Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited January 2012

Chevyboy Ditto on all the remarks about being careful on the ice. A UMX is one side only. I started on Aromasin. So far not too bad but I am noticing more muscle and joint pain and some tingling in the hands. Hope it subsides as I get use to it.

The trip down memory lane was good. There were so many good, clean radio and TV shows not the dreck we get today.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

• buckanddoe1261
    buckanddoe1261 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2012
    OMG!! the phone just rang and my test was NEGATIVE, NEGATIVE, NEGATIVE!!!Smile Life is good again. Thanks to all of you who helped me thru this very tough time and for your prayers.
  • Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited January 2012

WOW....WOW!   buckanddoe!   I just sort of figured that, because my Daughter...53 has a lot of tests done for that same reason.  But man, you just never know, until that biopsy! 

dreamers....I managed to not fall today, Ha!   Still a lot of ice out, especially where the sun doesn't shine!   At least it is supposed to "warm up" a little until Tuesday or Wed. then more snow.

And yes, so many good radio and TV shows on in the 50's!   Nothing compared to today.... And those old big production movies, with all the musicals and dancing!  I was named after Jeannette Mc'Donald...

And my favorite song growing up was "Cry" by Johnny Ray!  I think I was 15 or 16....My girlfriend and I would sing at the top of our lungs when we heard him sing!  LaughingSurprised ...So funny!   And we would smoke in her room and hide the ash-tray under her bed, and just KNEW her folks didn't know......  Or smoke in our bathroom, and use a towel to get the smoke out the window!    Oh yikes!  But again, compared to today, THAT stuff is nothing.... Ha, ha! 

Okay.... I'll go bet back to acting my age....  xoxoxoxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrV1ZUHOzI4 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited January 2012

What great news, Buckanddoe! We can all feel your sense of relief.

Ok, Kaara, now all the good vibes are coming your way!

Carole, I will come clean up your desk if you will come clean up mine. It is always more fun to tackle someone else's clutter than one's own. :)

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,495
    edited January 2012

buckanddoe.....what great news.  I think it gives us all a boost in our positive outlook when someone else has something scary that ends up going really well.  I'm sure it is one of the reasons we stay here -- not only to help others get through but to keep our own spirits up with lots of good news....and naturally the kind you got is the best.  Very happy for you, doll.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012
    I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver.
    Maya Angelou
  • Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited January 2012

buckanddoe:  What fantastic news....congratulations!!

Good news and bad news at my RO app't.  Good news is that my oncoctype score was 13!  Bad news was that I couldn't have the kind of rads I wanted (three week version - fractionated) because I  have left sided bc. and further, I would have to go off all the antioxidants that I have taken so carefully over the last several months that are building and boosting my immune system, so that I can safely have the rads treatment. Apparently antioxidants do their job so well, that it could end up protecting the cancer cells from rads as well as the good cells!  Now that gives me real cause for concern and requires further evaluation on my part because I was of the opinion from everything I've read that vitamin therapy could help me through coventional treatment with fewer SE's.  Needless to say, I am very disappointed! 

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Well Kaara, that IS good news about your Onco score....Mine was 19, and I always worried that maybe I SHOULD have done the chemo, but I chose to not even try it.  And my age made a difference also.

As far as radiation, it would be for probably 5 weeks, and most of the women on here (I think) have had some form of radiation.   It IS thought of as standard, conventional treatment after removal of a malignant tumor.   It's supposed to kill any stray cells that are left in there.... Even if it wasn't in your lymph nodes, it could still be in your blood....at least that's what I have heard.

The complimentary vitamins, supplements, and anti-oxidants are to help build up your system, as you know....but you can't take them for the 5 weeks of radiation, if you decide to do it. 

You can take them with any of the als!  I know the Tamoxifen is easier on your bones than some of the others. 

I take a lot of supplements & anti-oxidants.... We still produce estrogen, even though we don't have a uterus or ovaries....It comes from our adrenal glands I think......  So vitamins like the DimPlus, Turmeric, Chaga, Grape-seed Extract, & VitD3, help balance our estrogen levels...

I don't take any of the Als now....So I'm hoping that this regimen will help me prevent cancer from starting up again....somewhere.  But I know any kind of supplement or vitamin will just ignore a cancer cell..... 

And yes, your vitamin therapy WILL help you through conventional therapy, but not radiation or chemo.   You can still benefit by waiting until after radiation to go back on your complimentary care.....  Best wishes on whatever you decide....

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

This is the link about estrogen... It is also produced in your liver, adrenal glands and breasts, but in small amounts. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrogen

The purpose of Tamoxifen is to stop estrogen from feeding, or binding to cancer cells.  The other Als prevent estrogen from getting into your system....  I think that's why they are harder on your bones, than the Tamoxifen.... because estrogen DOES help us in other ways.

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012

Kaara.....good for your score but I do see your dilemma as far as you complimentary therapy.  As Chevy said.....you can always go back to those therapies after you have done whatever you decide to do. 

I think what it probably comes down to is something like this.  Just like in the lottery where you have only one winning ticket, with cancer txs. we cannot be sure just what might have been left behind.  That is exactly what radiation therapy addresses.  When we have a lumpectomy -- and clear margins, and clean nodes.....that is great.  That is just what I had.....but I also had 7 weeks of radiation.  My surgeon,nor anyone in the operating room that day could know for sure what may have stayed behind after my two tumors and three Sentinel lymph nodes were removed.  So, I had 6 mos. of chemo and 7 weeks or rads.  It was the best way to make sure that any little cell that escaped that day did not come back to haunt me. 

We get this chance in the beginning to throw the book so to speak at all of this stuff called cancer.  It was just my preference to use everything I could get my hands on.  I don't know what the future will bring ( actually, I feel I will not be dealing with cancer any more again ) but when I made my choice back then I didn't want to come to a day when I might have to say....if only I would have chosen to do more....to do all I could right from the first. 

Also......I do feel that yr. by yr. they get better with the methods of targeting the areas that need radiation.  So, it really is up to you and what research you can lay hands on. I hope you can find something that gives you peace and comfort.  We really do all have to make our own choices --  and though it's devastating to do a lot of work only to find that you can't avail yourself while doing your rads, it is only a short time period really.....designed to eliminate any stray cell that got away during your operation.  After all.....it only takes one winning ticket for the lottery and it only takes one sick cell to create a very bad scenario for you later. 

Take care....I'll be thinking about you.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Wow Jackie....that was good....you've really been through a lot, but came out on top, my friend!

xoxoxoxo

• Kaara
    edited January 2012

Jackie:  Yes, you really have a way of putting things in perspective!  Chevy:  You too!  You have both been very helpful to me through this ordeal, in fact, Chevy, I wish I had gone ahead with the mammosite rads and not let my BS talk me out of it, as it would be over and done with! I learned from the RO I don't qualify for the short three week rads because my bc is left sided, so I'm facing seven weeks of 5 day treatments.  Very disappointing, but it is what it is.  

I think you both know I lean a little more toward the natural side of the fence on these issues, but just like everyone, I want to be rid of this bc and never have to deal with it again.  I have an app't with my BS on Monday for a check, so I'll be discussing with him.

Thanks so much for all your encouragement and support! 

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited January 2012

Just a brief update.  I went to our broom shop today and sewed brooms for the first time since probably last May or June.  It felt good.  Doing better, still having pain in my upper arms and shoulder blade area on my right side ( same side as breast surgery was).  No pain in legs etc anymore.  That is a relief.  I will start new med on Tuesday.  I will know by second week if I am having problems and will stop it if that is the case after I call Dr. 

We go to Odessa on Monday for the results of our daughters PET Scan.  I will also get my port flushed and Hubby has to see his lung Dr.  will be a busy day.

Need to get to bed.  

Karra, Congrats on your Onco score, mine was 37.

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

mommarch....and that's why those tests ares soooo important.  The dyp2d6 (??) test is to see how well you metabolize Tamoxifen.... I did very well on THAT one, but still quit that pill.  

Honestly, looking back, and reading this board for over 2 years, and seeing what women go through with everything, I would have done chemo in a blink, if I had a higher score.  So proud of you mommarch!  You sound like you are doing better...glad you can get back to something familiar!!!

Kaara, I'm sorry too, but maybe I was just lucky in that my surgeon, and the radiologist thought this would work perfect for me.... Also my SIL had the same thing the year before, and she said it was very easy.   And it was.... I had to put up with the infection for that week, but with all the other scars, draining, it didn't matter...Wink...

Your "un-known" is still out there.... but just decide, and follow your path... I don't blame you for not wanting radiation, especially the 5-6 week thing, but at least you don't have to think about chemo.  

Some of the gals on here have a long ways to travel for their rads, but when we have to do something, our head just kind of takes charge.... even when our heart is resisting.

If you decide to go ahead with the rads, you can get back on your body-care regimen right after!  See what your RO says....I know we are "older" but we want as much time as we can get!

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Did any of you stay up to watch that Bronco game last night?  Man, that was a beat-down if there ever was one..... I stayed up until the 3rd quarter when the score was 42 to 7.  Figured there wasn't a CHANCE Denver would come back strong enough to win..... and they didn't.

Denver has gone wild over Tim Tebow, but Brady and his bunch really shined last night!   I bet my DH $10 that the Patriots would win...Laughing!!  Ha, ha!  

I hope John Elway and the other managers keep Tebow around, because everyone has Tebow-mania here....but it would be NICE to be consistent  and to think of  the Bronco's as a winning team.

I can hardly wait for Nascar to start.  Wink 

• pj12
    edited January 2012

Mommarch, It really sounds as if you have a full plate!  I admire your ability to cope with it all. And a child, no matter how grown up, is the heaviest burden. I wish you all good news Monday.

I am totally confused about Monday being a holiday for half the people and not for the others. I think it might have been last Veterans' Day that I made a special trip to the post office and bank only to find them closed! My calendar said Veterans' Day was Sunday the 11th and it did not occur to me that Monday would be the legal holiday. But then I was trying to reach my doctor's office on Monday December 26th and they were closed for the holiday. When I worked I cherished every day off but now it is all a blur. It's even hard to separate the weekend from the week days. Never know the date, half the time I don't know what day of the week it is! Heaven help me if someone gives me one of those Alzheimer's tests any time soon. I would probably say it is 2011!

Kaara, Seven weeks of rads seems inteminable but, like everything else at our age, it goes by fast. Here are some things I learned from my experience:

1. It is SO cold in the radiation room. Dress as warmly as you can from the waist down and ask for warm blankets. (I wore two pairs of socks and this was in June-July in Florida)

2. Don't book a cruise on the day after your treatments are supposed to end. There were several days postponed during my course and they are like snow days, they get added to the end.

3. I don't know if it is like this at all facilities but... if my appointment time was early in the morning or early in the afternoon I was less likely to have to wait very long. The end of the day was the worst for delays.

4. While your RO is important, there are other people behind the scenes who have a vital role in your care. Ask how long the dosimetrist and the physicist have been associated with the center. A dosimetrist at a major Florida hospital was responsible for terrible errors in radiation treatment. 

5. Visit a couple radiation facilities before you make a committment. I had a choice of two so went to see which I thought better of. My radiation group worked at both of them but I would see different doctors depending on which I chose.

6. As you enter the room for treatment they should confirm who you are by name and birthday, for example. They should monitor your weight during the period of treatment. You should get to see your RO once a week. 

7. If you feel something is not right, speak up! I had one therapist who, in the dim light of the radiation room, obviously could not see my faint tatoo marks. I even circled them with a magic marker hoping she could find them. Finally I said I wanted to be scheduled at a time of day that she was not working.

8. Treat the therapists well. They are the ones you will deal with day in and day out. I took cookies every Friday.

9.  Increase your protein consumption during rads. Take a nap if you can. Avoid getting the treated skin exposed to sun. 

10. For most people skin irritation does not usually occur until the second half of treatment. Treat the skin tenderly. Bathe the area very gently. A soft (like a tissue T-shirt) against the skin, even under your bra if you cannot go without, feels good. Expose the treated skin to open air - like go topless if you can, around the house :) Ask for a few days off if things become unbearable. AND, it is absolutely amazing how fast radiated, blistered, oozing, open wounds will heal and without scarring!!!

Wow, that dredged up some memories! 

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    - Christopher Robin
  • Kaara
    edited January 2012

pj123:  Thank you so much for those tips.  I really appreciate that you took the time to list them for me, because I hadn't even thought of most of them.

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012

Pj....what a wonderful post.....and I can see the memories.  I have a lot of my own.  All I have to add is that I traveled 75 miles every three weeks for my heavy-duty chemo, and when that was done, and when I started rads.....I traveled the same distance and stayed in a motel all week so I could get my rads.  I did that for seven weeks.  I gave up 6 mos. of chemo txs. and 7 weeks or rads.....so I could have my life back.....as close to what it was before cancer as after.

We all know you are never quite the same --- my sense of wellness is so altered now, but I did learn to be ok with how things are.  Partly because I think I have chosen not to leave these boards -- to encourage any who come  ( don't we wish BC. Org could give up this web-site )  ( where or where is there some cure ) here to do what they feel they can to get as well as they can and go on living the life they were meant to. 

It is not easy ladies, but I do think to paraphrase...it is worth it.  I had 61 yrs. of health before the train called cancer hit me.  A little over 6 mos. of chemo and 7 wks. of rads seemed a very small price to pay to have my life ( well a huge part of it ) returned to me as close to what it was as I could get.  Sometimes you have to do things you don't want too....but if it means living and hopefully, living better, than I did what I had to do and have not had a moment of regret since.

Happy Sunday to all of you.  Marcha.....so glad things for you seem on the upswing and I will be praying on Monday with you. 

Kaara, hang in there.  No matter what you do, we are here for your support.  Your inner spirit knows what is right. 

Hugs, Jackie

• Kaara
    edited January 2012

Jackie & friends:  Thank you.  I know that I will have your support regardless of what I choose to do.  That is what makes this site and this thread in particular so special!

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

pj and Jackie...  You guys are the best.  To take the time, to list the "what to do" is very special of you.....! 

When I had the MammoSite radiation, I just remember going in, and "Lynn" would always meet me in the changing room with a warm blanket...  I would sit in another room for a few minutes, waiting for them to call me....  I don't know what it's like to get the standard radiation..... I just know about the type that I had....

It didn't hurt, it was very peaceful, laying there....They connected my tubes to the machine, left the room, & watched through a window...while the radiation "seeds" traveled through the machine through the tubes to the "Device"  (a little balloon)...After 7 minutes it was over.  Twice a day for 5 days....

Wish they could do this for everybody....

I have a question.... We all know about Tamoxifen, Femara and Arimidex, for ER & PR positive cancer.... What do the women take if they don't have that type?  And if we do get cancer again, could it be a different type?  What "after-surgery" treatment do these women get? 

• Kaara
    edited January 2012

Chevy:  I know that for HER2+ it's chemo and herceptin.  That is a much more aggressive form of bc and has to be treated as such.  I have communicated with several women on the site who have had two or three different kinds of bc, some in the same breast, so I guess you never know.  What an educaton I've received on this journey.  I really never knew so many young women got bc.  That always makes me so sad.  One young woman who just passed, Zoh, had a four year old daughter. She was only 44.  Another I met on the site is only 28 and has young children as well.  BC in younger women is more aggressive, so the surgery and treatments are very aggressive. 

• pj12
    edited January 2012

Chevy, I know triple negative breast cancer, also more aggressive, is treated with surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. But I do not think there is anything like tamoxifen or the AIs to take to prevent a recurrence. It does, however, respond more vigorously to chemo than the ER+ tumors. From what I have read the risk of recurrence is very high for the first three or four years, then actually declines a lot over time. While it is the opposite for ER+ women; our risk of recurrence is quite small for five years or ten years, then goes up with time.

I guess the huge variety of cancers that we lump together and call breast cancer is one of the reasons a "cure" is so difficult to achieve. I think we of the ER+ group are the easiest. But it seems especially cruel that young women should face a more aggressive and potentially more deadly disease. It is hard to feel sorry for oneself when reading of the battle so many young women face. I had no idea until I came here.

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

I know....the younger women, with children....or just beginning their adult lives, and to be hit with breast cancer!  We hear about it so much!  I didn't have any idea either, until I was diagnosed!

I don't ever feel sorry for myself either, because it feels like I came through this all so very fortunate.  Compared to so many of the women on here.....

And I thought I was too old to get breast cancer!    At least my life is on the down-swing.... but I still want to feel alive, and vital, and needed!  I think we all do....

So glad I can come here to talk about "things"....xoxoxo

• barbiecorn
    barbiecorn Member Posts: 86
    edited January 2012

I am new here...I am going to be 66 on Feb. 1st the date of my double mass.  I wanted to speak to some older woman...I have been diagnosed with LCIS - with slight fragments of invasion...that is why I am having a double mass.  Going for biopsy of right breast to be sure it is not there also but am having the right one removed whether there is cancer or not in the right breast.  I am scared...I need some uplifting from all who have been here...Also I am not getting breast reconstruction.  Just don't want it and can in the future if I chose to...but for now...it is not for me...at my age, my husband and my family feel the same way...if I were younger I am sure I would feel differently.  Any of you choose not to have reconstruction?  I would love to hear from you and also how difficult are the drains at home after the surgery.  Would love to hear from some older woman...Thank you....God Bless!!!

• Kaara
    edited January 2012

barbiecorn:  Welcome to BCO and this thread.  You will find a lot of support and comfort, and in addition there are some very educated women who can answer almost any question you have, or at least direct you to the right place.  

Try not to be afraid, just take it one day at a time and do your research.  You must be your own advocate and push for what you want.  I agree with you on the reconstruction.  If I ever have another recurrance, it's curtains for these boobs of mine and that will be the end of it.  In the end it saves you from having to go through all of the treatment decisions, etc. which can be very stressful.  They make nice breast forms these days that look and feel like the real thing.  After all, we're not planning to enter any topless contests at our age...at least I'm not! 

All the best to you on your upcoming surgery and stay strong!  Sending you positive energy! 

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012

Welcome barbiecorn and I am so glad you found us.  We are slightly more seasoned than others.  It helps I think to talk to others in your age range as we do often have slightly different feelings and outlooks regarding some things. 

I think I too would have preferred having both breasts removed had it been necessary to lose one totally.  As it was my experience was having a lumpectomy.  My surgeon would have removed the breast had I wanted that....she told me though that my treatment plan would be exactly the same whether I had the total breast removed or the breast sparing lumpectomy.  So due to the fact that my cancer was on the left side.....and I was already weak there, I chose the lumpectomy because that would save my muscle in that area and I would have less recovery.  No drain....so I can't help you with that. 

You sound like you have a very supportive family and this is a wonderful thing and should be a big help but this is a scary time.  You may end up with a lot of mixed emotions about many things.  I cried, I got mad, thought no one really understood, and a part of the time I was terrified.  This is about the time when life is susposed to get a little better --- when we can start to relax a bit.  We get through one day at a time --- for me, it was at one point ten minutes at a time. 

I think many don't want reconstruction....I know I would not.  Of course clothes won't fit the same, but  as Kaara said.....my second career now is staying alive and well and not walking down a modeling runway. 

I'm sure others will chime in soon.  Hope as well you keep coming back.  Most of us stay here to help anyone starting this journey.  It is not always an easy one, but having others that KNOW exactly what we are going through helps often to lighten the load for its being shared. 

We care,

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Morning gals....barbicorn, You are NOT alone in being afraid of what you are doing.

I was terrified, of just the word cancer..... My oldest Daughter had heard so many stories, and knew a lot of women HER age who chose to have  the unilateral mastectomy.  They were all about 50... They had reconstruction, because of their age, I think....

So she thought I should have the unilateral mastectomy also.  I of course was more afraid of hearing that, than having a Lumpectomy.....

I was so lucky we caught it early.  It has been a little over 2 years now.   But I am 74....and I would be a little touched in the head, if I got cancer again, and wanted another Lumpectomy!  It's like my breasts are part of who I am, but if they are hurting me more than helping me "look" nice, then they would have to go. 

I didn't think that 2 years ago, and in fact, it kind of hurt when my Daughter thought I should have them taken off.  Later she said "I said that because I would rather have my Mom, than you with cancerous breasts."  I so understand that now. 

I followed your bio, and read what some of the other gals say on the reconstruction thread....They are so very honest with you, and know what they are talking about.   So I think you already have your mind made up....

I've also been reading different threads about women who have had lumpectomies and are taking the Als, and who have had cancer come back in the same or other breast.... They went through radiation, sometimes chemo, taking Tamoxifen, but have cancer again!    So keep reading the threads, these women will help you 24 hours a day...we are all here for you!

I commend you for being very strong!  That will get you through any problems you might have.  i know we'll all be thinking of you....Take good care...xoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012
    As we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
    As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence actually liberates others.
    - Marianne Williamson
  • illinoislady
    edited January 2012

Good morning everyone.......some sun trying to peek out which is nice.  Going to be 63 or so degrees here today......in the middle of winter is summer it seems.  Sort of scary to me.  Last yr. this time we had arctic wind and snow.....large drifts.  Just not nice at all.  What a difference a yr. can make.  I don't consider that we have had "winter" yet.  One snowfall.....though it snowed all day, it didn't accumulate actually.  Had more ice than snow as it was thawing and then re-freezing. 

Glad you mentioned Chevy/Jeannette, how things were when you were diagnosed.  I think barbiecorn that one of the worst times is right after diagnosis when you have to "tell" others what is wrong.  Most of us look so healthy and feel that way too....I didn't realilze how much it tends to concern those who are close in our life.  Since I had all my work done through the VA.....a lot was "decided"/presented to me.  I could have said no about anything I wanted to, but I had my Dh present at all meetings......and both of us felt such huge confidence in my surgeon ( a lady ) that  actually was able to cover so much ground with us.....that I reached a point where I felt I could let the VA have a great deal of input as to what they recommended.  They were the ones that found my surgeon.....so it all worked out well.

My first thought by the way was a panic thought.....I just wanted the whole breast gone.....it had a terrible disease festering there.  Operations of any kind are big stresses on the body....so if you can lessen what you do in some way.....it is better.  That is just my opinion though. 

Hope you are all going to have an ok day....not too much bad weather....we are due this eving for lots and lots of rain.  Oh joy --- we are a sea of mud already....and guess it will be worse.  I"m so un-cheery today...forgive.  Just don't like the thought of summer in winter and big rain storms. 

Hugs, Jackie