Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIM

Options

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2009
    Options

My Osteopath has me on 450 of DIM per day. I also have I3C but she said I can stop that once this bottle finishes. My "good estrogen" was really high in the Metamatrix 2:16 test (the range was 2-10 and I was an 11!) so I know something is working!!! 

I cannot believe your doggies are named Luna and Spring, Maddy!  :)

• deni63
    deni63 Member Posts: 372
    edited October 2009
    Options

HI Spring,

My gyno did an Estrogen Metabolism assessment on me and the range on my report is 112-656. My 2 hydroxy was 584, which is high in the range. But my 16 alpha was 857 (range from 213-680). My doc said that since the ratio of the two falls within the normal range, everything is fine. I suppose the different labs do different testing. Mine was from Genova Diagnostics.

Yes, that is really funny that the dogs are named Luna and Spring!

• seaotter
    seaotter Member Posts: 642
    edited October 2009
    Options

You girls sure seem to know your tests!!! I am having my hormone levels check next week. What else should I ask her to check. She is a pa. She is very into biodenticals but not into what to check for us bc girls. I think she would do what I ask her so your input would be great!!!!! Thanks.

Patty

• deni63
    deni63 Member Posts: 372
    edited October 2009
    Options

I actually don't know a lot about hormones at all. I was reading the results of my test and discussed it with my doc - but I have a looonnng way to go. I think our newly-nipped Fairy would be a good one to ask about this!

• MaddyMason
    MaddyMason Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2009
    Options
    deni63 wrote:

Hi Maddy!

I do IV C infusions. I am doing 80 grams once per week at this point. How long have you been doing them? I do them in Suffern, NY, which is about an hour away from you. Is there a place up by you in Kingston that you go to?

Oh my! Deni! I have been getting my drips at Schachter's for about 18 months now (with some breaks) and we don't know each other? How is that possible? We have never been there on the same day? At the moment I go on Thursdays, and will be there tomorrow at 11:30; how about you?

Hugggs! Maddy

• fairy49
    fairy49 Member Posts: 536
    edited October 2009
    Options

I will post the tests needed tomorrow once my head clears a bit!!  It will be my pleasure, sweet dreams!

L

ox

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2009
    Options

On the Metamatrix test, there are different "number" ranges for Pre and post menopausal. (I am now Post, thanks to friggin chemo!). Also, as Fairy and I found out, it is different if you do a blood, vs. urine test too. I think the important thing is the ratio. Metamartix wants you to be above 2.0. I was 1.9 so I have some work to do...

• cleomoon
    cleomoon Member Posts: 152
    edited October 2009
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Have an appt with my Gyno tomorrow. Wish me luck in not getting the "why would u want your hormones ck'd" response, when I ask her about it.

• seaotter
    edited October 2009
    Options

Cleo - Yep, good luck with that. This will get him/her even better: Ask for your saliva to be tested!! When I asked my gyno what he thought of the biodenticals, he said they are a pain. He had no clue how to test for them. Go figure!!!

Patty

• fairy49
    edited October 2009
    Options

Below is what you have to get tested for a full hormone panel:

Progesterone

SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin)

Estrone Sulfate (E1S)

Estrone (E1)

Estradiol (E2)

Estriol (E3)

DHEA-S

Testosterone

Free Androgen Index

2-Hydroxyestrone

16-Hydroxyestrone

2:16 Hydroxyestrone Ratio

In addition:

Insulin

T3 - Total

T3 - Free

T3 - Reverse

T4 Free

TSH 3rd Generation

Vitamin D3

Vitamin B6

Vitamin B12

Cortisol

Methylmalonic Acid Serum

• cleomoon
    edited October 2009
    Options

Wow! Thanks Fairy :)

Oh it would be so hard not to peek at the nips.

• cleomoon
    edited October 2009
    Options

Anyone also have their FSH and LH ck'd?

• fairy49
    edited October 2009
    Options

It is hard trust me!!!

I had the FSH and LH but my naturopath said those levels vary a lot during the month and she didn't pay too much attention as she did to the other stuff.

L
    ox

• my560sel
    my560sel Member Posts: 399
    edited October 2009
    Options

Hi Fairy, Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I wanted. Hope you're not in any pain and the new nips are great looking - GO on, PEEK !

• fairy49
    edited October 2009
    Options

knowing my luck, if I gently lift the bandages........I will rip something off!! I just know it! I am going to have to be patient! sigh...........Yell

• my560sel
    my560sel Member Posts: 399
    edited October 2009
    Options

Better to wait then ! We don't want you having "wonky" nips !...lol

• sakura73
    sakura73 Member Posts: 76
    edited October 2009
    Options

On the I3C vs DIM point - my naturopath says she prefers people to take I3C. I take it in a supplement that also has rosemary leaf in it. I have read lots of articles saying one or the other is better. They are always biased in favour of the product the author is marketing!

• seaotter
    edited October 2009
    Options

Last year I would never have dreamed that I would be concerned for someone and their new nips!!!!!

Patty

• Chocolaterocks
    Chocolaterocks Member Posts: 94
    edited April 2011
    Options

DIM-

Are those of you who are using dim doing well? Anybody in Eastern PA , New Jersey , MD< DEL or NY area seeing an onco who recommends this?

ITs been along time- can someone update me on this versus tamo or are you doing both.

thanks again

Chocolate

• KathleenLa
    KathleenLa Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Fairy49:

How long have you been on D.I.M. and have you had good results? And your oncologist approved? Had he heard about it or did he research or read your material.

I've had a bi-lateral masectomy in March and I've had a total hysterectomy. I was just put on Arimadex and after 3 pills my stomach was upset, nauscious, and feeling ill. I found info. on D.I.M. Also, some good info. from a Dr. Michael Zeligs. His Bio-Resource product is patented and the Herbarium here in town sells that product. :) I brought my research material to my oncologist and he breezed through it. But he actually took some notes and plans to do some research on it. I am thinking that he can't actually recommend this, as a doctor. But I'm thinking he could say "he can't stop me", either. I am hoping that he will monitor me.

I think metabolizing is the answer,not lowering estrogen. I am post menopausal and have my own hot flashes. Don't need more. Also, lowering even more causes bone loss, osteoporosis, joint pains, etc. That's not good. My oncologist questions the "metabolizing" word. That maybe D.I.M. could raise estrogen, then that wouldn't be good. But I did get some more information that D.I.M. doesn't raise or lower estrogen.

My email address is: CntryDnc22@aol.com

Thanks.

Kathleen

• KathleenLa
    KathleenLa Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Fairy49:

How long have you been on D.I.M. and have you had good results? And your oncologist approved? Had he heard about it or did he research or read your material.

I've had a bi-lateral masectomy in March and I've had a total hysterectomy. I was just put on Arimadex and after 3 pills my stomach was upset, nauscious, and feeling ill. I found info. on D.I.M. Also, some good info. from a Dr. Michael Zeligs. His Bio-Resource product is patented and the Herbarium here in town sells that product. :) I brought my research material to my oncologist and he breezed through it. But he actually took some notes and plans to do some research on it. I am thinking that he can't actually recommend this, as a doctor. But I'm thinking he could say "he can't stop me", either. I am hoping that he will monitor me.

I think metabolizing is the answer,not lowering estrogen. I am post menopausal and have my own hot flashes. Don't need more. Also, lowering even more causes bone loss, osteoporosis, joint pains, etc. That's not good. My oncologist questions the "metabolizing" word. That maybe D.I.M. could raise estrogen, then that wouldn't be good. But I did get some more information that D.I.M. doesn't raise or lower estrogen.

My email address is: CntryDnc22@aol.com

Thanks.

Kathleen

• 2girls1boymama
    2girls1boymama Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Options

Sooooo confused.  Just had a hysterectomy (January 9th) due to my brca1 diagnosis.  I read about DIM and it sounded like a great option despite that my doctors say they have never heard of it.  Now I see this information on Myomin as I read these posts recommending it for post-menopausal women.  If DIM is more aggressive, and therefore usually recommended for women who are not menopausel because they have more estrogen, wouldn't this be just what a woman at high risk for breast cancer would want?  Wouldn't it be that the more estrogen gone the better?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding....  Also, why hasn't my doctor asked for a blood panel to show my estrogen levels?  I haven't had cancer but should I have had this done anyway?

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited February 2013
    Options

Ladies

If you are taking DIM pls beware if you have a goiter or any thyroid issues.  This amt of cruciferous  vegatables  are "goiterous" meaning they make goiters grow.

Pls dont take my word for it  - do you own exploring, googling and ask your endo dr. if you do see one.

Good luck to all!

• lightandwind
    lightandwind Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2013
    Options

Does anyone know about the taking DIM w/ femara? how they interact and if it's good or bad?

• lightandwind
    lightandwind Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2013
    Options

bump

• joetmn
    joetmn Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2013
    Options

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/articles/what-should-breast-cancer-survivors-eat-during-aromatase-inhibitor-treatment%3F

As mentioned for foodforbreastcancer web, I3C will reduce the effectiveness of aromatase inhibitors and shall be careful. 

I3C is a precursor DIM and I don't know if DIM will reduce the effective of AI as well?

Anyone can supplement please!

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited October 2013
    Options

just thought I would tell you of my experience. I have been taking DIM for 5 years works beautifully have had my estrogen tested before and 3 months after went from est dominate to having more of the good estrogen if that makes sense . My oncologist natropath and natural dr both think it is a fantastic product and it works well with Tamaxifern . I feel fantastic hardly any side effects even though I have now gone thru menopause . I go off tamoxifern next March as it will be 5 years and I intend to stay on DIm for the rest of my life. It is called Indoplex in aust I alternated 45mg one day and 125mg the next. Hope this helps someone

• lorreymom
    lorreymom Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2013
    Options

A recent study with DIM peaked my interest in this supplement. It demonstrated the protective effects of DIM with radiation poisoning. They were dosing mice with toxic doses of radiation. Without DIM, 100% of the mice died. With DIM, 60% of mice survived and had minimal side-effects. This study was done for research into nuclear disasters, but the authors commented that it may benefit cancer patients undergoing radiation treatments. Study was published in a medical journal Oct. 2013...so, very new!

I am pre-menopausal, so unlikely to need hormonal therapy. But I was thinking of taking DIM during my radiation treatments. Or would I just be messing with my hormonal balance?? I will definitely need to talk to my Onc about this!!

• MmeJ
    MmeJ Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi, lorreymom. Is your path report back? Will you be having chemo?

Is it possible you won't need radiation?

If you do, though, you'd want to run any supplements you're taking, or would like to, by the radiologist. In my experience, they seem to be a little less skittish about such things than the oncs are. If you need chemo, though, definitely check with your onc.

Oh - do you have a link to the study you mentioned, or the journal name?

Also, menopausal status is not related to whether one needs hormone therapy. It's one's hormonal status.

• lorreymom
    lorreymom Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thanks MmeJ! I don't have my path report back yet. Hopefully this week! I know there are unanswered questions. My BS told me to expect radiation and chemo due to the size of my tumour. He was the one who said hormonal therapy is unlikely. I have yet to be referred to an onc. Still a waiting game for me. I am just trying to arm myself wirh info. I will find that link to the article for you....