Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557
    edited January 2012

PJ, keep on dreaming....No, I don't live in one of those gorgeous ($10million and up) historic Charleston homes on the harbor. I live in the kind of "beach box of a house" you live in! But I do love Charleston, walking the streets and peeking into the hidden gardens, imagining what it would be like to live in such splendor. We've just been here 3 years. So where is the REAL Florida?

Kaara, great story about dating Kenny Rogers. Given what passes for news these days, I'm sure you still could sell your story somewhere! Recently there was a big story here about a woman who was photographed kissing Elvis Presley in a stairwell in Richmond, VA. For years, no one knew who she was, even after the photo became world-famous. She finally revealed herself, living here in Charleston and now in her 60s.

PJ, We're BIG fans of "Downton Abbey!" We watched the first season on DVD and now are into the second season live. I love it! In fact, we've become fans of several British series. You might consider "Foyle's War," too, a story of a laid-back British detective in a rural area during WWII.

Hope, for everyone, today is better than tomorrow and tomorrow is better than today! 

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited January 2012

Wave:  Not to belabor the point, but I do have a sketch that Kenny did of me back in HS.  He was an artist as well.  My mother kept it tucked away, bless her heart, and we unearthed it after she passed.  It would probably be worth some money, but he didn't sign it, so alas it only has sentimental value.  I also have a photo of us taken at his senior prom that I have fun with now and then.  I'm not really a seeker of attention, so I would never try to do anything with it.

I'll have to try and watch that Downtown Abbey...don't know if we get PBS because we have limited cable here in Fl. 

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited January 2012

My Hubby says panty hose went out with Drive In Theaters.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited January 2012

Marcha....Ha, ha!   They probably did!  I loved drive-in movies.... when I was 16....  And the tamales, and dill pickles!  And making out! 

Since I met my DH when we were 18, we STILL went to Drive-in's when the girls were little...just put their pajamas on, pillows & blankets, and we were happy!

Kaara, Is there any way you can scan, and then post that picture on here?  If you have Picassa, and a scanner, that would work.  I loved Kenny R. singing!   He had the most distinctive voice.... But I guess he's like Burt Reynolds, they just thought they could look better....and it didn't work...

Some of these plastic surgeons should be shot....but they only do what they are asked to do, & probably don't care, other than the money they get.

Have you gals heard of "Elephants on Water?"  A friend said she really enjoyed the book, so I downloaded it from B& N for my Nook.  It wasn't one of the free ones, but she said it was really great! 

Okay....windy, but 60 degrees here....Good luck on that appt. Kaara!  Got my fingers crossed!

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited January 2012

PJ.....................what the hell happened........................................I would have bitch slapped the 1st. person who told me "NO"...................................I can't belive what they did to you......................Every question I had was answered by each and every individual who ever came within 2 feet of me...................................My BS did my biopsy.................and here is what happened when the 1 person, the 1/2 ass radiologist, had to place the "wire" into the tumor site for my BS.

He said "small pinch"...................he jammed that frigging wire into my right breast,and afterward said to the person in the room with him.......................OH, I'M  A LITTLE OFF...........IF HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN...................

Here was my answer back to him before he began..............YOU BETTER HOPE YOU GET IT THIS TIME, CAUSE IF YOU DON'T I AM GOING TO TAKE THAT VERY WIRE, OUT OF YOUR HAND, AND JAB IT RIGHT INTO YOUR "SCROTUM", EXACTLY THE WAY YOU JUST JABBED IT INTO MY BOOB.............................DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME ??????????????

The girl ran out of the room laughing, and he said........................I'll get it right this time..............................I saidi ................YOU FRIGGING BETTER GET IT RIGHT OR I AM GOING TO SKEWER YOUR BALLS........................

That was the worst part of the entire experience................even rads, and Femara................

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited January 2012

OMIGOSH, Ducky. Will you go to my doctor appointments with me from now on? Still LOL!

• Kaara
    edited January 2012

Ducky:  That's telling em!

Chevy:  I don't have any ability to scan as we don't have that equipment here in Fl.  Maybe in NC this summer and that is where I think the photo is anyway.  You'd think with all his money he could have gone to the best PS in the world!  For some reason, I just don't think men's PS turns out very well...makes them look weird!  A friend of our had his eyes done and now he has no eyelids!

Is the book you're speaking of "Water for Elephants"?  If so, it was fantastic...you will enjoy the read...It's also been made into a movie...not as good as the book. 

My app't today went well...the RO was awesome, brillliant is how I would describe her.  She went over all of my rads options and I mean all of them.  She was quoting studies and criteria right off the top of her head...the other RO had to look in his book.  She is willing to do the partial beam rads on me but I must meet one more criteria.  Apparently my boobs are small (36C is small apparently by today's standards) and the surgical area cannot be more than 1/3 of the total diameter, so Monday I am going for a scan to see.  If not that, then we are back to the three week fractionated version, modified to protect my heart.  I tell you..I am beaten down at this point.  Whatever it takes...just do it and get it over with!  I'm exhausted from answering questions, disrobing and being prodded and poked constantly.  I have my echo cardiogram tomorrow and then I still have to find out why my liver enzymes are high all of a sudden.  I came home and ate half a bag of lentil chips (gluten free of course) even if they did taste like styrofoam!  What I would really like is a big piece of red velvet cake with Bluebell vanilla ice cream....yummmmy! 

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,495
    edited January 2012

Yum.....long day and another tomorrow, but I'm thinking of you ladies. 

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Morning gals... Yes Kaara, it IS Water for Elephants!  I read more of the reviews a little while ago, so that will be the next book I read.   I now have 54 books in my Nook....

They're also on my computer, so if I wanted to, I could read them here....The pages are larger....I adjusted the size of the font on my Nook, so it's easier to read.

DH fell again yesterday!  He was helping the school kids, because they had thrown a ball out over the fence...He walked across the street to retrieve their ball, & threw it back over, but he stumbled over a ledge by the sidewalk, and fell down the step onto the walk-way.  Hurt his elbow, and his one leg is all scraped, along with his hand... He REALLY fell this time...  The little kids asked "Mister are you alright?"....  He said "I'm okay, just want to sit here a minute".... They could have told their teacher, and they might have called an ambulance... I'm just glad it wasn't any worse.

Dang, I just felt so bad when he came limping home... his fingers are cut open, along with his leg.  But this morning his arm is really sore....I don't think he broke it, because he can move it around.

He  took a couple Tylenol Arthritis Pain pills last night... 

Our Daughter that lives close said, "Man, I just can't keep you guys up-right!".....  That was funny, I thought!  I just thank God he didn't hit his head, or break something.  I told our other Daughter, that he hated to take pain pills, because he thinks they mess up his head.....  She emailed back and said "Tell Dad his head is already messed up, so pills won't be a problem"....Wink

So I am for thank-ful today.....!   Gonna make it a good one....xoxoxo

• Kaara
    edited January 2012

Chevy:  Do you have some of those things that fit over your boots that grip the ice?  My DD got us those for Breckenridge last year, something she got on HSN, and we were laughing about it, but they work on ice.  We watched a couple of people fall on the ice in the street, but we got across ok.

Seriously, falls are not good for people our age.  No need to test our bones. 

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Kaara, this time it wasn't on ice....He just stumbled and fell when his shoe caught a ledge....  Bought him a sling today for his arm....  Think it is a "Radial-head Fracture" of the elbow, because he tried catching himself with his hand, (skinned it up) and that jammed his bones up into his elbow....But if he keeps it immobile, it should heal...

DD's Neighbor works in an Emergency Room in Orlando, and he sees lots of this type of injuries, I guess....He can't straighten his arm out, but can rotate his palm around....That's why he thought it was this type of injury. 

We don't walk around much when there is a lot of ice!  We found to put down lots of old rugs & towels where the ice melts, & freezes again, around here.....   The streets are the WORST after a snow-storm!  It's fine to walk on packed snow, but when it starts melting, then re-freezes, that's where we get into trouble!   I have seen those "cleat" things that fit over boots!

The weather is supposed to be around 60 again today & tomorrow!  Cool But that didn't keep DH from falling....Undecided

• pj12
    edited January 2012

Chevy, I am so sorry about your DH's tumble. The worst thing about falling is that it shakes your confidence, makes you more tentative when you step which probably makes you more likely to fall again. At least it seems that way to me. My two falls were over a year ago and I still have a death grip on the handrail on our stairs when I go up and down. The unsteadiness is all in my mind but it is hard to overcome. I told my doctor that if I fell again I was just going to do a "Thema and Louise" and drive off a cliff somewhere. Of course there are no cliffs in Florida so the "police car chasing me" road trip will have to wend its way up to North Carolina.

Actually I did read that a woman with breast cancer was much more likely to fall in the twelve months after diagnosis. No explanation. I'll see if I can find that report again. Perhaps the husband of a woman dx'd with breast cancer is more likely to fall too. :) Wishing your DH a speedy recovery.

Marcha, is your "new" drug tamoxifen? I tried to look back but could not find the original post. I switched from arimidex to tamoxifen after 14 or 15 months (and the two falls) and have done MUCH better. Isn't it interesting how different drugs affect different people? And I suppose if the SEs are different, so can be the efficacy of the drug. I had a lot of confidence in arimidex, felt like it was doing the good stuff to keep the beast from coming back. I don't have the same feeling about tamoxifen but I am taking it. I do have similar hot flashes witth T and if looking older means your estrogen is being blocked, then I am in good shape. :(

Kaara, you simply must pass a note to an usher that you were a high school friend of Kenny Rogers! You know he would love to have that personal connection in the audience. I bet you would end up on the stage! If you had the drawing he did you could get him to sign it but I think you said it was at your other home. .? But a photo of you and Kenny would do a lot to authenticate the provenance of the drawing and just be fun to have!

Wavewhisperer, don't you wonder why American tv cannot produce programs of the caliber of Downton Abbey? I just love Maggie Smith in this role. Remember when someone said to her "I will take that as a compliment." and Maggie responded, "then I must not have said it right."? I am dying to be able to use that line someday! Would I be brave or droll enough? Yes, we watch Foyle's War... So good. And Doc Martin. Have you seen it? My DH loves him as it makes DH look like an absolute prince in comparison! We are fortunate to have two PBS stations so manage to see most of the best of the brits.

Illinois, a television is a much healthier sleep aid than pills! And you are a busy woman! You deserve a nap before bedtime. :) if you nap, can you then go to bed and fall asleep? I would think these chilly nights would be good for sound sleeping. Especially if you have been out I. The cold feeding your furry friends!

• pj12
    edited January 2012

What breastcancer.org says about this article…

Breast Cancer Therapy Heightens Fall Risk

A small study found that women who got chemotherapy and/or hormonal therapy to treat early-stage breast cancer were more likely to fall than other women their age. The researchers think this may be because the treatments affected the women's balance. The study was published online in the Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.

The study looked at 59 postmenopausal women who were diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer. They received chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, or both after surgery. The women averaged about 58 years old and all of them were younger than 70. Women who got chemotherapy completed that treatment 2 years or less before participating in the study. Women who got hormonal therapy had been on that treatment at least 6 months before participating in the study. The researchers wanted to know if each woman had fallen in the year before joining the study and in the 6 months after joining.

In the year before joining the study, 58% of the women had fallen at least once.

29% had two or more falls

10% had a broken bone after being diagnosed with breast cancer; in most cases the broken bone was because of a fall

Six months after starting in the study, almost half (47%) of the women who fell in the year before the study fell again.

A woman of the same age who wasn't diagnosed with breast cancer has about a 25% to 30% risk of falling in a year. So the percent of women in the study who fell -- 58% -- was much higher.

The women in the study who fell weren't older than the women who didn't fall.

So the higher risk of falling among the women in the study seems to be related in some way to breast cancer diagnosis and treatment, not to age.

It's not clear why falling was so common among the women in the study. The women did have some sensory problems, including balance and vision problems, which may have contributed to the falls. These sensory problems could be treatment side effects.

One side effect of some chemotherapy medicines is peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral neuropathy is damage to the nerves in the arms and legs and causes tingling or numbness in the hands and feet. This type of nerve damage could make a woman more likely to fall.

Anthracycline chemotherapy medicines such as Adriamycin (chemical name: doxorubicin) can damage the part of the inner ear (vestibular system) that helps you maintain balance (this damage is called vestibular ototoxicity).

Although this study was small, the large number of women who fell during breast cancer treatment suggests that treatment increases the risk of falling. If you're being treated, or start treatment soon, keep these results in mind, especially if your treatment plan includes chemotherapy and/or hormonal therapy.

If you're being treated right now and have neuropathy, vision problems, or feel unsteady when you stand and walk, tell someone on your medical team. A physical therapist or occupational therapist might be able to assess your situation and offer ways to minimize your fall risk. Even if you don't visit a physical therapist or occupational therapist, it makes sense to look for any trip and fall hazards in your home, work site, and other places you go often and take steps to remove or minimize the hazards.

• Kaara
    edited January 2012

Yikes!  More good stuff to look forward to....can't wait!  I tripped over a step (pre bc) last year and fell flat...didn't break any bones but injured my shoulder by breaking my fall with that arm.  It has taken almost a year to get it back in shape, so hopefully, no more falls!

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

I've had that inner-ear problem a few years ago, which makes you sooooooooo dizzy!  It goes away, after I take Meclazine, but man, one time, I was so dizzy, I woke up, and tried getting outside where I hung my head over in the garden & just got sick....

Some sort of inner-ear problem....

But usually it is the ice that I slip on, or not lifting my foot high enough when I go up a step....OR stepping backwards off of a stool 2 foot step stool! Wink

I can really believe that any type of chemo would make your head do funny things....

But I think OUR problem, is just not being careful, or clumsy.... one or the other...or both!

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012

Hey...I do recall falling several times during chemo --- I think it was over a dust bunny once.  I was far less shocked at the fall itself, then I was shocked to have fallen over NOTHING.  One minute I was walking along....nothing in my way...next minute I'm on the floor.  I think my lower body was definitely out of sync with the upper. 

I've fallen since a time or two.....just being a clumsy oaf and not paying attention I think is more characteristic of the last two or three falls.  I'm trying to keep all the parts of me on the same page and maybe I will be less likely. 

We do need to be careful.  We don't bounce anymore and those landings can be awful. 

Anyway, long day today.  Went to work at 6a.m......it's a bit after 8 and I'm getting ready to settle down.  Had my Oncology check-up today and everything came out great.  I'm very happy.  I'll be back in the morning to visit with all of you.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012

If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes.
    St. Clement of Alexandra

• mommarch
    edited January 2012

Chevy, actually I got the quote from Hubby backwards.  Drive In Theaters went out after the invention of panty hose.

• mommarch
    edited January 2012

Chevy, actually I got the quote from Hubby backwards.  Drive In Theaters went out after the invention of panty hose.

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Morning gals!   So since I have nothing else to do this time of morning, I started thinking ..."When WERE panty hose invented....and I found this....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantyhose 

I didn't start wearing them until probably the 60's...and they were called "Leggs"... Ha!  They were pretty expensive I thought, and I remember trying to stitch them up when they got a run!   They came in an "egg" and I would save them to hide money and candy in at Easter, for our girls...Wink

Drive in "Theatres" came around in the 50's I think....and I HAD the link, but when I try & go there now, to "copy" I lose this post... But it is on "wikipedia" also! 

I remember one time when the boys we were with didn't have a lot of money, so this girl and I said we would ride in the trunk, so we could get in free.......and they could let us out when we parked.... That was a great idea, but when they opened the trunk, we got busted!  Ha, ha! 

I was mortified... Yell !!  But weren't the drive-in's fun!   I met DH when I was 18, & he was 17...I had my Dad's car, a 51 Buick, and my girl-friends and I went "cruising" the Frosted Scotchman...A burger joint here, with lots of cars and lots of parking...!  I pulled next to this one car.... (See, you had to slide down in your seat, & pretend you were "cool"... By then I could hardly see over the wheel, but I parked, and looked next to us, and this "Sal Mineo" looking guy said.... "Big car ya got there..."  I looked at those eyes and said ..."I'm a big girl!".....  Ha, ha, !!!  Pretty clever I thought to myself....

We got married almost 2 years later.....and that was over 54 years ago.  Smile  Looking back on it all now, weren't those the greatest years?  I mean the 50's through the 80's? 

Everything was so simple, and innocent.... We never had any money, but we raised 2 girls and never thought we were broke... Just couldn't BUY very much!   I made $80 last us two weeks worth of meals, till the next pay-day. I had to make a list of what to buy, and how many meals that would cover....  Our rent was $60 a month...

So Drive-ins were the only thing we did, when the girls were little...Ha! 

Maybe starting out with almost nothing, is the reason we appreciate our "things" so much now.  And never going into debt.... We charged new furniture once, but we paid that off, and never bought anything again, unless we had saved enough money.

Actually we "charged" our house when we bought it...but paid that off over the years.... 

Bought "my own" car...a new one, in '99!  And still drive it around....! 

So what were we talking about?  Oh well, fun going down memory lane...

Going to take DH to the Urgent Care or Emer. room this morning....His elbow is sooo swollen, and  it really hurts...he still can't straighten it, or barely even move it.  I'll take care of him, if he would just LET me.... Why IS it, when men are in pain, they are a pain in the .....???   So I just want to get it checked out...before I go nuts....

Oh Lord help me if it is cracked or something, and he has to wear a cast.... I can't even get him to wear this new sling we bought!   But maybe they can at least prescribe something for pain... And something for me?....Wink

• Kaara
    edited January 2012

Chevy:  Sorry about your DH...yes they can be a pain in the a$$.  Sounds like the same thing that happened to my girlfriend when she fell.  Fortunately though, she didn't have to wear a hard cast, but she did have to have some surgery to correct...forget what it was called.  Best to check it out.

Those were the good old days!  I raised four kids on my own, paid all the bills, and never once got into debt.  Kids are constantly getting into trouble with their credit cards, etc.  Today I'm going to help DS and DIL buy a new washer...they can't even buy that on their own!  Where did I go wrong? 

• WaveWhisperer
    edited January 2012

PJ, Yes, yes, Maggie Smith is THE star of "Downton Abbey." We watched an interview with the author/writer who said that she was brilliant and turned his B+ lines into A+++ lines with her droll delivery. I don't know about Doc Martin, will have to look that up. Last night we just finished the BBC miniseries "To Serve Them All My Days." We bought it on DVD. It's about a young English man who barely survives WWI and begins teaching at a prep school. Really excellent. I highly recommend it.

My DH and I dislike most American TV, but if anyone is doing it right, it's HBO. We have enjoyed all of these, usually on DVD: Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Deadwood, Treme, Mildred Pierce, Boardwalk Empire and In Treatment.

ChevyBoy, loved your memories of the "good old days." Yes, it was a much more innocent, simple time. Kids now can't even relate. I remember when I told my daughter that before she was born, we didn't have remote controls. "But how else could you turn on the TV?" she asked. 

• pj12
    edited January 2012

Ah, the grandchildren :). CA grandson was here last summer. Just turned 6 yrs old. We do have a modern fridge but no ice-water in the door. He looked at the refrigerator and said, "where do you get a glass of water?"

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

It's so funny listening to you guys...can't help but chuckle....Smile  THAT was good,  "But how else could you turn on the TV?" 
    And "Where do you get a glass of water?"  Ha, ha!  We don't have one of those either.....!

I was driving our girls to the store once, and the oldest was in about 4th grade, and she said they were talking about boys, and babies in her class...and I thought "oh NO!" 

And  she said something about "you have to mate" .... "And then you have a baby!"   I said "I know, honey, but no, you just don't "make love" to have a baby..."  She thought that you never had to "mate" again, once you had your babies....

I said, "Honey, it's just like part of being married, and cooking dinner, and making gravy, and cleaning house."  But for some reason she wanted no part of it....  Until she got to High School, and  those BC pills fell out of her purse....

Well I abruptly called the school, Planned Parenthood, & indignantly asked..."What are you trying to do, encourage girls to have sex?"  She calmly explained, "If a girl is old enough to actively engage in  sex, she is old enough for birth control, and doesn't need her Mother's permission..."

I was not happy, but I kind of grew up myself, I guess... So when our youngest Daughter reached that age, I asked her Sister to please explain to her about Birth Control....Ha! 

Oh!  And when the baggie of "seeds" and a glass pipe, and rolling papers fell out of younger Sisters purse!!!!!   Just glad I don't have to go through all that again!

But those girls grew up to be the best kids I ever knew....AND raised the Grand-sons as boys to be proud of!

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012
    Happiness is a conscious choice, not an automatic response.
    - Mildred Barthel
  • illinoislady
    edited January 2012

Good morning everyone:

I too had a great laugh over the kid's questions/thoughts and talk of how it was for us.  Well, the upside is that we do have a few things on these young ones.  I did not see it that way back then, but consider now that my life was an ideal --- town of 200, trees and woods everywhere, and we barely realized how much world was out there somewhere.  We started out with only radio.  Lean to swim in a muddy pond -- and worked ( we all cleaned house, did laundry etc ) hard and often played harder. I ran or rode a bike everywhere and walked when I wasn't running.  Hopscoth was played almost daily......and of course we had home-made stilts and a hula hoop at which I was terrifically proficient. 

Since there was no t.v. you had to make up a lot of your fun.  My kids did start out with black and white t.v. but graduated so quickly to color....I doubt it is even a recollection to them. 

I think.....our generation will be the dark ages for sure for all our grands and great grands.  Sigh!!! I wouldn't trade my early life for anything.  What a fantastic learning/growing/developing experience, even though I found it a little stiffling at the time.  It is my treasure now.

Hugs, Jackie

• WaveWhisperer
    edited January 2012

Jackie, your childhood sounds similar to mine. A small town; riding bikes everywhere; spending long hours just exploring nearby woods. Those woods were like a fantasy world for us kids. We'd draw maps of the woods, stomp out paths in the snow for sledding, build treehouses and forts in the summer, build simple tables and chairs for picnics of peanut butter sandwiches.

And I LOVED homemade stilts!! Those were the most fun ever. An old guy in the neighborhood -- slightly odd, he was -- used to make them for us in his garage. We'd go over and hang out in his garage every day. Today parents would forbid their kids from doing that, fearing he was some sort of pervert. No, he was just a kind old man who didn't have kids of his own and enjoyed seeing us have fun.

Summer nights were great for hide-and-seek, catching lightning bugs, walking downtown for a 5-cent Dairy Queen cone.

Our parents never worried about us. Everyone is town knew everybody else. We'd play all day outside and come home for dinner. To have to stay inside on a rainy day was like prison. 

Now schools don't even have recess anymore, and kids spend all their time on their butts inside, watching TV and playing with electronics. No wonder childhood obesity is a problem. 

My daughter has never climbed a tree. 

• illinoislady
    edited January 2012

There is another set of familiar memories, Wave.  The lighting bugs -- caught in a jar on a warm summer night....and you probably did a lot of barefoot walking.  When we went to the back house/outhouse in the very back of our large yard the dew was plentiful in the grass and so were the frogs.  We would often accidentally step on them.... childhood.  I think you are right Wave --- there are way too many young kids not having much of one.....how sad to never climb a tree or be the lookout for enemies coming, or play the night time games.  And yes.....we had our weird people, but we were safe.  The whole town was our "parents".....and best to do as your told.  Rewards though not always a given were sweet then.  Great memories.

Hugs, Jackie

• WynGator
    WynGator Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2012

Hello Ladies, Sorry to just barge right into your wonderful forum but I am so grateful to find a forum that is dedicated to this specific age group. I myself just celebrated my 52 birthday on January 4th.  So, I am very close and consider myself still a young one.  :)  What brings me to this forum is my mother. 

I am taking care of my 74 year old mother who has recurrent triple negative breast cancer.  She was initially diagnosed about 6 or 7 years ago.  She had lumpectomy and radiation treatments.  She remained disease free until she presented with symptoms in November of 2010.  Her right hand began to cause her great pain, especially her fingers.  Who would have guessed that this was the first sign of recurrence.  A CT scan of her shoulder showed the cancer mass in the brachial plex nerves under her arm which were squeezing her nerves.  CT also showed tumors on her liver and one on her lung. 

She had chemo (can't recall the number of rounds 4 or 5) and her tumors were responsive but the chemo was very tough on her and she spent much time in the hospital. All was good from March through November 2011.  Then the back pain began as well as weakness in legs.  Back in for PET scan which showed tumors on the spine and also back in her liver.  She had radiation for the largest tumor on spine so that she could get into rehab and get her leg strength back.  She had began XELODA and was doing fine tolerating it.  She went for her regular followup with medical oncologist and mentioned that she had begun seeing double sometimes and she had felt slight nausea (not during XELODA dosing but on off week).  Dr. sent her for Brain scan to rule out mets.

Well, they were there and plenty of them.  If I had to guess looking at the scan, I might guess 8 or 12.  The largest back near the optic area of brain.  So, back to the radiologist they sent us yesterday.  I was hoping he would say they would target the one lone mass near her optic region but he said WBR due to all the other small ones.  You know at this point, her symptoms are minor.  I only think her symptoms acted up because she was weaning herself off of dexamethasone that she had been on since November's spinal cord compression discovery.  She is back on the dexamethasone (which she hates) and planning to begin WBR on Tuesday.  I don't know if this is the best thing for her anymore.  It sounded like a reasonable plan in the oncologist office yesterday.  But, I look at my Mom and I think that it might be more than she can handle.  She lives alone with her little Yorkie and her 2 cats.  She is to have 3 weeks of WBR then go back to her Medical Oncologist to begin with the XELODA again.  What to do, what to do??  Spent a lot of the day reading various sites on WBR and it is scarey.  Most of the sites I read were for Lung Cancer but since this is a breast cancer site thought I would come here.

You know this is not my 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd close family member battling this ugly disease.  My brother battled staged 3 Non Hogkins Lymphoma over 20 years ago, it was a very tough chemo protocol but he is fine!  My husband battled adult Rhabdomyosarcoma which was 6 months of heavy chemo, then 7 weeks of radiation, surgeries and  a recurrence that resulted in him having a partial lung removal and thank God that was over 12 years ago and he too is fine.  My dad battled primary liver cancer AFTER having a liver transplant and he was fine until they attempted the "radio frequency abalation" to try to stop his liver mets.  I believe that was what hastened his downfall with his disease.  So, I worry about this WBR and what it will do to my mother's quality of life. 

I was wondering if anyone here is not only in this age group but also has the Triple Negative Diagnosis? 

Thanks so much for listening.  Mostly, thanks so much for sharing your stories.  It really helps so many to read through them!! 

Laurie

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2012

Oh man, Laurie!  Back to the real world for us!  I'm sorry...about your Mom!  You know honey, I am 74...My Daughters are 50 & almost 52. 

When I was first diagnosed 2 years ago, my oldest told me, to "Take them off"....and I didn't like that, & felt hurt because she said that....But she later said "I just wanted my Mom, and didn't want to worry about you getting cancer again".....  I wanted a Lumpectomy, and didn't want anything removed.... If it happens again, I don't know!  But I KNOW chemo is so very hard on us as we get older.

There are some other gals on these threads, that are older and going through what is happening to your Mom....All kinds of treatments, etc.... I'll post a link to a couple after I end this one....

But once mets start, it's like you have to keep chasing them with some of the same, or different treatments..

And here you are.....I can see where you are coming from....  and I understand!  What does your Mom want?  Sounds like her cancer is kind of just picking where it wants to go next.  If your Mom wants to try something different, see how it goes....If she doesn't, then that is her choice....

I'll also ask the Mods where you can look on this forum, to get better answers....

Thinking of you....xoxoxo