Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NEW Oncotype Dx Roll Call Thread

Options

Comments

• aug242007
    aug242007 Member Posts: 186
    edited August 2014
    Options

Just FYI, I am now 7 yrs out, doing well, continuing Arimidex for 10 yrs.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited August 2014
    Options

Oncodx of 34 I chose no chemo I am 3 years out everything ok so far.

• meow13
    edited August 2014
    Options

Bump for new people

• aug242007
    edited October 2014
    Options

bump

• scubalady
    scubalady Member Posts: 49
    edited October 2014
    Options

Oncotype score of 9.  No chemo needed!!

• april8
    april8 Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2014
    Options

I have bilateral IDC-1 tumor HER2+, 5mm and 1 tumor 1.8 cent., ER+,PR+, HER2-. MO sent out sample for Oncotype for ER+ Tumor-he is debating Taxol/Herceptin versus TCH. But is Carboplatin and Taxotere effective for hormone positive BC? I was hoping for just Taxol and Herceptin.

• ml143333
    ml143333 Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2014
    Options

I have IDC stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR +, HER -, BMX, 1.3 cm, clear margins, SNB, 0 nodes positive, immediate implants.  Oncotype score is 23.  I start CMF on 10/17 every 3 weeks for 6 months.  I am 46 years young and planning to be here quite some time.  :)

• aug242007
    edited November 2014
    Options

bump

• aug242007
    edited November 2014
    Options

bump

• LoriWNY
    LoriWNY Member Posts: 178
    edited November 2014
    Options

Oncotype Score  6; Recurrence 5%; BLM; ALND (right--1 of 14 positive) (ER+/PR+/HER2+); R; TMXF; HRPN; HSTY; FM.  I declined chemo and radiation.  It's been two years today since I had the mammogram that detected my cancer and I am doing well!

• aug242007
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thanks to all for posting.  TAYLORx study results come out in 2015.

• SchoolCounselor
    SchoolCounselor Member Posts: 228
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm looking forward to the results!

Thanks!

• aug242007
    edited December 2014
    Options

Info from San Antonio about Oncotype:

The WSG trial was designed to evaluate the efficacy of an anthracyline-free adjuvant chemotherapy regimen and utilized the Oncotype DX breast cancer test to identify higher-risk patients who would be more likely to benefit from chemotherapy treatment. In the study of 3,198 patients, mostly qualified as candidates for chemotherapy by traditional parameters, patients with Recurrence Score® results of 12 or higher were randomized to one of two different chemotherapy regimens, and patients with Recurrence Score results of 11 or less were offered hormonal therapy alone. After nearly three years of follow-up, patients with Recurrence Score results of 11 or less had very high survival rates without evidence of recurrence (98.3 percent), despite having node-positive disease or high-risk node-negative disease by traditional parameters. Researchers will continue to follow patients and report results on drug treatment and longer-term outcomes.

• LoriWNY
    LoriWNY Member Posts: 178
    edited December 2014
    Options

Melissa--Thank you for sharing this encouraging news! My Oncotype score was a 6. I had 1 positive node, was ER+/PR+/HER+, and was pre-menopausal. I declined chemo and radiation after a bilateral mastecomy, received Herceptin for 1 year, took Tamoxifen prior to my hysterectomy, had a total hysterctomy, and then switched to Femara. It has been a little over two years since my diagnosis and I am doing well. I just had a battery of tests including breast/chest CT scans, a breast ultrasound, and a breast MRI and everything looks good!

• aug242007
    edited December 2014
    Options

LoriWNY, So glad you read this.  I also had Stage IIa with isolated tumor cells in one sentinel node.  So glad to see more info coming out on Oncotype.  I am 7 years post diagnosis and doing well.  Had Oncotype of 11 and did no chemo.  Did Arimidex for 7 years. 

• aug242007
    edited January 2015
    Options

I had the BCI test and had a score of 5.3 which means I will be benefit from continuing endocrine therapy for 10 years.

• aug242007
    edited January 2015
    Options

Just interested in stats, has anyone with a low Oncotype (less than 11) gone to Stage 4?

• mamam
    mamam Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2015
    Options

My oncotype is 6. 5%.

• aug242007
    edited January 2015
    Options

So glad people are still sharing.

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited January 2015
    Options

Aug242007 my Oncotype score is 9 but I was dx out of the gate with mets to my bones so I'm not sure if that qualifies as an answer.

• PressPause
    PressPause Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi everyone. First post. End of a looooong day and a very full head. Turned 45 last week. Was diagnosed in Nov w IDC. 1.5 cm. After much deliberation, chose bilateral mast w reconstruction. I know the stats say that lumpectomy would have given me the same recurrence rate. I just followed my gut, which was also influenced by watching my mother go through all this for years, and finally lose her battle. Results from pathology: clear margins, nodes from SNB clear, E+, P+. Her2-. Met w my oncologist today to get results of Onco. My score is 22. He told me that he uses 25 as his "cut-off" when people have a score in the intermediate area between 18 and 31. Below 25 and he does not recommend chemo. Of course ultimately he will support my choice, and I am so overwhelmed with this decision. I am mostly healthy but do have a heart condition called Atrial Fibrillation (my heart sometimes goes into an irregular beat that will either revert with meds or a few times only by cardioversion). I also have a history of some kidney issues that can cause a reflux. According to dr. chemo would not cause any issues with either of these issues…but then none of us really know how chemo will affect us as it's so individual. I know also that chemo can cause a lot of nerve issues, and that is an area I seem to already struggle with. My mastectomy went without a hitch, my healing has been great so far (knock on wood, as I'm just 6 weeks post), but the nerve pain I have had in my back, and now in my upper neck is pretty bad!

I keep waiting for my gut to kick in as it did with the mastectomy vs lumpectomy decision, but so far I am both not convinced that I should take my dr's advice of no chemo NOR say just go for it all and do the chemo anyway. Tomoxifan is being recommended either way, so that will start either asap or after chemo if I choose to have chemo regardless of dr's recommendation. According to my oncologist, with a score of 22, I am placed at a recurrence rate of btwn 10-14%. (am assuming this includes tomoxifan as we know I am going on that). He says chemo would reduce that rate by max of 2%. There is sooooo much info on here, and all of it is so helpful, and makes me awed by how many brave brave women are on here! I would love to hear people's thoughts.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited February 2015
    Options

Since you are in the dreaded intermediate range and unsure, I would suggest asking bout another genomicntest, Mammaprint. Their scoring is either high or low benefit from chemo. Furthermore, I would ask that a tumor board review your case. Lastly, register at the NCCNs website and read the professional version(red logo) of the breast cancer treatment guidelines.

One more point...since the OncotypeDX test was developed, the data used for the test is based on taking Tamoxifen for 5 years. Since then, more data is suggesting that there is some benefit to taking Tamoxifen for up to 10 years, which further improves survival. Perhaps that is why your doctor uses a 25 Oncotype DX score as the cut off. Results of TailorX will be released later this year which should hopefully move many more sisters out of the reader intermediate range! Doesn't help you now...but should help make the choice easier for others down the line.

Good luck!

• shelleym1
    shelleym1 Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2015
    Options

just got oncotype back. It's a 15.

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    edited February 2015
    Options

Shelleym1 Yippee! that is great good news!!!

• meow13
    edited February 2015
    Options

Shelley m1 I'll trade scores. I have oncodx number envy

• aug242007
    edited February 2015
    Options

To all researching taking the AIs for 10 years, you may wish to take the BCI test.  This tests will give you information about your tumor and if the AIs will give you benefit.  The test is similar to the Oncotype.  Ask your onc about it.  I had it 7 years after my Dx and found that continuing the AI would give me a 16% better chance of no recurrence.  The BCI was free for me. Some Insurance does cover the test now so check with your insurance.  The test will give you scientific information as to continuing the AIs.  You may PM me if you have any questions.

• aug242007
    edited February 2015
    Options

AmyQ, so sorry but thanks so much for sharing.

• Damselfly
    Damselfly Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi all,

I had a score of 31, plus more than one tumor spread out through my breast (I only had the one removed) so opted for chemo. There wasn't really a question in my MO's mind, and I just made her explain all the numbers to me twice so I could remind myself that it was worth it when I was feeling bad. Don't know for sure the numbers but I think chemo is supposed to cut my risk in half (from 20 to 10 I guess.

UNI MX 1/13, A/C beginning 2/16, and probably Tamox after that. :)

Geronimo!!!

• oesgal
    oesgal Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi everyone, I am a new member. Yesterday I met w/ my Onc & received an oncotype score of 14. In my mind that was good news, I am at the low risk range & that's a 9% reoccurance rate on TMXF alone. However, my Onc threw a wrench in my decision making by stating the TailorX trials (which moves me into the intermediate risk 11-25). He also stated that due to my age (38), I should consider chemo. He said that chemo can potentially bring it from 0-2% lower, but with no guarantees. I would greatly appreciate some insights. I am torn on the decision of chemo or not.Scared

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited April 2015
    Options

i suggest you get a second opinion and/or request a tumor board review your case. Furthermore, familiarize yourself with the SOFT/ TEXT trial. Also, register at the NCCN'S website and read the professional version (red logo) of the breast cancer treatment guidelines.

That said, a score of 14 is low risk of recurrence and there is little or no benefit from chemo. The TailorX trial that your physician refers to is presently ongoing and its results should be know later this year. For the purpose of the trial, those patients with scores of 11 thru 25 were randomized to either receive chemo or not. The trial was designed to pinpoint where those patients with intermediate scores between 18 and 30 would truly benefit from chemo....by pulling in the lower scores (11-18), hopefully, there will be statistical significance when the trial is unblinded. Who knows? It might determine that chemo's true benefit might not be realized until scores reach 25 or more. Remember, the trial was begun because they wanted to get as many patients out of the dreaded " intermediate" score which is between 18 and 30. Until the data is revealed, 14 is a low score!

Regarding SOFT/ TEXT...premenopausal ER +, HER 2 negative patients who are younger than 40 seem to do well taking Tamoxifen and ovarian suppression.

Good luck!