Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Iodine, thyroid, and breast cancer??

Options

Comments

• anondenet
    anondenet Member Posts: 261
    edited December 2009
    Options
  • cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited March 2009
    Options
    It seems like that post went a bit off topic. Frown  This iodine supplement seems like a very reasonable dietary supplement.  I guess I'm just wondering for those of you taking if you are being monitored by your doctor or had additional urine tests, etc.  I'm wondering if okay for me to simply take low dose on my own the way I supplement with calcium, vitamin D, etc.?  My doctors do not discuss specific supplement details and amounts (not their area of expertise and I think they make very general recommendations as CYA).
  • althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited March 2009
    Options

I am taking iodoral supplements and have been for about 3 months.  I took some other iodine supplements last year when I first began to realize my thyroid is underactive and my internist is zero help on this matter.  My friend's chiropractor suggested iodine supplements, and for roughly 90 days I took 18mg a day. Fatigue is my biggest complaint, and I seem to be on a neverending list of elimination of find something that will perk me up again.  

I've decided that I will need to travel to find a doctor who will actually be of help to me regarding my thyroid.  I live at the end of the earth.  I'm winging my supplements without any doctor supervision.  

• Hindsfeet
    Hindsfeet Member Posts: 675
    edited March 2009
    Options

I learned a few days ago that too much iodine can suppress your thyroid??? Not sure, but this is what I was told. I would like to check this out further. I have been taking Armour, Iodoral, and Kale. My n.d. asked me to stop taking Iodoral as its messing up my thyroid test.

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2009
    Options

I've been taking Iodoral for all most two years.  No side effects or problems

Flalady

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited March 2009
    Options

barry, I've heard that about kale, but not about iodine.  The cruciferous veggies contain goitrigens, which interfere with iodine absorption.  I can give up cabbage without batting an eye, but I sure do like spinach.  I finally ditched all the cruciferous veggies I was putting in my daily juice mix. 

btw, barry, you mentioned somewhere that taking your armour with food was decreasing its effectiveness.  I've been taking what I think is a similar supplement, thyroplex, in hopes that my thyroid will get into gear.  After reading your post, I started taking that one on an empty stomach, and I'm finally feeling almost perky.  It's been such a long time, it's almost like culture shock.  

• Hindsfeet
    edited March 2009
    Options

Florilady...are you also taking thyroid meds with Iodoral? This may sound really stupid..but is there iodine in Armour. I know Armour is T3 & T4. I don't see how iodine would hurt a low thyroid. Isn't Kale basically Iodine?

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

Nope...I don't have any thyroid issue...but I'm also triple negative...you think that what may me different than you guys?  Other may know better but I think Iodoral has something in it to help you absorb it easier and also in higher quantity that you could ever eat it??

Flalady

I take it for breast health only.

• sunkistmi
    sunkistmi Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2009
    Options

Good evening ladies,

I just wanted to put in my two cents worth on this issue since I can speak to both the thyroid and BC issues.  When I was 21, after returning from my honeymoon in September, my internst felt a small lump in my neck around the thyroid.  They sent me for the radioactive scan, which came back normal.  He said to "watch it" but didn't seem to think there was a problem since the scan came back OK.  In January, at my regular checkup, he seemed surprised to still find the lump.  Again, he sent me for a scan and again, it came back normal.  In May, I was looking in the mirror and noticed that it seemed I could see the lump "better".  Back to the doc, another scan, another normal but this time, he said he just wasn't comfortable and wanted to do a biopsy.  OK not a problem.  I went into surgery and woke up with people not wanting to talk around me.  2nd day, this doc walks in, says "you have thyroid cancer.  We took out your thyroid and 3 of your parathyroids.  We'll let you know about treatment when we get the results of the pathology" and walked out!  I didn't even know there was such a thing as thyroid cancer!  It was a good thing my mother was there and it explained why no one wanted to make any phone calls to family from the room.  Turns out the the kind of cancer I had was the middle type (I don't remember the name) but it is usually caused by radiation exposure at a very young age.  They kept asking my mom if I had ever been exposed or radiated as a child.  She said "no".  I had to have total body scans for 10 years because this type of thyroid cancer can grow back in the internal organs and bones.

There is another kind that there is basically no follow-up or treatment for and they say that if you have to have cancer, this is the kind to have.  The other thyroid cancer usually kills you within 2-6 months of dx.  I did not have any kind of radioactive therapy since they felt they had removed everything during surgery.  At first I was put on the Armour but subsequently put on synthyroid because it was felt that the natural thyroid did not have the same 'evenness' of delivery and years ago, I think there was quality control issues with the bovine extract.  I have not noticed any side effects from taking the synthetic for 33 years now.  They have had to adjust the dosage as I have gone thru menopause and I tend to need more than what is "recommended" to keep me feeling right.  I do make sure I use iodized salt but don't take any other supplements other than my multi-vitamin.

In 2006 I was dx with high-grade DCIS w/comedo and had a mast w/SIEA recon of right breast.  I decided not to do a bilateral at that time because of the small chance of it reaccuring in the left and I did not want to take off a healthy breast.  Dx with high-grade DCIS in left breast in 5/08 resulting in mast w/TUG recon.  Boy did I relive my decision in 2006 but try now not to beat myself up about the decisions I made.

I had not heard of any coorelation between thyroid and breast cancer, of course I did not find this website until May of '08.  My mother died of BC in 1986 after fighting for almost 5 years.  In the end, it met to the bone and brain.  Also about 10 years ago, I found out thru a TV report "remembering the A-bomb" test they did in the NV desert back in 1954.  I was 18 months old and in a small town in Utah when the cloud went over us.  We drank the water, the milk from the cows, and ate the food from the garden.  Of the 3 in my family that were there, my mother died of BC, my dad died of pancreatic cancer and I had a thyroid cancer that they usually NEVER see in someone my age (at 21) and then breast cancer 34 years later.  My greataunt and uncle who's farm we were staying at both died of cancer.  It was just interesting to finally find out that I "had been exposed to radiation" after thinking for so long there was no way.

After my first dx, it was suggested that I have genetic testing since my fathers sister and mother both died of ovarian cancer and my sister had colon cancer.  I was SURE it was going to come back positive and was absolutely floored when the counselor said that they were all random and a coincidence.  I know in my heart that they are somehow related but it just didn't show up.  I run like that with tests, i.e. my normal thyroid scans for almost a year.

I have so appreciated the depth of research that the sisters go into and the facts they are so willing to share.  I have learned so much.  Personally, I don't think my thyroid and bc were related but will never know for sure.  I know I was really relieved when I was thru with the 10 years of scans and nothing had shown up, since my mom was dx during that time period.

I wish the best for all my bc sisters and keep all in thoughts and prayers.  Sorry if this is too long but I did want to weigh into the discussion since I had been thru both.  Take care everyone.

Blessings,

Wendy

• ann-idiot
    ann-idiot Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2009
    Options

Haven't been on this thread in a bit, you people have come up with some interesting stuff here. My thyroid has been my Achilles heel for years and i truly believe there is some kind of connection between misbehaving thyroids and breast cancers

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited March 2009
    Options

I just want to say how great it has been lately that we are all able to share info on this very important thread without the problems we have had in the past. A lot of people have chimed in with a lot of great information and I think we are all learning a lot. I really appreciate all you for taking part. We are truly on a journey of discovery here, and who knows, maybe will find enough answers to actually help ourselves and others.

As anom said, maybe some of you might also consider taking the idodine loading test through bcaction.org. I sent my urine sample in for analysis last week, and I am hoping it will help me to shed light on the subject. I like that I can call bcaction for an interpretation. I also have my doctor here, who will help me to decide about any other hormone therapy if needed.

Thanks to you wendy for telling us your story. I never had any thyroid problems before rads, and I am convinced that my low thyroid is because of it. I never knew there was a link between thyroid problems and radiation. I sure wish they would have been more forthcoming with this information before we are told we need rads. I was not told any of this.

I will share with you all my results when I get them, and I hope you all will continue to weigh in on this very important issue.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2009
    Options

I did the iodine loading test, and am taking 1 Iordol pill a day. No issues.

I had my Iodine loading results sent to both my GP and my ONC. I am not sure either of them know what to do about it! LOL. I am taking the pill. I am wondering, though, (and I haven't read all these pages yet) Do any of you have an opinion if Kelp or some seaweed supliment has any benefits over the Iordol? 

I was diagnosed hypothyroid years ago and have been on synthroid. I go back to GP mid summer for another Thyroid follow up test, and I'll have been taking the Iordol, so it will be interesting to see if there is any change. 

Spring.

• anondenet
    edited March 2009
    Options

Barry,

You may need to talk to an "iodine literate" practitioner about how to interpret your thyroid tests when supplementing iodine. The interpretation can be different. Dr. Flechas has written an article on it.

But why don't you avail yourself of Breast Cancer Choices' free Iodine loading test where you get a free quick phone consult with Dr. Flechas himself about the results? He is one of the best thyroidologists in the world. See  www.breastcancerchoices.org/iproject

Anom

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2009
    Options

Anom,

I have done the loading test through BCchoices. How do you get the free quick phone consult? That was not obvious to me. Both my onc and GP have the test results, but they both seem clueless about it.

Spring.

• anondenet
    edited March 2009
    Options

<

Springtime,

In David Brownstein's book, Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It,

I believe he warns against kelp/seaweed supplements. They often contain contaminants from the polluted oceans such as arsenic. People have ended up in the emergency room from seaweed supplements. A lot of people report hives from these supplements.

Your brand may be okay but you never know what your getting with seaweeds.

Anom

• anondenet
    edited March 2009
    Options

Spring,

Contact BC Choices. They'll give you his phone number and how to set up the phone call.

Anom

• Hindsfeet
    edited March 2009
    Options
    thanks...I'll connect with www.breastcancerchoices.org/iproject. I'm here because I'm new at this. I'm not for sure what's going on. Likewise I appreciate all the imput and wisdom.
  • Hindsfeet
    edited March 2009
    Options

I'm posting this because I probably was taking too much idodine. I didn't think you could get too much. This is probably why my naturalpathic doctor asked me not to take Iodoral when taking the Armour.  

Iodine Excess     The New England Journal of Medicine

On the other side of the controversy is the recognition that excessive iodine can trigger autoimmune thyroid disease and hypothyroidism.

According to animal studies, high iodine intake can initiate and worsen infiltration of the thyroid by lymphocytes. Lymphocytes are white blood cells that accumulate due to chronic injury or irritation. In addition, large amounts of iodine block the thyroid's ability to make hormone.

In this New England Journal study, researchers, led by Dr. Weiping Teng, of China Medical University in Shenyang, looked at the thyroid effects of giving supplemental to three separate groups: people who were mildly iodine-deficient, those with adequate iodine intake, and those with excessive iodine intake. They found that giving iodine to people who had adequate or excessive iodine intake could lead to hypothyroidism autoimmune thyroiditis.

In the study, researchers found that the primary risk factors for continuing subclinical hypothyroidism included:

• TSH above 6
    • High levels of antithyroid antibody (thyroid peroxidase antibody or thyroglobulin antibody)
    • A shift in iodine intake from mildly deficient to more than adequate
    They also found that the key risk factors for new subclinical hypothyroidism in people who started with normal thyroid function included:
    • TSH level greater than 2
    • High antithyroid antibody levels
    • A shift in iodine intake from mildly deficient to more than adequate, or excessive iodine intake
    The researchers concluded:
    ...although iodine supplementation should be implemented to prevent and treat iodine-deficiency disorders, supplementation should be maintained at a safe level. Levels that are more than adequate (median urinary iodine excretion, 200 to 299 µg per liter) or excessive (median urinary iodine excretion, >300 µg per liter) do not appear to be safe, especially for susceptible populations with either potential autoimmune thyroid diseases or iodine deficiency. Supplementation programs should be tailored to the particular region. No iodine supplementation should be provided for regions in which iodine intake is sufficient, whereas salt in regions in which iodine intake is deficient should be supplemented with iodine according to the degree of iodine deficiency.
    Prev Next
  • Hindsfeet
    edited March 2009
    Options

two very interesting videos... :)

http://vhttp://video.about.com/thyroid/Thyroid-Disease.htm

ideo.about.com/thyroid/Thyroglobulin-Protein.htm

• jembs
    jembs Member Posts: 161
    edited March 2009
    Options

Wow, what alot of information. I had always wondered if there was any connection between thyroid and bc.  I was diagnosed with hypo 1 year after bc dx.  I had finished chemo, rads and was part way through herceptin.  My pcp dx with routine blood tsh 96.8, 

I was told it could have been from the chemo, rads (I was radiated quite high) or 'just a natural progression'.  I have been taking synthroid for 2 years. Interesingly my tsh runs around 3. 

I asked about iodine supplements because my acupunturist and dr of chineese medicine did a stain and felt I needed a supplement.  My onco would like a more scientific test.  Does anyone know of a blood test that measures iodine? 

• anondenet
    edited March 2009
    Options

<

For anyone interested in any aspect of using iodine as a therapy, there is an online group of 2500 people. Many of them are practitioners or patients who have studied all the aspects of thyroid tests, urine tests, etc.

They have been able to answer questions very authoritatively. Go to:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/iodine/

• lamti
    lamti Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2009
    Options

I have a goiter for my whole life.  Everytime I went for a blood test, it's in normal range.  I am searching for a reason why I am the only one in my whole family(father and mother side) had breast cancer DCIS, the only thing I am different from them I am the only one who has a goiter. 

First I bought Kelp supplement from store, but my body won't tolerate, I had diarrea.  It's the raw kelp uncooked to cause the diarrea.  So right now I buy sushi sheet, they are roasted seaweed sheet to make Sushi.  No diarrea ever since.  I don't worry to get too much iodine.  Look at Japanese woman, every single day how much seaweed they consume. 

They start their day with a bowl of seaweed soup, then sushi for lunch and dinner, seaweed for snack(taste good to me, I bought them in whole pack, inside 100 little packs, cost $8.99 in oriental stores, product of Japan)  Thank goodness my daughter likes it very much, this will be the snack I am very happy to buy for her.

• Hindsfeet
    edited March 2009
    Options
    http://wwwSupplement Strategy: Iodine       Incrediable Article...must read!
    What if there was a nutrient which accomplished the following?

1. Desensitized estrogen receptors in the breast.
      2. Reduced estrogen production in overactive ovaries.
      3. Reduced fibrocystic breast disease (FDB) which often  precedes breast cancer4. Caused more cell death than the chemo drug Fluorouracil .
      5. Prevented rats from getting cancer when they were fed the breast cancer             causing toxin DMBA.
    .breastcancerchoices.org/iodine 
  • Deirdre1
    Deirdre1 Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2009
    Options

Thanks barry I'll take a look!  Best

• Hindsfeet
    edited July 2009
    Options

I thought others like myself may not realize how harmful too much iodine might be to the body, and we should take it under our naturalpathic doctor's guidance.

Iodine Excess

On the other side of the controversy is the recognition that excessive iodine can trigger autoimmune thyroid disease and hypothyroidism.

According to animal studies, high iodine intake can initiate and worsen infiltration of the thyroid by lymphocytes. Lymphocytes are white blood cells that accumulate due to chronic injury or irritation. In addition, large amounts of iodine block the thyroid's ability to make hormone.

In this New England Journal study, researchers, led by Dr. Weiping Teng, of China Medical University in Shenyang, looked at the thyroid effects of giving supplemental to three separate groups: people who were mildly iodine-deficient, those with adequate iodine intake, and those with excessive iodine intake. They found that giving iodine to people who had adequate or excessive iodine intake could lead to hypothyroidism autoimmune thyroiditis.

...although iodine supplementation should be implemented to prevent and treat iodine-deficiency disorders, supplementation should be maintained at a safe level.

Also, watch out for the so-called "thyroid support" vitamin and supplement formulas, including the heavily marketed and promoted Alvidar. Most, like Alvidar, include substantial amounts of iodine, and if you are not iodine-deficient, they can end up having the unintended and opposite effect of actually making your symptoms worse, and aggravating your thyroid condition.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/newscontroversies/a/toomuchiodine_2.htm

• anondenet
    edited December 2009
    Options

Barry,

With all due respect to your doctor, she is using the information she learned in medical school that is the "previous thinking." You will find that thinking all over the net and that thyroid.about.com website is the worst promoter of bad information.

Please hear me out.

Armour Thyroid is 80% T4 and 20% T3. When you supplement Iodine, one third of the people need to REDUCE their Armour dosage.  One third need to STOP Armour because their thyroids are doing well enough on just iodine. The other third don't seem to change.

Thyroid hormones can block thyroid uptake which is why you need to stop taking them days before before you have a radioactive iodine scan of the thyroid.

You don't want to be blocking iodine uptake to your breasts. That is why breast cancer patients supplement iodine first and reduce Armour if needed.

<

• Hindsfeet
    edited July 2009
    Options

I'm also taking kelp. Does kelp give you enough iodine or should I continue the drops? What about the iodoral? How much is too much? When does it become toxic and how do you know?

What about the claims of too much making you hypothyroidism?

• FloridaLady
    edited April 2009
    Options

I talk to my Mom this week and she has been on all kinds of drugs for very high cholesterol (her liver makes way to much) and osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.  She was told a few years ago her thyroid was way out of wack. She started having some major issues with her skin and extreme hot burning in her body.  Finally the doctor told her to stop all meds and let her body detox and try and balance it's self.

Re-did the blood work again...thyroid was normal and cholesterol was still high.  I think they have made her body so toxic over the last ten years that her immune system is breaking down now.  She gets every flu that goes around and she is having one symptom after another. But at least the thyroid has improved.

Flalady

• anondenet
    edited April 2009
    Options

Barry,

Thyroid hormones block iodine uptake in radioactive iodine scans. I didn't say blood tests.

I think your confusion will disappear if you:

1. Take the Iodine Loading Test and consult with Dr. Flechas (which if you have breast cancer) will be paid for by Breast Cancer Choices. See www.breastcancerchoices.org/iproject

2. Read Dr. David Brownstein's book on Iodine. You might even do that first. Go to http://www.drbrownstein.com/ and order it. I think it costs $15.

3. Join the Iodine Group on Yahoo. They will answer all your questions. There are 2500 iodine takers and some practitioners there. Go to http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/iodine/

Kelp is filled with arsenic and other contaminants so I wouldn't take anything but what the iodine literate doctors use-- Iodoral.

Please let us know how you like Dr. Brownstein's book!

Anom

• Hindsfeet
    edited April 2009
    Options

anomdenet, thank you. I do appreciate the info.  I will stop taking the kelp. That was the only suppliment my n.d. approved. hmmm. I will order the book today. Hope I can wrap my brain around all this. I did go over to the website you recommended.

Have you heard anything about the breast health vitamins. I heard they are expensive. do they work?