Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mucinous Carcinoma of the breast

Options

Comments

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited December 2021
    Options

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32947149/

Adjuvant chemotherapy could benefit early-stage ER/PR positive mucinous breast cancer: A SEER-based analysis

• FeelingtheMagic
    FeelingtheMagic Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hello lovely women. It's been awhile since I've checked in. Congrats to those celebrating anniversaries. I'm coming up 10 years in January. ( I thought it was 10 last year.. but I was wrong. ha ha)
    Sarah on Vancouver Island. Just saw you had your pathology reports come back differently and treatment plan upgraded. I do hope you are doing well. Not an easy journey, I know.
    And to all, wishing you a nice dose of magic this Christmas and this coming year. We all need a little more magic to help us through these crazy times.
    Best wishes,

Janet

• obsolete
    obsolete Member Posts: 333
    edited December 2021
    Options

Christmas blessings to all of you 🎄🎀

FeelingTheMagic, congrats on the big 10 (almost 8 yrs here). Your post radiated light & divine consciousness. Peace & Happy New Year for health, happiness & well being. Blessings...

• rain88
    rain88 Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2021
    Options

Voracious, thank you for the articles.

Feelingthemagic, congratulations on your milestone!

Obsolete, thank you for your kind Christmas wishes.

May we all have a wonderful 2022! What I wish for the most is good health and an end to all the aberrations created by the COVID-19.

• BoobBoo
    BoobBoo Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hello Ladies (and any others on this forum topic):

I had a core biopsy in mid December 2021 and received pathology diagnosis of invasive ductal carcinoma with mucinous features (via an app on my phone -- I felt like Carrie Bradshaw on Sex and the City when Berger broke up with her via a Post-It note...).

So I have a small tumor with cancer cells floating in snot! I guess we are special with this type of cancer and after reading entries on this forum and MANY online articles I feel more educated going into treatment. I live in Alaska and have decided to have treatment and surgery through the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. They have already put together a team of social worker, genetic counselor, surgeon, and two oncologists. I fly down for appointments next week and hope Omicron and travel delays don't cause problems.

While I assume I will have a lumpectomy, radiation and aromatase inhibitor therapy, I will post my progress and am grateful for feedback of others who have gone through this. I turn 67 this month and aside from extra weight and Sjogrens syndrome I'm pretty healthy. I have a couple of months to get my body and head in shape. A major decision will be whether to have radiation therapy in Seattle or up here in Alaska. Any thoughts on that? There are some good radiation oncologists here including one who had practiced at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance.

Happy 2022 and stay healthy all,

BoobBoo

• rain88
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi BoobBoo, I hope your lumpectomy will go well. In mine case (1.2 cm mucinous tumor, clear margins, no lymph node involvement) after lumpectomy I had 19 sessions of radiotherapy (15+4 booster) followed by Tamoxifen (I was 48 at the time). The radiotheraphy was easy to do, no major side effects, mostly local discomfort. All the best and keep us posted.

• BoobBoo
    edited January 2022
    Options

Thank you Rain88. Are you in Seattle too??? We have no rain here in Anchorage only sub-zero weather for the next 5 days.

Glad to hear the radiation effects were tolerable to you. My right breast is affected so I gather that is better so that the heart is not exposed.

Regards, BoobBoo

• rain88
    edited January 2022
    Options

I'm actually in Canada, Ontario, so the medical system is quite different from what I understand. My tumor was in the right breast as well and I didn't have to worry about taking precautions to protect my heart . The first time I went in was for mapping, for about 30 min. If they use the same method over there, you will end up with a few permanent tiny dots from how they're doing the measurements to place the machine accurately during each session. Each session was about 10 min. over the course of consecutive 19 days, skipping the weekends. I understand that there are also other options for radiotherapy treatment. It is something you will most likely discuss with your radiologist, depending on what equipment the center has. I saw my OR two months after I had the lumpectomy.

• BoobBoo
    edited January 2022
    Options

Thanks Rain! Yes health care certainly differs in US and Canada. I am old enough for Medicare here and have co-insurance from my previous employer which is great. Also drug coverage. I feel blessed as so many in the US do not have adequate health care or coverage.

The timing of my radiation after surgery is important for me. If I go to Seattle it will mean a month away from Alaska and I have an elderly dog to take care of! I have a temporary roommate (a friend whose rental house was sold this fall!) and she will be a real help when I go down for initial tests and surgery which is likely in late Feb or early March. The Omicron variant is causing disruption of hospitals in the US so I hope this wave of infections is over by the time my surgery happens.

Thanks for your support!

BoobBoo

• voraciousreader
    edited January 2022
    Options

boob…back in the day, more than a decade ago, I was given the option where to do my radiation. Fortuitously I was able to get my radiation therapy, 1.6 miles and seven traffic lights from my home, i would think, but I am not certain, that you can arrange to be treated as close to your home as possible. My radiologist put together the plan and the technicians followed the instructions. Furthermore, each day, the devices were calibrated and the radiologist checked EVERYTHING beforehand. I recall one day, there was a “discrepancy,” and the technician waited before given the “okay.” I would think that, nowadays, it would be even easier, provided there was a facility close to home, to get the treatment you need without the inconvenience of being very, very far from home.

keep us posted.

you found a great place for support!

• BoobBoo
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi Voracious Reader! What are you reading these days? Aside from articles about cancer, I'm reading The Cold Millions by Jess Walker. He is a fabulous writer from Spokane whose novel "Beautiful Ruins" was also one of my favorites.

I'm glad to hear that your local radiation treatments were a success! I will have to discuss all this while I'd down in Seattle. One of the reasons I'd prefer to do it there rather than Alaska is that it will still be winter here and I want a warmer place to walk. One of my stress releases is walking and we've had super cold weather, snow and ice here for months. I have my appointments Jan 13-14 and will learn more.

One question: did you or any other members feel fatigued after radiation treatment? I read some folks feel tired especially at the end of the course of radiation treatment.

I'll drop a line after I get back to Alaska for any feedback and recommendations. This forum has really helped me understand what this type of cancer is and how it is treated.

Thanks, BoobBoo

• voraciousreader
    edited January 2022
    Options

boob….come join us on the Book Lovers Club thread. I just posted there about an hour or two ago. It is a thread dedicated to….reading! Only caveat….can’t be medical books…. Please feel free to post…often!

regarding fatigue and radiation….I am also a walker and the best advice that I got was to keep walking. That said, i did have to cut back a little bit on the distance and amount of time I would spend walking. However, I think, going into my journey, having always maintained the discipline of walking, I found it easy to continue doing and was able to recover my stamina quickly once my treatment ended.

Everyone is different. So treat yourself gently and carp diem

• tricianneAust
    tricianneAust Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2022
    Options

To all my dear MC sisters and fellow blogger, so sorry not to have been posting on here. If its any consolation, I am alive & well, but my computer has been sick & failing. Then it won't synchronise (fancy word from my computer guy to means its all get tangled up in itself.) Too many updates for my aging brain to keep up with. Then computer password isn't working, have to find another password to access the change in passwords system, I am chasing my tail. Ugghh! Found my tail, changed password at last now can reply. Oh dear computer etc are getting to clever for me plus I can't sit at my big system for long because my replaced hip has been wonderful but it gives me agony sitting at said computer as other arthritis, enthesitis & bursitis have now taken over. Oh. Then got a bush fire watch & act alert for friends living nearby 18km away. 30 fire engines & 1 water bomber & 2 hours later it is contained. Quick work, there was a massive life altering bush fire there only 3 years ago. Now its safer friends have returned home but still watchful. All nothing, (well now bush fire under control, and we have had an easier, cooler summer,) compared to Breast Cancer,

So in reply to radiation exhaustion, my oncologist insisted on me treating it like a "small atomic attack" or something like that, & suggested I drink heaps of water and when leaving the hospital to walk around local area 30 mins or so before leaving in my car, then to walk as much as possible each day. In all it was a breeze & only 15mins distance from my home, I got the earliest appt each day and got on with a fully energetic life. Tamoxifen had its problems but all in all if my recent mammogram indicated I needed to do it again I certainly could. Now entering my 12th year of MC freedom. Yeah!!

• orawan
    orawan Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hello all

Anyone with mucinous stage 4 ? want to hear some experience

Thank you already

Orawan

• obsolete
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hello Orawan from beautiful Thailand, sending best wishes & a little advice your way. There are some Stage IV Mucinous ladies who post on BCO, but generally not on this Mucinous specific thread. Mainly Stage IV & specific topic threads, but we can point you in the right direction.

The following has Mucinous Stage IV presence, although it's not a complete list.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/163/topic...

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/...

If you haven't already obtained genetic testing or serum liquid biopsy (Foundation One, for example), you might search topics on mutations & pathways. Also please ask your Pathologist or medical team to verify your tumor's molecular phenotype (Luminal A or B) and validate Mucinous cells vs. conventional IDC cells, if you had Mixed Mucinous vs Pure Mucinous. Hugs & best wishes to you.

• tricianneAust
    edited January 2022
    Options

Orawan from Thailand Hi I am Tricianne from Down Under in Australia. I am just Stage 1 so my main help will be covering you with prayers. Blessings.

Hi My MC Sisters, rejoicing computer is working. The instructions for updating my signature isn't working, any ideas welcome

• tricianneAust
    edited January 2022
    Options

yea computer cooperative tonight. Signature changed.

• voraciousreader
    edited January 2022
    Options

orawan….how are you? And how is your mom doing

• orawan
    edited January 2022
    Options

obsolete Thank for your help and I have communicated with carpe_diem for a few time before lose contact.

@tricianneAust Thanks for your support.

@ voraciousreader my mom still doing ok as she had been in treatment for 5 years with lung mets . currently xeloda but will switching soon.

As I understood mucinous cancer is unlikely to spread , but when it does seem like difficult to treat. feel so disappoint

• sarahvancouverisland
    sarahvancouverisland Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi Orawan,

So sorry to hear of your mets. When did your cancer progress? I'm not stage 4 so I know it's not the same situation but my mucinous cancer did spread. I am stage 3. My cancer spread to a second tumour within the same breast, and 1 positive lymph node. 100% mucinous. It spread in the time between my initial biopsy and my first surgery (lumpectomy - about 2 months later). I had a mastectomy, and the pathology was reviewed, and upstaged to stage 3. I've just finished chemo. Not sure if this helps. What treatment are you being offered?

Sarah

• voraciousreader
    edited January 2022
    Options

sara…hope you are doing well… orawan’s mom has mucinous breast cancer…..

orawan…your mom seems to have responded to five years of treatment. That is such a blessing. I know you may not feel that way, but it seems that your mom has been responding to treatment. Besides Carpe Diem and your mom, I don’t recall any other Stage IV mucinous sisters. That said, perhaps you might want to join a breast cancer survivors group for loved ones. I am also glad to see you here trying to reach out. We are here for you and your mom as well.

I usually don’t get too personal, but I will say that my father died at a very young age. At every wonderful life event, he was terribly, achingly missed. It has been more than 40 years since he abruptly died and not a day goes by that I don’t think of him. Each day, I comb my hair with his metal comb. Mom passed a few years ago. My siblings and I were so blessed to have her in our lives for so long.

Orawan, you seem to be a lovely woman and I am sure a very beloved, dearest daughter. I have a daughter and sons and grandchildren too. I think about one day passing and hope my children will not remember me in sorrow. I hope I will not be a burden in life to any of them, nor in passing. I am sure your mom probably feels like I do. I hope my children and you do not weep for us too long when this life of ours ends. Celebrate living now and later and always. Disappointments creep into living life. But we have all been blessed with resiliency. Treat yourself gently and let life unfold around you. You may surprise yourself and your mom with what follows….

• orawan
    edited January 2022
    Options

@ voraciousreader thanks for your encouragement and support. It means a lot to me.

@sara my mom has progressing since 5 years ago , will write it down here if you are interest.

• voraciousreader
    edited January 2022
    Options

orawanHeart

• pt1234
    pt1234 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2022
    Options

hi

Was your cancer was not invasive ductal carcinoma ? What Medicines have you taken

• tricianneAust
    edited January 2022
    Options

Not sure pt1234 who your ? is directed too? Many of our diagnosis & treatment are in our Signature' Blessings Tricianne

• obsolete
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hello PT, very few of us had Mixed Mucinous (MC mixed with IDC). Had no chemo & no radiation with BMX. Best wishes.

"MC is a distinct histological subtype compared with IDC in terms of clinicopathological characteristics and genomic features. Further investigation needs to be conducted to explore the formation of this specific histological subtype."

"Clinicopathological characteristics and genomic features of MC is not fully understood."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32781417/

"Therefore, MC patients were less likely to experience radiation, chemotherapy and mastectomy. Most of our results were consistent with those of previous studies [12,20,21,25,26]."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC74196...

• BoobBoo
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hello to all! Update on my treatment. I went to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance and met with my whole team - surgeon, oncologist, radiation oncologist and nurse navigator. A blood sample was taken for genetic testing, and I had another MRI that detected a second mass. I had to return for an MRI guided core biopsy a few days ago and turns out it is a benign mass. I am scheduled for a lumpectomy on Feb 24. At this point I assume the tumor is 'mixed" not pure but will know more after procedure. I also got the genetics back and I don't have a single cancer marker. The good news is Anchorage has a radiation oncologist who trained at SCCA so I will not have to come back to Seattle for that. All in all I feel like I am in very good hands and can't say enough about the care I am receiving at SCCA. It is affiliated with UW Medicine hospital (where I will have surgery) and the Fred Hutchison cancer research institute. Thanks for all the good info and good wishes that are posted on this forum. I'll check in after surgery when I know more!!.

Onward!!

• tricianneAust
    edited January 2022
    Options

Booboo, great progress Indeed, full steam ahead!! You have done a heap of researching so your mind is better equipped , your varied team members seem cluey, competent, capable and current plus being co-operative with you. You have convenient resources with great backup of worldwide renown. With some daily prayer to back you up, the MC sisters & any brothers knowledgeable comments plus my small but well meant contribution you are well charged up ready to get on top of this. Blessings Tricia

• rain88
    edited January 2022
    Options

Great news, Boobboo, about your second lump being benign and no sign of cancer markers!!! I am really happy for you! It's also great you can do the radiotherapy close to home. We'll be thinking of you on Feb. 24; positive vibes and lots of hugs!

• Krystin
    Krystin Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hi everyone!

I was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 DCIS, cribiform type, with mucinous features. ER+/PR+/HER-, Grade 2, OncotypeDx score 7.

I had a BRCA2 VUS and clusters of breast cancer & cancers on both sides of my family. My grandmother died at 39 from breast cancer following radical mastectomy. No other deaths in the family - all survivors

I’m 43 … I went for a bilateral nipple sparing mastectomy. I’m currently in the first stage of reconstruction. 5 lymph nodes were examined, all were negative. Clean margins on the surgery. I’ve been told I don’t require chemo or radiation, but my oncologist continues to press for hormone therapy. I don’t really see the point given zero history of uterine cancer in my family and a likelihood of metastasis and recurrence so low that I don’t require chemo or radiation. It doesn’t seem worth the side effects

Is there anyone out there who has a similar profile?