Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited September 2009

Morning all.

Typical spring morning here, two minutes ago it was raining very hard and now the sun is shining. I am still thinking about going for a walk. I used to walk evrey day and had lost a lot of weight but haven't really for the last while so must get back to it.

Yes the playgroup is great, still small, yesterday ten Mums and their little ones, including my little granddaughter Bea. We had such a lovely time. Some of the mothers are quite lonely and have few friends, its as much for them as for the children.

Anne, Nelson is my home town. I do hope you get there. Try to go in our summer but it is still beautiful in winter. I went to university in Wellington and we lived in Lower Hutt when the girls were little.I still love both places.

We are planning a trip next year to the US, UK and Europe ( Frnace and Spain this time)

I have full bloods done at least every 6 months and all the doctors get the results including my GP.

Jo, don't go away from the board but stay off those other sites. I find its great to be able to say how I am feeling about things. Sometimes I think there must be something wrong with me as I have not 'recovered' as well as other people. Then I see others having problems as well so realise that it is normal. I also tend to disregard the fact that I have other health issues as well which are not helping.

I had better get a move on as I have to fix up the stuff the editor sent back yesterday covered in questions.

Bigs Hugs

Alyson

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2009

JO I'm glad you didn't go away for a while...I haven't been posting much lately--absolutely more tired than I ever remember being--but I do read the posts on this thread and the Feb. Fury thread regularly.  You and the Chooks are an inspiration to me.  When I see that you and Jackie and Rita are several years "out," it gives me hope that I can come through this, too.  So, thanks for hanging around with us.

Chooks, I finished my 5th rad today--my goal is to be able to get on the table and hit the correct position early on, rather than trying to wiggle up or down (with the tech's help) , or to the side--which is hard to do with my hands in clamps, feet taped together.  One good thing--I've asked for them to put a towel on the head rest and that prevents the suction cup effect!  Only 31 more rads to go...yea!  Take care.  Helen

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited September 2009

Head in clamps.  Feet taped together?  Sounds like a torture session!  One reason I opted for BMX was to avoid rads.  For some reason, I really didn't like the idea of being radiated, but a lot of women get through it as a part of tx.

I hate to rush time at this stage of life when I'm "playing the back nine" as it is, but the idea of being several years "out" really sounds nice.  I had my revision procedure on the left incision today and apparently it went well.  I wasn't conscious at the time.  We arrived at the surgery center at 7:30 and were home by 11:30.  The actual surgery took about 30 min.  Now I have a bandage and tape on the left breast.  Just thinking about removing that tape makes me think "ouch!"  I go to see the PS on Fri. 

Ritajean, I'm glad your back is better.  Are you playing golf?   I fear that my resuming play has been delayed a week or so by today's surgical procedure.  Maybe not.

Today the nurse in Recovery said that she has a 41-yr-old friend just diagnosed with bc.  The friend's insurance will pay for only two options:  lumpectomy or bilateral mx.  Isn't that odd that unilateral mx isn't an option?  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Time for a few hands of Spider Solitaire before I head to bed.  It wasn't fun having to get up at 6:15 this morning.  Tomorrow morning I can stay in bed until I'm ready to get up.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited September 2009

"hands in clamps... feet taped together"  Huh?  Were they afraid of escape!  They just lowered the table for me, I laid back and scooted up to position my head on the pads and that was that.  They had a towel under me on the table and if I needed to go a little left or right they told me not to move and they just pulled the towel a smidgen.  Then they raised the table up to the machine and zapped about 2 1/2 minutes and done.  Why the clamps and tape - anyone else have that?  Just wondering.

But counting down with you Helen - you can do it!

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2009

carolehalston:

YES, it was New River!  Someone asked me if I'd do the Gauley and my answer is DEFINITELY NOT!  I did good to do New River.... And it's funny you mentioned it---- my daughter asked me why my eyes were closed in the pictures. She asked if I closed them at the beginning and kept them closed till it was over. lol  It was because on the first rapid, my right contact folded up in my eye... I got it straightened out and each rapid after that, I  closed my eyes when the water came at us!  IF I ever do it again, I'll not wear them.... But, yes it was fun, scary, great and awful!  We had a ball!

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2009

Jo: & Gram3:

Yes, just a couple months ago, I was in pretty bad shape... I've tried to put the bc out of mind (altho that's a hard thing to do) for a while. I haven't been ready to go for my revision yet, altho everyone else that had their surgery when I did has had theirs done already.. Today, I've tried to get thru to the PS scheduling to get mine done.  I think I needed this time to just 'rest' and try to be 'normal' for a while.. Now, I'm ready....one more hurdle.. revision won't be as bad as the original surgery..then, I'll be ready for for my nipples and tatooing!!

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2009

Mikita--I don't think I could have handled your adventure!  The first time I went on a float trip (on a slow river at that), my ex said I tried to "climb a tree in a canoe."  I got us caught up in some tree roots and upended the canoe, dumping everything in the river--including him...hee, hee.

Yes--hands in clamps and my feet taped together!  My arms are extended (about 45 degrees from my body), wrists go in manacles (I don't know what else to call them--kind of like hand cuffs, but my wrists are not together).  As soon as they get them placed, my nose itches or my eyes begin to twitch...never fails.  The main problem is that I have a bone spur in my left shoulder, and extending my arm like that is really hurting the joint.  I asked if they could move my arm a bit to relieve some of the pressure, and the answer was, "No--we'll just make this quick."  The tape surprised me...I didn't realize the tech had done that until I tried to move my right foot and the left one moved with it!  When I said, "I can't seem to move my foot, he laughed and said, 'That's the idea.'"  Anyway, it's all done so that you cannot move and mess up the radiation target.  The treatment itself takes a total of about 40 seconds--that's counting it out to myself)--it's getting in place that takes much longer.  I had decided either way (lump or mx) that I would have radiation...ah, the joys of being a Trip. Neg!! 

Carole--it is strange that insurance wouldn't pay for a uni-mast. for that woman.  I've read about ins. covering Neulasta if it's given at home rather than at the hosp.  That seems odd, too.  Oh well...

Patoo, thanks for the countdown.  It will be great to get down to 0!   Did you have boosts? Looks like my last week will be boosts--hopefully by then I can get my body in the right spot without tech support.  

Take care, Chooks...have a good day tomorrow.  Helen

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited September 2009

Gosh Helen that sound so odd. Yes I had to have my hands back but I held on to a bar above and behind behind my head, it was difficult but they helped get me into position. Had a cushion under my knees and liked Patoo was moved on the towel. But remember each one is one less.

Must stop procrastinating and get some more work done.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,265
    edited September 2009

Good morning everyone.  I too thought wow Helen --- they don't want you to get away.  My rads were much like Alyson's.  I had a sheet under me that the techs moved if I wasn't in the right position and the cushion under my knees.  I was always very quiet and careful not to move and basically it all went fast.....it did take longer to position than anything.  My 6 weeks of rads did turn into 7 so the final week was all boosts which is targeted right at the scar area and no where else.  I did get a bit of a burn then but was not bad enough to bother me too much and extra lotions did the trick.

It has been a little over a year now since I finished my rads and it has been a wonderful year.  I am still working on projects that were started right before my diagnosis Sept 27, 2007.  Though I wish some of the projects were done already....I am peaceful for the most part about it.  I seem to be able to take some of the **not done yet** things in stride better than I once could knowing that it WILL happen but no point in stressing if I miss some target dates.  We are quite close now and have been given the go-ahead to start bringing truck-loads of things to the local auction house for storage until the auction.  That will make such a difference around here for me.  It has been difficult....with so much sitting and waiting for the go-ahead to move it all.  There are also a few areas that I have not even bothered to get into knowing that I had so little room for it once removed from those places.  It will be a big relief.

Hope you all will be having a fantastic day.  Talk to you again soon.

Hugs to all,

Jackie

• noni1
    noni1 Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2009

Hi Anne,

I had  IDC stage 3b, 5.9 cm mass with lymph node involvement,  I did so well with chemo, 13 weeks of Taxol,  4 treatments of Adriamycin every 21 days,  that when I had my  CT before surgery they could not even find where my mass was in my breast if it were not for the markers they put in my breast.  I was lucky,  my oncologist and breast surgeon said they never recommend lumpectomies w/ lymph node dissection, but I was a great candidate.  I went for it.  I knew going in if my margins came back invaded I would have to return for a bilateral mastectomy,  but they were clean.   I can not complain at all.  I then after surgery had 33 radiation treatment with 6 boosts.   If sometime in the future I do have to have my breast removed I will.  But for now, I feel I was spared,  I believe that it was in God's hands.  I did some research for treatment in my area and decided to go to MD Anderson,  in my opinion I could not have asked for better care.  The big anxiety in my life now is that Sept 16th is my first 6 month check up.  I will have my first set of blood tests and markers taken since I was told I was in remission in March of this year, it is so nerve racking.  

Well, ladies God bless you all.

Cindy 

• patoo
    edited September 2009

Yes, I forgot about the roll under my knees.  But they told me to just breathe normally as the maching circled me from left to right.  I also had the cut-out mold for the 6 boosts at the end.

JO, glad you will still stay around.  I have also cut back but go into withdrawal if I don't come on occasionally. 

Blessings to all.

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited September 2009

Alyson:  Great to hear your news!!!! All I can say about your path report is YAY!!!

• susan_CNY
    susan_CNY Member Posts: 64
    edited September 2009

I have learned to not sweat the small stuff here and it has worked for me so far, when I am needy I check out all the threads and post what I want, I have always found support, this thread in particular is so supportive, I don't have the time to check in everyday and give as much as I get, God Bless those who do and thanks from Susie

• susan_CNY
    edited September 2009
    there is a big differance between a clique like in junior high school and truly caring threads, I find the we are pink sisters or monkeys or whatever very childlike myself, is why I choose to be online, don't have to pass the test to be included Foot in mouth  I always fail tests, I am bad  lol
  • susan_CNY
    edited September 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g35zS1tVO3o&feature=related    any of the older ladies remember this song? I love music, hoping some of you do too
  • pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited September 2009

Did any of you New River people find my new sunglasses that I lost when canoeing there?  I caught the frame with the end of  my paddle and plop, they were gone.  It was October 31, 1990 and freezing cold so no going after them!  Guess some fish is wearing them now.  

Sounds like your surgery went smoothly today, Carole. Take care.

Pam 

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited September 2009

Hugs for all.   These old bones are going out for a walk before it gets too hot.   Have a super duper day, with no pain, no fears, no anxieties, no worries.     Nancy

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009

Thanks, Pam, for the caring thoughts.  I'm hoping the healing goes better this time around and I don't have to go back to the OR again for another "revision."  My PS is a perfectionist type and isn't totally satisfied with my reconstructed breasts.  He mentioned that we could go back for a revision down the line where he could reposition the right implant to achieve better "symmetry."  When I mentioned this to a friend, she pointed out that natural breasts are often asymmetrical.  In her case, she has one breast larger than the other.  

Quite a few women don't opt for reconstruction because of the possible complications, but the risk was worth it for me.  It was comforting to know I was going into the hospital with a breast shape and would be leaving with a breast shape.  Of course, I would much have preferred to live out my life with my natural breasts and not be diagnosed with bc.  But I wasn't consulted on my wishes!  Life has this way of dealing the cards. 

Tomorrow I go back to the PS to have the bandage on the left incision removed.  I'm not looking forward to having the tape peeled off.  It's a clear tape like you use on packages!  It seems to be a "Big Ouch" situation.  Meanwhile, I've stopped taking my daily walks and am restricted to sponge bathing.  But as my sister Linda reminded me yesterday when she called, "Remember, you had a low oncotype number."  How soon we forget our blessings and start grumbling.  Maybe I should have a bulletin board with BLESSINGS listed to counterbalance the current complaints.

We've had workmen doing a job on the outside of our house the last two days, and they should finish up today.  Then comes the pain of writing the check to pay them!  But the Blessing is having the money to pay them.

Another Blessing that I almost hesitate to list because of superstition is the weather report this morning predicting that Erica may dissipate out in the Gulf.  If we can just get through Sept. without a hurricane hitting the Gulf coast, it will be great.

It's sunny outside and the humidity has crept up again after a couple of days of lower humidity.  Here in my house it's cool!

Everyone have a great day.

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited September 2009

Comment on Swine Flu shot:   asked onco at visit on 8/27.  She and her colleagues agree it is not known if it will work and to be sure to get the regular one, which I have done for many years.   I am of the age that a pneumonia shot is recommended, and mine is up to date.   

• pj12
    edited September 2009

Hi Carole,

I have always been the glass half full girl, Pollyanna, Libra who sees the good in the serial killer... to the point of really annoying people who are close to me.  But this BC diagnosis and process has damaged my optimistic attitude, perhaps irreparably.  I hope I am not yet a pessimist.  As Hagar the Horrible said when his son, doing homework asked "Dad, what do you call a person who always thinks the worst is going to happen?" and Hagar responded, " A REALIST."  

So... in my humble opinion, there is nothing good about this disease, just things that are less bad!  Sometimes I want to wallow in my discontent.  I know my stats are good and I will probably die in my sleep at age 99... or shot by a jealous lover who catches me with a new paramour (same age :)  but there is an ominous cloud hanging over my head and heart that didn't used to be there.  I get tired of healthy people always saying how lucky I am, they found it early, I look really good, how great modern medicine is, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.  I want someone to say how scared you must be, what an ordeal this is for you, that you don't always have to put on a brave face or make a joke about the latest assault on your body.  

But your sister, my daughter, our friends, even our husbands are saying those positive, uplifting things to try to chase away those demons who whisper doubts in our ear in the middle of the night and shoo away the butterflies who congregate in our tummies as we await the latest biopsy report.   And maybe to assuage their own fears a little.  God bless them for trying!

But this is the place for complaining and sharing.  So post your "Blessings" list on your fridge and post your "Curses" list on here.  And put that tape at the top!  It sounds horrible and I hope it is not as bad coming off as it forebodes!

Pam 

• pj12
    edited September 2009

Thank you Jo-5.  I feel better just saying it... writing it, I mean.  Now I can face the next person who tells me about their friend-neighbor-relative who had breast cancer treatment six months ago and is now  cured :) !!!

Pam 

• pj12
    edited September 2009

Hi Jo-5,

Congrats on being 5 years out!  It sounds like it hasn't always been easy, especially with such "encouragement" from friends!  Do you think it ever dawned on her how insensitive she was?  Probably not.  

Can you tell me what fibrosis in breast tissue is like?  I have odd cording under the skin on the lower inner portion of my radiated breast.  Don't know what to call it.  Can you believe, I FORGOT to ask the radiologist!

Pam 

• noni1
    noni1 Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2009

Pam,

Hang in there, I could not have said it better myself!!!!!!!  People say stupid things because they are nervous,  and our family and loved ones say the things they do because they truly love us and want us to be healthy again.  Little do they know that chemo kills cancer, but it also kills a little bit of us in the process.

God bless you all,

Cindy

PS  This is the best thread,  I totally feel I can vent if I need too.................. 

• patoo
    edited September 2009

Yes, vent as much as you want.  Not only because of the BC but because of the age - we have truly earned all the ranting our big hearts desire!  As long as we don't hurt anyone in the process - go for it.  That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

JO - about the Swine Flu vaccine.  I also asked my med onc a few weeks ago and he didn't think it was necessary.  So it's up to the individual.  But I've never gotten a flu shot either (and have never had the flu).   He does recomment the pneumonia vaccine so I may get that once I stop procrastinating. 

I'm going to try and take the weekend off from here after I visit a couple more threads (operative word "try").  So hope you all have a nice one.

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009

When I got my flu shot last year, the nurse asked if I'd had a pneumonia vaccine.  I said no, and she gave me the shot. 

The bandage came off my "revised" incision today and everything looks great.  Removing the tape wasn't nearly as bad as I feared, thank goodness!  With luck, this time I should heal.  Playing golf again will be delayed a couple of weeks, but those weeks will pass.  Today I'm six weeks out from the BMX.

When I go back for a checkup in two weeks, I'll get my prescription for Arimidex.  I was told my risks of recurrence are 15 per cent without taking Arimidex and 7 percent taking it.  So I'll start taking the drug and see how well I tolerate the SEs.

Hope everyone enjoys the Labor Day weekend.

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited September 2009

I am going thru a phase of breakdowns.

First to go was my 'spare' washer, dog blankets trapped inside, and awaiting the engineer.

Then 2 security lights went dead, and the house is now in pitch black, and I don't like it ! DH got the ladder out, went up, declared them mended, but whaddya know, as soon as it got dark....no lights.

Coming back from physio, my car window came down with a bang, and I couldn't stop to collect groceries, as I couldn't go in the store and give the world and his wife access to my car ! Again DH 'mended' it. It is in the up position now, and will neither go up nor down...but at least I can shop safely.

My fridge packed up 9 days ago, the engineer turned up, but has to order a part, so I have had to go out and spend money on a smaller repacement to put us on.

Yesterday a ring on my cooker just stopped working, this doesn't bother me greatly as I don't cook. I use the microwave. DH is nattering because he does cook !

I think my dryer is coming out in sympathy, I have put some clothes in twice now, and they aren't drying . I can't be bothered to check it all out tonight, its not the fluff trap to blame I did that yesterday, so could be looking at a new element.

I just seem to be going thru a phase of things not working anymore, a small diamond missing from my engagement ring, a favorite radio gone dead, my main pc blew up about a month ago, I am on the spare now, everything needs an engineer, or a mender. I hate making appointments. no-one ever turns up when they say they will, I waste so much time hanging around, and getting snotty on the phone.

Oh, for a world where everything is working. DH says its my fault...don't know how he comes to this conclusion.

Isabella.

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited September 2009

For what it is worth, my husband's internist suggests a pneumonia vaccination as protection against the swine flu.  He said that in most cases, it is pneumonia that causes the serious problems.  Not recommending anything, just repeating what I heard.

All the best.

Mandy

• illinoislady
    edited September 2009

Isabella....Wow !!!  When it rains it pours at your house...and then hubby saying it is all your fault.  Well -- hmmm, seems to me these are all things you use so they are going to get tired and worn down just like we do.  You are right though.....you wait hours for the repair people to show up and sometimes they don't.  If I could do some of the waiting with you I would. 

Carole...glad things seem so good for you at this time.  Arimidex is a good thing or at least I am convinced.  Now and then I've had some achy parts ( not too often ) and I figure it's a fair trade and may even help condition me for when I'm older and the "OTHER" aches and pains that may show up.  Most of the time I don't even think much about it now.....just swallow my little white pill at about the same time every day. 

As for swine flu......I'm not sure.  Last year I didn't get a flu shot so I may get the regular one, but though I believe to some degree in trying to protect ones self.....I think it may be premature and too iffy at this point.  I'll see what the Dr. has to say, but it will have to be very convincing.

Hope you all have a great day.....rain here and for the next couple days so I may be on here a bit more.  See you....

Hugs to all,

Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited September 2009

Mandy.....we were posting at the same time and for some reason something in that sounds sorta right to me.  For one thing....I didn't take the flu shot last year but still have a current pneumonia shot.  Truth telling.....I don't think I have ever had a "real" flu in my life...

Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009

Isabella, your post was a riot!  Have you ever considered becoming a comic writer?  I don't mean to minimize your aggravations from the break-downs, but your experiences are the extreme example of "when it rains, it pours"!  It does seem that breakdowns come in twos or threes.  I've been coaching my ancient washing machine to stop working so that I can get one of those new front-opening washers that look so high tech.  My Maytag is chugging along at 25 years!  My dh is a handy-man type so he has replaced some parts through the years.  He even replaced the broken ice-maker mechanism on our refrigerator a couple of years ago.  It requires a lot of "language," though, for him to get things done.  The air turns blue in his working area.

My revised incision is very sore, but otherwise I feel fine.  I've become a lazybones, though.  Didn't get out of bed this morning until after 8am.  Have to go pick up my mother's prescriptions at the drugstore and take them out to her along with some lunch for the two of us.  My dh was off before 7:30 to play in a golf tournament.

I don't know about the swine flu vaccination.  I plan to get the regular one.  Guess I'll go with my dr's recommendation.

Weather here is sunny despite the weatherman's dire warnings of high chance of rain.

Happy labor day weekend to all!  No labor for me.