Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited January 2014

Barb u sound like u live in a bigger home and those stairs are steep, I don't blame u, it's nice that he doesn't mind doing that too. some husbands aren't a lot of help, and some are great so u got a good one.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited January 2014

Morning you guys!  Don't go....!  I've just been reading posts, like forEVER!

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2014

I do our stairs...  We live in our little Victorian... and you have to call a Priest to go down those steps!  I mean they are narrow, but we carpeted them, so when we fall down them, it doesn't hurt as much!

• camillegal
    edited January 2014

Good Morning Chevy are these u'r words of wisdom this morning.

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2014

Geez!  You take forEVER!  and YES....  so far...Ha!  Are we working this morning?

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2014

You have to crawl up, like on all fours.... if you have something in your hands to take up, it goes up a step at a time....  Come on girls, improvise!  

And when you come down, you just come down one step at a time, holding on to dear-life to both walls....  If you are bringing something DOWN, just throw it down first, then carefully try and bend over and get it before you fall over it.

Okay!  Obviously Cammi, you and Barbarella went to bed.... Fine!

I'll talk about collecting things...  The first things my Brother and I ever collected were caterpillars!  I mean we had them in big jars with lids and we punched holes in them!   (the lids)  Shelves of caterpillar jars, all in the shed.  We fed them leaves, etc. and even had a cap for water in there. 

Our Mom finally said enough was enough, and we freed them all...  So that's where all your Monarchs come from today!  Me and my Brother! 

• camillegal
    edited January 2014

Chevy I figured u and u'r started something I would never guessed it was the monarchs, besides I collected lightening bugs so at tie I had a nite light--that's where that whole concept came from.

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2014

I also collect things to make "hangings".... This one has been revised, and I've added lights and a few other things...

I've collected  shells, from all my worldly travels to Florida!  And if that isn't enough shells, I even BUY them!   I'll try and send a picture of some of those... 

Oh wait!  Once when we went to Texas, we DID catch Lightning bugs, and put them in jars....  Oh man, I hope we let them go before they .......  before their fire went out!

• camillegal
    edited January 2014

Chevy that's so pretty,

But I bet u killed those light ning bugs--ta ta ta--that's that sound people make when they are saying ta ta ta

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2014

The shell hanging...  Even a little crystal salt shaker, that is rather obviously displayed.

Okay, guess that's enough for the arts and crafts stuff.

NO, WE DID NOT KILL ANYTHING!  Oh sob!  Nope...  I never would!  I mean I still take Spiders outdoors!  I can't kill them!  And if I bring a Lady-bug into the house on one of the house-plants, it gets to Winter-over!  So THERE!

• camillegal
    edited January 2014

OOOOO u have such patience and such pretty shells, OK where did u get the salt shaker, and u are kind-I see a spider and I squish it right away, if I don't my cat will get it and torture it. So I'm in a ways helping that spider.

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2014

Kaara, you are on the last page, and I have to explain...  It's if you have a "certain gene" that the probablility of Tamoxifen causing a stroke is larger...  So it's like a series of events that have to happen.  But it IS on the warning label, about possible strokes.   

Then it depends on where the "infarction" happens, is what determines if you will have lasting side effects....Geez!  I almost sound like I know what I am talking about.

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2014

You KILL a spider!  Girl, I have to teach you some manners!  Don't you know that spiders are your friend?  They kill even worse bugs!   I suppose you even go after those little ones that hang from the ceiling?  Just get out of the road....! 

The salt shaker also had a mate... It was a Pepper shaker!  Imagine that!  But it wasn't glued together... So it is still in use... 

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2014

Cammi!  I have to go!  sniff........  DH just got up!  So I can't play anymore.... I have to go in!   I'll talk to you later....  Have fun today!  xoxoxo

• camillegal
    edited January 2014

I know what spiders do, but not in the house, they shouldn't come in let them work outside where they need to do their jobs. Besides Oh Great Miss Manners--we usually  have our goofy conversations on another thread do u have to take it all over the place???? Now everyone knows how silly u are not me, but I have to deal with this everyday.

• Mgster
    Mgster Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2014

Wren44...yes, Netflix has both old and new movies.  I would recommend anything starring Barbara Stanwyk!  You can't go wrong with her movies.  Or Rosalind Russell.   We have cable, but just basic.  And we belong to Netflix.  My husband is a big, big movie fan.  

mommarch...it's sounding good for your granddaughter.  I hope it keeps going that way.  

Got a lot accomplished.  Christmas is officially over when my Christmas china goes back into the basement closet.  I must have made 12 trips up and down the stairs...would have been more if my husband didn't bring the blue & white china up for me.  We were passing each other with arms full and managed not to even chip a cup!  LOL

• Barbarella60
    Barbarella60 Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2014

Good Afternoon . . . .  I feel like I just woke up, missed a day and now I have to take notes to catch up.  But I've been up since 8 so I guess the day just got ahead of me. Ha!  Chevyboy I do crawl up the stairs from the basement & 2nd floor! And  I just have to watch who's behind me when I do!  Ie: repair men.  I know I've lost all dignity somewhere along the way. There have been chuckles at the sight, BooHooHoo! but you gotta do what you gotta do.  No Cammi it is a very small farm house.  The laundry is in the basement and people who look down actually don't want to go down them. I do but they are darn dangerous. Throw the laundry down. Carry the laundry up?  You gotta be kidding!

Chevyboy you are so talented!  They are just gorgeous.  I have a shell hanging made by a friend, very similar to yours. The hanging shells were attached to a piece of driftwood from the ocean. Cammi you can come over anytime and help me wipe out my box elder bug collection. They come in through any small opening all year long. My spiders don't help me out at all, and neither does the Puddy-Tat. 

I saw the most beautiful sight when driving home from Montgomery Al. through Indiana. It was flat for miles along the freeway and that night the fields were covered with Fire Fly's. or Lightening Bugs. There were waves of blinking lights, that we had to pull over and gaze.  I have never seen so many.  Up here we may see a few each summer but not like when we were kids and chased them. 

A few good classic movies to watch are "You Can't Take It With You", "The Shop Around The Corner", "Ninotchka", "Topper", "My Man Godfrey", The "Thin Man" series, and of course everyone of the "Hitchcock" movies.  Wren44 I hope you try some of these. I really love "You can't take it with you". I just have to watch it periodically to remember what's important.  

Have a good day,  

Barbarella

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2014

Barbarella, you know, the firefly story reminds me of when me and my boyfriend...  (DH) were out in the Toolies, making out... We were about 18 or so...Well, it was pitch black, and we saw LOTS of little fireflys outside of the car!  It was just magical I thought!    Have never seen them again since!  But I think it was very unusual to see them in this climate!    Maybe it was the fire-works I saw, and not the bugs..... Loopy  JUST kidding!  That was funny!  This was in 1955... We got married almost 2 years later...

You gals all know that Cammi and I are best of friends, right?  We are never serious with other...  and we just like to tease all the time.... It all started one time, when she was completely ignoring her spelling!  Or I mean lack of....  It was just so funny the way she spelled things!  It made me laugh!  And after awhile, she just does it to make it funny I think!  If she spelled words right, I would swear she was posessed!     I even asked her if she saw wavy red lines, and what did she think they were for...  But of course,  the spelling has not improved, and I hope it never does, otherwise I would not know it was her...   and I would be sad. .....

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,709
    edited January 2014

When you're helping, from your limited vantage point, appreciate that person's
    struggles and suffering yet also respect their privacy and boundaries.  Ascertain
    with delicacy and care the extent to which your friend may wish to open up and
    talk.  Don't take responsibility for solving that friend's life; just be there.  Let
    any feelings of compassion and selflessness come naturally.  Watch your feelings
    so that, if you feel superior or prideful, you can shush your mind and tell it that it
    should feel grateful for the opportunity to serve.  For, in serving by doing what you
    can to alleviate suffering, you are transcending boundaries and glorifying the One
    Power in us all.  As you give your life to others, compassion grows; and as
    compassion grows, you become worthier to receive grace.  Grace is what enables
    you to grow in you divinity and what helps you gain your true life.

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited January 2014

I signed up for a free Netflix trial in December because I was looking for a specific old 80's show from Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories, season 2. I could find season 1 on my Amazon Prime Instant Video service, but not season 2. Netflix had it, so I went for the free trial. You can get just the instant watch portion for $4.99 a month. It has lots and lots of old movies and some newish ones too plus lots of old television series. If you want the DVD service where they send you new movies, it's another $7.99 a month. I got that because I wanted to see a couple of the new movies, but really didn't find much to order after those few movies, so I cancelled that portion and it didn't cost me a penny. I still have the instant watch/streaming portion and will keep it until I don't see anything I'm interested in that I can't already find on Amazon Prime 's similar service. It's worth the $4.99 for another month I think.

There are a few shows I like on TV but we cancelled HBO and Showtime after I retired last year. Just couldn't afford it anymore and I almost never watched any of their movies. The only shows I desperately miss from those channels are Homeland and The Newsroom but they'll be out on video soon. After the news in the morning, I turn off the TV. At night I sometimes watch HGTV or some of the cooking shows like Top Chef but most often it's TCM (Turner Classic Movies). I love, love, love the old black and white movies from the 30's and 40's especially. I do have some guilty pleasures...CBS Sunday Morning, Rachel Maddow, Project Runway, and Castle.  Most nights it's turned off, especially if TCM is showing war movies.

We got out of the habit of watching TV when we lived in Germany for 5 years in the 80's. Never did pay much attention to it when we got back. Same with the telephone. Can't remember when I used the one at home, and I only use my cell to speak to my family once in a while when I have a question. I'm just not a talker anymore. Not a text-er either. I read and spend time on this forum. Pretty boring, but I'm content.

• SallyS70
    SallyS70 Member Posts: 816
    edited January 2014

Sandra, I am a Castle fan too.  I also like Rizzoli and Isles and Bones. 

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,709
    edited January 2014

Just checking in to say good evening.  I played today.  Went to the city with my cousin and then to The Red Lobster for lunch.  Then on to Garden Ridge.  I had not been there in so long and probably won't bother to go back.  it just was not the same with the changes.  There are many other stores that suit me more....like T.J. Maxx, Gordano's, Bed and Bath, and Burlington's. 

Had a great day with lots of sun and warm temps again.  I think tomorrow may bring some rain or flurries.  Some good things ( this time of yr. anyway ) don't last long enough.

I hope you all had a wonderful day.

Blessings,

Jackie

• Barbarella60
    Barbarella60 Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2014

I have to agree with you Sandra4611, I love the old black & white movies.  If they have colorized the movie I won't watch it.  If it was made in black & white then it should be watched in black & white! I also am in love with the late 30's & 40's.  I can be transported to another time where life seems just so much more civilized and a carefree simpler way life.  Where your not treated like cattle, waiting in lines to be searched at an airport.  I know it's just a movie, it's fiction.  But how can they not be somewhat true to their time?  They have to be, because that's when they were made.  Do you know what I mean? 

Later . . .

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited January 2014

Remember when people dressed for plane trips as tho they were going to church? They don't even dress that way for church anymore. Of course airlines have made flying so unpleasant, they deserve people wearing yoga clothes.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,294
    edited January 2014

Wren - I remember wearing a girdle, nylons, hat & gloves to fly back in the day.  And we also got good meals.  Of course the tickets cost an arm & a leg too.  So much for de-regulation.

What's the movie when the couple is supposed to meet under the a clock?  An Affair to Remember was at the top of the Empire state building after 6 months, but I don't remember which one was w/a hanging clock or clock tower.

• SallyS70
    edited January 2014

i remember dressing up to go on a plane.  In those days the seats in economy were two on each side of the aisle.  I remember wearing white gloves when I went shopping in downtown Pittiburgh.  

• SallyS70
    edited January 2014

Minus Two, I was told I had to wear a girdle to student teach. 

• minustwo
    edited January 2014

Well for sure women didn't wear pants anywhere & most women I knew didn't even own a pair.  Katherine Hepburn was sort of shocking.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited January 2014

When I was a kid, we'd go into Oklahoma City to shop at the big stores. I would wear a dress with wool pants underneath. Then the wool pants made my legs break out, so I wore knee length knickers under the pants. I must have looked like a tub of lard. Still can't wear wool.

My Dad and I had a game we'd play downtown. He would look up at the sky and point. I would look up and point too. The game was to see how many other people we could get to look up. Some days we did pretty well.

• minustwo
    edited January 2014

Wren - we must have some kind of tie.  I loved to go to big cities back east (like NYC) and just walk down the street smiling or chuckling.  You got the weirdest looks.