Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited September 2009
    OH ISABELLA......the scratchy undies is just too funny!  Money mouth  Never underestimate a woman!!!!!
  • Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited September 2009

Lovely spring day here and I got all the washing dry outside. Have been lucky over winter that we have had so many clear days that I haven't used the dryer so much and also as I have 'retired i am around during the day to get the washing in. Have to confess I do hardly any ironing because when my sister is with us she does it all and she irons everything and when shes not DH irons most things, he always has so I don't care to stop him.

Must get the dishes done and finish sorting out my wardrobe. DD arrived while I was doing it so will have to go back through the clothes and rescue some things.

Have a great day

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited September 2009

I do some ironing in the warm months (summer) because of cotton fabrics.  Winter is mostly sweatshirts and sweaters, turtlenecks -- so no ironing.   Anyone tried those hand held steamers?  I had little success with them - will take minimal amount of wrinkles out, but not that fresh pressed look.   

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited September 2009

Except for Jo's accident, this has been a very entertaining thread the last few days!  Isabella, my husband was sitting over at his computer when I read your post about line-drying your husband's undies, and I read the post aloud to him.  We both enjoyed a good laugh.  Laughing always feels so good, doesn't it?

I have a spray bottle of the Downy wrinkle release on my laundry room shelf, and, yes, it works pretty well on knit shirts and blouses.  To be honest, I'd forgotten about it!  I'll have to start using it again.  I encourage my husband to buy the so-called microfiber golf shorts and shirts because they need no ironing.  I believe they're actually a newer version of polyester.  You just have to get them out of the dryer as soon as the load is finished.  

I got my prescription for Arimidex yesterday.  From all I've learned reading the Arimidex thread, I'm not excited about taking the med. 

Today I'm meeting a couple of women friends for lunch at a Thai restaurant.  I ate Thai food for the first time last year and really like it. 

Hope everyone has a good day.

• GramE
    edited September 2009

The wrinkle releaser works sometimes and sometime it doesn't.   Maybe it is my "method"....   The micro fiber clothes make me sweat like a ditch digger and I am way past menopause.   Sloppy is my usual "style"... but I call it "casual"...    Hugs everyone.   Nancy

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited September 2009

Good Evening all,

I loath ironing.  Kind of chilly in New England today, almost frozed my bippy off during my walk at work.  

JO, sending healing thoughts to you.

Carol, I have been on Arimidex for over 2 yrs.  It takes awhile for your body to adjust.  I will be on it for 3 more yrs. 

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited September 2009

Deborye...I was interested in your weather report as some of our friends left this week on a cruise up the east coast.  We had a lovely day in central Illinois today.  I spent some time on the golf course and some time in the yard. 

Well, now I'm going looking for that wrinkle release product.  It's amazing the things we learn on here!

I hope you all had a good day and that those of you in treatments are coping well.

Hugs to all of you.

Rita

• junie
    junie Member Posts: 784
    edited September 2009

I "lurk" in this forum for older women but seldom post.    Would someone please explain to me what an iron is????  j/k

I do have an iron, think it is a steam iron, think it is somewhere in the laundry room where I think I have an ironing board that pulls down out of the wall.  I truly cannot tell you the last time I used an iron in my home.  I have pressed wrinkles out of a few things in hotel rooms when traveling--but for the most part, if I can't pull it out of a dryer or a suitcase and wear it--I'm not buying it.

Will upfront date myself--I'm 62.  A childhood memory is sitting on the porch watching my mom or grandma pull clothes out of the wash tub and crank the hand wringer to squeeze the water out; dump clothes in a basket and take out, shake,  and hang on the clothesline with wooden pins....no greater pleasure than to hop in bed at night to freshly washed sheets that had dried in the summer sun...

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2009

JO - Hope you are feeling better and the MRI comes back without any breaks or cracks.  BTW, welcome to my world - I am not supposed to put weight on my foot with the diabetic ulcer (which is taking its own sweet time healing).  I tripped over my vacuum (canister) and broke two bones in my foot - haven't touched a vacuum since  (I live with my sister and she has a maid - yea!).  My bone density test is one of the few tests that came back normal...normal...normal.  So why did I break two bones tripping over a vacuum cleaner and why, when  I fell did my shoulder shatter - not break, not crack - shatter!?

In keeping with the thread - we have three irons and never use any - I firmly believe in the "casual" style.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited September 2009

OK... all this ironing talk has got me motivated.  I am turning off the laptop and going to tackle the mountain of ironing that has been collecting for the past month!

Maybe someone could start talking about washing windows.  Mine need it desperately.

Pam 

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,265
    edited September 2009

The wrinkle release.  I heard about that probably three years ago and promptly forgot.  This would I think save a little ironing for me.  I think I am destined to always find myself in the "caboose" of everything in life....not so bad for the reason I'm here since at least I waited to get that problem/discovery until I was 62. 

I have been mostly lurking and enjoying the ironing comments.  I could relate to junie as I recall my mom's old wringer washer full of water with the two galvanized tubs of hot rinse water.  She hung out the clothes as long as she could ( and got freezing cold hands along the way ) and when it became too cold for that we had a long living room and hooks every so often so a clothes line went up inside.  We'd walk in the front door from school and have to wind our way through the drying clothes to put our things away in our room.  When my mom and dad ( after I was 18 and left home ) migrated to warm southern California.....they bought a mobile home in a park and lo and behold--no more hauling water from well, coal into the house etc.  Instead of the outside bathroom--make that outhouse facilities, my mom laughed because not only did she have now two actual bathrooms inside her house....they had carpet in them  She found it amusing to have so much luxury after all our years in our first home. 

I have lots of fond memories of my childhood....and I am glad I had it just the way it was.

Hope you all are feeling well, staying well and enjoying the last of summer.

Hugs, Jackie

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited September 2009

Does anyone else remember the mangle iron? I remember my mother ironing sheets, pillow cases and table cloths and whatever else was flat on that thing.  She was quite delighted when she discovered that it wasn't really 100% necessary to iron sheets - and gave away her mangle iron to my aunt. In recent years my aunt talked of having sold it in her yard sale before moving to a smaller house. She asked if we would have wanted it. Absolutely not!

• pj12
    edited September 2009

I remember ironing sheets!  We didn't have a mangle but Martha Stewart has shown one on her TV show.  Raves about it.  And yes, Martha does her sheets on it.  I do have sheets in my guest room that require a touch along the top sheet's wide hem... it is always wonker-jawed otherwise.  But I make up the bed and then bring the hot iron into the room and run it across the top.  I've seen my daughter iron the front of her shirt while wearing it!  I think that is one of the warnings in the booklet that comes with the iron... for really stupid people, I tell her.

Pam 

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009

My windows need cleaning, too, but they will have to wait for cooler weather.  A few years ago I learned a great method for cleaning glass and mirrors.  Two good-quality microfiber cloths, not the cheapie ones at Walmart.  Wet one and wring it out with a tight squeeze so that it's damp.  Wipe the glass with the damp cloth, then polish with the dry cloth.  No Windex, no chemicals.  Works great.  RV people make great use of microfiber products.  I learned about the products at an RV rally with vendors.  Of course, somebody sells these high quality cloths!  I also have a dust mop with microfiber pads that velcro onto the mop.  This works great, too.  OR...  Save your money and hire a maid!

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited September 2009

My upstairs windows are an absolute disgrace upstairs, no way I can get to them, I've been in this house 25 years and only ever done the downstairs ones.

I am pretty isolated so don't expect to get a window cleaner come to me without costing me a small fortune, I would have to order scaffolding for 2 sides of the house. We changed all the windows about 5 years ago, I was going to get those ones than spin completely round so the outside can be cleaned, but I forgot all about it when I was ordering the new windows !!!! Too late when I remembered, the new ones were almost installed. Don't think the fitters would have been too pleased if I'd had a change.

Isabella. 

• pj12
    edited September 2009

Carole,

I like your water only window washing technique.  Every   time I spray or pour some chemical product; cleaner, bug spray, polish, etc; I wonder how big a carcinogen it is!

Hire a maid is an even better idea!

Pam 

• pj12
    edited September 2009

Isabella,

Do you have the Windex product that attaches to your water hose?  That's what I use for my upstairs windows and it works pretty well.  It's all spray action, no scrubbing or wiping.  My nieghbor says it does not do a good job but I tell her she has a higher standard than I do.  :)

Pam 

• GramE
    edited September 2009

My mom had a wringer washer in the basement and hung clothes there in the winter months, otherwise outside.  Remember the wooden pole to bring the sagging clothes line "up".     One time she came running up the stairs screaming -- a snake, a snake.  apparently a garden snake got in the window and she washed it and then "wrung" it thru the wringer.   

I am in an apartment on the first floor.   So far (3 years) I have only done my patio door because that is what I see.   The microfiber cloth sounds like a very environmentally good thing.   Does it work on car windows?     

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited September 2009

How do you define "good" microfiber?  Why won't Walmart brand work - just wondering?  I wouldn't mind paying for good ones and it seems the only time I am motivated to clean windows is when the sun is shining through them and that's when you don't want to do them if using Windex.  When the sun passes my lunacy to think of doing housework has passed.  (yeah, I spent too much time on the housework thread!).

I'm 60 but only vaguely remember the washers with the wringer. 

Hey, we moved from ironing to window washing.  What's next?  Dusting?  I'd rather iron than dust!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited September 2009

I do remember our mangle iron, because my mother made me  use it to iron the sheets before wash and wear and the "new cotton"....we had to sprinkle the clothes and linens before we could iron...

Now, I buy little that actually needs ironing..and nothing that needs dry cleaning...

now I need furniture that doesn't need dusting and windows that don't streak...by the 

way floors that don't need cleaning either, and grass that doesn't need mowing..how about

cars?

• junie
    edited September 2009

Lefty--oh yes, I remember that friggin pole to prop up the clothesline!   Our clothes were hung outside even in the winter.   I used to drive my mom crazy when it was my turn to go bring them in during the winter.  I would take forever because I would play with the frozen clothes.   I'd let that pole down and then I'd go up and down the line bending pants and shirts to make them look like people moving.....(I didn't have many toys as a child...lol).    It took me years though to understand why mom would start ironing about an hour after those baskets of frozen clothes came inside--they were thawed just enough to not need sprinkling and rolling before ironing.......

I remember in high school when I had to iron all my own clothes.   If I was going to be wearing a sweater over a blouse, only the collar. neck and cuffs of the blouse were ironed...mom thought I was lazy--I thought I was pretty smart.

I will do windows, just to get dog slobber and grandkid fingerprints cleaned off before next visit.  Dust??   Dust is a country collectible

• GramE
    edited September 2009

Let's change to food.   What is a tasty meal for one?  I am so bored with my "diet".  Tuna salad for lunch yesterday and Lamb chops for dinner - on the Foreman grill.   I don't mind fixing a decent meal as much as the clean up and what to do with the left overs.   How creative does one have to be?   Today may be chili from Wendy's - too much trouble to fix for just me.   

I cracked up over bending the clothes, junie.   Thanks for the laughs.   Hugs and Happy weekend for all,   Nancy 

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited September 2009

My daughter gave me one of those stone pans for Christmas one year - shaped sort of like a lasagna pan. I put in it a piece of chicken (or whatever) and some veggies, sprinkle with today's favourite spices or salad dressing, put in the oven and about 45 minutes later, there's supper for one. Part of my shopping is to come home and (on a good day) chop up the veggies to put in little containers so that they are all set to go. Otherwise, I'd never bother. They can be eggplant, zucchini, broccoli, a little potato, onions, mushrooms, carrots --- whatever. Who knew they could all bake together happily?

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010

I know the subject is changing to food but I have to chime in on windows.  I have a solution for all your window washing needs.  I always was a nut about cleaning windows. 4 or 5 times a year.( My mom cleaned and changed curtains in our kitchen window every Friday...she made all the curtains and had a few sets....we lived in a walk up in NY...not a good view but always shining)  About 10 years ago  we got replacement windows and they are very simple to clean....Since we got them I never "get around to washing the windows" because it's sooooo easy and I can do it anytime.  I just pray for a good driving rain.

Suggestions on cooking....I like to cook on Sunday and have two dishes for Mon -Thurs.  I've also learned there is nothing wrong with cooking at night after dinner for tomorrow.  In an emergency I saute some onions, garlic  and olive oil, throw in a chicken cutlet and a little white wine or lemon and  cover and steam it with some asparagus, broccoli or whatever is handing.

Lassie...I make a veg stew with a can of stewed tomatoes in a pot and throw in  cut up zucchini, yellow or green squash, onions, eggplant, mushrooms, fresh basil, and anything else I have handy and just cook it all together.  It's tasty and it's quick.

Bake a sweet potato or regular potato...It's  a real treat after a summer of salads.  In fact I'm going to make myself one tonight.

Thinking of all of you....Maire

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009

Patoo, if you have the Walmart fibercloths, you can give them a try.  The products I use can be purchased at www.almostheavenproducts.com.  The added cost of shipping will make them cost more than I paid when I bought directly from the vender at rv shows and rallies.  We also use the microfiber bath towels when we travel in our rv.  They dry quickly.  The cloths are good for dusting but I mostly use the little Swifter sheets for dusting.  They work great.  One box lasts a long time as infrequently as I clean house!

My mother had a wringer washing machine, too, and I loved putting clothes through the wringer.  Sometimes it would get jammed and would have to be dismantled.  Once a frog jumped in the washer and got mixed up in the clothes.  He went through the wringer.  Yuck.  We also hung clothes on an outdoors clothesline and there was a prop pole.  We used aluminum "stretchers" in the pants legs of trousers to make a crease.  My mother was one more happy woman when she got her first clothes dryer.  No more hanging out clothes for her except for sheets.  No more scratchy towels.

Today I'm 8 wks out from my surgery and feel good enough that I could get all kinds of work done around the house.  Here it is eleven o'clock and I haven't even made up my bed yet!  I did walk 2.2 miles and eat breakfast.

Good Friday to all!

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2009

Maire - I love a sweet potato bakes - add cinnamon and lemon juice - yum.  I also steam whatever vegetable I have on hand - I love broccoli and cauliflower.  I even hve my aunt steaming cut up potatos, broccoli, carrots and string beans.  She adds butter to hers and I add lemon.

Lassie - I will look for a stone pan - I love roasted vegetables.

Windows - look for driving rain - best cleaner around - We have shades - if the windows are streaked, pull down the shades.

I don't actually remember wringer washes except by lore - my grandmother allowed me to close to one and I put my arm through it - the had to take the wringer apart to get my arm out!  What do you expect with a 2 year old?

I don't think any woman in my family ever ironed sheets.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited September 2009

We had a wringer when I was a kid..I had to do my brother's diapers

and hang them on the line

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited September 2009

Kathleen, just had to laugh at your little arm stuck in the wringer....I have a weird sense of humour !!!

Pam, I can't get Windex products, but then I can't get near to my house on 2 sides, for an extension on one side, and a conservatory on another....which is really a good excuse for me !

I just wish I had ordered the right sort of windows, so that I could have just twisted them round and cleaned the outside, from inside !! I remembered I had all my windows changed about the same time as my dx, so I wasn't thinking about cleaning windows then !!

Isabella.

• pj12
    edited September 2009

A conservatory!  How very British!  Love it.

Pam 

• junie
    edited September 2009

just a quick chili post to Nancy....we love chili (Wendy's isn't bad...but no Wendy's where we now live).   I make huge quantities of chili for the 2 of us.   I freeze the leftovers in ziplock baggies--put in just enough in each bag for aother serving for two.   Easy to defrost in microwave then heat up in pan--and just toss the ziplocs and don't get the stains if I'd put it in plastic bowls to freeze.   I freeze lots of leftovers in ziplocs.

huggsss, junie