Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited October 2009

Isabella - that sounds like a great day out! and in the UK when you go 400 miles, you can see so much more, Here in Ontario, we'd see a lot of "rocks and trees and water" as the song by the Arrogant Worms says. You went on the trip I meant to go on before this health nonsense. I still mean to go to the UK.

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited October 2009

Isabella, that sounds like an absolutely lovely day. 

Best to all. Mandy

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited October 2009

Gram of 3......I hope they gave you some cream or something for the rad burns!  When I got to where I had trouble wearing bras, I went to the lingerie section of Bergner's (or any other department store in the area) and purchased Cuddle Duds.  They come in all different varieties from T-shirt style to camosoles and SO SOFT.  They felt good against my skin.  Also, congrats on the good news. 

It HAS been cold and rainy in Central Illinois.  Hey, it's too soon for this weather!  The furnace even kicked on yesterday morning!

Hugs to all of you and prayers for Mother of 7.

I walked in the Chicago Susan G. Komen walk this past weekend with several of the girls on the Illinois thread.  It was awesome and my back held out well.  Besides being awesome, it was so emotional to see all those pink shirts and the people who were supporting them.  I'm sure they made LOTS of money for the cure.

Well, I still have a load of clothes to fold... and yes, a few of them will go in the ironing pile, I'm sure.  I can't heat up that iron without chuckling anymore after our ongoing ironing discussion.

Everyone have a good Thursday.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited October 2009

Isabella, I enjoyed reading about your day out.  Read it aloud to dh, who is sitting over at his computer.  Whereabouts in Eng. do you live? 

I played golf today with a friend.  The weather was lovely.  Humidity not too high.  Temperature in the 70's and rising to 80.  Sunshine.  Gorgeous blue, blue sky.  Not a single cloud.  Was getting pooped out on the back 9 but perservered.  We went to lunch afterwards and I drank a delicious frosty draft beer, light, of course!  It was almost mid-afternoon so I didn't eat dinner tonight.  Warmed up leftovers for dh. 

My rack in the laundry room is filling up with hanging clothes.  I'll be setting up the ironing board one day soon and being VERY careful not to trip on it! 

On Oct. 20 there's a ladies golf tournament whose profits will go to breast cancer research.  I'd like to play in it but I wouldn't be much of a partner for anyone.  I may just donate the amount of the entry fee.

Tomorrow is my day to take my mother to her hair apptment. 

A few games of Spider and I'm off to bed.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,265
    edited October 2009

Isabella.....your jaunt sounds like it was marvelous.  Dh and I used to do the same thing.  Growing up here my folks did not have a car till I was in the 8th. grade.  We walked everywhere, and even after the car....it was used to go get groceries on Saturday in town.  At 54 when we moved back home here Dh would always ask....where's Odin, or Kell, or Ashley and what is there?  There are many many little communities around but I had never been to any......so that was our project for the first several years.  Every time we had time, we would just pick a direction and start driving --- never caring where we ended up, as long as we were exploring.  It's not huge, but I found out southern Illinois is a lot bigger than I ever thought. 

Went and had my 6 mo. mammograms today and the tech said all was great.  I don't have to go back for a year now.  Hooray.  Ater a couple years that 6 mo. check starts to get wearing....so just in time I can cut back.

It has not rained here though I think it will soon.  Mighty chilly though and I expect that the furnace will be needed sooner rather than later.....probably for sure if it rains.  I'm wondering how "strange" this winter might be since the Spring and Summer were both surprising.  Hope it is not too bad. 

Well, I'm off to make the morning coffee and into jammies.

Hugs, Jackie

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited October 2009
    Carole.....just go ahead and play in that ladies golf tourney for BC.  Nobody is going to worry about how well you do. They'll just all be glad that you're able to play and support a cause that's so important to you...........and to all of them.  Besides, I envy you because our golf weather is about over.  I can do the cool temps but I haven't played in November for years because the snow often messes up the course!Smile  However, if it does happen to be nice when you come to Illinois for Thanksgiving, I might just break my November "no golf streak" and play a round with you!  I'm so glad that you're out on the course and having fun!
  • kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited October 2009

Isabella - that drive sounds wonderful!  I have frequently gone on little drives because I had gotten myself lost.  No sense of direction.  None.  After so many years I have learned to sit back and enjoy the jaunt.  I have walked into a store in the mall only to walk back in the same direction I just came from.  A friend once commented on why she would follow me expressing her knowledge of my lack of sense of direction and then said "but you always look like you know where you're going!"

Jackie - great news regarding your mammogram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JO - snow flies early your way.  Now that my balance is so precarious, I want to move somewhere without snow and especially without ice.  You be careful out there.

I do remember being at my aunt's apartment in DC when it started snowing those large, fluffy flakes coming fast that means a significant amount of snow.  The shortest way home is through Rock Creek Park.  Back in the day, they preserved as much of the woodland as they could and when driving in Rock Creek you would never know that you are driving in the middle of the city.  On the way through the park I had to stop and watch as the snow fell on the trees and road turning it into a winter wonderland.  It was awesome - it took my breath away. 

• illinoislady
    edited October 2009

Love hearing about those of you who have no sense of direction.  Neither do I and sometimes it is frustrating.  Most of the time I can relax but always feels funny to have my passenger in the car have to tell me where I'm going.  It seems to come natural to so many people....but I still often struggle with figuring out my directions based on where I am.  Sadder yet is that even left and right don't always come automatic pilot for me.  Talk about making a spectacle of yourself on occasion  I always cover that up by saying " Now you know why I waited so late in life to learn to drive ", but it does make one feel funny.  Denny ( Dh ) seems to just know....at least I was smart enough to marry someone who didn't have those problems.

Not much of a summer here in southern Illinois either and I'm really wondering.  May be at least a 2-dog night here. 

See you all later.

Hugs, Jackie

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited October 2009

I live quite near to the lovely old city of York....my hometown.

I would like to live a lot nearer than I do now, maybe when I get totally decrepit I will move back there. As it is at the moment I can be right in the centre of the town, parked up, and ready to shop, in 25 minutes Laughing

Yesterday I drove all thru Derbyshire...those hills are to die for...and the views...just unbelievable. I got across into Cheshire...flat and green ! and bobbed in and out of corners of  Nottinghamshire  and Lincolnshire ! The scale is like Lilliput for you girls I'd imagine. I was absolutely gobsmacked when I visited USA twice a few years ago, at the enormous scale of everything.

I am really paying today for my jaunt....chomping on pain killers to just get me thru . I didn't (couldn't !!) get out of bed 'til 9.00am, could have stayed there all day ! I have stiffened up, could do with a zimmer this morning !! With rushing my work yesterday to get away for the day I left a lot of 'stuff '. I have lots of dog kennels to clean out daily, yesterday some that weren't too bad got left, and this morning 'doggy do' was flattened to the floor all over, and took me ages to scrape it all away. ( TMI?)Laughing

DH took pity on me when I hit the LAST pen (at 1.30 pm) and came to help me, I wasn't too pleased with him ! Told him to go inside and get some breakfast on, and what do I get ? Flippin' toast ! I was expecting bacon and eggs at least.

This afternoon more driving......I had to deliver a dog back to its owners....not too far away so not a long drive, but I had to put clean clothes and some fresh slap on before I ventured out, I looked a wreck !!!

Am having another early night tonight.

Isabella.

• Motherof7
    Motherof7 Member Posts: 135
    edited October 2009

To All You Ladies:

I would like to than each ans everyone of you who prayed for my nephew, Keith, his operation went pretty good, his gall bladder was really infected. His enzymes are up and they are checking to see if his liver was affected. So please pray everything will turn out o.k.

JO, Gramof3,kmccraw423: Thank each one of you for your prayers and kind words.You are three very special ladies.

I am exhausted, I have been in my camper all day long trying to clean it up for our trip. Thank the Lord, my sister was here and she helped me clean it.I thnk Jesus for giving me such a good sister.

Tomorrow, I have to go and have my heart checked, the Herceptin can mess up your heart, so they check it about every two to three months.

Guess I will close for now, I need to get some rest.

Hope you all have a very blessed evening.

• Motherof7
    edited October 2009

To All You Ladies:

I would like to than each ans everyone of you who prayed for my nephew, Keith, his operation went pretty good, his gall bladder was really infected. His enzymes are up and they are checking to see if his liver was affected. So please pray everything will turn out o.k.

JO, Gramof3,kmccraw423: Thank each one of you for your prayers and kind words.You are three very special ladies.

I am exhausted, I have been in my camper all day long trying to clean it up for our trip. Thank the Lord, my sister was here and she helped me clean it.I thnk Jesus for giving me such a good sister.

Tomorrow, I have to go and have my heart checked, the Herceptin can mess up your heart, so they check it about every two to three months.

Guess I will close for now, I need to get some rest.

Hope you all have a very blessed evening.

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited October 2009

Praying that your nephew Keith gets a clean bill of health.

• kmccraw423
    edited October 2009

Good governor - who said old age is not for sissies!

Isabella - I was going to ask you if driving that long hurts but I guess you answered that for me today!  I'm sorry.  I can't even drive 50 miles without having to put the car on cruise control - my leg will hurt so much.  My family is aging and I have asked them _remember when we got in and out of the car in silence - now everyone is moaning and groaning and trying to staighten up!

Mother - still praying - glad he made it through surgery and praying all his tests come back normal.  As Jo said - YOU take it easy too.  Many hugs.

JO - boy, do I know about locking up - these all knees and back are getting very fussy.

And - just for fun ---

You know you're getting old when the bank sends your their free calendar - one month at a time!

Cheers ladies.

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited October 2009

Kathleen...driving does not hurt me at all, I am in a sitting position, and feel like I am young again....thats fine, until I get out, you should see me. I usually get a really bad attack of the cramps. I have to pretend to fiddle about with my seat as I crawl out, or, if I get as far as the back door I have to hang half in, half out of my boot (trunk?? ! ) while the cramp passes down my legs, and I can walk upright.  Sometimes I won't park if I can't get a place away from the shop doors....I don't want anyone calling an ambulance on me !!  DH says 'don't start that performance again' he thinks I am doing it for effect...if only !! Thats why I usually go off on my trips alone !!! At least I can look like a spastic on my own !!!

Talking of DH's...and today not DEAR H. On Monday, early morning, DH unplugged a big chest freezer in the garage ....know where this is going ????? !!...Yes, he forgot to plug it back in, discovered it at t/time today, over 4 days unplugged. He came storming in the house ranting and raving, waving his arms all over the place, and BLAMED ME. It was my fault for filling it up, I am chuckling to myself at this excuse, one of his best yet ! I put bl**dy food in it would you believe ??? He 'has told me time and time again not to fill it up' I cannot get an answer from him as to what I should be putting in a big chest freezer in the back of a garage...bird food, spare car parts !!! We are not talking as I write, and I can't tell who's winning !!!! He is huffing at me for having the stupidity to put frozen food in a freezer, and I am puffing at him for being so brainless to try and blame me because he forgot to plug it back in.

Oh, and what makes it worse is, he unplugged the freezer to wash MY car, with the pressure washer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So that, in his eyes, makes me even more responsible !!!!!!!!! Any wonder I am drinking whisky and lemonade right now?

Hope everyone has a peaceful w/end. I know I will DH doesn't like to be wrong, so it will be next Monday when he had a hospital appointment he will have to talk to me, he needs me to use my parking permit to get him to the front of the car park......I will be a bi8ch, amd make him ask !!

Isabella.

• Motherof7
    edited October 2009

Ladies, Thanks for all your prayers, you ladies on here are the greatest!!!! And yes, we do all care about each other on this site, I know we all feel bad when one of us falls or gets bad news from the doctor, and we are so excited when one of us gets good news.

I won't know anything about my heart until the 7th of October when I see my cancer doctor, I also have to get Herceptin that day, and like I said before I am just no good at all after i get the Herceptin, I just sleep about all day long.

My husband told me yesterday that I was pushing myself a little too hard, he said to take it a little easier, I said if I don't get this done it won't get done, he said the cleaning is not going anywhere and if people doesn't like the way the camper looks, they can look the other way. But let me tell you, he spent three days cleaning the outside. With the help of my sister, we got the inside clean, but I really was really exhausted. I think I may have overdone it. I will not do that much in one day again.

I hope to get caught up on this thread and meet all you new ladies as soon as I get back from Blairsville, GA. I want to also thank Deborye for all your prayers for my nephew.

Need to get some clothes out of the dryer, and rest a little I have to cook tomorrow, we are having homecoming at church on Sunday. I am only going to make roast beef and a banana pudding, or at least I think that is all I'm going to do, hubby has already told me he doesn't want me to overexert myself.

Talk to you all later. I pray you all have a great and blessed evening.

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited October 2009

oh Isabella - for those of us not living right in the middle of the story about your DH and your freezer, it is hilarious. There is some special gene some people (mostly, but not exclusively men) have that helps them blame someone else for their own misdeeds. What a lot of energy it must take to come up with such convoluted explanations! I hope there is more than one whiskey and lemonade for you.

• kmccraw423
    edited October 2009

Isabella ... you take your DH's antics so well ... I am afraid I would have killed him by now!  Of course, patience was never one of my virtues.  I say if you can't do it well and immediately then get out of my way so I can do it!  You take it easy - let DH do housework.  I am assuming when he tells you not to do housework, he's not jumping in to do it.  My take on housework is the same as Ms. Diller - put in 25 watt light bulbs and let it go!

Isabella - Your post was so familiar.  I once worked at a place that was 30 miles away (one way) amd I would pray when I parked and I had to get out of the car that I would not run into any co-workers whilel I was trying to get out of the car and straighten up.  With the shoulder replacement it is even more comical.  I long for the days when everything worked.

Edited to get the name of the right person (Isabella) with the right story!

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited October 2009

Funny story, now that is is over, Isabella.  Maybe you can put a surge protector strip with multiple outlets where the freezer plugs in, so if you need to plug something else, the freezer stays on.   

Hugs for all,   Nancy 

• kmccraw423
    edited October 2009

I think we should change the name of this topic from "older" to "seasoned."

• illinoislady
    edited October 2009

Hysterically funny is all I can say.  Isabella, you have missed your calling.  You should be writing.  Men can be so "funny" about what they don't wish to admit.  Laughing  I so often think of my brother-in-laws who "know" everything and seem to want to make sure lots of other people do too.  I resist the URGE Innocent now and then to say:  I'm so thrilled that you know more than anyone as I know it's an awesome responsibility, and I'm so fortunate that you want to make sure to share some of this profound knowledge with me.  The good Lord has been kind and helped me stay silent....hope I always will, but I wouldn't bet much on it.  I know for a fact that they tend to make up what they don't know because I'm married to their brother.  Now we are really not going to say I said that...RIGHTFoot in mouth.

Hope you all have a wonderful Saturday.....

Hugs, Jackie

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2009

Isabella, that is a funny story about your DH.  I've been feeling a little down today for some reason and that laugh has really helped.  Thanks.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited October 2009

Morning all from a damp NZ spring morning, we have had enough rain this last week.

Have popped in to read but haven't had time to write as DH has been in hospital with heart problems. Because his angiogram was cancelled on Friday - there was an emergency - he is home for the weekend but has to be back at 7 on Monday morning, thats tomorrow here. They will then decide when they are going to do a valve replacement and if any by-passes are needed as well. So its been a busy week.

As well as that I did the bouquets for my great niece's wedding which was yesterday. That was a three hour drive each way. I am tired today.  DH and I have decided to skip church today.

Called in on a friend of my sister's yesterday and was able to reassure her that she will be able to cope with the chemo and radiation therapy that she is facing. She had tumours in both breasts and positive nodes each side.

Must get organised as MiL is coming in shortly.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Alyson

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited October 2009

Isabella, your story about your DH had me giggling out loud.  It was just what I needed! 

And good wishes to everyone on this thread. I know I would miss someone if I tried to list you all.

Mandy

• kmccraw423
    edited October 2009

One evening a friend's husband decided the grass needed to be watered.  She was tired and went to bed early.  The last she saw him he was in a lawn chair with the hose in one hand and a beer in the other.  And that's the way she found him in the morning, sound asleep, beside the small lake he created with the hose throughout the night.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited October 2009

Speaking of driving... we are half way thru our trip to Oklahoma. Start home tomorrow.  It was supposed to be more leisurely but we drove 663 miles one day!   More later.

Pam 

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited October 2009

Chooks,

Still giggling from Kathleen and Isabella's stories! 

Motherof7--I agree with your DH and JO--you are a caring, loving woman--now take care not to overexert yourself.  My house is living proof that the housework will wait until you feel better! 

I have one more regular rad on Monday, then will start the boosts. The onc gave me numbing cream (aquaphor plus lidocaine)--which has helped me deal with the burn, but am looking forward to this being over.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.  It's cool here--chili weather.  I miss the smell of all the leaf burning we did when I was a kid--pre EPA!

• illinoislady
    edited October 2009

Kathleen...another hysterical funny story.  I can scarce imagine being able to stay alsleep for that long while you watered, however many of those sleep machines you buy have water/ocean sounds etc.  That must have been it.  I'd like to know what HE thought when he finally woke up. 

Helen, we can still burn leaves out where we live though the city has banned burning in town except for pre-selected times.  So many people with allergies to smoke so City Council put it up for only a couple days a week.  Amazing how many people in this part of the country have or get COPD.  Sure hope I never do.  We don't burn too much here in our part of the woods.  Not much open area here, but many around us do so we get the smell.  It does bring back lots of memories for sure. 

Hope you all have a great Sunday,

Hugs, Jacki.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited October 2009

Kathleen, your story made me laugh! 

Overcast and gloomy here today.  Chance of rain 90 percent. 

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited October 2009

JO, I also heard or read that adding fresh garlic to things, like potatoes,eggs, salads, helps a lot.   If nothing else, it will keep ppl away during the upcoming flu season...!!!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2009

JO, is that in regular grocery stores, health food stores or where can it be purchased?