Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• lisa34lisa
    lisa34lisa Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2010

Hi Deborye.

I sent you a PM.  Laughing

• Medigal
    Medigal Member Posts: 183
    edited July 2010

Bella1976:  I am sorry about the problems your mom is having with the Arimidex. Unfortunately, it is not an easy drug to take but it can help us survive, in my opinion.  When my doctor gave it to me he also gave me an RX for anti-depressants and I had no idea why so I tore it up.  I would have been smarter to have used it since I have found out that many women have indicated it can be a big help with the side effects.  Why don't you see if your mom will ask her Oncologist if he thinks some anti-depressants can help her with the problems she is having?  Most of all, she should let her doctor know about the side effects and how they are making her feel so that he can see if he can prescribe something more to get her through this hard time coping with the Arimidex.  I am on my second 5 years with it and have forced myself to cope but it is not an easy thing to do especially if one has a family who needs them.  Best of luck to you and your mom!

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    edited July 2010

Bella - In addition to the anti-depressants for malaise and insomnia, maybe (a) some excedrin pm for insomnia, (b) some daily exercise, fish oil, CoQ10 and/or glucosamine condroitin for joint pain (but note gc takes at least 30 days to kick in) also, (c) some of the ladies here take mini vacations from Arimidex and then go back on it and things seem better or (d) sometimes they switch to another AI, and (e) if if your Mom's at all computer savy, just venting on these threads can help too.  We're all hereto help each other.

• horsegal13
    horsegal13 Member Posts: 46
    edited July 2010

Deborye-

Yes, it came out a couple weeks ago. Mine was only about $20 cheaper, but that's on my Prescription plan. Not sure what the total savings is.

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited July 2010

I will be 67 when I finish five years of Arimidex.  The onc will have to show me substantial evidence that Arimidex needs to be taken for longer than 5 years before I will stay on this drug for any longer than the first 5.  Statistics on recurrence are confusing at best and misleading at worst.  I want to see the math.  I am tired of the side effects and especially, I am tired of being tired.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited July 2010

There is a HUGE discussion about generic Arimidex under the heading GENERIC ARIMIDEX COSTS.  Too much info to repeat here but well worth reading. My cost went from $388/30pills to $28.99/30 pills!!!!

pam 

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited July 2010

I just got a 90 day supply in the mail for $15.00 - generic but the pills are identical to the Arimidex.

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited July 2010

Good morning, could someone please let me know if there is a consensus on imbibing while on A.  Is an occasional beer or glass of wine out of the question?  Should I throw out my gin-soaked golden raisins I used to take for OA?  Thank you.

• somanywomen
    somanywomen Member Posts: 82
    edited July 2010

Julia, if you type in the search area of google"estrogen inhibiting foods" you will get a good education on which foods reduce andwhich foods promote estrogen...

I have done so many positive anti-cancer diet changes since BC and I even changed what I put on my skin and cleaning items, almost changed everything to no-harm products...The one thing I have not been able to change is my alcohol intake, I have cut way back to about 3-4 drinks a week but more and more with all my research, even a few drinks a week has a very negative effect on the estrogen in our bodies...From every thing I read, alcohol plays a major role in raising estrogen levels in our bodies..See Below, there are many many articles on line for you to explore and come up with what is best for you..I have seriously been thinking that it would be best to stop drinking completely, wish me luck, I have been drinking since my early 20's.....

"Alcohol affects how estrogen is secreted and broken down. Thus, by drinking alcohol your estrogen levels will increase significantly both pre-menopausally and post-menopausally. As a result, after you drink you get spurts of estrogen that can be as high as 300 percent within 30 minutes of consumption. This is similar to the spurt of estrogen just prior to ovulation and may be responsible for a breast cancer-promoting effect."

• Julia257
    edited July 2010

Thank you so much, somanywomen, for this vital information, I am very grateful.  Those gin-soaked raisins are on the way out as we speak.  I do wish you luck, I'm quite sure you don't want to take any unnecessary risks as well.  It's a social thing I think that's enjoyable when we drink with our friends.  But I've also discovered in the last few months while abstaining that it's also a big kick to enjoy vicariously when your friends get a little, shall we say...un-stressed.  I wish you the best.  Thanks again.

• Medigal
    Medigal Member Posts: 183
    edited July 2010

So manywomen:  I tried bringing up a webpage about "estrogen inhibiting foods" but the one I found was not very precise especially on which cosmetics to avoid.  Do you have a particular webpage which gives more concise info on cosmetics?  I have always been concerned about putting perfume on my skin and end up putting dabs on my clothes instead.  My Onc said cosmetics on my skin should not be harmful to me but I have always questioned this.  I would like to read more about it but I can't find a webpage which makes it clear "what" ingredients" to avoid. Thanks for any help you can provide.  I can't and don't drink alcohol due to another medical problem so at least I don't have to be concerned about that.  I would like to learn more about how much other estrogen I am putting in or "on" my body unknowingly.  Thanks!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2010

If there is any issue at all, it would most likely be among the "anti aging" products.  So skin and body creams and possibly some types of foundation.

I would check these on a case-by-case basis checking for possible sources of estroidial.

I can't imagine using enough eyeshadown, liner, or mascara for it to make a difference.

But skin plumpers and wrinkle softeners could potentially contain these ingredients.

You can always use something like Vaseline if you are that worried.

Personally, I don't feel totally dressed w/o good skin creme and some nice perfume.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,466
    edited July 2010
    In the beginning I examined every single thing I ate, drank, rubbed on my skin with a fine toothed comb.......then gave up because I decided I'd die of a heart attack if I had to just be so stressed out and worried all the time. For me, I decided that just being moderate in eating habits, having a (very) occasional drink, keeping the weight down & the exercise up, was as much as I can handle. I just can't worry about whether or not my face cream or mascara is what is going to do me in. I don't think the tiny, tiny amount of gin on the raisins would make a bit of difference either (if you eat only 5 gin soaked raisins a day, which is what my aunt did for many years with great success, if you are eating them by the bowl full, that would be a different thing altogether Tongue out). Of course, everyone has to do what works for them, but try not to let all this rob you from all the enjoyments of life. 
  • jacksnana
    jacksnana Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2010

Well said, Ruth!

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited July 2010

Question: I have been on A since Jan 10, 7 mos, my fingernails are peeling, cracking, brittle and just a mess.  I have always had strong nails, so I have to connect my weak nails to arimedex. Is this an indication of what it is doing to my bones? My bone density was good in Jan before I started A.  Wondering if I should mention to my onc. Has anyone had this problem too?

• ruthbru
    edited July 2010

nmi, did you do chemo? Chemo can mess up the nails for a long time (like forever).

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited July 2010

I did not have chemo and I have been taking calicium and d3 since starting A. I also take multi-vitamin.

• ruthbru
    edited July 2010

then I don't know, any other diet changes? Couldn't hurt to mention it to the doc.

• Julia257
    edited July 2010

Any thoughts on my taking iron for anemia while on A?  At my appt on Wed. my onc said "you're anemic, come back in 3 months and we'll check it again".  What!!!  I feel the great concern eminating from him...NOT!  I've been taking raisins and beans, I'm a vegetarian.  btw, Ruth, my regimen was 9 gin-soaked golden raisins a day. 

I heard of a study that showed pomegranate juice, raspberries and strawberries act as aromatase inhibitors.

Have a great weekend everyone!  

(edited to add something)

• BrendaAreYouA4
    BrendaAreYouA4 Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2010

Chemo and A can wreak havoc on bone health!

I just saw oncologist.  He refused to order bone density after my heel was mysteriously broken so my PCP did.  Turns out I have had an 11.7% bone loss in less than 1 year.  That is at a rate of almost .25% per year.  My bone mass is at a 0.4 percentile rank when compared to the average 30 y.o. woman.

Complaining --- I was so pissed.  I asked onc if density should be treated prior to starting chemo in November 2009 since I was osteopenic.  He said no.  I asked him if I should start a biophosphonate in Feb 2010 since I had osteopenia as was starting A.  He said No.  When I broke my heel and asked if bone density should be checked or treated he said no.  Now I have full blown osteoporosis that is pretty severe.  

Onc said TC chemo X4 causes a one time bone loss of up to 7% (Now Ranting --Shouldn't I have been treated for bone density before chemo then???)

Onc said 'A' can cause up to a 2-3% annual bone loss (More Ranting -- shouldn't I have been treated for bone density when I started then???)

Boniva and other biophosphonates will stop bone loss from 'A' but will not reverse it to the extent that I need it reversed.  (It may reverse it by 1 to 2%.)

I started Boniva and will see a bone endocrinologist in August.  Onc was going to start with zometa (once a year infusion)  but I opted for Boniva so that encocrinologist could decide best possible treatment.    

OK I'll admit it, now I'm bitching ... Friends have told me that if I eat well, exercise, take calcium and Vit D Osteoporosis can be prevented and/or reversed.  Well my calcium is normal, Vit D is 51,000,  I have exercised 2 hours a day for over a year (1 hour weights, 1 hour aerobics, or yoga, or zumba, or pilates at least 5 days a week, at least).  No smoking or drinking.  I don't know what else I could do!

Pontificating -- I say -- Have bone density checked regularly when undergoing treatments that directly impact bone health! 

Well I feel better now!  That was a great therapy session.  Ya gotta laugh!  (Laughing beats crying on most days but some days crying is just what is needed!)

Brenda 

• somanywomen
    somanywomen Member Posts: 82
    edited July 2010

Medigal.....there is a great website that lets you check your cosmetics and rates them for the dangerous chemicals in them....I think your Onc is from old school, since so much of what is put on our skin can sink into out bodies and common sense only tells us that it could have harmful effects on us that are trying to stay away from these chemically enhanced estrogen products...Hope this helps, I check and read all labels these days....

go to www.cosmeticsdatabase.com..........www.goodguide.com

INGREDIENTS TO AVOID

Phthalates

DMDM hydantoin and Imidazolidinyl urea toxic contaminants
    Fragrance and dyes allergies, cancer, nervous system
    Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone allergies, nervous system
    Parabens or “-paraben” hormone effects
    “PEG” and “-eth” toxic contaminants
    Sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate skin damage, toxic contaminants
    Triclosan and triclocarban thyroid and environmental concerns
    Triethanolamine (TEA) allergies, toxic contaminants

PRODUCTS TO AVOID
    Anti-aging creams with lactic, glycolic, AHA, and BHA acids
    Hair dyes with ammonia, peroxide, p-phe- nylenediamine, diaminobenzene; all dark permanent hair dyes
    Liquid hand soaps with triclosan
    Nail polish and removers with formaldehyde
    Skin lighteners with hydroquinone

• susand
    susand Member Posts: 65
    edited July 2010

Julia257: I was taking iron because I was anemic. Then I went to a breast cancer seminar and was told that cancer patients should not take iron supplements.  I asked my onc and she agrees that I should not be taking them.   My onc told me to take Folate and B12 (sublingual).  You may want to research it because I cant remember the reasons but I would think twice before starting iron.

• don23
    don23 Member Posts: 213
    edited July 2010

Okay ladies I need to rant! I had a hyster/ooph in May and started Arimidex on July 1st. Since that time I have gained four pounds and really starting to feel like a jelly roll. I have been working out five times a week and eating right. I can't seem to lose even an ounce. I am getting so frustrated!!!!! I have worked so hard over the years to keep my weight in check and now nothing seems to be working. Can I expect to gain more weight over time??? Does anyone have any suggestions?

• ruthbru
    edited July 2010

Julia, if they've been working for you,  I really do think you can eat 9 raisins without worrying at all.

Brenda, I will rant with you..... your oncologist is a JERK AND not doing his job either!!! I hope you bring him all your results and give him hell when you see him (possibly before switching oncologists?!). My bones have been fine, but my oncologist ordered a baseline DEXA at the beginning of treatment and he orders a yearly DEXA just to make sure that we stay on top of things, so if they'd start to slip, we would know right away. I have a friend who went into BC with severe Osteoporosis (genetic), and her oncologist sent her right to an endocrinologist before deciding on hormonals, on his suggestion and in consultation with her onc, she is doing Tamoxifin instead of Arimidex (as Tam actually increases bone density). You are definitely smart to wait to see what the endo has to say, as I sure wouldn't trust your onc with your bone health anyway!!!! ARGH!!!!!

• BrendaAreYouA4
    edited July 2010

Sunflower - I have been diligent about VitD and Calcium.  My 101 y.o grandma has terrible osteoporosis but then who wouldn't at 101!   I think genetics is important and I must have hit the genetic 'booby' prize (forgive the pun)!

Ruth - thanks for your encouragement and sharing in the rant.  It feels good doesn't it! 

• BrendaAreYouA4
    edited July 2010

Ruth - Thanks for the Tamoxifen info.  I did ask onc about it but he wanted to defer to bone doc because of the 1.7% absolute benefit of A over Tamoxifen.  The 1.7% advantage is great but if it stops my bones from crumbling I'll switch!  

Plus I heard that because Tamoxifen block estrogen receptors the body responds by thinking it has estrogen and then all the yucky side effects like -- Joint pain, bone pain, neuropathy, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, vaginal thinning (or atrophy (you've gotta be kidding -- hasn't cancer taken enough already?)!), wrinkly skin, weight gain, carpal tunnel, etc. etc. -- will all go away!   Sign me up now!  

I had my ovaries removed because I was pre-menopausal -- could I still take Tamoxifen?  The onc didn't say no.  Can women who are now postmenopausal and on A switch to Tamoxifen? 

• ruthbru
    edited July 2010
    Yes, you can. (I don't know about the rest of the SE, but another friend who started with Tamoxifin & switched over to Arimidex said her hot flashes were worse on Tamox & she had the same amount of trouble with her weight, so don't bet on those SE going away Frown)
  • BrendaAreYouA4
    edited July 2010

Sunflowers - I just had Vit D done - it was 51,000.  I take about 3000 mg a day of VitD and try to get outside each day too.  I live in New England so when I have to start covering 60% of my skin I may have to up that amount.  I take 2000 mg of Calcium a day (since chemo I am a ovo-lacto vegetarian so I take a little extra calcium but my most recent blood levels were normal for calcium and protein.  I don't know about the Magnesium.  I'll have to check how much I am taking and what my levels were.  I also have to get my previous labs.  I think the onc said my D levels had been low but I am not sure.  The onc said my level of 51 was on the high end of being clinically safe but I have heard levels up to 70 were OK,

edited to fix Vit D levels from 5100 to 51.  Opps! 

Ruth - Thanks for the Tamoxifen info.  To bad it has SE too. 

• Kathy044
    Kathy044 Member Posts: 94
    edited July 2010

Brenda, I'm another that came up showing osteoporosis (in the spine) on a bone density test after chemo when considering hormone therapy. That was my first test so I don't have a comparison,  and I was probably osteopenic beforehand as I'm 66 years old and over ten years post menopause but the chemo wiped a lot out of me and I lost over 15 lbs, (probably some of it from bone). Anyway from my reading (or maybe wishful thinking) I consider this bone loss to be a secondary rather than a primary cause of the osteoporosis, and so at least partially reversable once the cause is removed. : )

Here's is one of the webpages I used as a source of information, Dr Susan Ott is with the University of Washington.

http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/ophome.html

Susand re: iron supplements during chemo treatment. I was told by my onc not to take iron supplements nor even to try and increase the iron in my diet when I was laid low during chemo. As I understand it you need red blood cells to increase hemoglobin with iron, so if you don't have many red blood cells because chemo has destroyed them taking iron won't help any, and in fact if stored, in your body, can be harmful to your heart.

• thegoodfight
    thegoodfight Member Posts: 124
    edited July 2010

You know I am starting to feel ignorance is truly bliss.   Everyday I read something else on these boards that gets my mind going.  Don't misunderstand, I love it here, I just constantly find myself wondering about so many new things.   I am confused about the Vit D results.  I  had the test awhile ago and the result was 55 and I was told that was in the normal range, yet brendaskids you are reporting 51,000.  Are we talking about different tests?   I am so confused.