like to lose weight on this soft food diet but I probably won't.

Wishing all of you a happy Thurs.  It is Thurs.?Smile

• duckyb1
    edited January 2012

Carole.............hope your feeling better........it is a tough ride when it comes to some dental work.........I had 3 dental implants, which took close to a year...........they had to use cadaver bone, but mine was ground up like sand, and it had to be put in where the bone was lacking to hold the "titanium screws" that they were going to use............now the screws hold the crown on, so it is necessary..............it took close to 6 months for the bone to grow into the bone that was already there...........it is amazing what they can do today................I have 3 dental implants in the front of my mouth...........they look very natural...........I did this because I knew if I went for a "plate" it would end up in the drawer with my hearing aids, glasses, and the 3 partial plates that were made for my bottom teeth..................

I got hit in the mouth by a waitress at a  Republican function.............she swung around with the huge tray, and I was behind her............I took a direct hit to my mouth................literally snapped and loosened the very good "crowns" that I already had............but they could not be "reused" they were too old, and no repair was possible.

It cost $34,000 to do what they had to do to my mouth...........there was more done then just the implants, but of course once they start removing things, other problems occur...............I am glad I had it done, and would do the bottom backs, but guess what................................too old I said to my kids......................you better make damn sure my mouth is open and I am smiling from one ear to the other in the "coffin"...........after what these teeth cost.....................so I can sympathize with you.

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Hey thanks Ducky, for stopping by!  I'll bet Carole would appreciate any kind of feed-back she could get!

I can't beLIEVE how you got hurt!  I hope you didn't have to pay for it!   I love my upper plate, but the teeth are so much prettier than the ones I had!    Guess I'm lucky that I haven't ever had any trouble with them being "loose" or anything!  I've had 2 plates now.... Since 1980 I think!   The first one had a slight "bubble" which eventually cracked, but the new plate was even better.

You don't wear your hearing aids?  Do they work alright?  I'de go nuts if I couldn't wear mine, at least when we leave the house! I just can't hear much at all without them! I got mine at Costco!

Take care girls....xoxo

• duckyb1
    edited January 2012

Chevy................I can't handle the sound of my own voice, coming back into my head when I talk.........I end up with a headache....................I don't mind listening with them, but once I say something its like I'm underwater................................I have a very funny shaped "ear canal", and they tried eveything from the smallest to the largest............to the most modern and up to date...............they don't sit right because of the angle of my "ear canal".............when I chew, or talk, they move away from the canal...............its a pain in the ass.

As far as the teeth go....................I got $15,000 from the caterer who employed the waitress.........I actually should have held out for more, but wanted to get it over with................ some of the things that came as a result of the "hit" had to be done, but they argued it was not the fault of the hit.......which it clearly was...................I just got fed up which is so unlike me.............I wanted it done and over...........................it took me more then a year to get the implants..........................I was scared to death, cause they have to cut your gums all open, and y;our not asleep.............................however, it was  nothing.............Not an ache or pain...............I was a fool, but who knew....................