Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• mcgaffey
    mcgaffey Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2009

Generic Arimidex is being made in other countries. I have generic Arimidex from my hospital pharmacy now starting in June. So it is out there but not in the states.

• caroleb
    caroleb Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2009

Thanks "my3girls!  Feel much better knowing someone else experienced to same type of itch. Was beginning to think it was all in my imagaination.  So far my depression/anxiety level is manageable.  I have taken an antidepressent for years and it helps.  I am tired all the time but get out and walk every day (almost every day).  I am hungry all the time which is OK as long as I don't gain weight.  I love this web site and the women of courage I am meeting.

caroleb

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited August 2009

HI all, I just wanted to stick my two cents in here....have been on arimidex for 7 months now.  Right hip pops, but does not hurt, the achies left after about 3 months (and beginning an exercise program) and I never really had any hot flashes, but maybe they will be along?

Anyway, I can actually track the benefit of exercise from the moment of starting.  Took about 4 weeks for the achies to leave me, but they did.  I still get stiff in the AMs and have trouble walking for a bit, but it tends to work itself out in about 10 minutes or so.  I do airstepper for 20 mins. most days, exercycle or race walk most days 1/2 hour.  What a difference it has made!!!  I am going to take up yoga also, seems like it'd be a good thing.

All I can say about my experience with this drug so far, is  exercise, exercise, exercise.  Consistency seems more important than effort or duration.  If I sit too long, I do tend to stiffen up, but I have made it a practice to not do that for longer than I must.  Hubby just has to stop and let me stretch, and he understands he has to do that.  I really think they should prescribe some form of exercise when they give you the drug!  I was incredibly stiff when I began it, and it has sort of mellowed itself out.

Haven't had another bone scan, not due til October, but was told my bones were "perfectly normal" but they wrote osteopenia.  I assume that was to get insurance coverage, altho I am very small boned.  May have had some thinning there.  I have been taking calcium, 1500 mg., D3, 1000 mg. daily along with a multi.  I was on fish oil caps until my onc yanked me off, citing worries about phytoestrogens.  As for soy, was told soy sauce is fine (you don't use enough of it to matter), but that soy milk, tofu, yoghurt, types of foods are O U T for us ER+ gals.  Also phytoestrogenic foods.  Always something.

Helen, I'm the same, 1st time was 2001, IDCIS, 2nd, new primary 1.25 no nodes both highly estrogen +++.  I pulled the plumbing to be done with it.  I feel such relief after having done that, can't tell you!

Good luck all.

• Annabella58
    edited August 2009

p.s. Sue61, I have found that every time I get those little itches since surgery, then I regain some feeling a bit later.  this has been consistent, I think it may be the nerves regenerating.  I am 1 1/2 years out of initial surgery and slowly (heralded by little itchies) the feelings are coming back.

• Annabella58
    edited August 2009

oops: more ps: (I really should read the posts all first):

I get my arimidex from Canada and I was told not to get the generic, but get the name brand.  If you do get generic, be very sure your country of origin is Canada, as some of the arimidex coming in is from India or China, and they cannot guarantee the purity of it.

I get Astra Zeneca, name brand, and have had very good experiences with it.  My onc has OKd it from them.

Good luck

• chiquita
    chiquita Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2009

I too get itch that comes and goes...no big!!!

I do get hot flashes and feels like I have small needles poking through my skin...I do have a bumps like Gus bumps from being cold in my arms, legs and back...do  any one out there has the same bumps?

I am on Arimidex and calcium, vit D, Tylenol 2, fish oil caps...I just so the posting about phytoestrogenic!!!! God I am going nuts!!!!!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited August 2009

anniealso, did your onc say anything about dairy products?  And what are some of the foods you avoid because of the phytoestrogens?

• Mona-Me
    Mona-Me Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2009

Hello everyone!  I am new to this site.  I just started taking Arimidex on August 13, 2009.  I know this has not been very long, but as far as the time to take this medication, I take mine during my evening meal and have had no problems with sleeping.  So far I have only had one real hot flash, which I am grateful for, as going through surgical menopause; I had them quite often.  My family doctor told me to start taking Vitamin E for hot flashes after my surgery; this did help immensely, but now that I have been diagnosed with bc, having had radiation and now Arimidex, have not gone back on the Vitamin E.  I only hope I do not have all the side effects discussed.  My medical oncologist too felt it was better for me to take Arimidex, he said less side effects for someone my age (67).  Blessings to all of you.

• sockmonkeylover
    sockmonkeylover Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2009
    anniealso,  Did you say your onco told you fish oil had phytoestrogens?  I have never heard that!  Here I am taiking fish oil for post hysterectomy joint aches.  Has anyone else every heard this?  Boy, you never know what you are taking!  I will definitely stop if this is the case.  Not worth the risk.
  • hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited August 2009
    cw89134, yes I opened that site...thanks. My pharmacy did not indicate that there was a generic in Canada at this time. If there was, they have to tell me about it. So, I'm unsure about that website. Next time I am there, I will ask again but I was told by some other Canadian women that there is not yet a generic for Arimidex in Canada. Mona-Me, I started the Arimidex on Aug. 12 ....so 6 days ago. I am taking fish oil every day as well as Glucosamine, Chrondroitin, MSN.....also trying to do some exercise every day....usually about 30 minutes on the elliptical machine. I have not heard that fish oil can mimic estrogen. Now I don't know what to do. But so far I don't  have se's that I can identify. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • magcline
    magcline Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2009

I don't think it really matters when you take the Arimidex, at least it doesn't seem to make a difference for me.  I'm one of the lucky ones with "severe" side effects that include the muscle spasms (up and down the entire length of both legs), joint pain, hot flashes and what I call "deep bone" pain (I don't know how else to describe it) in the long bones of my legs and upper arms.  I went off the Arimidex for three months and switched to Femara, but with the Femara, I became totally lame and unable to walk at all so I switched back to Arimidex.  We've done bone scans, bone density tests etc. and I'm fine according to the tests, but the SEs are enough to make me depressed beyond belief.  I can't even exercise or walk around the block most days.  I experience severe shortness of breath if I climb to my second story too fast (this might be due to the adriamycin) and it's very discouraging.  When I finished my chemo, I was looking forward to my recovery but sadly, it's not going well.  I'm terrified not to take the AIs and terrified to go onto tamoxifen so if you all have any other ideas, I'm all ears.  Oh, I forgot to mention that I live on Alleve (two a day) and have discovered the joys of sleeping on Advil PM.  I am just concerned about taking too much NSAIDs because they started to affect my kidney function.  Like I said, I'm all ears to any suggestions that may help.

• sockmonkeylover
    edited August 2009

magcline, I got off of Arimidex after 7 weeks!  The joint pain and fatigue were awful.  I am now back on tamoxifin.  It had absolutely no side effects that I've found.  I've been on it for about a year now.  Ask your doc about tamoxifin.  Quality of life is very important!  Good luck and hang in there, we all understand what you are going through!!!

• sockmonkeylover
    edited August 2009

Ok, I just googled this and the only connection I could find was that some fish oils may contain flax oil, which is a phytoestrogen.  I checked and my bottle didn't list flax, I have a cheap-o Target brand fish oil.  I only take one and the bottle says to take 3 a day.  If anyone else has any more info than that, we would appreciate it.  Thanks

• Mona-Me
    Mona-Me Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2009

Jo-5, thank you so much for your words of encouragement.  I needed that.  I find now that I feel tired alot more.  I finished my radiation treatments on August 6, 2009, my radiation oncologist told me I might be feel the effect of being really tired.  I can handle it though; I have my faith.  I also have this site to turn to, which has been a blessing.

Blessings always,

Mona-Me

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2009

JO - you did it again - who you callin "old chick"?  Don't be going there!

Forgot to ask med ony about phytoestrogens - sigh.  He did say that soy was not good for tamoxifen but did not "think" it was the same for Arimidex.  Said he would have to check!!!!!  I was a little less than happy with him.  He asked about any se's, which I had to admit that after only 5 months are not significant. He did a thorough breast check and said looked good, NED  I had to suggest a bone scan to which he agreed.  Why did I have to suggest it?  Arimides = bone issues; should = baseline dexa, period!

My nurse practitioner said to ask about flu shots and pneumonia vaccine.  He said flu shot was not necessary (I've never had one before) but the pneumonia vaccine was a good idea. 

He was totally non-commital on any foods to avoid and actually did not encourage questions.  See him again in 3 months.

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited August 2009

Patoo, I have been told I have to have a flu shot every year,

cause I have alot of trouble with blood count going down.

Jo, We are a tough bunch, with alot of love to share. Mona

I am on Arimidex and have aches but to me it is worth it. My

Cancer came on in 6 months and if it help keep it from returning

I will take it. God bless you as you start down your healing road.

Take Care, Footprints

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2009

I go to the ONC on Thursday. Had my blood work done last week and have a list of questions that I hope someone will answer. I guess the doctors don't know beause they haven't been here and done that like us. I have never had the bone density test. Guess I will ask about that too. Hope they have a lot of time set aside for me! Went to Church on Sunday and finally sat down and let everyone else stand. Too much up and down for me to handle. Now I feel age!! Hope everyone has a great day. I have yoga this afternoon and then work tonight. I mowed and walked yesterday and waxed my car. I beleive it was too much for one day. Have to get it done while I can and feel like it.  I don't get too many energy blasts. Joy

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2009

Mine will be a dexa for a baseline and then he said another a year later.  After that I don't know; I guess depends on what the 2nd one shows.   My mom had brittle bones so there may be some loss on the Arimidex.  I am taking glucosamine chondroitin, Calcium and Vit D plus a multi-vitamin and try to motivate myself to exercise because that helsps as well.

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2009

Asked a thousand questions and got some answers. Mamogram was great and blood work is still running marginal but was told that it still could be chemo effects. They put me on ibuprofen for the pain to see if that helps. Rather go over the counter before prescription. So I take them twice a day. Restless leg syndrome is part of the SE's with arimidex too. Exercising is good and will help me from getting to stiff. She wants me to try it for the next three months. I have gained 2 and half pounds but I did lose 10 with this so we aren't worried about the weight gain. And she told me to continue to take the "d". And didn't say anything about a bone scan. So I guess I'm doing okay.

• aug242007
    aug242007 Member Posts: 186
    edited August 2009

More side effects of Arimidex that I am having sores in mouth and very sensitive like having drank hot liquid.  Also, skin becming very thin due to estrogen withdrawl.  I have a frequent sunburn effect to my face or chest that then goes away.

Question:  I have seen those encouraging the use of the B vitamins for hair thinning.  Is there any problems with using those?

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2009

I was just asked to participate in an acupunture study for joint pain from Arimidex.  Sounds interesting, although I don't know which group I will be in.  I've never had acupunture before.  Any thoughts? or experiences?

Bobbi

• Unknown
    edited August 2009

Bobbi - I have had acupunture a few times over the years and have always had great success with the treatments.  I have never felt the acupunture needles and I really hate needles.

If you are in the group that gets the acupuncture, just a heads up that I have read that those of us who have had lymph nodes removed should not have needles or blood pressure done on the "surgery side".  Have no idea where they would place the needles for this type of study but probably better to be safe than sorry.  Good luck

Carol 

• chiquita
    edited August 2009

I am reading Dr.Mercola's letters and suggestions on breast cancer treatment and foods to avoid.

This is the link

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/current.aspx

look for the breast cancer area...some suggestions are stay way from flu shots!!!!!

Take vitamin D, breast cancer develop in most people with low vitamin D.

Take omega 3 and B 12.

Exercice!!!!

Good weekend to all!!!!

• chiquita
    edited August 2009

Sobx

My leg restless went way with vitamin E, A and D.

Please try it will help a lot.

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2009

Thanks Carol - I will remind about the lymph node thing.

Bobbi

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    lovemyfamilysomuch Member Posts: 762
    edited August 2009

Been on Arimedex for almost a month now.  Side effects are getting worse.  My fingers feel like claws and starting to get knee pain.  Also the weight gain.  Sigh

• DENTHOMAS
    DENTHOMAS Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2009

I've been on Arimidex since Feb 09.  No SE except some hot flashes in the evening. I use soy milk, I read Dr Susan Love's Breast Book & soy is a breast cancer fighter.  Also read Dr Lee's book "Things My Doctor Never Told Me About Breast Cancer". He states that natural progesterone cream will regulate the hormones in your body & explains how to use it if you have had a hysterectomy or breast cancer. It will help prevent a recurrence. I have given up dairy products & don't have the bloating or gas anymore. I also have had no weight gain due to the Arimidex. I do have osteopenia & take calcium & vit D. My onc Dr did a bone density scan before I started the Arimidex & will keep an eye on that since I am very small boned. I will see her next month for a check up.

• hrf
    edited August 2009

Denthomas, I'm confused about the soy as I have been told that ES+ women should avoid soy.

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957
    edited August 2009

Hi everyone,

Am wondering if anyone knows why some oncs prefer Femara and some Arimidex................. are they that different? On Fox news this morning one of the doctors was raving about Femara. I have been on Arimidex since December 08 and so far so good. Not a big issue just curious.

Thanks,

Pat

• hrf
    edited August 2009

I think the Femara has been around longer so there is probably more research about it. Does anyone have different information. I've been on the Arimidex for 10 days.