Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Iodine, thyroid, and breast cancer??

Options

Comments

• seaotter
    seaotter Member Posts: 642
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi all ! I have a couple questions. Do you take your iodoral all at the same time or take some in the morning then at night?? Where do you buy your ATP? One more thing to take,ugh!!!! I feel like soon all I will do all day is take my supplements and not have time to do anything else, lol. I wish we could have just one maybe two pills with all we need!!!!

• trigeek
    trigeek Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2009
    Options

just got my annual physical lab back here is the thyroid part:

Thyroid Panel:

Thyroxine(T4) = 9 (normal range - 4.5-12.0) Normal

T3 Uptake = 32 (normal range - 24-39) Normal

Free Throxine Index = 2.9 (normal range - 1.2-4.9) normal

TSH = 4.353 (normal .450 - 4.5) normal.. kind of close to high I guess

Triiodothyronine (T3) = 190 (normal rane 85-205)

My Iodine Loading test results that alarmed the doc were as the following:

I&I Loading 48

I&I Saturation 96 -- meaning that I excreted 95% of all the Iodine I took in.. indicating the symporter problem.

So according to 'traditional' measures my thyroid function seems fine, now I am wondering whether I might be doing damage with my iodoral intake.. heard that excess amount of iodine might also lead to severe problems.

On a side note went on  a bike ride today and my heart rate was about 10 bpm lower than usual yeah !!! Maybe this is also a desireable side effect ?

Sea otter I took my iodoral and atp before breakfast.. after I first take my gi bacteria, .. drink my 1/2 lemon squeezed warm water, ...and then modified citrus pectin... try to give 30 minutes before I take it.

I bought my atp from Natural Healthy concepts but someone said breast cancer choices was selling it now ?

I hear you !!! I was saying that I could not eat enough # of meals to match the supplements I am on lol...

• anondenet
    anondenet Member Posts: 261
    edited December 2009
    Options

Spring, Vivre and Althea, thank you for the kind words. It's good to see the information getting out there.

Trigeek, a lot of us had normal thyroid tests and then found they were not that reliable. Even before hearing about iodine, my local doc would go by symptoms more than the blood tests. If you had any hypothyroid symptoms he put you on low dose Armour Thyroid for a month and would ask you if you felt any differently.

I like to divide the dosage and I don't take it late in the day.

Anom

• anondenet
    edited June 2009
    Options

Vivre,

Given what we pay for medical care, it drives me crazy that we have to do all the research ourselves. It also drives me crazy that our supplements are not covered by insurance. The government has a monopoly on what they approve as medicine. I wish when we were diagnosed they would set aside a certain amount and give us the free choice on how we spend it. After all, we pay into these plans, why shouldn't we have a say on how to spend our own money?

Sorry, don't get me started :)

Anom

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited June 2009
    Options

Anom-I sure do agree with you! It gets me so mad we cannot determine our own treatments and if you think it is bad now, wait until we have national health care and we have some tsar sitting at a desk deciding what we are allowed to do, not a doctor. My holistic minded doctors say that they will probably be all put out of business, because everything they do will be rejected, even if they have good results because the drug company lobbiests will have even more clout and the FDA will be able to strong arm everyone. No more vitamins without a script. No more chiropractic care. It really really scares me. People think "free" health care is the answer to our prayers, but I have yet to find one thing the government runs well. Letting them take control of our health will be a disaster.

Also, my compounding pharmicist told me to split my dose of iodine. I asked him about it keeping me awake and he said not to worry. So I am taking it late in the PM just to make sure.

• seaotter
    edited June 2009
    Options

When I go to breastcancerchoices website I can not find the iodoral 50 mg or the ATP cofactor. Am I doing something wrong???

• anondenet
    edited June 2009
    Options

Seaotter,

There is an email link to the Breast Cancer Choices' shipper on the page: sally@breastcancerchoices.org  She's the person to contact regarding the 50 mg and the ATP.  I can't remember the exact price but they are cheaper than anybody else. She will also give you a break on shipping if you buy two different items. Apparently, they are trying to fix the order page but until then they will send you a Paypal invoice.

Anom

• seaotter
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Thanks AnomKiss
  • althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited June 2009
    Options

trigeek, I've done a lot of reading about thyroid conditions, and standards were changed back in 2002 by the association of endocrinologists for basic thyroid screening.  The 'old normal' was .5 to 5.5.  The 'new normal' is .3 to 3.0.  They also suggest a free T4 test.  The TSH measured how much hormone is produced.  The free T4 test measures the rate your body utilizes the TSH hormone. 

I had a TSH result of 6.2 early last year.  I had a similar result quite some time earlier, but he did nothing about it.  This time I thought for sure I'd get a scrip for thyroid meds, but no.  He wanted to test again.  That's when I launched my learning curve on thyroid conditions.  When it was time for the next test, I requested the additional free T-4 test, and my request was denied!  I haven't been back to him or any other doctor since.  

On one hand, you're lucky to have a doctor do extensive testing. On the other hand, doctors are continuing to use outdated information and ignoring the fact that most women feel their best when the TSH is around 1.0.   I learned that piece of information just by getting on message boards and reading the experiences of others. 

I too am angry that we are saddled with doing our own research to find our way to health.   Here's a link to a pdf from the aace.com site, the american association of clinical endocrinologists.  Even their information kind of ticks me off.  An MD is quoted “Patients are often unaware that they should ask their doctor to check thyroid blood tests.  Thyroid diseases can develop quite slowly and many patients do not realize that they are ill until they begin treatment and start to feel more energetic and healthy.”  Why is it the responsibility of the patient to ASK for a test that we might need?????  And in my experience, I HAVE ASKED for a free T4 test and my request was denied. 

I don't even go to my oncologist anymore.   For literally years, he has shrugged his shoulders when I complain of fatigue and I've reached a point where I'm not certain his nurses would even notice a 10 inch tumor sticking out of the top of my head.  Honestly, I wonder how they navigate a grocery store or find their way home at the end of the day.  

• fairy49
    fairy49 Member Posts: 536
    edited June 2009
    Options

great info althea, I had no idea what the T4 was supposed to be at, I got a huge report from the naturopath I have been seeing, and slowing slogging my way through it trying to figure out what it all means! My doc charges $155.00 for 30 mins aaaahhh!! so I pretty much grabbed the report and ran LOL!! not really, but I wasn't able to go into major detail with her, but I just looked at the report and my T4 is at 1.2 so that looks to be good based on your info.  I will keep slogging through to check out everything else!

Anom, thanks for the info!

Lorraine

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2009
    Options

Fairy, My understanding is yes, if you are iodine insufficient. You learn this by doing the Iodine loading test. Once you do the test, you can get a free consult with a guy named Dr. Flechas.

HE told me I needed to take the Iodoral for the rest of my life to prevent other cancers like those listed below. Here are my personal notes from my phone call with Dr. Flechas, after I did my initial Iodine Loading test:

Dr. Flechas of FFP labs in Hendersonville, NC: ffp_lab@yahoo.com
    I was at 59% saturated and need to be 90% - Test 1.

Plan:
    4 Iorodol pills a day (50 mg)
    2 ATP cofactor a day (helps iodine to attach at celular level) (Vit B1, B2)
    3 months.
    Re-do Iodine loading test (come off for 24 hours first)
    Should see an increase in iodine up to 75% or 90%.

Do this for the rest of my life.

Women w BC have risk of the following cancers:
    Esophogele, Stomach, Thyroid, Ovarian, Endometiral (in uterus).

For Asthma patients, they are treated with FFKI or SSKI
    (potasium /iodine) that is 400 mg 3-4 x a day!

50 mg is a "drop in the bucket". Very safe.

• fairy49
    fairy49 Member Posts: 536
    edited June 2009
    Options

Thanks Spring! it sounds so complicated! all this diet and supplement stuff is like having another job LOL!!

• anondenet
    edited June 2009
    Options

Somebody emailed me this short video link to our guy, Dr. Flechas.

He's talking about iodine, breast cancer, and the thyroid to a group of physicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoMfg76gAUo

Anom

• Springtime
    edited June 2009
    Options

Anom, I will have to check that out!

Fiary, it is like having another job! But you were smart to get a neutropath. I need to find someone like that, like a guide through this maze!  Or maybe an endocrinologist? oiy. !!!

• vivre
    edited June 2009
    Options

Thanks for the video anom. I can't wait to check it out.

• Hindsfeet
    Hindsfeet Member Posts: 675
    edited June 2009
    Options

I feel a little astranged from the boards lately...at times I check in to see how you all are doing. I found myself a little overwhelmed with everything. There's so much information, and sometimes it feels like too much.

Next week I get my second thyroid blood test. I missed the one in May. I have procrastinated taking the iodine loading test. I thought after the next blood test, I would go for it. My naturalpath will not be so happy about it. She's not into thyroid patients taking iodine, and I think its what I need...just don't know how much.

I have bigger butterflies in that my 6 month mammo is Monday. The doctor ordered a dx bilateral...hmmm, I thought I would only have to do the one dx with cancer.

I'm beginning to feel normal, without the fear of another recurrence. I want to be done with this whole cancer thing. I will be relieved if all is clear.  I see my breast surgeon next Thursday. Anyway, I'm checking in and letting you all know I'm still around and love you all. :)

• Springtime
    edited June 2009
    Options

Anom, Watched the youtube on Dr. Flechas. Very compelling. Thank you for sharing!

It makes me crazy that something as simple as iodine can potentially prevent the chain of cancer... good grief...  I was diagnosed hypothyroid years before the BC diagnosis. I also had fibrocyctic breasts!!!. 

• luckofthedraw
    luckofthedraw Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2009
    Options

I saw a blurb on another website, mentioning that the NY Academy of Sciences will have a conference on "Circadian Disruption and Cancer" next week.  FINALLY someone is getting it!  Those of us who have thyroid and/or adrenal problems are not crazy. 

• MomoB
    MomoB Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hello Barry,

Good luck with your mamo next week.  I'll say a prayer for you to have good results.

I know that it's scary to have the mamo after having had a recurrence.  Just remember you

had dcis, so that's better than invasive type.  I think it's usual practice for them to do a

bilateral mamo, not just unilateral.

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a few weeks ago, papillary type.  I go on the 17th

for a pre- surgery appointment. 

What is the iodine loading test?  I never thought that I would have a thyroid problem, no

symptoms.  It was found when my cardiologist did an ultrasound of my carotid artery.

I have been wondering how you are doing.  I'm glad to learn you have been doing ok and

feeling more like your old self.   Who was it that said " there's nothing to fear, but fear itself"?

I try to live by that. 

• vivre
    edited June 2009
    Options

Momo-Credit FDR with the quote. The idodine loading test is to determine if you body is uptaking iodine. The assumption is that lack of iodine causes cancer, and adding iodine is preventative. Before you have surgery, make sure it is cannot be treated with iodine. I do not know anything about this but maybe Anom will chime in with some info.

Barry-We have missed you! Hope the tests go well. I am surprised you did not look into thermography.

• althea
    edited June 2009
    Options

I finally got my test results.  My loading level is 33 and my saturation level is 66.  Both of these are considered low.  I'm disappointed, considering I've been taking iodoral nearly 6 months now and I've been taking sublingual B vitamins since last November.  My consult by phone appointment is Monday. 

I'm not sure what the loading number signifies.  Can anyone tell me?

• althea
    edited June 2009
    Options

Also, I listened to the video linked above and took particular notice of Dr Fletchas saying estrogen inhibits the absorption of iodine.  Last time (and only time) my estrogen levels were tested, I was taking tamoxifen.  I don't recall numbers offhand, but I was deemed menopausal based on the results.  I don't suppose breastcancerchoices has a reimbursement program for estrogen testing?  I'm curious to know what my levels are but too broke to see any kind of doctor these days.

• hollyann
    hollyann Member Posts: 279
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hmmmm.....Not sure about iodine and cancer cause I use nothing but iodized salt in everything I eat.......Thyroid procblems I can believe cause I have thyroid problems........

• vivre
    edited June 2009
    Options

Althea-You may need to add the ATP cofactor to uptake the iodine better. I specifically asked dr. Flechas about this because my hormone doctor told me that she had sometimes seen no difference in the iodine loading test after months on iodoral. Also, the supplement I decided to take is from my local compounding pharmicist-  martinavenue.com     630-355-6400

He is a big supporter of Dr. Brownstein and has attended his seminars. He has his own version of iodoral which he calls Tom's Iodine Plus. He sells 120 capsules for $35 and also Dr. Brownstein's book for $15.

Hollyann-both Dr. Brownstein's book and the video explain why we do not get enough iodine just from table salt.

• Springtime
    edited June 2009
    Options

Althea, don't be discouraged. The ATP cofactors are the B vitamins below. I take 2 per day with the Iodoral. What B's are in your sublingual? I remember Dr. Flechas said the ATP cofactors helped absorption at the molecular level.

atp

• anondenet
    edited June 2009
    Options

Momo, exactly what kind of surgery are you having done on your thyroid? Are they removing it? You might want to look at Stephanie Buist's web site. She had thyroid cancer and fibrocystic breasts and is now moderator of the Yahoo Iodine Group with 2,500-3000 members. Women who have their thyroidectomies are at higher rish for breast cancer. Iodine deficiency is the common denominator. Dr. Flechas talks about this in his short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoMfg76gAUo

• anondenet
    edited June 2009
    Options

Althea, Tamoxifen is actually a "designer estrogen." Tamox is associated with causing hypothyroidism.

When women who are not breast cancer patients take too much estrogen, they can get hypothyroidism and goiter.

Estrogen is used to treat women who produce too much thyroid hormone too slow down their thyroids.

Anom

• anondenet
    edited June 2009
    Options

Spring, thanks for posting the ATP formula label. That particular form of niacin is used because it won't cause a flush. Also, 500 mg is a large dose which you wouldn't find in B vitamin formulas. Dr. Flechas says niacin and niacinamide are NOT interchangeable. Niacinamide won't work to help absorption.

Althea, it can take up to two years to get your saturation levels up. It takes years to get iodine deficient and it seems to take a while for our bodies to learn how to absorb again. There are some people who get tested every six months to monitor their progress. Also, if you continue to take bromide in meds, some sodas, bromated flour products or an asthma inhaler, it might displace the iodine supplementation. Dr. Brownstein writes about that. Bromide is the anti-iodine.

Anom

• hollyann
    hollyann Member Posts: 279
    edited June 2009
    Options

Thanks Vivre for the info on the book.....Question......How can you find out if you are getting enough iodine?......Is there a test for it too?.........

• althea
    edited June 2009
    Options

Spring, thanks for the cofactor info.  I dont' seem to have the box anymore for my B complex drops, but it had all that you typically see in supplements as I recall B1, B2, B3, B6, B12 and it seemed like a longer list than that.  Plus, my daily multi vitamin has B vitamins also. 

Anom, I've not heard that tamoxifen is connected with hypothyroidism.  One more reason I'm glad I don't take it anymore.  I slogged through 26 months of it, and it's been about a 18 months since I stopped.  I gave up soda ages ago but you have me thinking about flour products.  There's a woman on the iodine list who gave up wheat products and has energy to spare now.  A lot of people are giving up wheat products and feeling better, presumably because of a sensitivity to gluten, but I'm wondering if people feel better because of the absence of bromide in the flour?  

I hope I'm within sight of reaching proper saturation.  I am so tired of being tired!!  It's been years now.  I supplemented sporatically with iodine last year.