Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited September 2009

Lisa, my flag calendar says today is a half mast day for flying the flag.   God Bless America.

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited September 2009

Sending out hugs and healing vibes to Jo................and thanks to you gals who let us know that she's "under the weather" for awhile here. 

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited September 2009

Jo look after yourself. (((((((((JO))))))))))

Its so difficult when you can't get around.

Its a half mast day here too as we remember those who died.

Alyson

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited September 2009

Alyson - do you know if any from NZ died in the towers?  Just wondering as it was a global tragedy.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited September 2009

Yes there were a few and also from other countries as well. There was a NZer on one of the planes. My daughter knew one of NYPD police who arrived at work just as the first plane hit and who helped get people out and we knew others who got out of the buildings. So yes it was a global tragedy. It was early hours of the 12th here when it happened and it wasn't until DD rang from London telling us to turn on the TV that we knew.there have been some interesting programmes on TV today and memorial services have been held as well around the country.

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited September 2009

My son's boss was on the first plane. When I realized my son could have been on that plane, I was beside myself and I think I never cried so  much or prayed so much.   My dil's sister was at the Pentagon working on that fateful day also.   

• patoo
    edited September 2009

You know, puts it into perspective somewhat.  We are fighting/surviving BC, but we are alive, albeit under a new "normal".  I'm not saying this is easy for anyone but yesterday brought me to the verge of tears again and I did not lose or come close to losing anyone.   It's so much better to focus on the positive and turn our backs on the negative.  JMHO

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010

Sending hugs and prayers, Jo.  Hope you get some good news from ortho man. Time for all of us to throw out those ironing boards...maybe if we wear wrinkled clothes no one will notice the wrinkles on our face.  Hang in there.

Just back from vac down the shore. No pcs  but lots of books, walks etc.  It was great..very stormy this week and some crazy waves. I managed to get in the water once but it was just too strong for me.  A middle aged man asked if I was ok ...I just sort of snapped at him " I'm just old"... and then I laughed.   I was in a bit of trouble and knew my days of riding the waves is limited to very very calm days when there are no waves.  But in my head I'm still 16???

Came home to find the PET was ok'd by insurance.  After one month on thyroid meds I"m feeling so much better.   I'm wondering if there is a correlation between AIs  aromasin and thyroid?  Never had this before?  What a difference in my energy.   Take care all you chooks.

I

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited September 2009

Hi Jo-5,

News of your fall was widespread here and of concern in many different threads.  You are a valued voice!  So no more ironing!  Stay off your leg and get better and back to posting here soon.

Pam 

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited September 2009

Jo, get better quickly, look after yourself, get lots of rest.

Isabella.

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited September 2009

Jo, that was clearly a sign ... we must all take "ironing" off of our list of things to do. I hope you feel better soon

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,265
    edited September 2009

Maire....glad you are feeling better.  The thyroid issues can make you so very, very sluggish.  Hope all stays well with you and that the Pet scan turns out well.  Good for you having a nice if somewhat stormy vacation. 

Jo....still sending warm healing thoughts amid the prayers.

Hugs, Jackie

• patoo
    edited September 2009

JO glad you are able to move about somewhat.  Sorry you could not make your trip with DH.  Ironing is definitely over-rated; not only the feet of the boards but you can also get caught up in the iron cord.  I say, down with all ironing!!!

Maire, glad you are feeling better as well.  Hang in there.

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2009

JO    Patoo and I just know that ironing is hazardous to your health.  Seriously, I hope you are well on the mend.  Saying a prayer for God's healing for you. 

Maire  I wouldn't want to be 16 again (even in my mind), but I wouldn't mind being about 26!

Chooks, hope you are all having a good weekend.  I finished #12/36 rads yesterday...using lots of Aquaphor, getting a bit sore, but I can do it. 

Take care...Helen

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited September 2009

I plan to be very careful when I get out my ironing board this afternoon!  Don't know how you non-ironing ladies get by without ironing.  Some of my cotton shorts would be unwearable, and almost all my blouses need a touch-up pressing.  If I tripped, though, I would fall on thick carpet in my bedroom.  No basements in south Louisiana.

Helen, cheers for your positive attitude as you go through rads.

A quiet Sunday here.

• Isabella4
    edited September 2009

I'm also an ironer !! And I really don't know how anyone can get away without ironing, and hope to look tidy !

I have to admit though to not ironing pj's....it was shock... horror....what a way to carry on..... when I first heard my DIL say she didn't iron pj's and t shirts 20 years ago...then.. I saw the wisdom of her ways, and became a convert !

I must have the worlds biggest ironing pile though, luckily I can shut the door on it, and no-one can see! I have been known to buy something, wash it, sling on my ironing pile after a couple of wears, and go out and buy the same item of clothing again, because I liked it, and because my addled brain had forgot I already got this item a month before !!

I have an 8 month old g/daughter, she just makes more washing than a football team, I just can't see taking her out in un-ironed clothes, apart from looking a mess, surely the creases and crinkles would be very uncomfortable for a baby skin.  JMHO.

Isabella.

• pj12
    edited September 2009

Remember the days before we returned to natural fabrics like cotton and linen?  Polyester may be tacky but you did not have to iron much.  I remember a cotton blouse my daughter had... yoke neck and waist band with a bloused bodice.... horrible to iron.  That's when she had to learn to iron her own clothes, poor thing - bad mom.  How time flies... now she is ironing her own child's clothes.

Pam 

• patoo
    edited September 2009

Aha, knew there's a reason I only have boys - but, no, that's not true.  The oldest doesn't care a lick if he's wrinkled whereas the younger one has to have perfectly ironed jeans and impeccable white t-shirts.   He ironed them, not me!

Me, I try to stay close to knits, wash and wear or dry clean. 

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009

Glad to report that I had a safe ironing session this afternoon!  Yes, I remember the "perma press" days, too.  If you grabbed those polyester pants suits out of the dryer and put them on a hanger, they were ready to wear as soon as they cooled off!   In my teenage days (we're talking 1950's), I wore gathered skirts that were "starched and ironed."  They didn't need a body inside them.  They would stand on their own!

• pj12
    edited September 2009

And wasn't it a miracle when spray starch came along!

Pam 

• Gramof3
    edited September 2009

Has anyone heard from Motherof7? 

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009

Pam, I used spray starch for years.  Then a few years ago I splurged and bought a really nice steam iron.  It works so well that I stopped using the spray starch, which makes for faster ironing.

Jo, I hope you're recovering from your fall. 

Have a nice Monday, everyone!

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited September 2009

I'm sitting here giggling because I just ironed for over an hour this afternoon.  I moved the ironing board into the family room where I could watch TV while ironing!  So far I haven't tripped over it but that sounds like something I might do!  Smile  Although it isn't my favorite job, I love those nicely pressed clothes.  No more spray starch for me, though.  I did give that up a long time ago.  And as for those polyester pants and jackets, we always laughed that they were "bullet proofed!"

Jo...sure hope the leg isn't cracked!  Ouch! 

Maire...sending good vibes your way for a clean Pet scan!

Hugs to all of you wonderful gals!  I hope you've each had a good day.  Remember that each day is indeed a gift!  (and I spent mine IRONING????  Something doesn't seem quite right about that!)

Catch you all later.

Rita

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited September 2009

When my three sons were teenagers, cotton shirts came back into vogue for them..wonderful I said, if you want them, you have to iron them as well, this started their "bachelor training"....their wives just love it!!

I do still iron, but I think the greatest thing was the intro of the steam iron..what a blessing

• patoo
    edited September 2009

Well for those of you who insist on ironing (I understand that some times you just have to iron but that should be the exception) I think you should do the right thing and get rid of your steam iron and go back to sprinkling your clothes with water and rolling them up prior to ironing.  Then, high-tail yourselves over to the 'housework support' thread and tell "them" that you are ironing.  They'll give you your comeuppance!  (or something like that!)

(and yes, I do have a pile of things that could use an iron but I just keep finding other things to wear).  LOL

• Gramof3
    edited September 2009

JO,  Glad to see you're up and ironing!  I do get out the ironing board when I quilt, and once in a while for something I'm going to wear...but the rest of the time I just wear burlap bags and gunny sacks--no ironing needed.  Just kidding. 

I have a form of degenerative arthritis under my knee caps.  Had a total left knee replacement 2 years ago and the surgery was a piece of cake.  My orth. caught me sneaking out of bed the second morning to retrieve a book from my suitcase--scolded me for not wearing slippers. I was driving at 8 days, could bend my knee to 90 degrees when I went back for my post-op visit.   I intended to have my right knee replaced this year, but obviously got side-tracked.  Once I am fully recovered from bc and my onc approves, I will get the replacement done.  I was able to do so much more after the first one--look forward to being able to do even more! 

Lisa,  I had only boys and "bachelor training" has earned me points with both DILs! 

Later,Chooks...am going to put a cool compress on my radiated breast!   Helen

• dragonfly10
    dragonfly10 Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2009

Me, I am a wash and wear type of gal.  JO, hope your better every day.  Off to dewrinkle some clothes in the dryer.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,265
    edited September 2009

I have to admit....I do some ironing on my wash and wear, but it is really easy to do and makes a difference even though when you first start out it seems like you may be wasting your time and energy.  I don't LOVE to iron though....I think it was the military training thing....I wore a white heavily starched uniform as I was a Medical Corpsman and I just learned to like looking a little polished all the time.  I don't do it near as much the past couple of years....it just isn't as important now. 

Hope you all stay well and get good test results.  I'll be checking in again soon.

Hugs,  Jackie

• Isabella4
    edited September 2009

I have been 'banned' from using my dryer..global warming, high electricity costs...and all that.

I just use it now when DH is out and can't hear the blessed thing churning away, or when I have a good excuse and my 8month old g/daughter is staying. I just blame all her baby washing !!!!

I tell you a little secret here. As I was told not to use it unless absolutely necessary guess who's undies NEVER go in the dryer now ?? He can scratch himself silly if he has the cheek to ban me   he he he.

Isabella.

• pj12
    edited September 2009

Hi Isabella,

I went through the eco-sensitive period where I hung everything on a clothesline to dry.  But EVERYTHING had to be ironed.   So how did that save energy?  So I rationalized going back to using the dryer.  

When I was in London 10 yrs ago I asked everyone what those metal looking tubes sticking out all the windows were... finally someone explained they were to duct the heat from dryers to the outdoors.  Had not seen that before but our buildings are so much newer, I guess.

Use your dryer!

Pam