Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited September 2009

Carole, it's just stopped raining in central Illinois and it's really too wet right now to hit the golf course.  I wish I was closer.  I'd meet you for a game!  Hit them long and straight!

Yes Pam, it's amazing how close we become.........and in most cases we've never even met the other person.  I feel I have many wonderful friends on bc.org.  We share the good news and cry together over the potholes of this journey.  Like many of you, I am ready about Mother of 7 too.

I hope you all have a great day!  I'm off to the library and the beauty shop!

Rita

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2009

JO - the insurance industry is long overdue for some changes.  I don't know what my BS said to them but I certainly did not hear about denying a MRI - the mammagram and ultra sound were normal and the radiologist was very cavelier telling me it was a "cyst"' yet I was bleeding from my nipple!  The inssurance company denied in-home PT - I was I supposed to get to an outpatient facility?

Isabella - I never had children but I can hear the pure joy in your post.  I am so happy for you!

Jackie - when I lived in Pittsburgh in the late 70's, and I kid you not, when the sky was blue we would all go outside to enjoy it!  Talk about pollution!  We can still see clouds here.

• Motherof7
    Motherof7 Member Posts: 135
    edited September 2009

Jo-5,Gramof3,kmccraw423

Thanks for your concern and your private messages. I tried to read them, but it'll take me a little time to get back use to the computer.

We got home just in time. Did you see all the flooding in and around Atlanta? I feel so sorry for those people. Nine people died, and one was a two year old that got swept out of his daddy's arm, I know he is feeling so quilty. We have been praying for those people.

We got home on the 9th os September and of course, I had a doctor's appointment on the 10th.

We came home about four weeks in a row for them to run test on me then we would go back up. I have been trying to get my house cleaned up since I got home, I didn't know a house could get so dirty without anyone being in it, maybe I just hadn't cleaned like I ought to who knows?

The Dr. that operated on my hip has released me again, he said he can't find any cancer in that leg. Thank You Jesus!!!!!!

Have any of you heard the song: " I'm a winner either way"? It is so pretty and so true. It was made popular by the Inspirations.

I will tell you the words to the song.

Our loved one knew he'd reached the end of life's journey  He'd been holding to God's hand a long time As I knelt by his bed My heart was thrilled at what he said If I go or if I stay, victory is mine

Chours:  I'm a winner either way if I go or if I stay I will still have my Jesus Each passing day I'll have my healing here below or life forever if I go o praise the Lord I'm a winner either way

None of us really know about tomorrow We must prepare to go to heaven any day While we're here let's trust the Lord He'll lead us safe to our reward And by His grace we'll be a winner either way

Chours 2x

Tag O praise the Lord I'm a winner either way

I think that's so true and so pretty.

I just want to say hello to all you other ladies too. I hope and pray God blesses each one of you and I hope he blesses your families also.

I'm so glad to be home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Motherof7
    edited September 2009

Jo-5,Gramof3,kmccraw423

Thanks for your concern and your private messages. I tried to read them, but it'll take me a little time to get back use to the computer.

We got home just in time. Did you see all the flooding in and around Atlanta? I feel so sorry for those people. Nine people died, and one was a two year old that got swept out of his daddy's arm, I know he is feeling so quilty. We have been praying for those people.

We got home on the 9th os September and of course, I had a doctor's appointment on the 10th.

We came home about four weeks in a row for them to run test on me then we would go back up. I have been trying to get my house cleaned up since I got home, I didn't know a house could get so dirty without anyone being in it, maybe I just hadn't cleaned like I ought to who knows?

The Dr. that operated on my hip has released me again, he said he can't find any cancer in that leg. Thank You Jesus!!!!!!

Have any of you heard the song: " I'm a winner either way"? It is so pretty and so true. It was made popular by the Inspirations.

Our loved one knew he'd reached the end of life's journey  He'd been holding to God's hand a long time As I knelt by his bed My heart was thrilled at what he said If I go or if I stay, victory is mine

Chours:  I'm a winner either way if I go or if I stay I will still have my Jesus Each passing day I'll have my healing here below or life forever if I go o praise the Lord I'm a winner either way

None of us really know about tomorrow We must prepare to go to heaven any day While we're here let's trust the Lord He'll lead us safe to our reward And by His grace we'll be a winner either way

Chours 2x

I just want to say hello to all you other ladies too. I hope and pray God blesses each one of you and I hope he blesses your families also.

• Motherof7
    edited September 2009

Jo-5,Gramof3,kmccraw423

Chours 2x

• Motherof7
    edited September 2009

JO-5

So sorry to hear you fell, but thank God you didn't break anything. However, I'm sure you are very sore, those falls take a little time to get over.

You ladies on here are the greatest and I really didn't mean to worry any of you. Please forgive me for be so inconsiderate. I'm really sorry.

God speed and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited September 2009

Ritajean, we must play golf one of these days when I'm in Decatur, IL, visiting SIL and BIL.  We'll be there for Thanksgiving this year, but I know that's a busy time for everybody and golf is about over in IL for the winter.

Motherof7, as you've learned, a lot of people have been worried about you.  I'm fairly new on this thread so I didn't know who they kept talking about!  Welcome back.

Jo, glad you're recovering from your nasty fall.  We all need to be careful.  A few seconds of carelessness or clumsiness can cause so much inconvenience and misery. 

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,265
    edited September 2009

Mother of 7 --  you are not at all in-considerate.  You are extremely kind and caring.  You just had too much going on.  It happens to all of us from time to time.....why, there are just as many here you'd be wondering about if you had the time to get on here every day and read to your hearts content and didn't hear from them for a while.  You are as normal as apple pie.....and sometimes when you are really busy time just rushes by and before you know it......so please just revel in the fact that you are a beautiful person who IS EASILY missed.  Your kindness and care for others has that effect. 

Be well and you are very forgiven though you did nothing wrong...you were just normal.

Hugs, Jackie 

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2009

Chooks!   So glad Motherof7 is back!  JO, Carole and Jackie are right on target--you're not inconsiderate in any way.  You spend a lot of time caring for others...we were just concerned.  Great to hear from you.

JO--we agree on the insurance "issue!"  I won't tell you what I was thinking this morning as I was pushed in and out of the MRI tube 3 times.  Once for pelvis, then twice with upper and lower spine--blood test and dye injection on this one.  I'm not bothered by confined spaces --learned in law enforcement long ago to make my mind "go somewhere else."  It was the way I learned to deal with some ugly situations (handy now for MRIs).  Anyway, will have results Monday, hopefully. 

Finished 21/36 rads this evening.  Just wish I had gotten this red on a nice white sand beach rather than on a rads table!  Oh well..... Take care, Chooks.  Helen

• Motherof7
    edited September 2009

Ladies,

You all are so very kind. I was reading all your kinds words and I'm sitting here with tears running down my cheeks. You are right when I have time to sit and read and I don't see someone that I'm used to being on here, I really worry about that person and I ask god for his kind mercies on them.

You ladies are the greatest!!!! I just hate we all had to get the C to meet each other. I guess there is a silver lining in everything God does, even if we don't understand it.

I just wanted to say hello and to let you all know that you all are awesome.

Gotta go feed my daughter's dog she is out if town so I promised i would look after him.

Hope you all have a great and blessed day.

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited September 2009

Hello Everyone.   A quick fly by on this gray, overcast day.   All of you are very special to me.   How sad that we had to meet this way, but you lift my spirits and give me hope and comfort.   Have a super duper weekend.  Hugs and Blessings,  Nancy

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited September 2009

Hi KMCCRAW,

It must be wonderful to live in such an historically significant part of the country.  So often when we have been there we have seen school kids who are obviously on day trips.  We love visiting the capital.  Last trip the White House tours had begun again and we got to do that, a real highlight.  My DH would spend the whole time at the Smithsonian!  And we think it is great fun to ride the Metro!

My husband went to GW Med School and is so sad that the original buildings have been torn down!  We were there for a reunion when they were tearing down the original hospital.  He says it is like it all never happened now.  But you can't go back, can you?  Progress!  Bah humbug.

Of course there is nothing older than 50 years in Florida :(  We do have a long history of Spanish exploration (St Augustine and Pensacola) but the spaniards were not colonists like the English.  Not into building cities at all.   But we have great beaches, warm weather (a little hot right now) and lots of senior citizen discounts!

Pam 

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited September 2009
     It's Friday Thank God It's Friday 

• illinoislady
    edited September 2009

Good morning everyone -- many of the Illinois gals are walking in a marathon today to raise money for research.   I am too far away from Chicago ( about four hours ) to do it.  There are some more local to me, but I have such a "varied" schedule I have never done one.  I think that is another thing on my list of things I need to do when life in general is a little calmer and I don't always have tons of projects going on simultaneously. 

Today, I help a lady friend in her pet room and then go pick up animals ( don't know but think I'm the dog ferry today ) and go out to a local fashion show  -- it's being put on to raise money for the local humane society "House of Hope" no kill shelter until 5 this afternoon.....then ferry the animals back to the  country where the humane society President lives.    Will be a long day, butI think a really good one. 

Hope you all have a fantastic day and great week-end.  I'll be checking in later.

Hugs, Jackie

• GramE
    edited September 2009

Pam, I go to Georgetown Univ Hospital for my treatments.  Someone pointed out the original hospital building to me -- a few blocks from the current building complex.   It looks like an apartment building now, but I really don't know the accuracy of the information.   

I do know that the hospital is made up of several buildings, loosely connected.  One building is Lower Lever, the next is Level 1, another is Basement -- all these are ground level floors and VERY confusing.   I feel like leaving bread crumbs to find my way out after going there...

• kmccraw423
    edited September 2009

Jo, Carole and Jackie said it best - you are a sweetie pie Motherof7.

Maybe for me the only good thing that came out of bc is finding you women.  I never knew people could be so caring, loving and generous.  I consider it a honor to know all of you.  It amazes me that whenever anyone posts a problem you ladies jump in with both feet offering support, advice, personal experience, love and prayers.

Carole - boy, are you right about a second of carelessness can lead to many weeks, months of healing.  Yikes!

Pam - I was born and raised in Washington.  Yes, it is a priviledge to live here.  When I was 16 my uncle (he's my age) and I climbed the steps of the Washington Monument and climbed back down!  Many years ago I also toured the White House and got almost a private tour as my youngest sister went to school with the daughter of one of the guards.  That was well before 9/11 when the White House wasn't so closed off, you did not have to go through metal detectors and you got to see a lot more of the White House than the current tour (did that a couple of years ago).  I have never been to the Capitol.  As soon as my foot ulcer heals I will have to do that.  Before my fall, I did go to the Smithsonian but it was so crowded I couldn't stand it!  As a teenage, the Smithsonian was one of my favorite places to hang out!  The other place I have not visited in Jefferson's home.  When you live here, you tend not to think about seeing the sites.  The one thing that surprised me when I lived in other cities is that having all the free tourist attractions and history here, other cities charge you to visit their museums,  zoos and other spots of interest.  Heck, in Sedona, AZ you have to pay to park to look at the views!  I can't even imagine Washington doing that - they have places you an pull off the road, park and enjoy the views for nothing!

• GramE
    edited September 2009

Kathleen, I am a newbie to the DC area - moved here 3 yrs ago.   When my sister was here last year, we went to the Spy Museum and it was really neat.    My son and dil went recently and also loved it.   The good part is that it does NOT take all day to go thru it and it is very close to the Metro and lots of eateries from fast food to gourmet.   Have you been to the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria?   It is also free and they often have outside attractions, such as musicians and the Farmers Market every Saturday morning a few blocks up the street.   

It also amazes me that they do not charge for the Smithsonian.   In Pittsburgh, they even charge for the Art Gallery.    We won't discuss parking in DC -- go Metro !!!    

• kmccraw423
    edited September 2009

Nancy - I actually interviewed for a job with the Spy Museum!  Didn't get it - may go back just to play tourist.  I have been to the Torpedo Factory but it was many years ago.

Are you from Pittsburgh?  I lived there from 1979-1982 (worked at KDKA) and 1996-2000 (WQED).  Small world.

• GramE
    edited September 2009

YES, I was born in Pitts.  Moved to Chicago at age 10, to Phoenix at age 14 (high school at PU - Phoenix Union High School), back to  Pitts.  Lived in the same house for 36 years in Fox Chapel.   Sold it in 2007.   Only son lives in Arlington. Husb died in 2003, so close to only son, and now wife and first grandbaby due March 30.   

• pj12
    edited September 2009

Grandchildren are the best and the first one is most special!  What a blessing to you at this time.   

Pam 

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited September 2009

I agree with you, Pam. My greatest joy comes from my 2 little ones. When I spend time with them, it's the only time I forget about everything else.

• illinoislady
    edited September 2009

Helen, Pam, Nancy and Kathleen.....your conversations have been fascinating as of late...like a really neat travelogue, put together by a good friend.  I have a friend ( a waiter & hairdresser ) who lives not far from the White House and I love when he comes home and gossips a little about whose hair he has done.  I don't know ( can't recall ) if he ever did any of the First Ladies ) but I know he has done some of the other women that are or have been appointed to different offices directly by the President etc. 

Hope you all had a wonderful day and that tomorrow will be just as special.

Hugs, Jackie

• NanaA
    NanaA Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2009

leftyakanancy- I grew up in Phoenix too.  I lived there from 8 to 19.  I graduated from Central High School.  My husband graduated from Phoenix Christian High School and NAU.  We have lived here in Illinois since 1977 but his brother and Mom live in Chase City Virginia now.  We have 3 kids, 5 grandkids and 4 step grandkids.  Keeps life interesting.  This has been a rough year, but test results lately have been good.  Done with chemo and rads and no sign of mets, so just have to finish with Herceptin until March.  Annette

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited September 2009

I think all parts of the country have neat things to visit...we have lived all over and what a joy it is..

I worked for two years in the US Senate...eye opening experience to say the least..

Our town had a street fair today..here is the newest recruit for the Border Patrol

• pj12
    edited September 2009

OMIGOSH, That is so cute!  What does it do?  Love the smiling face, a nice touch.

I attended a  wedding on Coronado Island last summer, overlooking the bay at sunset.  Absolutely beautiful!  It was like being in a movie.  San Diego is lovely but pretty busy.  My little beach town has a pop. of 5000, a slightly slower pace :)  And we have no robots!

Pam 

• kmccraw423
    edited September 2009

Lisa - what does that robot do?  Like Pam, I think the smile is a nice touch.

Last night my brother came over to help my sister organize the basement.  As he was leaving he said "get over here and give your brother a kiss" and I responded I was trying but it was no longer possible to jump up and run - he said stop acting old and I said who's acting?  Most days I feel like 90 - in fact, I've seen 80 and 90 year olds move better than I can!

My diabetic ulcer is really healing - finally!  Maybe then I can start walking.  Shoulder is coming along fine - my gosh - do you think I might heal both and only have the pain of arthritis?  I won't know how to act!

• pj12
    edited September 2009

GM Kathleen,

Does having diabetes impact your BC diagnosis?  Or treatment?  It would be so good if you were able to walk for exercise but it is hard on one's feet.  I walk every AM and always have a blister or callous or bunion or something bugging me.  I did buy a pair of those exercise shoes with the thick rocker like sole.  Mine have soft wide velcro straps...I have the weirdest tan lines on my feet!  But my husband looked at my legs the other day and said they were getting quite shapely.  Of course he did not have his glasses on so could not see all the varicose veins! (Old age does have some compensations.)   Actually, even the most prominent gnarly veins are diminished since I got these shoes!   They are a little awkward to get used to and I do not wear them for anything other than exercise.  I kind of feel like a weeble of "weebles wobble but they won't fall down" toy-dome.  Only thing is I feel like I could just roll right on over!  So take some getting used to.

This whole exercise thing can consume one's life.  And diet and meds and Dr appointments... keeps us busy.  I hope 2010 is a quieter year for me and I can find some normalcy.  I even need to spend less time chatting with my virtual sisters on breastcancer.com!  But you all are always here and ready to listen.  Thank you!

Pam 

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited September 2009

Pam, your exercise shoes sound just like what I need. Is there a brand so that I can figure out who in my areas sells them?  Thanks.

Have a nice day all!

Mandy

• kmccraw423
    edited September 2009

Pam - Diabetes effects bc only in the fact that everythings heals much slower; your blood sugar goes up under stress or when you are sick; and reconstruction is frequently a problem due to infections and slow healing.  That's the only trouble I have had because of diabetes and breast cancer.  The diabetic ulcer I have on my foot is on the bottom, under the big toe.  The only thing that is going to heal it is staying off of it as much as possible.  I too would like to know the name of the exercise shoes.  Thanks for the post.

• pj12
    edited September 2009

I got my shoes from Curves, the exercise place.  I've seen them for sale on ebay too.  Sketchers is currently running an ad on TV for this style of shoe also... that brand would actually be more widely available, I think.  When I started walking a lot I developed very tight quadricep muscles.  Someone recommended this style shoe and it has helped a lot.  It forces me to stretch out the muscles as I walk.  My physical therapist told me I walked like Bette Midler otherwise!

Pam