Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is titanium marker safe after biopsy?

Options

Comments

• bryan2
    bryan2 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Options

To All - In response to Iris and above posts in general

My name is bryan. My wife had a biopsy yesterday for a small irregularity that showed on the mammogram. AFTER the procedure she told me they placed a marker so it would be easy for them to find the spot in the future. I couldn't believe they would do something like that without permission (permission should have been asked when the biopsy was first scheduled. I am upset I am about this.

It is not just the marker itself, it is the High-Handed Arrogance of it. Whose body is it? I can not believe "markers" are implanted without a consultation prior to the biopsy. They Should Be Required To Inform, And Then Ask .......  FIRST. And personally, I believe men have No Business working in womens health. This is a male kind of attitude that I am afraid some women in the professional world are adopting.

As i read in some of the posts: Allergic reactions can be a problem. Migrating markers could occur. But the real problem that I see is the lack of regard for women ... and if it is not a gender thing, then it's a lack of regard for patients.

I believe the marker was only placed for their convienence. There is a good chance they will not have to go in again (my wife tends to have cysts and fibrous tissue). And if they do, if they found the spot in the first place, why wouldn't they be able to find it again? Especially in that if the tissue was cancerous it would have grown and not be that hard to find.

I hope I am upset over nothing, but it doesn't seem that way.

• ballet12
    ballet12 Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2013
    Options

Hi Bryan,

Your wife should have been informed about the titanium marker when given an informed consent to sign for the procedure.  It's possible that they did mention it when presenting her with the informed consent, but she didn't catch what they were saying, or it's possible that they didn't say it, which is incorrect.  The markers are necessary when doing biopsies for microcalcifications.  The microcalcifications are very tiny (hence, "micro") and not visible to the naked eye.  If they need to go back in to find the area, they use the markers to locate it.  They can also use the markers if the biopsy turns out to be negative and they do follow-up imaging in 6 months to see if the area of concern is still problematic.  The markers are inert (don't react).  They can migrate.  I had one that migrated, and they were able to do wire localization to get at the area for surgical excisional biopsy anyway, I guess because I had a sizable enough area of calcifications that still showed up on imaging.  I just had a core biopsy a week ago, and they did discuss the titanium marker placement.  I do recall, years ago, that they were going to do a marker placement and I kind of freaked out at the idea.  Now, I don't.  I've got one in each breast.  Some people have numerous markers.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited June 2013
    Options

Wow Bryan, I sure would hate to automatically disqualify every excellent male medical worker. Perhaps I can still find one of those ivory doctor's ladies to pass through the curtain to the nasty male doctor. What exactly prompted you to join us here?

• GramM
    GramM Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    Options

I'm sure it is in the consent form your wife signed before her biopsy started. I was shown the clip and told about it when I signed the consent form. When I had my follow up Mammo, it showed where my biopsies were done and also showed that the area of earlier concern that was biopsied was stable and had not changed since January so I'd say the markers are pretty beneficial.

• nancy1948
    nancy1948 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Options

I had a left breast biopsy on 10/31/13, I was never told about the metal marker until I was just about ready to go inside, was told itsSmile only as small as a peice of rice, and I would hear a popping sound, well I have to tell you I never felt pain, burning, and mostly pressure, it was so powerful, I passed out for a second, white as a ghost, had to give me smelling salts, and ice, water, my problem is it was never fully explained to me in detail, I consider myself a very strong person, and what I went threw no-one should when having a biopsy, and I believe the Drs lack respect for patients. This small area on my breast was found without a marker inside me to begin with, so why the marker????and four days later it is turning red, sore, and slight pain every so often, never had a problem with pain or anything else, I am waiting on the results of the biopsy, but I will not just stand by and let this pass......Today is 11/6/2013, I have been waiting for result on biopsy sense 10/31/2013, call my pcp,(as I was told to do)yesterday waited all day never return my call, I must say I was very hurt, and surprized, he usually is there for me, so I call today only to find out he's away until 11/12/2013, I told the girl at the front desk I need the nurse to call and give me the result, which I waited until 4pm today, and I called again she came to the phone and told me I have Ductal Carcinoma(she was very nice and understanding)I need to look up for myself what Ductal Carcinoma is , I just need to know as much as I can about this Cancer, also need to find a good surgeon, and take it one step at a time, I am alone, feeling sad, and afraid of not knowing whats, what. I am glad to fine this site, knowing people have gone threw the same as me, and worse. Thank You.

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited November 2013
    Options

Bryan, I am hearing your anger and frustration, and must say everyone here has the right to vent about how they feel, without fear of being contradicted. We may not agree, but we all have our own experiences and they are all valid.

Your wife is in the place that all of us have been, lots of emotions, perhaps fear of the unknown. It is a powerful thing and it is easy to feel out of control. I wonder how your wife is coping? Does she feel as you do?

I too, had the marker placed during my stereotactic biopsy, but I was informed before, and signed off on it, because I understood exactly why it was going in. I saw it as a necessary and useful tool if required in the future. In fact, as "Hokey" as it may sound, I have to say that I had a "moment", when the Radiographer showed me the tiny ribbon shaped clip, after it was inserted, on the big screen. It actually made me feel very connected to all the other women who had gone before me on this roller coaster journey. It was kind of a defining moment that this was all very "real".

I also had a mainly male team who couldn't have looked after me better, and continue to do so. My surgeon has set up breast clinics in South Africa and in London, and is dedicated to this field of breast surgery. He gave me options, always telling me that the decisions were mine to make, and that the team would act on my wishes. I am so grateful to all of them.

As I said, not everyone here has the same experience, or feels the same way. The reality is, we all just want to know what is going on in our bodies, as soon as possible, and if there is cause for further intervention, we want to be well informed of all our options.

For me, I didn't come away with a benign result and my marker wasn't ever used to guide my surgeon or radiographer to the spot. I chose to have a mastectomy, which removed the marker with my breast.

I wish your wife all the very best for a benign result. The odds are in her favor!

• TotallyBlessed
    TotallyBlessed Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    Options

Bryan, I read through this thread last night but didn't have time to respond till this morning. I also have a marker following an ultrasound guided core biopsy. I had a total female team including the radiologist. I was told about the marker prior to the biopsy and we even joked about the fact I'd probably be safe going through airport security metal detectors.

For me personally, my only concern is my body rejecting it - though tiny as it is, it's still my concern. I'm thankful technology is as it is, and this little marker oddly has given me a tiny 'piece of mind' knowing that in 6 months when I go back for my mammogram and ultrasound - there should be no question where they need to look.

Blessings to you and your wife as you wait results.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,778
    edited November 2013
    Options

Bryan made only one post on bco on 6/12/13 and has not signed in since that date. I wonder if he's even still reading this forum?

• Ariom
    edited November 2013
    Options

Duh! I never think to look at the dates on posts, thanks for that!

• Dougswife
    Dougswife Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Options

I had a marker put in during my biopsy in October.  No one told me  before that they were doing this.  I have allergies to costume jewelry and metal buttons on clothing like jeans.  I was very upset that they did not tell me ahead of time about this marker.  I would have refused.  It is not  almost 4 months since my biopsy and I have a lot of pain in my left breast and shoulder and armpit  and it goes right into my back in that area..   When I move , even just taking a breathe, it feels like a knife moving in there.  I don't know if it is just still from the biopsy, or if it actually has something to do with the marker.  My left breast looks bigger than my right breast.  I never noticed that before the biopsy, so I am not sure if the left is swollen, or if it has been bigger all along and I never noticed until now.  I wish I never had the biopsy done.  

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited January 2014
    Options

Most people allergic to metal are allergic to nickel. All metal surgical pins, plates, screws, etc are titanium because it is non-reactive. It is HIGHLY unlikely your surgical marker has anything whatsoever to do with any symptoms you are having.

• Ariom
    edited January 2014
    Options

I agree with MellissaDallas. I am allergic to nickel like many people are. Titanium is used in lots of Medical implants. My Husband is full of it, hips, femur, ankle. The clip inserted at biopsy is only about 3mm, or like a sesame seed. 

I asked about the possibility of any reaction to it, and was told I had nothing to worry about. My marker was removed, along with my breast, a couple of months after the biopsy.

Good luck, and I hope you find the cause of your symptoms.

• barbaraj
    barbaraj Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    Options

I went in for a core needle biopsy last week. Markers were never mentioned until I was on the table and getting the explanation of the sequence as I was about to be numbed.  I was confused and upset that I had not been told about the marker before....and when I mentioned that the dr told me that some women refuse them. I considered that, and it would be typical of me to refuse it as I am a low-intervention person, medically, but wanted to to what was "best" for me given the potentially high stakes problem (breast cancer) so I deferred and told him to do what he thinks is best practice. I have the marker, stainless steel-- not titanium. And, I got my results yesterday--benign. Yay! I am grateful for that. Concerned about the marker, but have not had any apparent issue with it in my breast. After all my concern and hesitation re getting the marker, the dr informed me after the procedure that he put in the wrong place. What bothered me, and continues to, was that I did not have the opportunity to consider the marker beforehand. Should I ever need further medical care, I now know to research more ahead of time....I just read what the office gave me.

• Ariom
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi barbaraj! Con gratulations on your result!

I too had the marker inserted at the time of my Biopsy, for me, it wasn't an issue, in fact once I was shown it on the screen and had its reasons explained, I had a very real feeling of connection with the other women who had gone before me on this journey. I was glad that I had a marker to guide anyone to the spot where I had had an issue and that it had been mapped for the future.

As it turned out, I was not one of the 80% who get a B9 result from biopsy, so my marker was removed, with my breast, in surgery.

There are some who feel very strongly that they would prefer not to have the marker left, and others who aren't concerned either way. Like everything else to do with BC, there will always be those for, or against, but we are ultimately responsible, for deciding what is best for us, as an individual.

The great thing about this site, is that you'll always get answers, without judgement. Both sides of the coin will be explained, and then you can make up your own mind. 

I should mention that there are people who have had major surgeries with very large amounts of metal holding bones together or holding arteries open. The markers left to guide to a biopsied spot, are about the size of a sesame seed in comparison.

I am sure there will be someone along soon who will  give another point of view. 

Good luck to you for the future!

• faerywings
    faerywings Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2014
    Options

I too am highly allergic to metals. Even 14K earring will cause my ears to swell and itch within a few hours. I have two titanium markers in my right boob, one from a biopsy in 2009 and one from Jan 2014. I had micro-calc's in 2009. My new calc's that turned out to be DCIS are  super-close to the benign ones so it makes the scans much easier to read to know where my prior biopsy was. I was also told about it both times very clearly during my "consent form mtg." I was concerned about metal allergy and I too joked about airports, and am thankful they are not doing the full-body scans any longer. Could you imagine?? TSA Agent: WTH is that dumbbell shaped object in your breast?? And you have a round one too??"

I have had no issues with allergy or anything, except that my left boob is sad that only the right one has "bling."

• roofels
    roofels Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2014
    Options

In a similar situation as many of you,  right in the middle of a needle biopsy I was asked about the pin, not much information given prior,  told "it is safe,  we need it to identify the lump in the future" , and the pin was inserted safely.  No issues there. 

Fast forward 2 years later: the pin is nowhere to be found.  I go in for a check up,  this time an ultrasound check up,  the same technician can not find the pin.  I told her "you inserted it". She can't find the lump nor the pin. (The lump biopsy came back as benign and she told me that they go away sometimes. Great for me I have less lumps in my breast but oh btw there is a pin floating around in my body somewhere).

Now what do I do?  where is the pin?  It didn't dissolve.  How do I find it somewhere in my body? do I ask for a full body MRI? Will that find it?  

LADIES, DON'T INSERT THE PIN. it is to make the caregiver's job easier meanwhile you get zero health benefit from it but you are taking on a risk.  If it does not benefit your health,  don't do it. 

For full disclosure: that was 2 years ago. I didn't panic then telling myself it will come out but it hasn't.  I haven't had any issues but it is on my mind. I wonder if I am sitting on a ticking bomb and if at any point I may get some major problems from it ending up in some organ or a blood vessel.  I am about to schedule another 2 year follow up and this time I won't be so understanding.  This time they have to find the pin since they put it 

• leaf
    leaf Member Posts: 1,821
    edited March 2014
    Options

They can locate metal objects in the body by Xray.  When I had an Xray of my hand a few years ago, they found I had a metal object in my finger.  I had totally forgotten that when I was about 10 years old, I was running the sewing machine too fast, and the sewing machine needle went into my finger (near the edge of my nail).  My parents took me to the ER, and I think they removed part of it.  Apparently parts of the needle have been in there for many decades, and I haven't been aware of it.

Of course, bullets are not always removed in soldiers if they are not causing problems.

I've read when infants/pets swallow something metallic (or even iron tablets- I guess to see how far they have dissolved), they can take an Xray to locate them.

Of course, mammograms are Xrays, and they wouldn't be inserting the clips if they didn't show up on mammograms.  If the radiologist can avoid an unnecessary fine needle/core/surgical biopsy, that means the patient doesn't have to go through the cost/potential additional scarring/anxiety of another breast procedure.

The titanium clip is too big to fit into a blood vessel in the breast.  It would also have to find the hole to enter it.

Everyone has different situations, different bodies, and have different allergies and reactions. 

• Ladybug4446
    Ladybug4446 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2014
    Options

they put a titanium breast cancer ribbon in my biopsy site yesterday. I didn't know this was the marker until I went for mammo after biopsy and I saw it. I hadn't been diagnosed with cancer so I wonder why they would use the ribbon and it looked way bigger than a seed. They did tell me they were putting in a marker. My hubby asked why they used the ribbon and they told him because they are pretty sure I have cancer. Horrible experience and now I wait five days for pathology. 

• Ariom
    edited March 2014
    Options

Ladybug, I am so sorry you have had such a bad experience. It shouldn't be that way and I wish techs would keep opinions to themselves till the Pathology results make the Dx. You are in the awful part of the process right now, which is the waiting for results. Fortunately, you don't have a long wait, I know it feels like forever right now. I had 11 days to wait for my results and thought I'd go mad. What I did learn, was that the stress and worry does nothing, for the outcome! I would suggest you try to do things that you enjoy to pass the time. Don't be consulting Dr Google, there is far too much irrelevant, out of date info out there that will do nothing but frighten you.

The marker that was put in to locate the area which was biopsied, is about 3mm or less than 1/8th of an inch. I know they look huge when they show them to you on the screen, but that is greatly magnified. Mine was shaped like the BC ribbon too. Having the marker placed certainly doesn't mean you have Breast Cancer. It is used to mark an area of concern and will show up in subsequent Mammograms or scans.

I wish you all the very best and must say that the odds are in favor for you have a B9 result. Please let us know how you get on.

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi, Ariom!

Ladybug4446 - So sorry you had a bad experience with the insertion of the marker.  I know I was never told anything about it beforehand and was surprised that they were so matter of fact about it.  They had an awful time getting it placed just right (mine needed to be placed very deep inside the breast) and I wondered if I'd set off metal detectors and such.  No reason to worry there.  They used it as a guide during the excisional biopsy that was done two weeks later.  Three weeks after that, like Ariom, mine was removed with my breast.

I sincerely hope that you're part of the 80% who are found to be benign!  The odds are in your favor, so please let us know how when your pathology results are in....

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,778
    edited March 2014
    Options

I think ariom has given a good explanation of what the titanium marker/clip is for. No one likes the idea of a foreign piece of metal in their body but the reality is that it almost never causes complications. The risk of anything "bad" happening is very low. Someone posted that it makes the caregivers job easier. Not sure that I'd call doctors caregivers (on these boards that word is almost always used for family/friends who care for bc patients), but yes, it does make it easier to locate the biopsy site in the future. It is not intended to benefit your health (also mentioned in an earlier post). As ariom also mentioned it is teeny tiny and creates no problem at airport scanners (full body scanners certainly do still exist). You won't even be given an implanted medical device card (as you are given for ports and implants). Can anyone guarantee no risk or allergic reactions ? Of course not but the risk really is negligible so there is no reason for anyone to view this as a problem waiting to happen.

Caryn

PS: yes, you should definitely be told about it in advance.

• Ariom
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi roofels, I am so sorry you have had such a bad experience with your testing and marker placement. Your experience is not something I have ever heard of before.

I have a friend who is a Radiographer, who works with these markers every day and she assured me that they are tiny, just 3mm, and are not dangerous. In saying that, mine was only there for a couple of months, till I had my breast removed, but it was sighted and mentioned in my final Pathology as being where it was placed.

I have to agree with leaf, when she speaks of people with metal in their bodies for a lifetime without any adverse effects. My Husband is one who has long rods, screws and other hardware in both hips and legs that haven't been a problem in any way.

I don't know if any of this makes it any easier for you to accept this marker, but when it works, as it should, it is a very positive beacon for highlighting an area that has been biopsied before, or to help guide to the right area, for a Surgical procedure. 

I wish you all the very best, and hope you can resolve this, because having this kind of stress for years is so wrong.  

• Ariom
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Az and Caryn, posting at the same time! Good to see you 2!

Great advice as always, from both of you.

• Ladybug4446
    edited February 2015
    Options

I realize I never posted back. After my biopsy my left arm swelled so much it pressed on my ulnar nerve and caused me to lose feeling in my hand. They thought I had a blood clot. I went through tests, cardiologist, vascular ultrasound and apparently there is a thing called brachial plexus reaction. My arm was up so long during the procedure which took an hour because they caused a huge hematoma in my breast that the R th blood flow was cutoff to my arm. Took two months to heal. Black and blue For weeks and can't sleep pm on left sleep on left breast. Diagnosis fibrocystic disease. thank god. starting over next week for annual exam a and nervous

• Ladybug4446
    edited February 2015
    Options

can one use a tens unit for pain in back with titanium marker inserted, it is an implanted metal

• Ariom
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi Ladybug, so sorry to hear all you went through. I am not certain about the clip and using a Tens Machine, I have one and use it for Rheumatoid pain, but my clip went when I had my UMx surgery. It would be worth a call to your Doctor or the manufacturer of your Tens Machine, just to make sure about the implanted clip. Keep in mind that the clip is about the size of a sesame seed.

• foreignbody
    foreignbody Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dear friends,

I had biopsy markers inserted in June 2014. Ever since then I have had mysterious symptoms,

1) new and difficult to control asthma,

2) fatigue,

3) pain (stabbing and burning at biopsy sites),

4) heightened immune reactions resulting in several ER visits and lots of steroids

5) a dangerous allergic reaction to a titanium metal patch test (which was deemed inconclusive).

A number of doctors have dismissed me and told me this is in my head. I would like to believe that but my immune system is now so out of control I cannot work, sleep, eat. In recent days I have found these links that I found helpful.

1) reactions to titanium dental implants: http://www.robertgammal.com/OtherPages/Implants.html
    2) case study on titanium staples: http://primeinc.org/casestudies/pa_np/study
    /912/Adverse_Reactions_to_Titanium_Staples_in_a_Patient_Following_Cholecystectomy
    3) adverse event with titanium breast markers: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfMAUDE/detail.cfm?mdrfoi__id=752665

I am not a doctor - but I want to share my experience as fully and honestly as possible in case other people may be experiencing this rare reaction.

Sincerely,

Foreign Body

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just found this post. I have a 4 level cervical fusion, lots of titanium there! I use my TENs on/around the area with no problems..

Hi A!!!

• Ariom
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Spookie! I knew you had all that metal work and didn't think to ask you!

Foreignbody, I answered your post on the other thread.

• sspc
    sspc Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum as I was told about a abnormal mammogram last month. I have no lump but I do have calcifications to be biopsied. I'm waiting to schedule the procedure but the moment I heard about the titanium marker I knew I didn't want it. After researching the potential problems, I'm now sure I don't want it.(even if it is cancer)

The thing I don't get is why the marker is necessary. surely they can see where the cancerous cells were before taking the sample. why not just go back to the mammogram before the procedure and compare it with the post biopsy site? the area can be identified that way. or even if they take out a tumor, are they telling us that the tumor can't be seen unless they leave a marker? I don't get it.

I also have concerns about leaving a foreign thing in my body, especially in tissue (not bone). What are the ramifications 20 years from now? We are now just learning that it's possible the mammography might contribute to breast cancer. The thought is small doses of radiation over 20 years to the same area must have some effect on the cells. It's just logical.

In my case, if these calcifications turn out to be cancerous, the surgery I plan to have is a full mastectomy and reconstruction. There is no way I will go through chemo and radiation. I watched my mother with this treatment, it was awful. So I have personal experience with it. You know I thought Angelina Jolie had an extreme response when she found out about the Brac gene. But now that I am facing a possible situation I can see her point. Remove all possible chance of cancer growing or returning by simply removing the tissue.

This is just my personal opinion for what I would do, I am in no way suggesting that anyone follow this recommendation.