Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• rnest
    rnest Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2009

Hello,

I am new at this. Was diagnosed8/4/09 differentiated invasive ductal carcinoma.

scheduled for surgery 8/10 I hope to have a lumpectomy with follow up Mammosite radiation tx

I am 70 years young

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,265
    edited August 2009

Welcome r nest.  Nice to meet you.  We are glad you found us.  It appears they found your IDC at a pretty early stage....this is quite good. Hope it all turns out well for you.  If there is anything you want to ask please feel free....we are here to help and support one another.  Many of us have finished our main treatments but come here because of the companionship and ability to understand  some of life's changes when you have a disease process like this one. 

I'm sure others will come on and welcome you as well.  Week-ends here can be a bit slow so don't give up.

Jackie

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited August 2009

welcome dragonfly

Hello rnest.  As Jackie mentioned, you will find so much information, love, compassion and understanding here.  If you had to join this club, and we are sorry you did, you are most welcome.

Paprika - we are young - at least at heart!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited August 2009

Yes, we are young at heart!  It's true that age creeps up, year by year.  I couldn't quite believe it when I reached 65 and Uncle Sam sent me my medicare card in the mail.  I told everybody I'd received a birthday card from Uncle Sam.  For all those Americans out there declaring that the government can't run health care, I have to say that medicare has worked very well for me and my husband.  Same with social security.  Everything went smoothly.  I was sorry that medicare didn't cover my on-q pain pump that was installed during my bilat mx 2 weeks ago, but I was fortunate enough to be able to pay for it myself. 

I upped my walking distance from 8/10 of a mile to a full mile today. 

Sunny, hot and humid here with chances of thunderstorms during the afternoon.  Typical summer forecast.  Sure hope the Gulf of Mexico remains quiet.  My dh has the 5th wheel ready to go in the event a hurricane brews up and we have to evacuate. 

Have a peaceful, blessed Sunday, everybody.

• illinoislady
    edited August 2009

Age...guess I think about it a lot.  There are several things I miss,but at the same time I also feel so blessed.  It is wonderful to know that I will get through today without all of my teen-age tragedies and angst.  I won't have to wonder how my children will turn out -- for better or worse they have turned out....and they are fine because they are exactly who they were meant to be.  I don't have to "worry" about my job much as I have my social security now to fall back on if all else fails.  In a year I'll get Medicare and as Carole said...if it goes pretty much as it did for her that will be fine.  I don't have to worry about my parents.  They are both deceased, but enjoyed their lives and lived them to the fullest setting me a fantastic example. 

So age....you are just a number.....and according to that number I am able to count so many, many blessings and though my age is not vast....I have climbed your mountains and settled peacefully on the other side somewhere just over the summit feeling much younger than my "age" says I am.  I am much more comfortable in my skin now....even with age spots and wrinkles and a few creaky places and best of all.....I know where I am going now and I do not fear the journey.  I will make every day the best that I can and not look back because it is today that is important. 

I echo Carole's wonderful words:  Have a peaceful, blessed Sunday, everybody. 

Hugs,

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited August 2009

Chooks,A hot day here in SW MO, too.  Gravity has kept me absolutely riveted to my recliner.  I haven't rebounded as usual from my last Taxol, but am convincing myself that a walk after the sun goes down would help. 

Paprika   I chuckled when I read your comment about snapdragons. When I was about 3, an aunt picked snapdragons and pinched one to make it "snap."  Absolutely terrified me and I always think of snapdragons as a kid's flower!!  And speaking of flowers, Kathleen, your violets are lovely!  

Rnest  Welcome to our "seasoned" women's thread.  Hope the lumpectomy goes well tomorrow. Let us know how you are doing.

And I am SO THANKFUL to Patoo and to JO's daughter!  Here I was, after reading about ironing from JO, Jackie, Rita and Carole, feeling lazy, wrinkled, and downright slovenly, until Patoo spoke up, and JO spilled the beans about her daughter!  Ya Hoo, what a relief!

Take care, Chooks and stay cool.   Helen

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited August 2009

Welcome Mest...

We went to a Padres-Mets baseball game last night and the

Padres won...

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2009

Rnest - will keep you in prayer tomorrow for your surgery.  Please post back when you are able to let us know how you are.

Gramof3, thank you for validating my feelings about ironing.  I was beginning to think I needed to go search out my birth cert to make sure I was on the right thread; that perhaps I needed to be in the age group of JO's daughter instead.  LOL

IllinoisLady - I love your perspective on the issue of  'age'.  I earned every day of my age and will claim each and every second of it.  I looked back, saw, cried, apologized and came to terms with all that went before and now my focus is forward one day at a time.

Enjoy the evening all.

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010
  • ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited August 2009

Oh no, Maire!  I just planted a hydrangea this summer in one of my shaded areas.  I didn't know they were OLD LADY PLANTS!!!!   YIKES!   LOL  I really like them!!!!!

Welcome, rnest.  We will be thinking about you as you have your surgery.  Please do let us know how it goes as soon as you are able.  Hugs and prayers are heading your way!

One of my best friends will be turning the big 6-0 in a week.  She's having a hard time with this one.  I told her she was so lucky.  Many people never make it to the 6-0 mark.  It's certainly something to celebrate!  Believe me, I'm celebrating every birthday that comes my way!  Hey, I'll even help all of you celebrate yours, too,  if you want!  :-)

Well, I need to get off this computer and find my recliner.  You know how we OLD ladies are!  We need our rest!  LOL

Have a great Monday!

Rita

• wwjd
    wwjd Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2009

Hi everyone; I love the fact that so many paryers are being said. I have a lot of payer groups praying for me and I thank God every day for His Son and Holy spirit. And I pray for everyone here, that God, Son and Holy Spirit are with us each day. No matter what comes we know we are not alone.  I am 79 and on Arimidex. Many of the se I have had off and on for years. So I don't know if it is from the Ar. or just my aching bones.. The two that I never had before are a headache that comes and goes and hot flashes and chills. Really strange.  Don't know how to get rid of "edit"

• ritajean
    edited August 2009

Hey wwjd, we left the Midwest this past May and spent three days in your lovely city and the surrounding area before heading on west to Vegas and circling around to the south on our way home.  What a lovely place to live!  I have never had the headache or the chills with the Arimidex but I've had the hotflashes at first.  Then they seemed to go away.....with no complaints from me!

SoCal Lisa, loved your baseball photo since I'm a long time baseball fan!  Well, heck, let's just admit it.  I love all your photos!   LOL 

This week brings bc back to the forefront for me again.  I have my bloodwork done on Thursday and meet with the oncologist for the "routine" check-up next week.  However, for me, nothing seems to be just routine with this journey so I have my fingers and toes crossed that all looks well.  I always tell myself that I'm not going to worry because there's nothing I can do to change any results but here I am again with a case of the "what ifs!""  Silly, aren't I?

I need to get moving this morning.  It looks like another hot day in the Midwest and I'm strange because I love the hot weather and have missed the summer that we haven't really had.

Thinking of you today Rnest and hoping for a successful and uneventful surgery with a speedy recovery!  HUGS!

Have a great day ladies.  I will probably check in again later.

Rita

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited August 2009

Just got finished ironing - those big man shirts that cover up the PICC line and irregularities.

• lassie11
    edited August 2009

JO   - Irregularities are where the mastectomy was and the seroma still is so the prosthetic needs some encouragement to sit properly.  The PICC line is instead of a port - slightly less invasive surgically - it is just above the inside of the elbow, requires weekly dressing changes, careful covering during showers and provides a pipeline (40 cm of plastic going somewhere inside me) for drugs in and blood out. Except mine isn't working properly right now and only allows drugs in. I will be most pleased when it goes at the last chemo in two weeks. Most pleased indeed.

• lassie11
    edited August 2009

JO   - Irregularities are where the mastectomy was and the seroma still is so the prosthetic needs some encouragement to sit properly.  The PICC line is instead of a port - slightly less invasive surgically - it is just above the inside of the elbow, requires weekly dressing changes, careful covering during showers and provides a pipeline (40 cm of plastic going somewhere inside me) for drugs in and blood out. Except mine isn't working properly right now and only allows drugs in. I will be most pleased when it goes at the last chemo in two weeks. Most pleased indeed.

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited August 2009

Leslie, that sounds awful.  Thank goodness you only have 2 more chemo's to go. YES!

rita, I have everything possible crossed that all is well.  I bet it is just feel it in my bones.

JO, I can't believe you iron a crease in your jeans.  I don't iron anything anymore, if it has a wrinkle I throw it in the dryer and dewrinkle it. LOL

I have never heard of plants being for young or old but I love snapdragons and have a lot of them and I love hydrangea, mine didn't bloom this year either.  I just wonder if it is because of not really having a spring, it got so hot so fast.  Next year I am going to do the  miracle grow and really baby them.

Everyone have a great day.

• Connie07
    Connie07 Member Posts: 446
    edited August 2009

So much catching up to do. Everyone in here sounds either really glad their bc crap is over and so wonderfully willing to support the new ones. So sad to see this thing attacking ladies over 70. that's just messed up. Getting to 56 has been one trial after another, and I wonder, am I learning lessons?

I gathered all the support from you (ya'll) and after an MRI of my entire spine, they said there's nothing that can be repaired surgically and the rest is up to me. So, I considered Chiropractic and that was too harsh and terribly painful after one "gentle" adjustment and the message I got was not the one I needed. So, still 1/2 full of your support, I consulted about Physical Therapy, and we decided that that would be the best way to go, so I went. Then I did the gentle moves they showed me on Friday, over the weekend, and went again today. Even had to beg a ride cause my car's transmission went south this weekend and its at the shop. But my sil gave me a ride there and home. I'm sore, but I did it. And I feel really good about it.

Congrats on the ones who walk, especially outside in the deep south, I feel your heat. And Congrats to those who just joined our ranks, you are in the most awesome place ever. I can't wait until technology can put us all, face-to-face, in a virtual chat room and we can actually hear and see and feel the love that comes from this site. -- didn't I see that at Epcot, like 10 years ago? More Congrats to those finishing treatments, stick in here, the treatment people are gone, and you'll miss them, so keep coming back and read, learn, absorb the goodness. And finally Thank you Jesus, for bringing us together.

~Connie

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2009

Hi Connie07, I'm thrilled that you may have found something that helps in the form of PT.  Hang in there because it may be uncomfortable the first few sessions but that's the way PT works - slowly.  Keep coming around so you can get that feeling of our support back up to 100% - we don't like to see you 1/2 full! 

Blessings.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited August 2009

Morning all

I should be getting myself dressed to get up to the church to open up for playgroup. Now that keeps me feeling young but I must admit I am looking forward to having some younger ones take over. 

I turned 60 this year and had a big party - always said I wouldn't but thought I had so much to celebrate so I did. 

I don't think of hydrangeas as old lady plants, and talking about them it is time to prune them here so must get mine done one of these days. Have one snapdragon flowering rather out of season but in the front garden I have a wonderful show of daffodils. Also have a wonderful display of hyacinths. I must take some photos if it is fine this afternoon. We had a wonderful weekend thought spring was here and then yesterday and today its bleak again but not really cold.

I very seldom iron only when I have to, however most thing do get ironed. DH or my sister who lives with us do the ironing. DH will do it while watching TV, I have never protested about this. 

Am getting a little stressed out about seeing the BS again in two days about this lump on my chest. Its the waiting that is the problem, things are easier to deal with once you know. 

Big hugs to all

Alyson

• ritajean
    edited August 2009

Jo, I buy this product called Holly Tone for my hydrangea.  I got my last batch at Wal-Mart.  I break up the soil around the plant and pour some of this on the soil and then water it well.  This is a type of fertilizer for acid plants so my hydrangea are blue.  I was told to use it both in the spring and the fall and it's suppose to aid with blooming and the blue color.  I'm not sure what you should use if you want pink blooms, but mine has done real well.   Thanks also for the pep talk about the tests.  You are so right.  I go for weeks without any thoughts of bc and then the slightest ache, pain, or the "routine bloodwork" gets me stirred up.  Someday we will probably get used to this!

Oh Leslie, I bet you will be glad to get rid of all the plastic piping!  That sounds darn uncomfortable!

How's the weather in the southern part of the state today, Jackie? It's really gorgeous here.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Rita

• ritajean
    edited August 2009

Alyson, we were posting at the same time, I think.  I really understand your anxiety about seeing the breast surgeon.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, too.  The unknown and the waiting are indeed stressful.  Come here and vent if you need to.  There's a whole group of chatty gals here who will help you get through the waiting!  Sending good vibes your way for a b-9 lump!

• Gramof3
    edited August 2009

Looking for Pam, Aussie Sheila, mzmiller, MAGA

Following the trial - Click image to download.  Could they be sitting by the pool with a nice, tall glass of iced tea?  (Well, except for Sheila who's in the midst of winter)   Take care, Chooks.  Helen

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited August 2009

Jo.  you can make hydrangeas change from pink to blue by burying some aluminium nails in the soil or pot. Something to do with altering the Ph of the soil (acidity) Don't ask me what, I COULD have told you 20 years ago, but now I can't remember. ( HOW many times a day do I say this???)

Also check your fertiliser content. A high nitrogen content in the bag of fertiliser you use will give loads of lush growth....we farmers use a very high nitrogen to grow long, lush grass, but used this way on a lot of garden plants can make them go bananas, throwing out lots of green growth and little, if any, flowers. To get good flowering plants potash is the fertiliser you need.

My hydrangeas are quite mature, about 6' x6', and are both colours. I haven't fertilised now since my dx. 6 years ago, just left them to get on with it (have cut out a lot of things in my garden, and still things go on growing OK) I know I put nails under the plants years ago, and it worked. I think the cat pee does it now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isabella

• illinoislady
    edited August 2009

You gals ....just what a tired person needs as I laugh almost hysterically about the cat pee.  I would love to have something -- anything in my yard but I have to make a box or surround it somehow because no matter what I do Mr. I Don't Have Time to watch out for what you have planted manages to mow them down.  I have given away several plants that managed to survive barely......hmmm, one of these days when we redo the yard....I'll have some treated wood plantar boxes set up again. 

Hope you all have a wonderful evening....my thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Hugs, Jackie

• Gramof3
    edited August 2009

Isabella

Here comes some more fertilizer for your hydrangeas....LOL

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited August 2009

You guys are cracking me up with the cat and cat pee.  I have heard of the nails.  My husband has gone nuts on putting stuff around different plants.  banana peels for one thing, coffee grounds and egg shells for another, all the peelings goes into a compost pile for rich dirt.

Jackie, most of my flower beds has stones or huge rocks or glass around them so they can't get mowed down.  My "old" church we planted 100 pine trees with ribbons on them and whoever mowed mowed them all down after all that work.

We have a pile of sand in our yard for leveling but all of cats think it is a litter box.  biggest litter box ever.

Alyson, hoping your lump is just scar tissue or something simple.

God bless you all. 

• illinoislady
    edited August 2009

Jo.....daisies are one of my all time favorite flowers though I love anything even resembling a flower for the most part.  When I got married a thousand years ago now......I had the standard white dress and carried yellow daisies and the maid of honor had yellow dress and white daisies.  I still think they are so lovely.....they just evoke something in me......I think the simplicity makes them all the prettier for me.

I have also heard about the potash and nails and other things.....and of course compost just insures you will get plenty of worms underneath.  We also treat our yard to a layer of lime powder now and then.  We have so much clay soil here but lots of things do better than you would think.  I have a lot of hostas here but mainly due to so much shade ( not a bad thing in our hot humid summers ). 

Hope you all are doing well. 

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited August 2009

We have a lot of good gardeners in our group!  I used to be an enthusiastic gardener before I took up golf.  What I liked most was designing the beds and planting new plants and shrubs.  Weeding is not my favorite pastime.  Our climate here in south LA is almost tropical.  You can have as many hydrangeas as you'd like.  Just break off a limb and stick it in soil or put it in a glass of water.  Soon you have another hydrangea plant!  They bloom on old growth, I believe, so you have to prune with care.

We don't grow peonies down here, and I think they are so lovely.  I tried hostas some years ago after admiring them in my mil's yard in IL.  But they didn't do well in my yard, and I never see them in other people's yards, so they must not be happy in our growing zone.

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited August 2009

I love hostas, but unfortunately have a massive slug and snail problem, so have to grow plants they don't like.

Just been to the vets. with one of my wire haired sausage dogs. Having had dogs for years I can usually sort out things, but this dog just yelped continually when I picked her up, and I had no idea why. Got her to the vets, and not a peep out of her. Got a young vet. young enough to be my g/daughter, was absolutely useless. I stood watching her floundering 10 mins, and could stand no more, asked for more senior vet. for 2nd opinion. Didn't go down too well ! But...got one of the partners in, and he sorted in 2 mins. Dog has to have op. young vet didn't take temp, didn't check if the dog was hydrated, didn't listen to heart...pretty basic stuff...so I wasn't letting her get into a diagnosis.

Turns out dog has a pyometra, bad infection in uterus, and has to have hysto within the hour. I made proper complaint about young vet, she wasn't fit to be in surgery unsupervised. I then asked them to make a note on my file that I will only see more senior vets when I go. I don't think that went down too well, but if I hadn't complained Miss young vet was going to send me home , and come back in 24 hours to see if there is any change. There would have been a change, the dog would have been dead.

I shall be thinking now of a change of vets. Last year this vet. had a run of Rumanian and Italian vets, who were non too good with their English, and I muttered then! Vet before this one used to charge terrible prices. DH rang him, unknown to me, when a particularly big bill arrived, and told him he was charging more per hour than a footballer earns !! He refused to see my dogs anymore after that ! He was a good vet (apart from his fees !) so the sparks flew between DH and I !! I don't mind spending when it comes to my dogs.

Isabella.

• illinoislady
    edited August 2009

Isabella....good for you.  I am a dyed in the wool animal lover.  Have way too many cats here and 4 dogs of my own.  One foster dog and getting ready to take another one.  That will be six all-together.  It is too many on one property....but what to do.  I am going to have to soon apply for a kennel license......we are being annexed into the city soon and I will fall under the city ordinances for numbers of pets on property.  It is mainly why I still work two days a week....but I having to supplement that as it is not always stretching as much as it should. 

Hope you are all going to have a nice day.

Hugs,