Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited July 2009

I am soooo happy. I discovered a long lost nephew tonight, he contacted me...he will be the only relative who will talk to me now ! I was just bemoaning the fact today that I have 3 brothers, and 1 sister, and non of them speak to me at all now....in fact I don't have any near relatives that talk to me, and only 2 very old ones that don't know who I am anymore.

My 2nd brother upped and left the area, after announcing he was gay. That was some 15 years ago, and no-one knows where he is....he could even be dead. My 3rd brother stole most of my mothers life savings 6 years ago, he took the huff when I got the law onto him, but I couldn't get her cash back !! He promised the lawyer he would pay back 'very shortly' He didn't. I knew he wouldn't.   My 1st brother never rang and asked me anything about bc in 6 years, its just not on his radar, just stopped all contact. My sister jumped ship 6 months ago, after being a brilliant support for me for 6 years. She decided to sell my Aunts house without considering the rest of the family, she is the baby of us all, and had no right to do this. No-one knows where all the cash has gone, when I remonstrated she slammed the phone down, and hasn't been in touch since. In losing all these siblings I lost all nieces and nephews, and 2 little g/nieces, one of whom is very ill and awaiting a heart transplant. I have no way of knowing how she is doing...this is really upsetting me. 

It hit me most this last birthday, NINE cards were just not there, so to have a long lost nephew contact me is like winning the lottery, at long last I will be able to see my own flesh and blood again.

Isabella.

• Motherof7
    Motherof7 Member Posts: 135
    edited July 2009

JO-5

Yes, my church does know and they are praying for me, and I appreciate your prayers also, and I by no means are giving up, I serve a Jesus that can heal anything, even cancer. There is nothing Jesus can't do.

I am praying that everything turns out good at your Dr. appointment, I read where you were not feeling so good, I pray Jesus heals you and gives you peace, hang in there, we do serve an awesome God.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. This is one of my favorite verses in the Bible.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited July 2009

Goodnight all

Checking in before I go to bed. My thoughts and prayers will be with you all. I am sorry if anyone is offended but that doesn't worry me. Friends of all faiths have supported me.I often wake in the night so I think about my friends around the world.

Tomorrow is Friday and so I will have my little Bea for the day whilst her mother teaches at the university. She is now nine months old and a great joy. She has said her first word -cat, its really clear. So I hope it is fine so that we can go for a long walk which her Gran needs.

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Alyson

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited July 2009

I have been away from the Boards for a while - in the hospital and rehab (actually since June 23).  I am so sorry to hear all the troubles you all are experiencing.  It breaks my heart.  You are all such awesome, inspiring women - its just not fair.

Gramof3 -- good for you!  Sometimes you just have to put your foot down!

Isabella -- my goodness - you have certainly had your share of troubles - actually much more than your share.  My heart goes out to you.  I am so glad you found your nephew.  You know you have plenty of friends here who will support you.  Big, big hugs.

Jo - You are so creative and so warm and charming and thoughtful and kind and well loved.  I just pray you start to improve and feel better soon. 

Motherof7 - Stay strong in your belief in the Lord.  He will sustain you.  I pray all goes well for you and that all this stuff is something b-9.

Its good to be back with my cyber sisters.  I missed you all so much.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,265
    edited July 2009

Kathleen...So glad to see you again.  I second everything you have said at least three times.  What was the re-hab for if I might ask.  Anyway glad you are apparently back home and ready to take up where you left off. 

Must get ready for work.  Your all in my thoughts and prayers.

Jackie

• Motherof7
    edited July 2009

kmccraw423

So sorry to hear you were in the hospital, I pray the Lord is blessing you and I pray you will be completely healed. I will be praying for you.

Thanks for your kind words, and I will stay strong in my faith. The devil seems to be on the warpath right now, but Jesus is so much more powerful than the devil, and I have Jesus on my side, so I just smile and go on my way, I know that there is an appointed time for each one of us to die, but I also know Jesus can do outstanding miracles, and I totally believe in Jesus.

Have a great and blessed day, and you also hold onto your faith.

• Motherof7
    edited July 2009

Ladies

I just had a port put in this morning, and believe me I am not one to complain,but my neck is stiff on the left side where the port was put in, and it feels sort of numb, is this normal?

JO-5

You are an awesome friend, everyone on this thread loves you, I am glad you can read between the lines, I will not give up! God is my help, and whatever is in store for me, I am ready for it, because with the help of my Lord and Jesus I can handle whatever it is. Hope you are feeling better, Just hang onto Jesus and He will get you through whatever comes your way. How is your dad doing, I also pray for him each day.

To all you wonderful ladies

Whatever you're going through, remember that Jesus can help you when no one else can. I am so happy that I have the cancer Dr. that I have, because he tells me there is only so much he can do and the rest in in Jesus's hand, thank God for a Dr. with that kind of attitude.

• Motherof7
    edited July 2009

Well ladies

I guess we are going to to ready and go back to the lake, and yes, I know I have to take it easy for a few days. Hubby will see to that. Thank God for him, he says I am stubborn and he has to watch my every move, I don't mean to be stubborn, I just think I am suppose to do my part of the job also. I will be praying for all of you. We will be back next week, I will try and catch up if possible. God Bless You All!

• kmccraw423
    edited July 2009

Jackie - my diabetic foot ulcer got much worse and I developed MRSA which requires 4-6 weeks of IV antibiotics; hence, a rehab center.  At the same time my shoulder replacement surgery needs to be followed up with lots of therapy which I got both in the hospital and in the rehab center.

Everyone:  The more I read the Boards the more humble I become.  I may have had my troubles but a lot of you are stronger than I could ever be.  God Bless You.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Kathleen.....thanks for letting me know that.  I'm not so sure about my strength at all.  Guess I know it's there but often I myself feel like a bit of a piker when I read about you other ladies.  My sugar numbers are up a bit......and I do worry a bit about that.  Having said that my Dr. did tell me that the Insurance company lowered those numbers recently.....meaning more testing and l more diagnosed people.  So....he was not concerned.  I think I am fortunate to have a Dr. who will admit that virtually nothing much has changed except for **stimulating** the numbers.  Anyway, glad you are back and able to spend time here with us. 

Hope you all have a wonderful day and know please that I think of you, even if I am not mentioning you right now.

Hugs,

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited July 2009

Jo, I welcome your prayers.  I'm on quite a few prayer lists at churches, and I'm sure all those prayers have aided in my doing well so far, as I recover from my bilat surgery.  Recovery is more difficult because I chose to have the immediate reconstruction at the same time.  I'd rather avoid a second surgery.  Even though I'm 66, I didn't want to be disfigured.  With that said, I respect the decisions of women not to have reconstruction.  It's all up to the individual woman.

My husband and I just returned from an apptment with the nurse practitioner.  Everything looks good at this point.  Since my primary ins. is Medicare, the tumor sample for the oncotype testing won't be sent off until I'm out of the hospital 14 days.  So it will be a month or more before I get the results and learn whether I'll have to take chemo.  I'm praying for a low number.  Then I would skip chemo and start Arimidex.

On Mon. I may get the drains removed.  Boy will I be glad to get rid of them. 

Today is the funeral of my Aunt Augusta, who finally lost her long battle with BC.  She fought a brave fight.  I'll miss her.  My husband is representing me at the funeral service.  I'll finish reading a Mary Higgins Clark novel and watch some golf on tv.  Hope everyone has a peaceful day. 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited July 2009

Carolehalston - so sorry for the loss of your Aunt.  Condolences and prayers for  the family.  Prayers also going out for  you to have an uneventful recovery from your surgery.

JO - don't you even go there - we love you!!

• Connie07
    Connie07 Member Posts: 446
    edited July 2009

Hey Ladies,

BIG HUGS to alll who need one.

Carole -- I had a great Aunt Augusta, Gussie we called her, she lived to be 100 and was feisty all the time. Miss her, sorry for your loss. funerals suck.

Got my MRI results today. Spine. It's all cracked up and bent and there's not really any surgical remedies. He suggested PT, I know some of you do that... so, I'm in Savannah, how do I find an educated therapist that will work with me, not treat me like a recovering athlete and assist on the amount of co-pay per visit?? I can't pay $25 x 3 times a week, I wouldn't be able to afford my meds. HEALTH CARE SUCKS.

Sessna - the work and time you spend caring for your father is ADMIRABLE and I applaude every gesture you make on his behalf.

MaryK - I raised 3 kids, borne within 6 years of each other, and I applaude you for having the guts to take them all for shots on the same day. I did that regularly, its easier to deal with the three of them down at the same time than to stretch it out for days or weeks having to deal with two healthy ones and one down one. May the force be with you.

Families are the wierdest combo of people. All families are weird or have weirdness in them. It's what keeps things LIVELY.  I'm loving that country song that refrains; "God is great. Beer is good and people are CRAZY!"

...and Kona... some people are just downright dummies. ask 'em to take you to chemo, see how they run. Then you'll know who your real friends are.

~Connie

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited July 2009

Connie, today is a day that I really need a hug and JO, I really need a prayer not for any health issues unless it is of the mind.  I am just feeling so down and depressed today and am hopeing it gets better soon, don't have time to be depressed.

Connie, my own mother wouldn't even take me to chemo, my husband did and when he was working my aunt did (and she is older that my mom)

Isabella, I feel so bad for you and glad you found one relative to relate to.

Usually I have grandkids on the weekends but it looks like this weekend I won't so am going to pig out on crab legs tonight.

Hi, Patoo, are you ready for the next book yet?  Did you enjoy that one?

Hugs and Prayers to all of you whether you need it or not.

• noni1
    noni1 Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2009

Hello Everyone,

Hope that you are all having a great day.  I know I am.  I picked my grandson and daughter up at the airport this am and they are here until next Friday. 

Motherof7--- I think that the soreness in your neck will go away as you heal.  But just take it easy.  Do not lift anything, that is important.  I got mine out in April,  it was sore after also.  But it was the last step and it becomes a part of you, so you have mixed feelings when it comes out.  It is like a security blanket.  Have a great week at the lake.

Everyone, my thoughts and prayers are with you.  Talk again soon.

Cindy 

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited July 2009

Well its Saturday morning here. Wish you could send us some of your summer but that will come. I noticed the magnolia was beginning to flower so spring is coming.

Had a lovely day with my little granddaughter yesterday. At 9 months she is such a little sweety. Will try to get some pictures sorted. she can say 'cat' which is fun and yesterday it was 'up' . I am looking after her each Friday while her Mummy teaches at the University, Nana has her another day and we have her Sunday afternoons when DD is singing in the Cathedral choir.

Have a great weekend everyone. DH and I are going to go and spent some gift vouchers we were given for our birthdays.

Hugs

• Isabella4
    edited July 2009

I am so fed up of rain, rain, rain.

My garden loves it, but I don't. I'm not a sun person, but just a little peek from behind a black cloud now and then would be nice. I cannot keep on finding inside jobs !! I am up to date with everything, apart from ironing, which I never ever will catch up with. I have a monster pile. I just keep on ignoring it !!

I even had to put the heating on these last 3 evenings.....my dogs looked miserable. Well, that was my excuse for switching on ! Off to snuggle up in bed now in an old cardi....and its August tomorrow !!

Isabella.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Jo I think everyone loves to see your name and the little avatar doll come on when they come to the BC. Org here.  I know I do....it always a treat and it often is like sitting across the table from you.  You are caring, kind, and sensible and not afraid to be your Christian self. 

Carole....hope you do get those drains gone soon.  I did not have anything like that but listening to others that seemed to be almost the worst part....and trying to work around them to do anything.  Your right to I think in that while it has a set of drawbacks I'm sure, doing everything now rather than prolonging through a second surgery does seem a good way.  Hope you can skip the chemo part of this journey....that would be nice.  I too am sorry about your Aunt.  It is always hard to lose people but when they are really ill I sometimes soothe myself with the idea that they most certainly earned the "peace that passes understanding" and I need to be grateful for what beauty I shared with them in this life.

Spar 2.....it's easy I think to lose footing when you are trying to get through the myriad ups and downs you can have with this disease.  There were some tx days/weeks for me that made me feel that I'd never have anything to look forward to again...just one long round of trying to hold out till I could overcome.  If it gets up I hope you will ask your Dr. for something.  I did not use anything but many people I think get a little something to help them get over the hump.  This is like having PTSD like the returning soldiers. 

Connie....guess one of the reasons we all came here is the varied reactions you could get from family and friends. Who knows why....one of my theories was that they didn't know what to say or how to help because they were secretly so thrilled it was you and not them. It's ok though....maybe in the end it is a good time to learn to appreciate who cares so you can give them the attention ( when you are well on the mend ) they deserve and know who may need to be put on a more casual list from here on out.   

Cindy....glad your hanging in there and getting ready for some fun with the grand little ones.  That is always a treat.

Alyson and Isabella....I would package up a bit bunch of our southern Illinois warmth and send it along if I could.  We are having plenty right now.  August is usually our hottest, driest month and by then I'm praying for the cooler weather of fall even though with over an acre here it's lots of leaf cleaning. 

Hope you all have a wonderful week-end.

Jackie

• kmccraw423
    edited August 2009

Jo:  I found this on the Internet and couldn't resist!

good morning

I hope you have a wonderful day!

• kmccraw423
    edited August 2009

For all my other sisters:

good morning you sexy thang coffee

• illinoislady
    edited August 2009

Kathleen....what fun to find.  I say a huge thanks.

Hugs.

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009

Last night was my 2nd night since the bilat surgery a week ago to have a good night's sleep.  What a blessing to sleep soundly and manage to get up and go to the bathroom a couple of times and go back to sleep.  I've been sleeping propped up on a wedge and pillows because it makes getting up less of a strain. 

Kathleen, thanks for the smile!

It's sunny, hot and humid outside here in south Louisiana, but that's what summer weather is like.  Before the day is over, we'll probably have a thunderstorm or two.  Inside the house, it's cool and comfortable, thanks to the A/C.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday. 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2009

Spar dear, thought I posted or PM'd you.  The book was great - I really, really enjoyed it.  Thanks.  I'll ask on the 'book' thread for the next person who may want it.

JO, did you ease off the Arimidex, like go from 7 to 5 to 3 a week or something like that or just stop taking it cold?  I wonder if we (I still have 4-1/2 years) need to wean off.

Hi all.  Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Blessings.

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited August 2009

JO, you and I both cold turky'd off of arimidex and I really have not felt well since and would be very interested in what your tests shows.  The joint pain is some better but I feel so tired and sleepy all the time now.  I am just not functioning.  Have not been doing much crafts am just too tired.  I kind of hope the adrenal glands start putting out a little bit of estrogen to kind of get our bodies going again.  I seem to be faceing depression which is very unusual for me.  Am usually full of joy.

Patoo, glad you enjoyed the book, when I get up some energy I will send you the next one.

Kathleen, got a huge smile out of that picture.

Carol glad you got a good nights sleep, It seemed like months back after the mastectomy and chemo that I was able to sleep.

Jackie, you are so right with the ups and downs.  I have finished all treatment but still don't feel well.  At least I am at a place that not every single pain is cancer.  Do have arthritis and diabetes and maybe that is why I feel bad and down.  A person just gets tired of it all sometimes.

Praying for all my sisters, lots of love and hugs being sent to everyone.

dp9xz6.gif GROUP HUG image by ressiej

• illinoislady
    edited August 2009

You know friends....after all the talk ( didn't mind it at all by the way ) that we had going about Arimidex I don't recall anyone specifically talking about "weaning" alway from it.  As well from Jo and Spar's descriptions I almost think maybe it should be a looong weaning too.  I have been happy that we er/pr people had something we could do, but I'm wondering if anyone has bothered to do much investigating  ( so often it seems you could be encouraged to keep taking these pillls ) as to the results of being cold turkey.  This is something I hope you feel up to sharing Jo after your Dr.s  visit.  Now I am concerned a bit about how things will go.....in four years for me and many others who still have lots of time on the meter for Arimidex. 

Spar...and Jo as well, just listening to how you worded things gave me such a sense of deep disappointment for you both......you come all this way through all the fears, upset, chemo reactions as well as radiation to handle and effects from that.....and yet....cannot completely enjoy the NED freedom which I know you both ( and anyone like you ) so richly deserve.  I hope  there is an answer because while I think all of are forever changed just by having this journey we have had, I really think there has to be something a bit more positive.

Sort of makes ( I know, horrors ) you wonder about going back on long enough to wean away but at this point that may be a drastic solution and who knows it it would work or not. 

Well, know I am thinking about all of you......and feeling someone out there must have an answer for this. 

Hugs to all.

Jackie

• Isabella4
    edited August 2009

I have been on Arimidex 5 years 10 months.

I wanted to keep on with it. I dare not not take it. I have had an awful time. I am sick of moaning about how ill I feel, and I'm sure as hell everyone around me is sick of me. I just dread opening my mouth to mention how rough I feel, and don't want to do anything more than I need to. I have got very selfish, I know it, but only because I know my limitations. 

I work about 4/5 hours a day, 7 days a week, then I feel like death warmed up. I get accused of just pleasing myself, and not considering others, when in reality its because I feel so horrible that all I want to do, when my work is done, is have a shower, get in my jammies, and either go potter in the garden, or on my pc, and not get involved in whatevers going on.

I was told that the effect of Arimidex is gone from your body in 3 days, so, who is right ???? If I thought the lasting effects might be years (which I doubt!) I might consider coming slowly off it.

I was still on HRT when dx'd and came off it cold turkey, and never noticed a thing, probably didn't notice because I was so shocked and had many more things to think of !!

Isabella.

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited August 2009

My thought powers keep waxing and waning!

Yesterday I astonished myself by figuring out what to do to finish setting up a tent at a fund raising barbeque when two men couldn't. I thought my engineer brother would be proud of me.

However. I've been working on a quilt for my new granddaughter who will arrive in September. This is about the 6th time I have made some variation of this all machine stitched pattern. Never have I had to unstitch and redo parts of it as often. Right now it is downstairs on the dining room table waiting for my problem solving skills to return so that I can finish it.

Tuesday is the 5th of 6 chemo treatments. Anyone else having similar things happen? It sure is a good thing I am not trying to work at anything that requires my wits full time!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited August 2009

One of the best parts of being retired is that we can take

the time to stop and smell the roses

I did this morning on the way to the grocery store

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009

SoCalLisa, thanks for sharing!  Did you take those pictures yourself?  If so, what a lovely route to the grocery store.

• weesa
    weesa Member Posts: 78
    edited August 2009

Northstar, I am 66 years old. I discovered my lump in the shower (how prosaic) the day before my 60th birthday in 2002. I am stage 3a with oncotypedx of 18. I've had mastectomy, rads, dd chemo (which probably didn't work since I am highly hormone receptive.) Have struggled with AI's for a long time and have recently stopped; all se's have evaporated like magic.Tried all 3 AI's and finally settled on Femara which seemed to be the least worst for me. Had about 15 things everyday I did to keep SE's in control. I feel great, still work fulltime, still NED. Most of the breast cancer survivors I know around here are younger, so I was happy to see your post. so was happy to see your post. Stay in touch!