Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• KerryMac
    KerryMac Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2009

Hi everyone - I have just started on Arimidex. I was wondering how long it takes for the SE's to kick in. I am mildly achey in my wrists and feet, is this likely to get worse??

Thanks, Kerry

• candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited August 2009

Hi Kerry,

It took over a year for me. I thought I was gonna get away with SE's..what was I thinking.

I notice some of you girls use glucosomine. Did you talk to your oncs about taking this? I was just wondering, cause maybe I should take it too since I have knee,joint and hip pain.

Hugs and prayers

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2009

HI, my onc knows I take glucosamine/chondroitin w/MSM.  I took it for years, stopped and continued pain free but started again once the Arimides joint pain se's started.  Still have the joint aches but I'm guessing it would be much worse without the gluco/chond.  Also take Calcium, Vit D and a multi-vitamin.  JO, think I will add the fish oil as well.  My mom had brittle bones so I'm at increased risk because of the Arimidex. 

I didn't have to work up to full dose of gluco/chond but I know some (non bc) women who could not tolerate it because it made them retain water in their feet and legs.  It also takes about 4 weeks to notice any real relief. 

Kerry, everyone reacts differently.  I'm hoping you will be one who has little to no significant se's.

• cw89134
    cw89134 Member Posts: 62
    edited August 2009

I saw my onc yesterday and told him about my Arimidex se's and how I had started G/C/M and the great relief it actually brought for the pain in my left hip in only several days.

I literally almost cracked up when he said that he was interested for himself because he has lower back problems (Arthritis, he said). Anyway, I told him to go to Walmart and buy Flexamin Triple Strength. He seemed shocked that this stuff actually worked for me but interested that it might be helpful to him.

This was only the third time I had seen him as I'm not on chemo and I discovered that he has a delightful sense of humor. My husband and I were somewhat surprised because our initial impression was that he was a bit stuffy. I guess you can't always go by first impressionsSmile.

• wblibrary
    wblibrary Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2009

Just checking in again - after taking Arimidex for 5 months and dealing with the horrible side effects - I went off it for 3 weeks and my oncologist put me on Femara.  I've been on for about 5 weeks now and so far the only thing I've noticed that might be a side effect is hot flashes.  I'm pleased so far!  Those of you dealing with harsh side effects of Arimidex - remember - there are other options out there.  My onocologist said you just need to find the right fit for you!  Quality of life is everything

• Unknown
    edited August 2009

Hey gang...I have been on Arimidex now for just over 5 months and while my achy joints are totally tolerable what is not for me is the "blues", the don't want to be around people" and the dizziness and fatigue.  I have thought long and hard about this and have decided that I not want to go on other meds to counteract the SE's from this med so in Sept when I see my oncologist I will be letting him know...that's it.."put a fork in me, I'm done".

Anyone else feel this way? 

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2009

Just thought I would check in. I was dx a year ago today. My aches and pains are still going on but it beats the alternative. I take ibuprofen twice a day and it seems to be helping.                                    CW - do you take the g/c/m and the triple or just one of them? It took several weeks for the se's to appear and I had them with all of the al's. I've taken arimidex, femara and aronasin and went back to arimidex.  I'm also waiting to see what "Danny" will bring to us on the coast. So far nothing, but I did put anything away light. I think we are suppose to get rain later on and some wind. I don't go back to work till Saturday night.  Have a great weekend.  Joy

• wblibrary
    wblibrary Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2009

Purple Me - your chance of recurrence increases by about 30% if you don't take an estrogen blocker.  I had the blues on Arimidex too.  I'm on Femara now and I'm also on Prozac to help with the depression - it does help.  It's only 5 years of your life - is it worth the gamble to NOT take anything? 

• cw89134
    cw89134 Member Posts: 62
    edited August 2009

sobx,

I only take the Flexamin Triple Strength for the joint se's of Arimidex. It contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM.

http://www.flexamin.com/pages/triple.asp

The recommended dosage is two pills a day, preferably with meals. I found that I was getting somewhat constipated so I cut back to one pill a day a few days ago. So far, it's still good. Once in a while I feel a little ache here or there but nothing like the pain I felt before I started taking the Flexamin.

I hope this continues for the next 4 1/2 years!

• ruthe245
    ruthe245 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2009

Hi, I'm new on here and have been on Arimidex for 6 weeks.  I have read quite a few of your posts but haven't seen anyone complain about being depressed or moody.  I had reconstructive surgery in early August and thought my depression was a result of not being happy with the results.  But I'm starting to think that the Arimidex is causing it.  Has anyone else experienced this side effect?  I'm thinking of calling my doctor and asking for a change of medication because I don't think I can deal with this depression for the next 5 years.  I'm also tired all the time and can't sleep, so my quality of life has really depleted.  If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. 

• KerryMac
    edited August 2009
    ruthe - so sorry to hear what you are going through. My Onc told me that we could switch if I was having troubling SE's. It may be worth you trying a different AI, to see if you feel any better. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right "fit". Also a mild anti-depressant might help lift your mood a bit, I also find exercise really helps me. You are right to talk to your Doctor - feeling miserable for 5 years would be no fun!!
  • hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited August 2009

I've been on the Arimidex for just over 2 weeks. I am feeling depressed but I think I was depressed before I even started the Arimidex so I can't tell if there is any real change. I have a little bit of achiness.

• ChrisC433
    ChrisC433 Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2009

Does anyone else have carpal tunnel? I had it prior to all of this, but I could manage it when it would flare up. Now with the Arimidex, it is flared up all the time and the Motrin and wrist braces are doing no good. I am up at least 10 times a night with shooting pains down my fingers. Any ideas??  I have been on Arimidex for 9 weeks.

I might look into Effexor for hot flashes.  Since it is an anti-depressant I figure I will get double duty from it!  My jjoints (hips and back) ache too.  I willl get some flexamin and try that too.  I am back to work teaching K, 1, and 2 so I need all the help I can get....my hands need fixed first!!

Take care all,

Chris

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2009

I think the depression goes with the al. The ONC keeps asking me about depression. I will try the triple flexmin after I finish off the g/c/m.  "Danny" only brought us bad thunder storms. The thunder woke me last night and my mutt jumped in bed with her tail between her legs and shaking. Sun is out this morning again.

As far as sleeping I take Tylenol PM to help. I now take ibuprofen. Whatver helps -  take! Restless leg syndrome is another  SE. Tiredness which I complain about is all part of the healing. I was told it will take a year or more after tx to get back on track. I sleep 8-10 hours and have no energy and that isn't me. But I do wake up every day!

• unique
    unique Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2009

Oh! I've been having dizziness for a couple weeks. Is that an Arimidex SE? I have done about 4 months of it. I had a dizzy couple of weeks before I started though. I thought it was a little ear infection, it cleared up. I was thinking this time I got some water in my ear from the pool and it irritated something. It's not non-stop vertigo, just a lurch or spinning for a couple seconds if I tilt my head to the left.

I never know if what I'm feeling is 1) normal 2) an SE or 3) cancer OMG!

Two new things - bladder taking a long time to empty, congestion in sinuses (could be seasonal).

I have the numbness in fingers but it usually disappears once I have my cuppa coffee and do my exercises.

• Jean09
    Jean09 Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2009

Hi Ladies,

Could someone give me a ballpark figure of the cost of Arimidex?  I just completed chemo and they are running tests to see which homone therapy I'll need.  From what I've read so far, this med doesnt sound like a walk in the park.  I guess I'll get with my PCP and up the milligrams of my aniexty medication, sounds like I'm going to need it!

Love everyone on this board!  Dont know how I'd get through any of this without you!

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited August 2009

Jean, Arimidex is pricey, about $10 a pill. My insurance picks up 70% of the cost as it is NOT GENERIC.

Astra Zeneca has their own website where you can get free stuff if your insurance doesn't cover it.

Sue

• Jean09
    Jean09 Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2009

HI Sue,

Thank you for the response. WHEW, that is expensive.  If this is the med I'll have to take, I hope my insurance will cover it, or a percentage like yours.  Sheesh, trying to stay healthy is too expensive - we need reform!!! 

I'll check out the Astra Zeneca site, thanks for this suggestion!!

Good luck to you!!!

• coonie
    coonie Member Posts: 2,582
    edited August 2009

Hello fellow Arimidexers:) I think that tiny white pill causes alot of side effects. I've had sinus problems since I started.....head feels kind of sloshy, joints hurt all the time (especially hands and feet). Oh, and I just picked up mine for the month, and it was $347! My insurance DOES NOT cover prescriptions. I think I was paying around $335, so I'm wondering if they went up. Sure beats cancer though:)

• KerryMac
    edited August 2009

Arimidex is going generic in 2010 I think, so it should hopefully get cheaper then. I pay about $275 a month in Canada, luckily our insurance covers 90% of it. Sooo expensive, but hopefully worth it!

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited August 2009

In Canada,  I paid $524 (Cdn) for 90 pills......worked out to be about $175 (Cdn) a month or $5.82 per pill. My insurance paid 100% of it. Once it goes generic the cost will come down significantly I hope.

On the package the pharmacist noted that Arimidex can cause dizziness &/or drowsiness.

• unique
    unique Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2009

Okay ~ so the dizziness could be the Arimidex. Huh. Today I really felt I have a full-fledged cold. Scratchy throat, post nasal drip, cloggy head. Took some Cold-Eze, will see if that helps. I did not take care of myself this week at all. Ate the wrong things, did not do my WiiFit or swimming, my son had lost the WiiMote, then found it again. Rained two days and I'm kind of afraid to dunk my head in water at the moment. I can kind of feel my ears full of water and I'm dizzy when I turn my head so swimming is a problem. Went to bed late and got up early and ate ... popcorn ... for supper two nights in a row and then had pizza. What the heck is wrong with me? Also bit off my nails which were nice to the nibs. Only explanation I have is flying to Pittsburgh for my niece's wedding was a little too much stress and I'm a bit unbalanced and it will have to wear off.

Yes, I do worry the dizziness is brain mets and the bladder is bladder mets, the shoulder ache is that bone mets? But I suppose I have to live with my aches and pains for the moment.

I do notice that when I exercise I feel 100% better, and when I don't I am really, really achy. So for gals that aren't exercising, it might help ALOT. I do yoga and a bit of aerobic, nothing strenuous, just gentle stretching and fun movement that gets my heart rate up a bit.

• kamico3
    kamico3 Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2009

I know someone who was taking arimidex and she had to go off it after less than a week because of non-stop dizziness.

• mcgaffey
    mcgaffey Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2009

I have had real problems with vertigo to begin with and then slight dizziness and tinnitus. It started after I had been on Arimidex for over a year. I am past my year two and continue to have tinnitus and occasional dizziness. I have been to an ENT, had brain scans etc. All clear in that regard and the ENT did special a maneuver and it stopped the extreme vertigo. I tend to think that Arimidex may affect our already "weak" areas. I have just decided to stick it out for now.

• mcgaffey
    mcgaffey Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2009

I do think airplane travel aggravates my condition.

• gymgirl
    gymgirl Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2009

Next week will be 18 months of Arimidex for me. The SE slowly appeared, starting wtih the depression. Each time I noticed something new I would sort of doubt it at first... really, another SE?! But they don't go away. I agree that whatever my body seemed destined towards has been made worse by the Arimidex. I take a low dose of Effexor every am for the depression. A low dose of Neurontin (gabapentin) every pm for hot flashes & insomnia. Boniva once a month for ostopenia. Restasis eye drops for dry eyes so I can wear my contacts. Was in a clinical trial for Estring for vaginal dryness and my Onc approved it so I've continued using it. Glucosamine-chondroitin-MSN for joints plus see a chiropractor. Regular aerobic exercise plus weght training and yoga  but still noticing a change in body fat distribution. And now I'm getting acupuncture. If my insurance will cover it, I'm willing to try it. The Arimidex makes me feel about 10 years older, achy, dried out and tired. It makes every day harder. But I'm more afraid of the BC recurring so I'll stay on it. It sounds like we all agree on that! 

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited August 2009

I've been struggling with dizziness since arount 5 years, before starting Femara. Had all kind of exams, nothing conclusive. I thiknk they are related to the herniated disk in my neck.

The solution I have found is 1/2 Ativan (1 mg) taken in the morning on an empty stomach, rids me of them for most of the day. Everything else has failed. Lots of people with ear problems causin dizziness use this as a method of coping with dizziness. Hope this helps.

• cinderella_1950
    cinderella_1950 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2009

I took Aramidex for about 3 months, and the SE's were bad. I have fibromyalgia and the SE of the meds doubled the pain.  Also, my memory sucks...not sure if that's from chemo still or the meds. I have changed to Femara and it's a "bit" better, but I'm still experiencing a LOT of fatigue and joint/muscle pain.  My eyes are so dry and my vision has changed. However, like JO said, it sure beats cancer!!  I've only been on these meds for almost a year so I have a long ways to go. I'm also on antidepressants, but I still have mood swings. Some days, I can cry all day...and there are days when I'm right on top of the world.

Well, gals...we need to encourage each other, and learn from one another.  I know I'm grateful I found this site, as I have learned so much from all you gals!  I lost lefty, but have an app'ment with the surgeon to have righty removed...no date is set yet.

God bless you all... and thanks so much!  :)  I do thank God that I'm alive!!

• rreynolds1
    rreynolds1 Member Posts: 62
    edited August 2009

Hi Everyone,

I just started Arimidex yesterday.  My question is about bone density.  Mine is normal so I did not get anything to keep them from getting weak.  My onc said they would retest in 2 years.  Given the proven SE of this drug it seems that 2 years is a long time between tests.  She said that was the guideline set for testing.  Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Roseann

• KerryMac
    edited August 2009

I will get scanned every year....