Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2009

I had rotator cuff tear 2 yrs pre-bc so it wasn't the Arimidex but I have had the popping in the same shoulder since Arimidex which had me concerned.  The popping has stopped however.  No other se's except the knees right now.  The left I do believe is related to the arimidex but I don't think it's the case with my right side.  Always had problems with the hip; the knee can be because of my adjusting for the hip problems.  It's only 5 months so there's still time but I'm going on the assumptin that it will be doable for 5 yrs and 3 months!

• andthensome
    andthensome Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2009

I took Arimidex for 5 1/4 years (finished in April of '07).  I took it with lunch.  During the periods when I had trouble sleeping, I took tylenol pm two nights in a row, which worked for me.  Good luck to you.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2009

Oh, that's right, I also have been taking tylenol PM.  Same as you I will take it 2 nights in a row and then won't have to take if tor several nights but then find I need to do it again.  Rather than take 2 PM's I will take one tylenol PM and one regular tyleno..  I take my Armimdex at night - mornings just wasn't working for me as I would forget.  I didn't seem to have a problem with sleeping.  I take the tylenol because of the stiffness which was keeping me up.  (or so that's what I think - who knows?)

• kamico3
    kamico3 Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2009

Re Arimidex side effects: has anyone had any problems with tooth and/or jaw pain? Starting shortly after I started taking the arimidex it started being painful to chew on the right side of my mouth. I assumed that there was something wrong with one of my molars on that side but I went to the dentist and she couldn't find anything wrong, even after taking Xrays. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem.

• chiquita
    chiquita Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2009

I had jaw problem before BC and so far Arimidex only give me joints pains...my hair came back as before BC the only difference is grows very slow...3 months on and 5 years to go!!!

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2009

My only compalint is that my feet and hands ache when I get up in the morning. Hard to get that first cup of tea! I have to get up very slow from bed. That makes it rough when I get up during the night. Sometimes at night I can't get to sleep. My legs hurt and I can't get comfortable and have to take tylenol PM. I also drink a small glass of wine before bed. Something I have tried to do but not every night. My mom started me on that when I was around 14. Said it was good for my blood! I go back to me ONC on the 20th and will ask more questions.

• sobx
    edited August 2009

Last night after work I wasn't tired and sat up for a while before going to bed. when I did go to bed I had muscle spasms in my legs. Needless to say I was awake for some time after going to bed. Any one else having these pains?

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    lovemyfamilysomuch Member Posts: 762
    edited August 2009

Sobx, Sorry about the muscle spasms.  How bad are they?  Not sure what to suggest, but wanted to let you know that I heard you. Hugs

Ellen

• unique
    unique Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2009

Hello everyone - Sobx I believe I remember you from the chemo or radiation board. I was in OctChemo I think. Anywhoo, I have been on Arimidex for 3 months now and it is all right. I had trouble sleeping for a couple nights in a row, but I realized I have to take my Paxil and Benadryl and then about an hour later go to bed, if I wait I am screwed, tee hee. And no taking it earlier, like right after dinner, or the same thing. As long as I go to bed when the sleepy feeling starts ... Also, I tend to wake up in the morning around 5am. Fortunately I can usually go back to sleep again but I get the feeling my sleep is less restful. In the mornings or if I am driving more than just a quick jaunt around town, my hands gets stiff. But I can still bead just fine one it wears off.

In the Spring before it got nice I was doing Wii Fit every day, the yoga and the aerobic things. That made me feel good. Sometimes walk around the mall. This summer I again have a pool membership and swim a couple times a week. I have to watch that I don't overuse my right arm (something happened to my non-mast arm near end of rads, it started to hurt, the position? And then it sort of ached all Spring, but I knew it wasn't the Arimidex because it started before I started the Arimidex.) So I don't do the crawl, I do the backstroke without arms and that is a good way to do my laps. My arms don't need the exercise except to keep my mast side from tightening up.

Anyway I thought you all would want to know someone who is not having too many problems, all this for newbies might seem less trepidatious. Of course I may get into trouble later ...

I also had a mammo last month and it was clean. Doesn't mean nothing is going on, but was nice to hear all the same.

I got my first haircut finally, Little Orphan Annie was turning into Marge Simpson, so I had to do something, and my short cut is very cute and I feel young and happy.

I did have a rough patch with feeling really cranky a couple weeks after starting the Arimidex, I think it was partly that and some stress my son was giving me. But it's better now.

• sobx
    edited August 2009

Hi Annie - Yes I was on the Oct board for chemo and Feb board for rads. Last night after I got home from work i was reading and watched my leg jump a few times. Scared my dog and she thought I was playing with her. I guess I have to take the PM stuff and then go to bed. Best if I take it with me to work so I won't be up half the night waiting to get sleepy. Take it when I'm closing the office and then I should be in bed by 12. Have my first mamo next week and find out results on the 20th. It should be okay from what everyone is saying. But then again they didn't feel anything when they found it. Keeping my fingers crossed and prayers going. My hair has come in curly and so far enjoying it. My hairdresser just shaves the back of my neck. I will have to get it trimmed up soon. I'm just happy to have hair again. Pyrate Invasion is going on so I will go back into town and see some of that. A Pyrate, the rum maker, offered my some of his drink last night and I could really smell the rum. He was having fun. Time for the grown-ups to play make beleive and they do it good. Some people never grow up. And this one is a teacher in Virginia Beach. Another lady is a postal worker. Hey - I can wear some of my scarves and fit right in now. Have a great weekend.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited August 2009

Unique, my husband asked me a couple of days ago if I wanted to buy the Wii so I could get the Wii Fit.  I'm wondering if I would use it enough to justify the cost of the Wii.  I tried one in Jan. at a friend's house in FLA and thought it was so much fun.  Do you use your Wii Fit a lot?

Joy, what is Pyrate Invasion?

I'm dragging this morning.  Yesterday was 2 weeks post-up and my husband and I went to a dinner party in my honor.  It was very enjoyable, but at 9pm I found myself suddenly tired.  Didn't get up this morning until 8:30 am, late for me.  My husband is in the kitchen cooking us a hearty breakfast. 

I plan to take it easy this weekend and let healing continue.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited August 2009

I too have good days and bad days.  Some days I take 3 Advil just to get out of bed.  Other days I am fine.  I definitely find that a good brisk walk makes a huge difference.

To those waiting to start an AI and reading these, remember that there are probably lots of women out there that have no SE's.  My mom was one.  Because they are doing okay they don't post on these types of topics. 

• sobx
    edited August 2009

Carole, I'm located on the coast and where the pirates invaded. Several are buried in the big cemetery here. Blackbeard, of course, even had a home here. So this weekend the "pyrates" invade the town. They have an encampment, duels, rum maker, boats and all. They are coming in by water this afternoon which will include the canons and mayhem. Pirates, wenches and kids. I wore the scarves this past winter so I have plenty for today.  Fun for all. You could eat at the fish fry last night with the pirates. Kids go nuts over this and the adults have a reason to be kids again. I think the website is pyrateinvasion.com. Off to town. Hugs to all.

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2009

Hi Unique!!  Just saw you on this board.  We crossed paths late last year when I was starting chemo and you were moving on.  I live in Easton and get treatment at UPenn.  Your hair looks adorable.  Mine is coming in curly so I'm keeping it super short for the summer.

I've been on Arimidex for 5 months.  So far I've had cortisone injections in my right wrist and left knee because the pain was debilitating.  That worked but I still have severe joint pain and stiffness in my hands and lower back.  Sometimes in the middle of the night(pee break) it takes me forever to get out of bed and across to the bathroom and in the morning I walk like an arthritic 90 yr old woman until things start to loosen up.  I am 52!! and very active on a daily basis - running, walking, biking, spinning and lifting and we live in a 6th floor walkup.  Most days when I arrive home at 5 and climb those steps nothing will get me back downstairs and I'm in bed by 7-8.  Someone mentioned jaw pain back couple of posts.  I had that too for over a month and the dentist couldn't find a thing.  My onc said it couldn't be the Arimidex and probably left over from chemo SE's - whatever.  I'm willing to stick it out but it's nice to find this board to see what others are doing for relief.  Have a great weekend all.

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    edited August 2009

Hi everyone!  Today my hand are killing me, so stiff and feel like claws.  Also, I am starting to gain weight!  Such a teeny little white pill. . . . Anyway, got results from my mammo back, and it showed "an area we belive is benign".  Onc said it was scar tissue from clip and lumpectomy.  Still kind of unnerving, but good I guess. Right?  Sometimes this worry gets old.  Praying for all our sisters out there

Ellen

• sobx
    edited August 2009

Ellen think positive!! Everything will work out in the end. You are in my prayers. I go for my mamo next week and scared about it. My one year anniversary is coming up.  Joy

• weesa
    weesa Member Posts: 78
    edited August 2009

Looking over a previous post of mine about AI side effects I realize I misspelled my disorder which causes tendons to inflame and then become weakened where attached to the bone: The correct spelling is enthesopathy--in my post earlier I misspelled it entheospathy. Just a thought if somebody tried to google it they way I had spelled it they would not have gotten very far. Sorry.

• sobx
    edited August 2009

OMG - Wole up this morning and did my usual stretch to move everything before getting out of bed and my hip popped! Hope it is a one time thing. Joy

• cw89134
    cw89134 Member Posts: 62
    edited August 2009

I've been taking Arimidex for almost 5 1/2 months and was starting to feel increased joint pain. In looking around, I happened to see the following thread and decided to try Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/78/topic/635494 

I've been taking the G/C/M for about a week and a half and I must say (at the risk of giving things a whammySmile) that the pain has improved. I bought a product called Flexamin Triple Strength at Walmart. Here is the link:

http://flexamin.com/

I definitely plan on mentioning it to my onc when I see him at the end of the month. Just thought I'd mention it on this thread.

• lisalisa
    lisalisa Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2009

Hi everyone!

I'm stopping by to introduce myself!  I had a hysterectomy this past Monday (6 days ago) and had my ovaries/tubes and uterus removed.  I wanted the estrogen out of my body as my tumor was highly ER+.  I took tamoxifen when I ended radiation and had no issues at all.

I start Arimidex tomorrow.  Hoping for the best.  I'm 46 and while a bit overweight, I'm in good shape....I walk about 5 miles a day and bike too.  I haven't been able to do other exercise for some time due to breast surgeries, etc.   In mid September, I'll finish my reconstruction and hopefully, after all this be able to start swimming, working out with weights,etc.

I had a vaginal sling added in my most recent surgery so I can't lift more than 5 lbs for 6 weeks.  So, walking is it.

I'll check in soon after my first few days of Arimidex!

Off to read this entire thread now!

Lisa

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    edited August 2009

good Luck Lisa, glad to have you join us!  Take care of yourself and give yourself time to heal!

Ellen

• chiquita
    edited August 2009

Arimedex is ok for some people and full of SEs to others!!!!

I have joints pain all the time, I walk like a 80 year old and my hips is hurting a lot...I have also a skin bumps like if was cold and is 100 degrees, the nurse at clinic told me to put a coat because I must be cold!!!!

I do not sleep more than 2 hours and even with Tylenol 2 the joint pain will keep me from sleeping, well I had seep troubles before all this start. Good luck to all and please God help me not to give up.

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited August 2009

Hi Lisa, I had the total ooph/hyst also in March!  I've been on arimidex for 7 months now, and all I have is stiff feet in the AM which just walk out in about 10 minutes and while I initially had some stiffness getting up and down from squatting, that seemed to have mellowed out also.  I heard all these horror tales about hyst/oophs, and nothing has come true.  It's fine.

I have lost weight, feel well, no hot flashes, some mild sleep stuff, but no biggie.  Biggest complaint has been the Rice Krispie popping hips.  Doesn't hurt at all, or crunch or grind, but they do pop, the right worse than the left.  All it really is is disconcerting.  I notice it when I walk, after about 20 minutes.  It's quite weird.

What a beautiful little baby!  Yours?  She is utterly delicious!!

xoxo

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited August 2009

Chiquita,

I don't know if its the same I was chills all the time on Arimidex, felt like was going to have a flue, I switched to Femara and don't have those anymore, joint pains of course but no chills, maybe the solution for you.

Welga

• cathie64
    cathie64 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2009

I have my last radiation treatment tomorrow.  Then I will start on Arimidex.  This forum is great for information and at least I know what to expect.  Worried about the bone loss as my dexa scan was not good.  Started on calcium and vitamin D, and need to call Dr for refill of Boniva.

• lisalisa
    edited August 2009

thanks for the warm welcome and the compliments on my baby girl!!!  yes, she's mine!  i was 40 when I had her!  yikes!

well, I popped that 1st pill tonight....we'll see!  hoping for the best or at least to be too busy to notice otherwise!

• lisalisa
    edited August 2009

I'm just meeting all of you on this thread, but thought I may as well ask..... 

I need your VOTE/COMMENT.   This is for a $6,000 branding/website package.  I want to win this and launch HowToFightLikeAGirl.org   Person with the most votes wins!  and I want to build a website for newly diagnosed breast cancer patients....with all kinds of resources to help them!

go to http://www.ebsiwebsites.com/_blog/EBSI_Main_Blog/   you'll see my name (Lisa Mittleman) and a hawaiin sunset photo.  you don't even have to watch the montage.  just click on the "comments" section below my name.....and leave a quick comment about why I should win.   THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lisa

• chiquita
    edited August 2009

Lisalisa welcome and please tell me about the Reconstruction...what is your taken on that ...is painfully?

Welga is not chills on my case is little bumps that look like goose bumps and is in my arms and legs...

• sobx
    edited August 2009

Lisa - tried the website to vote and the word verification wouldn't work. I'll try later. Hot flashes for me are getting worse. See the ONC on the 20th.  Fingers hurt and hard to grab that first cup of tea in the morning.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited August 2009

Apologies in advance if I'm repeating myself, but do any of you Arimidex users take effexor to help with the hot flashes?  I'm on my 2nd wk of effexor to help with the hot flashes that started up again when I stopped HRT following dx.  The effexor is already eliminating the hot flashes.  I'm wondering if it will also help when I begin taking Arimidex.