Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Iodine, thyroid, and breast cancer??

Options

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2009
    Options

Vivre,

I am not sure I ever got my results, or If I did, I can't find them! I will have to ask about this...

Anomdenet, can you give a link to the other group you're on?

• anondenet
    anondenet Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hi Spring,

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/iodine/

This is a large group with a number of patients, naturopaths and other practitioners on it. A lot of people, including breast cancer patients, report their test results and which lab they went to.

The group moderator, Stephanie, had thyroid cancer, fibrocystic breasts and ovarian cysts all resolve from taking iodine. She is a patient of Dr. Brownstein and helped edit his book.

The premise is, if you have a disease which develops primarily from a deficiency, treat the deficiency as an essential part of your treatment strategy.

<

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited May 2009
    Options

Thanks anom. I will send that link to my doctor. She really is trying to treat the deficiency and I know she will check it out. When I walked in her office and saw a picture of her with SS, I knew I had finally found a doctor who is on my wavelength.

• luckofthedraw
    luckofthedraw Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2009
    Options

Vivre--sorry to hear about your kitty.  :( 

My loading level was 36, and my saturation was 72%.  Good luck!

• vivre
    edited May 2009
    Options

I finally got around to talking to Dr. Flechas about my iodine loading results. So I am going to start taking 50mg iodine/day and atp cofactor.

Anom-do you start with a high dose or work up to it? Do you take a morning temp to see if it is working? Is is possible to buy it in a single tab? What is the best source to buy it? I wish I could find it locally. I do not like ordering over the net.

I thought this was a great article:

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/iodine.html

• anondenet
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi Vivre,

I would start with one tablet (12.5 mg) Iodoral and work up to 50 mg. Some people can go right to 50 mg with no problem. But most people seem to like to go slower and build up so if you get any side effects you can pace yourself.

If you don't want to order over the internet you can pay by check (my neighbor orders from them by check) if you email them first and ask how much. I noticed the ATP still isn't on the web site but I  know they carry it because I just ordered some.

I'm so glad you had the privilege of talking to Dr. Flechas.

Thanks for sending the great link!

• Springtime
    edited May 2009
    Options

Vivre, I started on 12.5 and did that for a while. After talking to Dr. Flechas and finding out to do the ATP cofactors (2) and the 50mg, I just jumped up to 50mg. I had no issue.

I had to reorder my Iodoral recently and found a place to get a 50mg pill. (link below). I queried breastcancerchoices.org if they had a 50mg pill, (as I would like to support them) and they said no, it was often returned as being too big to swallow. Well, I ordered 50mg from another site. The 50 mg pill is exactly the same size as the ATP co factor pills, and is in no way to big to swallow!!! I find it more convenient than dealing with four teensy pills to make up 50mg. This is where I got the 50mg pills: http://www.naturamart.com/iodoral.html

Vivre, when you talked to Dr. Flechas, did you find out anything interesting that surprised you that you can share? Just curious.  Thanks for the link to the article! will book mark...

• Springtime
    edited May 2009
    Options

Oh note, when you order the ATP cofactor and read about it, it will recommned that you take 1 pill with your Iodoral. I wondered about this so contacted Dr. Flechas office, as I wondered if I had ordered some configuration that was twice the strength or something.

But no, Dr. Flechas just feels it will hasten the ability to absorb by taking 2. He told me if I was not comfortable doing that, to take 1 pill. I take 2. They are B vitamins so water soluable. 

Just wanted to add this in case you face the same confusion after reading the pamphlet with the ATP cofactors! 

• anondenet
    edited May 2009
    Options

Spring,

I was told by a Yahoo Iodine Group member that that the manufacturer reduced the size of the 50 mg Iodoral to make it easier to swallow.  So as of yesterday, Breast Cancer Choices has decided to sell it.

Do you break your 50 mg tab in half and take 25 mg twice a day?

• anondenet
    edited May 2009
    Options

Spring,

Did Dr. Flechas say anything about taking extra vitamin C?

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi ladies,

I'm doing my iodine loading test today.  I feel like a bit of a dolt because I started taking iodoral late last December and all this time I've been thinking I take 50 mg/day.  When noticed there's only 4 tablets in the test kit for the 50 mg, a fuzzy light bulb sputtered in my brain and I realized 12.5 mg per tablet times 5 is not 50, it's 62.5!  How could I think 5 tablets equalled 50??  Evidence of brain fog no doubt.  

Anyway, what is ATP cofactor? And what kind of information did y'all get from speaking to Dr Fletchas that you found most helpful? 

• Springtime
    edited June 2009
    Options

Anomdenet, I take the pill all at once. Thanks for telling me about BCchoices! I reorder there next time. I'd like to support them.

Dr. Flechas did not recommend Vit C, but I do take a supplement of it anyway as an antioxident. 

Althea, ATP cofactor is Vit B2 and B2 I think. THey are B vitamins that help you absorb the iodine at a molecular level, according to Dr. Flechas. He was helpful as he told me the dosage, and that I need to do it forever, and what kinds of cancers could be averted. You can also ask any questions. I asked is taking this much Iodine safe? He said totally, they use a much higher concentration in asthma medicine, and have for many many years, etc. 

Just made me feel more informed about the iodoral suplements.

• vivre
    edited June 2009
    Options

I feel so lucky! The compounding pharmicist in my town, has gone to seminars by Dr. Brownstein and I can get my iodoral supplements from him. He even had Brownstien's book there, so I bought one. What a lot of great info! I won't have to order online. YEAH!

I started on 2 tabs of iodoral for the past few days, and I am upping it to 4 tomorrow. Dr. Flechas said I should take the ATP cofactor too, but I was wondering, since I already take a B complex vitamin is that enough. I am going to call the pharmacist to find out. This is the same place where I got my recommendation for a hormone doctor so I am thrilled to have this support in my community. It is like the old days, when people when to the chemist for their ailments instead of bothering the doctor. He said the FDA is always after the Compounding Pharms, trying to shut them down. I really worry if they will survive with universal health care. Once the gov gets control of our health care, they will dictate everything. Say goodbye to chiropractic and naturapathic medicine.

It is really amazing how little people know about idodine and it's benefits. It looks like a major cog in the wheel against bc, yet it is never mentioned by main stream doctors. When are these people going to get it?

• trigeek
    trigeek Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2009
    Options

My results showed that I practically dumped almost all of the iodine I ingested, so Dr. Flechas said that my body was not absorbing any of the iodine and it was just passing through.

I wrote it down a while ago but just wanted to make sure I got it right in case anyone else is being treated for the symporter deficiency.

For the first 6 weeks 50 mg iodoral + 1 ATP cofactor in the morning, again 50 mg Iodoral and 1 ATP factor in the evening.

After 6 weeks, the following 6 weeks only 50 mg Iodoral + 1 ATP cofactor.

I am pretty sure this is what he said according to my notes but wanted to see whether anyone else here was taking 100mg of iodoral daily.

Thanks,

• Springtime
    edited June 2009
    Options

Tri, wow! It sounds like you were really loooooooooow.  I was started on 2 ATP cofactors and 1 50 mg of Iodoral. I was at 59% saturated, and will retest again at the end of July.(That will be the end of three months) I imagine I will talk to Dr. Flechas again and see if he still wants me on 2 ATP cofactors after the 2nd test. He said he was hoping I would get up to 90-something saturated after 3 months. 

Virve, that is great, I wonder if the Iodoral/iodine supplement you get will be "fresher"!!!??? Would you recommend the book by Brownstein? I read this one, and found it sort of hard to digest. 

Breast Cancer and Iodine : How to Prevent and How to Survive Breast Cancer (Paperback)by David Derry (Author)

I was looking at my Mother in laws "I caps" (or was it eye caps) anyway a multiviatin specifically for eyes. It had 150MG of Iodine!!!  She has been diagnosed with Macular Degeneration. Makes me wonder what Iodine has to do with eyes, but maybe it jsut has to do with EVERY THING. 

• vivre
    edited June 2009
    Options

Spring-Yes the iodine effects the eyes. It effects everything. Dr. Brownstien's book is very easy to read, and explains it all well. I just got off the phone with my compounding pharmacy. His capsules contain a lot more ingredients besides just iodine and and iodide, which is what makes up Iodoral. I tell you, all this stuff makes my head spin! Anyway, I think I am going to have a consult with him, with all my test results and get it more specified what I should be taking and how much. He seems to think I should be adding progesterone cream too.  I think I have too many doctors, with different opinions, I need to get it all on one page! Sometimes I want to scream that there are not better answers out there. One thing he did tell me is- Do not take Arimidex!  He said it is toxic and it is terrible that women are suffering with this stuff when iodine is proven to be more preventative and non toxic(unless overdosed of course).

• Springtime
    edited June 2009
    Options

Vivre, thanks for the info on Brownstein's book, interesting about the eyes!!

I know what you mean, I wish I had a consultant who could help with all the "alternative" side of what I'm doing. I feel like I'm just learning as I go, but I gues we all are! But it seems so important, and there is no-one to help! (Onc says, eat what you want??) I may look for a Naturalist or Neutropath or something.

I mentioned Iodine to my Onc and GP and both were not "aware". The Onc's PA pretty much told me it must be sort of "out there" because they had attended the San Antonio Conference on BC and it was not mentioned there (!!!). sigh.

But there is so much, it is hard to get it all straight on my own!!!

• anondenet
    edited June 2009
    Options

Trigeek - there are a number of breast cancer patients taking 100 mg. Dr. Flechas wants those of us who don't absorb iodine well --because our iodine absorption symporters aren't working-- to take more Iodoral. At least until we start absorbing.

I was told to think of the symporters as an old, dry sponge. Water just rolls over it. Once it gets nourished with water it can absorb again.

There are some people who are iodine-deficient but have great absorption. They might get a 23% on the iodine loading test because their symporters suck up most of the 50 mg given with the test. I think these people reach saturation more easily.

I'm so glad you have started with a big dose. The longer we are iodine deficient, the weaker our breasts become over the years. I wish I had known about iodine in my 30s when I was told my breasts were just "normally" fibrocystic!

• anondenet
    edited June 2009
    Options

"The Onc's PA pretty much told me it must be sort of "out there" because they had attended the San Antonio Conference on BC and it was not mentioned there (!!!). sigh."

Spring- But iodine was mentioned at the San Antonio Symposium!  Iodine was studied by conventional researchers. Iodine is new --but not not "out there." Iodine was even published in an abstract from the conference. They used iodine in breast cancer patients between biopsy and surgery and it slowed down cancer growth and even better, it caused cell suicide (apoptosis).

From the San Antonio Breast Cancer symposium  

Iodine given to breast cancer patients for two to five weeks before surgery decreased cell proliferation and increased cell death (good) in the tumors.  

Researchers collected tissue specimens first at diagnosis and then again at surgery for evaluation. The iodine group was compared with a placebo group. Only the iodine-taking group showed the antiproliferative and cell death results.

http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs/view.php?nu=SABCS08L_215

• Springtime
    edited June 2009
    Options

Anom,

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

• althea
    edited June 2009
    Options

trigeek, thank you for sharing your test results!  I know I'll feel hugely disappointed if I find out that I haven't been absorbing all that iodine I've been taking this year.  I took some iodine supplements last year and then started taking iodoral in late december.  I have a note that I made from somewhere that iodine supplements need to be in tandem with sufficient levels of selenium, magnesium, and vitamin C. And I've been taking sublingual B complex since last November.  

My test tube went out yesterday for my iodine loading test.  Now I'm wondering how long until I have my results.  I will truly feel crushed if I learn that I'm not absorbing all this iodine I've been taking.  I subscribe to the iodine list and I've seen numerous people report how good they feel once they started taking 50 mg/day.  Here I am months later still waiting for my turn.  

• Springtime
    edited June 2009
    Options

Althea, let us know what you find out. :)  Here's hoping your absorbing like crazy!

• trigeek
    edited June 2009
    Options

Ok either I am a placebo queen or my body was starving for iodine for decades.

2 days after I started taking it I am sleeping good with no medication.

My heart rate has slowed down (it was naturally high I was told)

I am overall calmer and my acupuncturist found my pulse very  good.

Could it have an effect that quickly ?

Oh but I seem to have developed some quad muscle cramping and could not do weights could this be a side effect ?

Thanks inadvance !

• vivre
    edited June 2009
    Options

Anom-I think we all are very thankful to you for your persistance in extolling the virtues of iodine, in the face of all the naysayers. As I am finishing Dr. Brownstein's book, I am realizing the proof is substantial. I am just kicking myself that it took me so long to get the loading test done. Anyway, I feel like this is the final cog in the wheel. I am hoping that as I build up my iodine I will notice a difference. Thanks for answering the same questions over and over again, until we get it!

• althea
    edited June 2009
    Options

I also meant to say thanks to anom for letting us know iodine was discussed at the San Antonio conference. 

I just remembered that I placed a request weeks and weeks ago for Dr Brownstein's book on iodine and I'm still waiting.  Geez, I might change my username to Godot.  Seems like all I do is wait.

I also meant to ask springtime, are you sure it's not micrograms (mcg) listed on your mom's eye vitamins?  Even in the iodine group, I've never heard of anyone taking 150 mg a day.  I think even that group might think 150 mg is over the top.  

Trigeek, I've seen a lot of people report very rapid responses to their iodine supplements.  I'm envious.  I'm still as tired as ever and I really wonder if I'm losing my marbles.  I just got two overdraft notices and I feel blindsided.  Now I've got to slog through checkbook balances.  I even upped my iodine dose a couple of months ago to see if that would make a difference.  At the time I thought I had upped it to 100 mg.  But since I just recently realized that I've been taking 62.5 mg/day instead of the 50 that I thought I was taking, I guess that means I was taking 125 mg/day for about a week.  I didn't feel any improvement, so I went back to the 5 tablets a day.   I don't recall muscle cramping as a side effect. The only side effects I can recall are sneezing and itching.

• vivre
    edited June 2009
    Options

Althea-I you taking the ATP cofactor? It is supposed to support you ability to metabolize iodine?

Also you get dr. Brownstein's book and my compounding pharmicists version of Iodoral, which has some of the metabolizing additives included at martinavenuepharmacy.com

• Springtime
    edited June 2009
    Options

Althea, it is probably mcg, sorry. I don't have the bottle here. Good thing I am not in charge of people's dosages!

Hey Tri, Take the good results! Whatever! Isn't that great! Good good good!

• trigeek
    edited June 2009
    Options

Ok now I seem to be developing white little spots on my arms and legs (visible where I am sunburnt) could this be also a side effect ? -- oh the mystery of the cramping has been solved iodoral is innocent I just had the wrong setup on the machine duh !!! -.

Am I getting iodphobia ?

• fairy49
    fairy49 Member Posts: 536
    edited June 2009
    Options

I haven't added iodoral as yet to my supplements, I know it seems to be very important, my head is swimming with all the supplements and info aaaaahhhh!! My question is, if my tyroid tests were all normal do I still need to take iodine? Please excuse my ignorance on this, there is just soooo much info, I am a little overwelmed, I was concentrating all of my efforts on researching DIM and now that I have that sorted out, I am ready for the next thing! A co-worker is taking Iodoral, she didn't do a loading test, is the loading test necessary?

Thanks!

Lorraine ox

• vivre
    edited June 2009
    Options

Lorraine-I too resisted adding one more thing, like iodoral. My thyroid test was "normal" also. Then my new doctor told me that the US standards of normal are half of what the EU standards are. Even when it was proven the US standards were too low, they do not bother to change them. You really need to take the iodine loading test to find out for sure if you are lacking iodine. I think it is one of the last cogs in the wheel for me. It just makes me so damn mad that we have to spend all this time figuring out what is best for our health while our doctors only tell us to take a pill and come back if you have any problems. It saddens me that so many women do not have the time to look for all the info out there.

Trigeek-I got those little white spots too, after I finished rads. I was not taking iodoral then. Did you do rads recently?