Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited July 2009

Hi Gill,

My tumor was high--upper/outer, too.  Hope your port is healing well--it may seem a bit of an inconvenience at first, but I'm so glad I had one put in.  The TN treatment is aggressive, but you can do it!  I'll be starting rads the first part of August...so am getting ready for another new experience.  Helen

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited July 2009

Our Golf 4 the Cure raised $5,500 for the Susan G. Komen Foundation!  It is all being earmarked for research in the hope that it might help somebody find that cure that we need!  The golfing event was fun and the golfers were very generous with their donations!  Today I'm just "chilling out" on my deck, writing questions and enjoying my lovely back yard.

Lisa, you are in a lovely area of our country.  I visited San Diego about 10 years ago for a National Science Teacher's Convention.  I loved your city.  We rented a car and also drove up the coast one day and found a wonderful little cove in which to have lunch.  I'd love to come back out that way!

More later..

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited July 2009

ritajean, I wish I could have played in your Golf4 the Cure.  We had a similar fundraiser at my club several years ago.  My husband has relatives in Decatur, IL, so we go there to visit and always bring our golf clubs.  I'm assuming you're a golfer?

• Cheyanne
    Cheyanne Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2009

Yes, IllinoisLady, I do have a positive attitude.  Last week, I was visiting with a friend.  Although I have only known her a couple of years so far, she is a good friend and she has been with me through the past few months.  She told me she has never seen anybody in my circumstances with such a positive attitude.  Well, I didn't know what to say except, well, there are a lot of things that are worse to have than what I have had.  Also, I think my recovery time from surgery, which was short, is colored by the other procedures I have had that were so much worse.  Hysterectomy, total hip replacement, two ankle pinnings (for one ankle fracture), to name a few. 

• amE2
    amE2 Member Posts: 90
    edited July 2009

Hi Ladies,

Haven't been here lately, just been feeling under the weather since I was in the hosptial for the allergic reaction.  I was told I probably caught a flu bug.  Leave it up to a hospital to make me sick.  LOL  Then they canceled Roberts hernia surgery and he has to go in to have his heart checked out.  They better get this hernia done by the time we go to the OBX.  If I have to leave the OBX to take him to a hospital for a strangulating hernia I am NOT going to be a happy lady.  LOL  Poor guy.  Maybe I can get one of my relatives to take pity on him.  LOL

Cheyenne, I so agree with you, what's the point in spending my life crying and feeling sorry for myself.  I may not have that much time left.  And I wanna tell ya, after the anaphylactic shock I could see it getting shorter by the second.  :-O

Well, I am going to work a bit on getting my stomach back into working order. Just wanted to check in and see how everyone was and let you know ---"my life ain't over yet."  

OH BTW, I asked to have my Zometa lowered as I was spending close to three weeks reacting to it.  They did and I was much better this time, but then again I was on Prednisone for a whole week.  Now I have to go get allergy stuff to take with me everywhere.  I wanna tell ya, can I find more things to go wrong in my life?  

Does anyone here play Farmtown or Yoville on Facebook?  I do keep myself entertained with the dumbest things.  LOL

Nice to read everyone's comments.

Hugs, Pam

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,263
    edited July 2009

Golly Pam --- good to see you here again.  You have had a tough time and I would imagine you did "get ideas" during your "shock" session.  I know it must be very un-pleasant to go through....guess the only decent part is that it is all very quick.  I hope you don't have anything close to that happen again.  I'll be praying you don't. 

Just reading much of what all of you said.  We are thankful that this place is here and we can come...there is something about this disease that brings out such good parts of others. Consistently.

Cheyanne, Carole, Gilly, Leslie,Maga ( I like that just as much as grandmother or Marie )Pam, Lisa,......and Jo as well as everyone that comes here.....we come because we have a need and because this is the WAY we learn how to do cancer.  Even the Oncologists and many of the oncology nurses have never HAD this experience personally.  Many of them are very good and I'm thankful they are there but I think it really does take one to know one.......to really, really know. 

Hope you all have a really wonderful evening.

Jackie

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited July 2009

You are right Jackie..when I was going through most of my treatment in 2000-2001, I could find no where to turn to find "us"...

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Here is something I left on the thread Rita started....I don't think they will mind if I share as I think it is so applicable to and for several of the latest blog entries:

When we long for a life with no difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds, and diamonds are made under pressure. -Peter Marshall

If we are alive in this world we are going to have challenges...un-asked for and un-wanted and we just have to pray for the strength and wisdom it will take to move through them. 

Hugs

• ritajean
    edited July 2009

You just said it all, Jackie....and so well! 

Pam..so glad that you're feeling better.  I don't play those games on Facebook yet but I've gotten hooked on some of the mindjolt games on the site.  I don't dare sit down to play them unless I have plenty of time to waste!  LOL Gads, I'm really as bad as a teenager with them!  LOL

Carole, I am a "poor golfer."  Bowling is more my true sport, I think, because I started golfing way too late in life and my son got all the lessons instead of me.  However, I live down the lane from a golf course and I love being out on the course.  I don't think I've ever seen an ugly golf course and there's something about being out on a pretty course that's so peaceful....even when you've just hit a very ugly shot!  LOL  I also like the companionship of the other gals and the other activities and special events that we do.   Decatur is just down the road from me.  The next time you come this way, PM me and maybe you'll have time to meet for a cup of coffee or a quick chat.

Gotta get moving.  I slept in again today which is pretty unusual for me!

Hugs to all of you!

Rita

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited July 2009

Jackie, well said...I dated Peter Marshall's son and played bridge with Catherine Marshall..

she was a stong woman..

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

It is a small world....isn't it?  I love hearing these stories.  We don't know where the path may lead.....sometimes a few points of  fascination show up.  So many people touch us and we touch so many too.  It is a total delight. 

Jackie

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited July 2009

Hi ladies - just a little update. Got my port on Wednesday, and doing ok with it. But it makes my chest feel a bit heavy!! Had the last scan today - MUGA. Nothing now till we see the oncologist on Tuesday. I have decided there is no point worrying about the scan results. Whatever is there is there and worrying will not change anything. Hopefully I can get started with treatment next week.

RitaJean - my husband's sister lives in Bloomington and hubby is a boilermaker!

• wwjd
    wwjd Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2009

I'm just starting to read this on older women. Just what I was looking for. I am 79 and agree with no chemo. I wondered if anyone took only the oral pill ( I am on Arimidex) and haven't had surgery yet. I was dx. in May and have idc both breasts with axilliary node involvement on th rt,side

wwjd

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited July 2009

Pam - Hi!  I've been away as well...probably playing My Farm on Face Book!!

Susan

• wwjd
    wwjd Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2009
    I also want to say  that I never considered myself as "old" until I hit 75. The majority of you gals are still kids. I do believe that age and physical condition has a lot to do with prognosis and treatment.  I can count on one hand the number of times I have had antibiotics. I've had no surgery. I also have Ostepenia,  Cardiac Arrythmia and arthritis of the spine. My brothers and sister all died in their 60's, so imagine my surprise that I am still going strong at 79. And yes my first concern is quality of life and quantity. I go to curves 3 x wk and us a treadmill 2x wk. If I can go on living as I do with only Arimidex, that will suit me fine.  I am on page 6 of the discussion and hope to keep reading up to the latest. Are there any Old women out there who love the computer and this discussion group as much as I do?
  • dkhancock1948
    dkhancock1948 Member Posts: 181
    edited July 2009

wwjd:  I love your attitude!  Wow!  You still don't sound like you consider yourself old.  I think "old" is a lot in your mind.  I am a young 60.  Curves 3 x wk - I should take lessons from you!!!

Have a great weekend.

• noni1
    noni1 Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2009

Hello Everyone,

I too am glad to have found this thread.  I am 56 and just found out this past March I was cancer free.  What a ride.  I am taking Femara.  It does have a few side effects,  but I can deal with them.  I keep my self busy working.  I never stopped working through my treatments.  I did it for my own sanity.  The company I work for put me on a flex leave for a year,  I worked when I could and those days I could not pull my fatigued body out of bed I stayed home.  I also have a 6 year old grandson who keeps me going.  I want to see him grow up. 

After going through BC and seeing the cost of treatments and medication, also surgery,  I feel for those that have to struggle to get better.  It is just one more worry that at the time you are going through BC treatment you should  not have to worry about .  This government has to really look at the health care issues and help people who need it.  But,  I will not get on my soapbox.

I have terrible hot flashes on Femora.  But,  I would rather have hot flashes than BC.  It has not been an easy road for any of us.  We will never be the same again.  I always tell my husband I want my old self back.  But, this self has learned a whole lot in the last year.  Take nothing for granted and love life.  Be happy to wake up every morning, have a cup of coffee, read the paper. Be patient, and tell all your friends and family how much they mean to you.  I feel I am getting a second chance at life and I am going to do what I want and if I want to read a book all day, I am .

That is the beauty of being a little older and a little wiser.

Hope to talk again soon.  I got my first haircut today in almost two years.  It was scary.

God bless you all.   Cindy 

• smallworld123
    smallworld123 Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2009

I want to grow up to be an old lady. Just turned 67years old. Thanks for this thread.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited July 2009

Hi from a cold blustery New Zealand. I have been reading this thread for awhile and think this is a friendly place to be. Cancer treatment certainly isn't one size fits all and treatment varies from country to country as well. We all do what we think is best for us, here most treatment is in the public sector so we don't have to make a lot of decisions like you girls in the US. I had Fec/taxol chemo then radiation and now I am on Femara. doing well but have other ongoing health problems whic are causing some concern.

Anyway life is good

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited July 2009

WWJD, sorry, I don't think you are "old" enough for this thread.  Please don't post again - you put the rest of us to shame!  (curves-3x/wk; treadmill-2x/wk - show-off!!!) 

Okay, just kidding - welcome to all you wonderful ladies who have found us.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Hi Alyson, smallworld,Cindy and hello again to Debbie,Susan, Gilly and all the rest.

wwjd....we are all kids with you.  Was it here.....I was telling someone recently how old I felt ( very, very old before I was 10 ) and as well for many years afterward.....but as I age much of me --- at least the mental part of me tends to feel much, much younger.  I will be 64 in calendar years on my birthday in September....but I don't seem to feel too much different than when I was 53 or 53.  I don't quite have the stamina....should say it can come and go a bit more now but it's only just over a yr. since my last chemo. 

Cindy it is true.... I did not realize how much I took for granted until I got ill.  Canser was always something someone else got.....in fact, I did not even know very many people with canser.  No real history in my family etc.  But you are right....we don't take for granted now and look at the every day treasures that surround us.  And....absolutely......we get another chance....a do-over so to speak.  For all those times I did not tell someone how much I cared about them, or how much I appreciate sharing a part of their life and them sharing mine....I now get more days to go back and correct....do-over so much of what had been common-place to me.  Every day is important now....because it is a gift and I wish not to take it for granted as I once did.

All of you....this is my big chance to tell you what an honor to know you and spend time with you and thank God for you.  My life is so much more than it was....though in lots of ways it was not bad, but I am doing it over and can love and honor so much more than I ever did. 

Have a beautiful evening.  I'm off to recline and relax and be thankful.

Hugs, Jackie

p.s.  and just when you thought a little smarmy might never sneak in.

• smallworld123
    smallworld123 Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2009

I want to live to be an old lady. I'm 67 years young, just got bc this year, had a mast. and want to go on to the next stage in my life. Put cancer behind me, and pray for us all for no recurrance. I did not do everything that the doctor said, but feel good in going the natural way. Its a personal decision we all have to make. I cannot beleive all the young women who have breast cancer now. Why? I asked myself, its not fair to them, or to us older ladies, but what do we all have in common with the young girls? If we could figure that out, we would know how to stop bc. blessings to all my sisters.

• ritajean
    edited July 2009

Welcome to you new ladies!

wwjd.... You put me to shame!  I need to get into a better exercise routine.  I love your attitude!

Cindy, I think alot like you do now.  I see things much differently than before breast cancer.  I drop all my "duties" and go do the fun things when somebody calls and wants to golf, shop, or bowl.  It's amazing, but those things that I thought were so important before seem to wait for us!  Eventually I find the time to pick up the clutter!   I also read alot.  It's one of my favorite past times.  Before I felt guilty if I picked up a book and sat on the deck and read for a few hours.   NOT ANYMORE!!!  Now it's a real treat and I enjoy every minute.

Gill...It is indeed a small world.  If you get to Bloomington, PM me and maybe we can meet for a "gab session."  

Well I'm off to pull weeds.  Amazingly enough, I like doing that too, especially on days like today that are not extremely hot.

Catch you all later.  Have a good weekend.

Rita

• amE2
    amE2 Member Posts: 90
    edited July 2009

Hi Ladies,

Back again.  WWJD   Yes, OR? NO I have not had surgery. I am on Arimidex as they said I was highly Estrogen+ and Progesterone + but I am HER2 - so they are doing their first CTC (Circulating Tumor Cells) blood test on July 28th but I won't know the results until after I come back from the OBX on Aug 17th.  I would still opt for no surgery as the Arimidex is doing a wonderful job.  A horribly inflamed breast with a two-three inch lesion has gone down to a regular breast with what now looks like a scar.  But I have lost a lot of breast tissue.  Sooo, LOL this is soooo silly, one side is large and the other is about half that size.  LOL  I can only laugh, what else can I do.  I am not big on prosthesis type stuff.  I am sort of a natural lady so I make everyone else put up with it.  LOL  Sometimes, they stare but only if they know.  ;-)

I have to comment about Catherine Marshall as 36 years ago when my life was at the lowest ebb it would ever be I read several of her books.  God bless her, she saved my sanity many, many, times. 

AS TO AGE, no, don't really want to talk about it.  (64 but whose counting) LOL  I have been asked, --- out and out asked, what is the prognosis?  I want to say "And that is your business because?????"   I can't see ONE good reason for anyone to have that information other then my family and even then, --- frankly my onco  hasn't given me a prognosis.  The only one I got was that I was a long way from going up to Moffit, our premier cancer center up in Tampa.  I am happy with that.  I don't need to be projecting my own death.  ;-)

So, I have that and Robert (my husband, who has decided there is absolutely "nothing" wrong with me and acts accordingly.  Sigh.  Yes, well, dependent husbands and all that----.  

Ok, I am off to feed my 4 cats and pick Robert up from work.

Talk to you all later.  

Happy to see so many positive posts.

Hugs, Pam

• noni1
    noni1 Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2009

Hello Ladies,

Hope you all had a nice day.  WWJD,  you go girl.  You have more energy than I do.  Can I borow some.

Ritajean,  I love to read also.  I live in Florida and in the summer it rains almost everyday.  I get all my chores and errands done in the morning and then when it gets all dark  and rainy by mid afternoon, I get my book and read and chill.  I often leave things to do also.  There is always tomorrow.

Well, I'm going to go and surf the web,  have a great evening to you all.

Cindy 

• beergirl
    beergirl Member Posts: 83
    edited July 2009

Is there anyone here dealing with caring for an elderly parent or handicapped adult child as well as cancer? I need all the ideas I can get.

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited July 2009
    Pam - I totally get letting people deal with whatever difference in boob sizes that you have. When I had a lumpectomy, one was a bit smaller and that was that. Now that I've had a mastectomy and the other one is . . . ummmm  . . . not tiny  - I wanted something to kind of even things up. I may have mentioned it here before - my daughter knit me a choice of new ones. You can fill them with quilt stuffing (or whatever) to the size you like. I like it because it is light, cool and stays put well in a mastectomy or often in a regular bra. I have the formal prosthetic and have only worn it once. Yuk. If you ever decide there are occasions when you want to "even up", here is the address  http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTbits.html  Yesterday when I saw the radiology oncologist, he and his nurse were really impressed - the young male first year resident, not so much! Apparently if you follow some of the links on the site, it is possible to buy them ready made. My daughter says that it is a really easy pattern for a knitter.
  • pegat13
    pegat13 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2009

Here I stand shivering on the edge of the high board, squeze my eyes shut, pinch my nose and...JUMP.  After 13 years of actively not wanting to know, I recently stumbled on this site and am now considerably more knowledgeble about my case and ready to REVEAL ALL (and hopefully receive revelations from others). May 26, 1996, enjoying a liesurely shower before dressing in beige befitting the mother of the groom,I discovered the lump. A BIG lump - 8cm.  One week later I was enrolled in protocol seeking to discover if taxotere in combination with the gold standard chemo mix could shrink the tumor to the point that a lumpectomy would be  as effective as a radical mastectomy. In my case the answer was a dramatic yes. Everything went along swimmingly: surgery, radiation, Tamoxifen and at last, the 5 year victory bell.  I was cured!  Not only that,but unlike many of my friends of a certain age I had no health problems. No high blood pressure or cholesterol, not overweight, no arthrihtis so no joint replacements, no heart problems, not even cataracts.  I was now 60, ready to retire and ready to roll out and do something new and useful to save the world and have fun doing it.  But wait- what is that nagging pain in my hip?  You say thats not the hip?  Its called the sacrum? And it contains the most worrisome of 3 bone metastases?  OOPS!  Crank up the broad beam radiation, Arrimidex, Zometa, 5 different Cyberknife sessions. More trouble, switch to xeloda.  A lymph node pops up and up -  zap it with radiation.  But suddenly last month I can barely walk.  I have lost much sensation in my legs and feet over the years caused by nerve damage from the sacral tumor.  This is nothing new.  Pain, dropped foot, a cold and wasted leg, not to mention (I usually don't) bowel and bladder problems, have all originated under the auspices of the sacral tumor and have been slowly debilitating me for the past 5 years. But now I can barely balance on my own 2 feet without toopling over and can only lurch very slowly and very carefully from pillar to post.  Sometimes even that doesn't work and I have 2 black eyes to prove it. I also have a new doctor on the team- a neuro oncologist.  New doctor = new words to learn: lumbo- sacral plexopathy, radiculopathy, cord compression.  All scary because they arrive accompanied by the term "nerve infiltration."  No longer am I a no brainer, paint by the numbers case with a few simple bone mets. Now I have 3 docs, my oncologist, the radiologist and the neuro-oncologist.  I hear they were kicking my case around trying to decide what happens next. Most likely another round of Xeloda from what I can glean.I was never present at these conferences but I get the feeling that the neuro oncologist sees bad things coming down the track for me. In a few weeks I'll be 68, definitely old enough for this ole biddy thread, doncha think?  So I ask: Is anyone out there still awake at 1:43 EDT?  Ever been down a long and dusty road that looked like thisone? Do you know where this story goes next? I'd love to hear from you!

• pegat13
    edited July 2009

Here I stand shivering on the edge of the high board, squeze my eyes shut, pinch my nose and...JUMP.  After 13 years of actively not wanting to know, I recently stumbled on this site and am now considerably more knowledgeble about my case and ready to REVEAL ALL (and hopefully receive revelations from others). May 26, 1996, enjoying a liesurely shower before dressing in beige befitting the mother of the groom,I discovered the lump. A BIG lump - 8cm.  One week later I was enrolled in protocol seeking to discover if taxotere in combination with the gold standard chemo mix could shrink the tumor to the point that a lumpectomy would be  as effective as a radical mastectomy. In my case the answer was a dramatic yes. Everything went along swimmingly: surgery, radiation, Tamoxifen and at last, the 5 year victory bell.  I was cured!  Not only that,but unlike many of my friends of a certain age I had no health problems. No high blood pressure or cholesterol, not overweight, no arthrihtis so no joint replacements, no heart problems, not even cataracts.  I was now 60, ready to retire and ready to roll out and do something new and useful to save the world and have fun doing it.  But wait- what is that nagging pain in my hip?  You say thats not the hip?  Its called the sacrum? And it contains the most worrisome of 3 bone metastasis?  OOPS! Broad beam radiation, Arrimidex, Zometa, 5different Cyberknife sessions. More trouble, switch to xeloda.  A lymph node pops up and up, zap it with radiation.  But suddenly last month I can barely walk.  I have lost much sensation in my legs and feet over the years caused by nerve damage from the sacral tumor.  This is nothing new.  Pain, dropped foot, a cold and wasted leg, not to mention (I usually don't) bowel and bladder problems have all originated under the auspices of the sacral tumor and have been slowly debilitating me for the past 5 years. But now I can barely balance on my own 2 feet without toopling over and can only lurch very slowly and very carefully from pillar to post.  Sometimes even that doesn't work and I have 2 black eyes to prove it. I also have a new doctor on the team- a neuro oncologist.  New doctor = new words to learn: lumbo- sacral plexopathy, radiculopathy, cord compression.  All scary because they arrive accompanied by the term "nerve infiltration."  No longer am I a no brainer, paint by the numbers case with a few simple bone mets. Now I have 3 docs, my oncologist, the radiologist and the neuro-oncologist.  I hear they were kicking my case around trying to decide what happens next. Most likely another round of Xeloda from what I can glean.I was never present at these conferences but I get the feeling that the neuro oncologist sees bad things coming down the track for me. In a few weeks I'll be 68, definitely old enough for this ole biddy thread, doncha think?  So I ask: Is anyone out there still awake at 1:43 EDT?  Ever been down a long and dusty road that looked like thisone? Do you know where this story goes next? I'd love to hear from you!

• pegat13
    edited July 2009

OOPS!  Somehow I posted the same message twice, thus the deletion.