Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIM

Options

Comments

• NancyLa
    NancyLa Member Posts: 81
    edited July 2009
    Options

Thank you for your input.  I sent an email to BioResponse DIM and here is what they came back with regarding DIM:   

Thank you for your interest in BioResponse DIM, the only truly bioavailable form of DIM on the market.  BioResponse DIM is a dietary supplement and is not intended to treat or
    prevent any disease.  You should not consider BioResponse DIM an
    alternative to Tamoxifen or any other prescribed medication.
    However, on a research basis we are working with NIH and universities to
    explore its use in various conditions.  One of the most interesting is
    its use in conjunction with Tamoxifen.  Our preliminary case studies
    indicate that BioResponse DIM continues to shift the ratio of 2/16
    estrogen metabolites in women on Tamoxifen.  BioResponse DIM shifts
    estrogen metabolism towards the more beneficial 2-OH estrogen
    metabolites as opposed to the more harmful 16-OH estrogen metabolites.
    This shift in estrogen metabolism is not seen with Tamoxifen alone.
    Women take BioResponse DIM in conjunction with Tamoxifen at the standard
    dose of 300mg of BioResponse DIM per day.

So, I guess it is up to each person to do what they feel is best for them.  I wish it was easier trying to figure out what to do.....but it is not. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2009
    Options

All,

I am taking BioResponse DIM and Tamoxifen. And IC3 also. (and a slew of other things). My ONC has reviewed my supplmenets and while she didn't feel anything was "proven", she said nothing was contra-indicated or dangerous.

FYI!!!  If this helps...

Spring.

• KathyNSW
    KathyNSW Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2009
    Options

Just received my DIM by mail. 

I have trouble swallowing tablets and capsules, can you empty the contents of the

capsule into food or a drink.

Thankyou

• KathyNSW
    edited July 2009
    Options

BUMP

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited July 2009
    Options

Kathy ~  I'm not an expert on DIM, but I'm wondering if you could email the manufacturer of whichever brand you bought, and ask them if it's okay to remove from the capsule and mix with food or drink?  I would think it would be, but I'd probably ask the folks who make it, just to be sure the capsule isn't meant to dissolve somewhere other than in your stomach, or some other issue you might not think of.    Deanna 

• meadows4
    meadows4 Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2009
    Options

I get DIM through ActivaMune.com in California.

It is a green capsule and slides down very easily.

• KathyNSW
    edited July 2009
    Options

Thankyou for replying I will email the manufacturer

Take care Kathy

• cleomoon
    cleomoon Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Everyone,

I just bought my DIM a few days ago. I don't know exactly why but I am afraid to start taking it. Does it increase the good estrogen levels or just decrease the bad estrogen levels? I am afraid of increasing any of my estrogen at this point. I sure do get pissed that more research has not been done on hormones.

Has anyone had improvement with their fibrocystic breasts after being on DIM?

Thanks

• fairy49
    fairy49 Member Posts: 536
    edited August 2009
    Options

cleomoon! I have had great results with DIM, it improved my 2:16 ratio, which is important, it will not increase your estrogen it metabolizes it, and locks the estrogen receptor just like tamoxifen but without the side effects.  It has side effects, weight loss, increased energy, better sleep Laughing all good stuff!! I know its recommended for estrogen dominance, so people with fibrocystic breasts, ovarian cysts etc should take DIM.

Give it a whirl!

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Cleomoon,

My understanding is that DIM helps the body metabolize estrogen so it's not "hanging out there" attaching to cancer cells! Exercise helps us metabolize estrogen too. 

My onc knows I am taking it and said it is not "contra indicated". I take Tamoxifen as well. 

• cleomoon
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks Fairy :) Now to get on with the healthy diet.

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited August 2009
    Options

I recently switched from I3C to DIM, and I'm wondering how much I should be taking.  I'm using Nature's Way DIM Plus (Spring, I think you mentioned that one -- the enhanced absorption feature), but I'm not sure if I need 2, as the bottle suggests, or if one is enough.  I weigh 125 lbs. and my Estrogen level was already <10 while on I3C.  Do you think I need 2 of these 100 mg DIM per day?

I'm also curious if anyone is taking Grape Seed Extract.  Prior to even having my mast, I'd read about the research being done on it as a natural Aromatese Inhibitor at City of Hope, and bought a bottle of it.  I've tried it twice, and both times I've felt a bit nauseated and noticeably hot -- much like an A/I.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has looked into it's potential benefit.  Here are a few of the articles I've read about it:

http://www.cbcrp.org/RESEARCH/PageGrant.asp?grant_id=281

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/66/11/5960

http://www.cityofhope.org/about/publications/news/Pages/city-of-hope-researchers-reveal-promising-cancer-prevention-and-treatment-at-aacr-meeting.aspx

http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news-1/No-Verdict-Yet-on-Grape-Seed-Extract-vs--Breast-Cancer-43325-1/

Deanna

• my560sel
    my560sel Member Posts: 399
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Fairy - Haven't chatted in a  while. You helped me out by sending me all that info on DIM. I have 2 questions and  I was wondering if I understood correctly. Does DIM really help shrink ovarian cysts? If so, that would be great because I seem to always form cysts on my right ovary...kind of scary when you have had BC - always have to have it checked out. My second question is, should I take DIM if I am hypothyroid? I'm taking synthroid and I think it was mentioned somewhere that you should be taking an iodine supplement if you're going to take DIM. Would the synthroid be enough or would they have to up my dosage?

Terri

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited August 2009
    Options

Terri-you need to get over to the thyroid thread and start taking iodine. Go to breastcancerchoices.org for information on iodine, thyroid and bc.

• fairy49
    edited August 2009
    Options

Deanna, I take 4 x 100mgs a day of DIM (Nature's Way-Enhanced Absorbtion formula), 2 in the morning and 2 at night, I don't think it matters how low your estrogen is, the clinical trials for DIM done by Bio Response all used 300mg to 400mg. If you are post meno, you may have more success with Myomin, I think Vivre has more info on that supplement, which she says has more impact than DIM if you are post meno. I haven't tried Grape Seed Extract, I will read your links!

Hi Terri! Because DIM is an estrogen metabolizer, (estrogen dominance causes cysts etc), it can cause cysts to shrink, mine shrunk to half its size at my last ultra sound! Not sure about DIM and hypothyroid, but DIM is a natural supplement so I can't see it would be an issue? I believe there is more info on the Iodine thread.

L

ox

• my560sel
    my560sel Member Posts: 399
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks Vivre and Fairy! I'll had over to the thyroid thread and see what I come up with...decisions, decisions !!

Terri

• chelev
    chelev Member Posts: 417
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi, ladies.  Just started taking DIMension 3 from my naturapath.  It has DIM, plus curcumin and a pepper extract.  It was pretty pricey from the doctor - is the Natures Way similar?  I am taking it twice a day, per instructions - 1 caplet in a.m. and 1 in p.m.  About 1 week now - so I know it's too early to feel any great effects (not calling them side effects, because those are baaad).  About when do you start to notice a difference? 

• fairy49
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Chelev!

I do take Nature's Way DIM, I started on 100mg then upped it to 200mg and I now take 400mg, two caps in the am and two at night.  Nature's Way doesn't have the Curcumin in it, but I do take that in another cap.  I actually don't feel any different on DIM, the benefit is the estrogen metabolizing, so you may not actually feel anything, the results should show in your follow up bloodwork after a few months! :)

Lorraine ox

• chelev
    chelev Member Posts: 417
    edited August 2009
    Options

Cool - then I can save a little $$ by going with Natures Way, and adding curcimin myself.  Very good!!

• cleomoon
    edited August 2009
    Options

Has anyone's menstrual cycle changed while on DIM? My period is late this month and it works like clock work...hits every 28 days.

• NancyLa
    NancyLa Member Posts: 81
    edited August 2009
    Options

I am looking for a good brand of DIM to take.  I have read alot of you on this board take Natures Way DIM.  It has phosphatidylcholine (soy) listed as an ingredient.  I looked into BioResponse DIM  but it too has soy phosphatidyl choline listed.  I was told to stay away from soy.  Does anyone know of a brand of DIM without soy? Thank you in advance for your help.

• cleomoon
    edited August 2009
    Options

Will DIM help decrease dense breasts?

• cleomoon
    edited August 2009
    Options

Fairy would you mind sharing why you decided to increase to 400 mg of DIM?

• meadows4
    edited August 2009
    Options

Nancy, try ActivaMune.com for DIM with no soy.

• Luna5
    Luna5 Member Posts: 532
    edited August 2009
    Options

Gage,  I just looked on the Activamune.com site and the only DIM I see is one with soy----phosphatidylcholine listed.  How do I find the one you meant with no soy?

Thanks

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Cleomoon. I take 300 DIM right now, and yesterday I saw and osteopathic endocrinologist and she wants me to go to 400 (or 450 as I have 150mg capsules).

I don't know if DIM helps with Dense breasts. Iodine will help with fiber cystic breasts. I am not sure there is *anything* that helps wtih dense breast tissue, except a breast MRI to see what's actually going on in there....

Spring.

• meadows4
    edited August 2009
    Options

Luna, I am sorry...I guess the DIM I was talking about does have soy in it.

• cleomoon
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Thanks Spring Laughing
  • Luna5
    Luna5 Member Posts: 532
    edited August 2009
    Options

Gage,  Oh, sorry about that.  I really didn't mean to put a damper on your supplement.  I'm just trying desperately to find supplements without soy.  A lot of the Vitamin Shoppe vitamins say they don't have soy but I don't know what the quality of their supplements are.  I have a lot of $high end absorbable supplements on my counter that as it turns out also have soy.  I don't know whether to keep taking them til they are gone, throw them out or what!  I'm also wondering what to do about flax.  I had so many articles promoting it that I bought a grinder and seeds and added them to things for a couple of days and then found a couple of articles saying no on flax.  So, now I don't know what to do!!!!

I even read that soy lecithin is okay but soybean oil isn't.  My CoQ 10 has one kind and my Calcium and D3 has another.  I'm soooooo confused!

Luna 

• meadows4
    edited August 2009
    Options

Look at preventium.org for a possible alternative.  The research outlined on that site is compelling, I think.  The product claims to metabolize estrogen so that it wont cause cancer.