Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mucinous Carcinoma of the breast

Comments

• fontanalucy
    fontanalucy Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2020

Hello all,

I was just diagnosed with low grade IDC mucinous type BC. ER + PR + HER2 -

My question to you all is, did you have sentinel node biopsied and what was the result?

According to what I have been reading, positive node biopsies are not common and I would love to know your experience.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited January 2020

great question...while uncommon....and there has been discussion about not having it, most doctors do recommend it. I had it. Ten years out, my only precaution is having my blood pressure and injections done on my opposite arm. Recently, I had to have surgery on my opposite hand, so my IV was done in my foot. Ouch.

good luck

• FeelingtheMagic
    FeelingtheMagic Member Posts: 103
    edited January 2020

Fontana Lucy, I had the sentinel node biopsy done 8 years ago and it was a standard practise. My surgeon has been on a mission in Canada, even back then, to educate health providers that taking blood pressure or blood on the affected side does not affect if a person gets lymphoma or worsen it. This is based on research, according to her, but little has changed in practises. I had faith in her and have never had an issue. So, that's just a thought for you. Also, if they hadn't done the node biopsy they would have probably had to go back again when it was discovered my mucinous cancer was HER2+.

Voracious, thanks for comforting words re explant. After everything, I just seem to have a 'whatever' attitude. Mostly cranky cuz I will have to figure out a bra to wear more often - because currently I rarely wear one because they make me crazy!

Tricianne, hoping for more rains - just the right amount, to settle Australia's crisis. Hugs.

• fontanalucy
    edited January 2020

Thank you for your replies ladies Headphones

Do surgeons usually ask patient if they want the sentinel node biopsy done or they just go ahead and do it because its part of the guidelines?

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited January 2020

feeling...really? I am going to have to do research on that! I had no idea...never even bothered to questioning that topic. Certainly could have done without being jabbed in my foot! If practitioners aren't aware...then what can one do on the spot? Hmmmmm....

lucy...you will be asked to sign off on EVERYTHING. That said, if you do not want it, I strongly recommend that you discuss it way ahead of time

• rain88
    rain88 Member Posts: 161
    edited January 2020

Fontanalucy, I had lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy in Oct., last year. While the biopsy I had indicated IDC with mucinous features, they needed to excise the tumour to actually confirm the type of carcinoma and, of course, the grade. My BS -an extraordinary woman - explained to me that they didn't want to take any chances and would do a SNB, even though to her it looked like there was no node involvement. I didn't question her on that. To me it was more important to go ahead and have a confirmation that, indeed, the cancer didn't spread. So, back to your question, I wonder if I could've refused to have the SN removed had I wanted to. Would you rather not do it?

• fontanalucy
    edited January 2020

I'm reading scientific articles that indicate that lymphovascular invasion is more of a predictor of metastasis and it has a relationship with positive sentinel node biopsy.

In a retrospective study of 256 patients by Elezoglu, increase in SLN metastasis was detected to be associated with the vascular invasion of the primary tumor, the presence of lymphatic invasion, increased primary tumor diameter, and advanced age . In a study by Ozmen et al., a tumor size larger than 2 cm (comparison of the T1 and T3 tumors) and the LVI presence were associated with SLN positivity .

It won't let me post the link to full articles

Lymphovascular invasion is a crucial step in the complex process of tumour metastasis and an important criterion for further therapy. The presence of carcinoma cells in either lymphatic vessels (lymphatic invasion), blood vessels (vascular invasion) or both (lymphovascular invasion) is a significant prognostic factor in invasive breast cancer, with respect to local and distance recurrenceand poorer survival. At the St. Gallen meeting in 2005, lymphovascular invasion was recognised as a prognostic factor for node-negative patients.[ Node-negative patients with lymphovascular invasion had higher breast cancer mortality rate (53%) compared with patients with no lymphovascular invasion (29%). Lymphovascular invasion is also associated with other strongest prognostic factors including tumour size, grade and loco- regional lymph node involvement.

My core needle aspiration pathology report states "Vascular lymphatic space invasion: Not identified"

My axillary lymph nodes are not inflammed. My mammogram and ultrasound found no suspicious indicators of lymph node involvement either.

I checked all mucinous IDC sister's signatures on this thread and most did not have positive nodes.

All of this information makes me wonder if the sentinel node biopsy is actually absolutely necessary.

I really don't want to risk having long term serious side effects from this procedure. I supposed when the tumor is out, they will do another biopsy and at that point I can review this further and decide if I want a sentinel node biopsy at a later time?

• monmadrid
    monmadrid Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2020

Two years ago I had a mastectomy and SNB. There was not lymphovascular invassion, nor inflammation os anything suspicious in my nodes images, but they told me that the biopsy would be important to confirm wether or not the cancer had spread and decide about my adjuvant theraphy. Not doing the biopsy wasn't given as an option.

It turned out that my sentinel node where actually three axillary nodes (pointed by the radioactive injection I received the day before surgery) so the three were removed and biopsied. They came out clean. I haven't had any consequences from this removal, further than a certain soreness in my armpit. I don't let practicioners to do any blood or pressure test on my arm and I had slight precautions for a few months after surgery in that arm (not carriyng weights, some light exercises, some lymphatic drainage...) but now I use it normally.

If I had to take that decission today, I would have the biopsy done again, since a clean result gives you huge peace when, over time, the fear of metastasis come to your mind.

About the question of having the biopsy done at a later time, you have to think that It would require another anesthesia and another procedure and probably another scar, but if you are having a mastectomy or a lumpectomy not far from the node, they can remove it from the inside and save you a scar in your armpit.

Sorry for my expressions if they are weird or hard, english is not my first language.

I wish you good luck

• fontanalucy
    edited January 2020

Monmadrid thank you so much for your input! Spanish is my primary language, I suppose it's yours too.

• Pink4meAgain
    Pink4meAgain Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2020

Well, I'm here at this site again. It's been several years - 2004 was the last time. I was 33 at my first diagnosis - IDC Adeno Carcinoma Triple Neg. Had Single Mastectomy with Chemo and Radiation. Went into remission in 2004 after all treatments. Up until 2 weeks ago I was doing great. During a yearly appt with the Oncologist she discovered a lump. Sent me for mammogram. When I saw the Radiologist after the ultrasound I just knew something was there. The familiar look from the medical community that I haven't seen in awhile was back. She assured me that I've gotten through it before that I will be fine again with all the updates in treatment. She was great and at that time brought a sense of grounding for me as I was in shock. Last week I had a breast biopsy which came back with Mucinous Carcinoma. Crap...news I didn't want to hear. A new primary area. Some good new yesterday though...I had a biopsy of my lymph node and they are clear. The pathologist and my oncologist NP said that this is an Invasive Ductal Carcinoma but it tends to be less aggressive and easily treatable. Much different than my cancer I had before. With the news of a new Primary cancer. I guess I'm no longer a survivor? I think to myself I will always be a survivor, I fought hard the first time around. However, I've entered the battle again. I'm awaiting my receptors, nervous about the next steps of treatment, trying not to compare my last treatments to what I will be up against this time around, back at the waiting game and overall thank yet again for this site.

• rain88
    edited February 2020

Pink4meAgain, I am really sorry you have to go through this again. On the positive, mucinous carcinoma is usually of a lower grade and has a much lower risk of recurrence then other types of tumors. You probably know that already, as this site alone provides a wealth of information (Thank you all for posting!) Hang in there, you are a true survivor!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,462
    edited February 2020

Pink4meAgain, rain88 said it perfectly. You are a survivor Medicating. We're really sorry you have to be here again, but we're here for you!

• fontanalucy
    edited February 2020

Hi Pink4meagain,

I'm sorry you are back but the news are not so bad. Mucinous type tumors are not aggressive at all. I had mine for over 6 years before diagnosis. I will be having surgery in the next couple of weeks. You will be just fine.

• Pink4meAgain
    edited February 2020

Thank you for the support again and the messages. I went to the surgeon appt this morning. Looking like I might be able to get a lumpectomy. It all depends on my breast MRI later this week. Wishing for this to be the case but I know I can handle if that changes since I've already had one mastectomy. We shall see....

• tricianneAust
    tricianneAust Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2020

Hi Pink4meagain, prayers that its just a lumpectomy, all went so well for me if I had to have one again it was very doable. I wouldn't hesitate. Nearly 10 years now for me. Blessings!

• fontanalucy
    edited February 2020

Hi Tricianneaugust,

Were you very deficient in vit D? I just found out Im pretty deficient at the same time as I learned I have IDC mucinous type.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited February 2020

fontanalucy---And you are yet another person with low Vit D diagnosed with BC! My BS swears that if he went back and looked at his 50-something years of records that at least 3/4 of the people diagnosed would be Vit D deficient! He says he has strongly believed for decades that we ALL need to up our D. He asked me if I thought I could be low when we first met at my diagnosis and I said there was no way because I work with horses and am outside all day. Well, color me surprised! I came in at a 26! And he wasn't happy till I reached the 70s! He says it's because we are so careful about sunscreen. So now I take 5000IU daily and last week my latest labs showed me at 84 which my doctors are delighted about. And so far...no more cancer...knock wood!

• monmadrid
    monmadrid Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2020

My levels were low too. I think there are no longer doubts about relationship between low vit D an cancer! I am insisting to my female relatives to check their levels and take supplements if necessary.

• fontanalucy
    edited February 2020

My levels are pretty low too, 15

• fontanalucy
    edited February 2020

for some the sun won't be enough because there are problems with vitamin D sinthesis and receptors and in those cases only the hormone form calcitriol will help

• wobbly
    wobbly Member Posts: 25
    edited February 2020

Had a ct scan with contrast for abdominal pain and was told i have a simple cyst on my liver and follow up is not required........

......... voice in head says....maybe mets......

• rain88
    edited February 2020

Wobbly, I hear you. But from my experience, they wouldn't have said something was benign unless they were sure of it. For peace of mind, I would ask them to explain the results and how they ruled out something malignant. Did they say that your liver was fine apart from the cyst? I am wondering: if it was bad enough that you had abdominal pain, they would not consider removing the cyst? Wishing you a quiet voice in head :) Lots of hugs!

• fontanalucy
    edited February 2020

Ladies that went with lumpectomy, how big was your tumor? Was it close to skin? Mine seems partially fixed to skin so surgeon will need to cut the skin involved. I'm a little scared about that 😨

• Pink4meAgain
    edited February 2020

Hello! I'm scheduled for a Lumpectomy on March 26th. Little bit of a wait due to a previously scheduled cruise. I'm so thankful we can still go and this girl really needs that time before all the rest of the fun begins (not). Waiting on genetics screenings to come back too. Oncologist is still thinking it will only be the Lumpectomy and radiation however, she wants to run oncotype on the tumor to confirm. Also will likely be going on hormone therapy for the next 5 years. Little worried about how that will affect my system long term though not to mention the radiation too. Had radiation already on my left side when I was 33. So with that just little worried about the long term effects. I know it's needed but they never really go into the details on how/what it does to you. oh well, still up beat and ready for the cruise and surgery to follow. Hope you all are doing well.

• rain88
    edited February 2020

Hi Pink,

I am so sorry you have to go through all of it again. I will be thinking of you. Lots of hugs and love.

• ijl
    ijl Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2020

hi rain. Can I ask you why you chose whole breast vs partial breast radiation

• rain88
    edited March 2020

Hi ijl,

My MO recommended whole breast. My margins were clear, but the closest was 0.5 mm.

• Pink4meAgain
    edited March 2020

Well I go in for my lumpectomy this coming Thursday morning. Given all that is going on it’s scary. This surgery I will not have my husband by my side for pre-op or recovery. He will only be able to drop me off and then pick me up. Ugh! I got this though. Want to get in, have a successful surgery, no surprises and then back home. Don’t want to be out of the house more than needed. A little worried that I’ll cross paths with someone at the hospital with the virus. But trying to remain positive as that is what got me through this all last time.

Hope everyone is well and stays safe.

• rain88
    edited March 2020

Pink, I hope you had a good time on the cruise. On your previous post you mentioned genetic testing and Oncotype. I hope you got favorable results. I will be thinking of you on Thursday. Love and lots of hugs!

• Pink4meAgain
    edited March 2020

thanks Rain. I never did get to go on the cruis unfortunately thanks to the virus. However I did have a good surgery yesterday. Just sore now. I have to wait on the results and Oncotype. Won’t know that for a few weeks. The genetics all came back as negative.