Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is titanium marker safe after biopsy?

Options

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dear sspc, welcome to Breastcancer.org. We're sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us!

Please don't worry about the titanium markers, they are tiny and mark where biopsies are taken from so that in future scans that area doesn't get biopsied again, by accident and any scarring showing in scans can be understood. In a lumpectomy or mastectomy they are fully removed at any rate. The markers are at any tumor site, so of course go with any removed tissue and are not reimplanted, so they are not there.

People have had titanium implants as hips, screws, plates for many years and it is exceptionally rare for anyone to have any adverse reactions.

Yes some people have had them move, but that is rare.

We hope tis clarifies the markers situation, but of course, you are fully entitled to your opinion and to request no marker be used. It is your body.

The Mods

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, sspc, so sorry you have to be here. We all understand how awful this is. The Mods advice is pretty much what I was about to say too. The marker is about the size of a sesame seed and is very useful, for future reference, to prevent the same area being re biopsied and to mark the area to be watched in the future, without any thing invasive being done.. I am sure if you feel that strongly about it, you could refuse it. If you have a BMX, there is no clip left, mine was removed with my breast, when I had my Umx.

I can understand how upset you are, especially after seeing what your Mother went through with cancer. I don't know when that was, but treatments, even surgery has changed for the better in recent times. My Mother had BC too, along with a lot of other health issues and I was her caregiver.

Just keep in mind though, that even with a BMX, there will still be a small percentage of breast tissue left and although many of us can avoid rads by having a Mx, it isn't always a done deal and having a Mx never removes the need for Chemo, if it indicated.

Hopefully it won't be necessary for you to have to make a decision to have chemo or radiation or indeed, even surgery. The vast majority of biopsies return a benign result, in fact over 80% will be found to be benign, so try to keep yourself busy till you have your biopsy and take it from there.

There are many women here, who will come and share their experiences with you if you need them to, Take it easy and let us know how you get on.

• texasgemini
    texasgemini Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi everyone,

I searched the internet concerning these titanium markers that I had placed today after my biopsy, and it brought me here. After reading some of your posts I feel better about them being in there, but I'm still not fully convinced they are not a problem. See I have Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome or CFIDS.. Most people commonly refer to it as CFS. I have had this disease for twenty years now and have learned to cope and adjust my life to live with it. I developed it by having silicone tubes placed in my arm for birth control purposes. Which my body rejected. Because of this initial disease I have sever allergies and asthma. So my question is this.. Do any of you have CFS and the titanium markers? If so, can you tell me how long you have had the markers and what adverse affects you may be experiencing?

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited March 2015
    Options

sspc. Chemo killed my dad. No two ways around that. I said then I wouldn't do chemo.

Then I heard my name and Cancer in the same sentence. Changed my mind.

My MO talked me down, and proved himself to be right. Things have changed. It's not a picnic in the park, but there are meds now to make chemo more tolerable, and more in the pipeline. It can be done

• Sjacobs146
    Sjacobs146 Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2015
    Options

my BS told me that they cannot tell the difference between cancerous and non-cancerous tissue with the naked eye. The titanium marker makes it easier for them to find the tumor durin subsequent procedures, including wire placement prior to lumpectomy. It is misleading to say that there is no medical benefit to the patient. I would say that there is plenty of medical benefit to shorter procedures. But it is not required, and women should refuse it if they are that uncomfortable with it.

• Jennywhite
    Jennywhite Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options

I'm also glad I found this site. I had a marker inserted about 3 months ago and was okay with it at first. But I'm wondering if it's normal for the burning and itching to last this long.

I recently started working out again and had a small bump appear on my breast at the site of the marker afterwards. It lasted for about a day.

I hope these issues will go away with time, it just makes me a bit uneasy and uncomfortable.

• tigerbunny
    tigerbunny Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2015
    Options

I am just a tiny bit hysterical. In October 2014, I had a biopsy and they placed markers. Two, there were two sites. They 'lost' one during the procedure - what they actually said was it didn't take. I sort of assumed they removed it. A few days later it worked it's way out of my skin. I still have it. The phone call was really funny - the poor tech made me repeat it seven times, then the resident got on the phone, and I had to tell it some more. No one seemed concerned.

Preface all this with I have a genetic condition that makes my collagen abnormal. My tissue is often like other peoples', but it can go wonky at random intervals. Everyone knows this, and I discuss it with everyone at every procedure.

In November 2014, I had a double mastectomy. Pretty sure I was told that the markers were to identify the tumors and that they would come out. Makes sense, yes? If they were taking all the breast tissue, and the markers were in the tissue, should they not have come out?

Last week (April 30, 2015), I had a pre-op appointment for a knee surgery and they took a chest x-ray. GUESS WHAT'S STILL IN MY CHEST?

I don't even know who to begin yelling at. Any suggestions? I can't find anything on the internet about someone else doing this.

And the sucker seems really big (the one I have, haven't seen the x-ray yet) - they're shaped differently from each other. The one that came out of me looks like a damn fishing hook.

Any ideas? Comfort? Experience?

thanks much <3

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited May 2015
    Options

They are routinely left in after a needle biopsy when it turns out nothing further is needed. They mark the spot on future mammograms. They don't hurt anything

• Sjacobs146
    Sjacobs146 Member Posts: 155
    edited May 2015
    Options

they are around 3 mm in size (about the size of a grain of rice) and titanium is a non reactive metal. A very small percentage of people might have a sensitivity to titanium, but it is unlikely. It won't affect MRIs or set off airport metal detectors. They are routinely left in patients whose biopsies are benign.

• tigerbunny
    tigerbunny Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2015
    Options

My tumors were not benign, and I had a DOUBLE MASTECTOMY. I cannot understand why it would be left there.

• melissadallas
    edited May 2015
    Options

Tigerbunny, sometimes they do migrate, so apparently they didn't find yours when they did your surgery. Interesting if it was mentioned or not in your surgical report

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,780
    edited May 2015
    Options

tiger bunny,

No one is saying your tumors were benign. That was mentioned just to illustrate that they are harmless if left in. And,as Melissa mentioned they can migrate. So, it was not intentionally left in, but sometimes, a grain of rice is hard to find. Titanium is used in knee and hip replacements so it should cause no problem.

• okaysofar
    okaysofar Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi Everyone,

I'm new and have read through all the posts on this topic. Has anyone ever had their markers removed other than through a lumpectomy? My markers (2) are huge, one is a dumb-bell shape, can be felt easily from the surface, have a surrounding hard mass that I never had before, and they hurt and itch after exercising as well as during the exercise of my vocation as an instrumentalist and music director. Please if anyone has any experience with having them removed, please do tell. I understand they're supposed to be safe, so please no one post about that. But if anyone was able to find a way and a doc to remove them, please, please reply! Thanks so much.

• moderators
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi okaysofar - Welcome you to our community here at BCO. We hope you find it to be a place of support and helpful information!

This thread is a bit old, but let's hope bumping it will help you get an answer. If not, feel free to start your own thread under this same forum.

Good luck!

The Mods

• NoOptions_180
    NoOptions_180 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2016
    Options

I wasn't told about the addition of a marker clip to be left in breast permanently after biopsy until 5 minutes before the procedure was to take place. I was shocked, confused, and taken aback. I walked out and cancelled the procedure. I decided I needed to do research and see what my options are. Apparently there are no options.

You must get a metal marker clip implanted and left in your breast after your biopsy permanently otherwise they will not perform a biopsy. You have no choice!!!!!

That sucks. Women should have more options when it comes to healthcare.

Men are not required to leave behind a metal marker in permanently after there prostate biopsy.

Is this a double standard in medical treatment?

• leaf
    leaf Member Posts: 1,821
    edited January 2016
    Options

I know you are shocked, confused, and taken aback. I was terrified when going through the diagnosis process. When something is happening that is beyond our control, of course we prefer choice and control over chaos.

I think that some people are more professional and mature than others. I certainly hope all your results are benign. If they are not, you will probably find some people (including your health team, family, co-workers, and friends) are more mature than others.

When I had my excision, 10 years ago, I had to carry my mammograms in a cardboard folder that was about 2 or 3 feet high to my hospital, and on the cardboard folder was the picture of a breast that was only slightly smaller than the folder. So everyone knew where my problems were when I carried them in. There are many threads here of the hurtful ways that other people have treated people who have a problem with their sexual organs. I doubt that people who have had their toe amputated have the same problems as a person who has had a mastectomy.

Not everyone who gets a biopsy needs to have a marker inserted. I had a marker inserted on one biopsy, but not on another. They said it would be obvious where the lesion was.

I know it feels unfair what you are going through. We don't know what causes most people's breast cancer or (from what little I know) prostate cancer.

I know you want to have control over the situation. When something potentially serious happens, I want to have control over the situation too.

You do have a choice - you can refuse the biopsy and eliminate the possibility of having a clip inserted. Then you will need to live with the uncertainty of not knowing your breast diagnosis. If you don't have the breast biopsy, will you need to live with the idea that there is a possibility, though probably small, that you might have breast cancer or some curable problem, and you chose to not get it diagnosed or treated. Of course, I don't support this choice, but it certainly is your choice.

Or, you can have the breast biopsy, and know what your diagnosis will be, with the possibility of having a marker. I don't know if you can hunt for a radiologist who will do your biopsy and will promise to not use a clip. I don't know if such a radiologist would be covered by your insurance.

I'm sorry you are feeling so awful.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,780
    edited January 2016
    Options

No options,

I'm sorry this came as a surprise to you. The marker clip is about the size of a grain of rice and is made from titanium. Titanium is a very common metal used for such things as hip replacements. Is it 100% safe or guaranteed not to cause any reaction? No, nothing is 100%, but the chances of an adverse situation arising from the marker are extremely small. As forprostate cancer, I am not well versed enough in that part of the anatomy to say why it is not needed for a prostate biopsy (actually, I don't even know how a prostate biopsy is done). However, I tend to think it has more to do with anatomy and the nature of breast vs. prostate cancer rather than a double standard. Wishing you the best.

• meehjemra55
    meehjemra55 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    Options

i had my lumpectomy two weeks ago but the surgeon said that I should have another mammogram. I ask her why she said they wanted to be sure if the titanium clip s still there cause they couldn't find it when they took out the tumor on my left breast. Is there any reaction during radiation cause I'm going to have one in,a week. If the titanium clip is still in my breast.

Elizabeth

(Edited by Mods to remove personal information)

• moderators
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi Elizabeth-

Titanium markers are often left in the breast indefinitely, and are also used as markers during radiation therapy, so you won't experience any reactions from the clip being left in. You can read more here: http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/types....

Hope this helps! And good luck on your radiation!

The Mods

• SweetSydney
    SweetSydney Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Options

I had the titanium markers planted in both my breasts after needle biopsies on 5/18/2016.. They are causing me quite a bit of pain, (more so in my left breast.) And I've developed lumps around the area in my left breast. I am seeing a Gyne on 7/27 and I am going to ask him to check and see if they need to be removed.

• marie5890
    marie5890 Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2016
    Options

They are so incredibly small I doubt that it's that that is causing pain...

• melissadallas
    edited June 2016
    Options

Most of us have "zingy" pain for a long time after a biopsy, thought to be nerve regeneration and maybe scar tissue. I don't think the marker is the most likely cause either

• Pakman
    Pakman Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    Options

Can the marker remain during radiation?

• yogiboy
    yogiboy Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2017
    Options

I'd like to answer your question about markers and radiotherapy. They are not only safe for radiotherapy. They are preferred in the breast. (I'm a radiotherapy medical physicist.)

If the area is benign...if the area of suspicion is marked it tends to warrant extra analysis by the radiologist in the future. It allows for localization in-spite of distortion from squishing the tissue for follow-up mammography images.

If unfortunately the biopsied tissue is cancerous and radiotherapy is indicated the tumor bed area oftentimes needs a higher dose. Tumor size, margins, ER/PR status, genetic tests, age, ...all play a role in determining 'boost' doses. Breast tissue is one of the most geometrically challenging areas to treat with radiotherapy in the body. Breast setups can be difficult. Localizing this area can really help if radiation is needed.

I really appreciate this site. It has helped me gain perspective about what others think about markers. I'm actually a bit surprised. Informed consent is really important. I also like to feel empowered. If the decision is not to use the markers. Please know that it can affect treatment accuracy if the area needs radiation. Some breast surgeons place markers as standard of care when performing a lumpectomy. This usually to tie off a blood vessel or allow for future localization if needed. I caution you against 'APBI' also known as accelerated partial breast irradiation if markers/clips are not used.

Best of luck to all of you!

• MTwoman
    MTwoman Member Posts: 228
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hey yogiboy,

this thread hasn't been active since July 2016 so may not get many folks reading it. You could add a new thread under "tests treatments and side effects" to provide women that helpful info :)

• evitatg
    evitatg Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi.. I had a biopsy in my breast for calcifications. I was told there was nothing to worry about with the markernow , and I'm upset because I have been having pain after that, not frecuently but sometimes. When I had a mammogram or ultrasound I have been having pain for some days too. Last week I had to do an MRI and the pain came back, I will go to see a doctor, so I'm not happy with the titanium marker ... I would like have been alerted about this before to decide do not use have it... the result was negative and I have now an unnecesary pain in my body

• evitatg
    evitatg Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi

I'm in my 50's and i got my first mammogram at 45. It showed some calcifications and the dr asked me to do a biopsy because the risk to be a cancer. I had no other mammogram before to compare and they said that wait for 6 months to follow up was too risky. I learned 10 min before the biopsy about the titanium marker, and I had no time to search about this, They told me that it's very rare any reaction but I have pain sometimes and that area gets hot. It's first time I get into this site and it is shocking to realize there are cases like mine, I don't know why the dr didn't explain this before the procedure and why people don't have the choice to implant a marker or not in our body. My biopsy was negative and now 4 years later I'm still feeling pain sometimes for one or two weeks... thinking in a new procedure to remove it with more risks and may be unknown consequences make have doubts if i should remove it or not

• djmammo
    djmammo Member Posts: 1,003
    edited March 2017
    Options

For those of you with benign biopsy results who feel that their marker is causing symptoms, they can be removed via stereotactic biopsy just like the calcifications. I am not sure insurance would cover that elective procedure however.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited March 2017
    Options

I sure hope it is safe. I have one inside me now.

• melissadallas
    edited March 2017
    Options

It is also exceptionally rare to have any reaction.

Correlation does not equal causation, and the breast that was biopsied now has scar tissue & possibly disrupted nerves, plus whatever lesion or mass that prompted the biopsy (such as a fibroadenoma) may just hurt anyway.