Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIM

Options
123457»

Comments

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    edited June 2016
    Options

I get mine on Amazon...

• labelle
    labelle Member Posts: 134
    edited June 2016
    Options

I order mine from Amazon too. Smoky Mountain Naturals DIM + BioPerine. I also take Natrol brand Calcium D-Glucarate to help modulate estrogen.

• sarahrae
    sarahrae Member Posts: 52
    edited July 2016
    Options

HI All~

those of you that are using DIM(and/or other natural alternatives to tam, AI, gos): are you regularly monitoring your estrogen(estradiol) levels? I would love to chart my levels while using DIM, calcium d-glucarate, as well as a large amounts of cruciferous vegetables.

what kind of testing are you doing??

thanks for all of your great info!!

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527
    edited September 2018
    Options

Sorry to be slow, turns out the University of Arizona DIM study I was in published their results about a year ago. Here you go! The abstract is below. I do not have a free link to the full article.

Bottom line (and confirmed in the letter they sent me about the results):

"Finally, the reduction in endoxifen and other metabolites of tamoxifen are concerning given the presumptive relationship between these metabolites and tamoxifen efficacy. Additional studies are needed prior to recommending DIM supplementation for breast cancer patients receiving tamoxifen."

They let me know that I was on the placebo.

Link to abstract: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10549-017-4292-7

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2017 August ; 165(1): 97–107. doi:10.1007/s10549-017-4292-7

A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of diindolylmethane for breast cancer biomarker modulation in patients taking tamoxifen

Cynthia A. Thomson1,2, H.H. Sherry Chow2, Betsy C. Wertheim2, Denise J. Roe2,3, Alison Stopeck4, Gertraud Maskarinec5, Maria Altbach6, Pavani Chalasani2, Chuan Huang7, Meghan B. Strom8, Jean-Philippe Galons2,6, and Patricia A. Thompson4,9

Abstract

Purpose—Diindolylmethane (DIM), a bioactive compound found in cruciferous vegetables, has proposed breast cancer chemoprevention activity. There is limited evidence of clinically relevant activity or long-term safety. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was conducted to determine the activity and safety of combined use of DIM (BR-DIM) with tamoxifen.

Methods—Women prescribed tamoxifen (n=130) were assigned to receive BioResponse-DIM® (BR-DIM), providing 150 mgs DIM twice daily, or placebo, for 12 months. The primary study endpoint was change in urinary 2/16 -hydroxyestrone (2/16 -OHE1) ratio. Change in 4- hydroxyestrone (4-OHE1), serum estrogens and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), breast density, and tamoxifen metabolites also were assessed.

Results—Ninety-eight women (51 placebo, 47 DIM) completed intervention; compliance with treatment was >91%. DIM increased the 2/16 -OHE1 ratio (+3.2[0.8, 8.4]) compared to placebo (−0.7 [−1.7, 0.8], p <0.001). Serum SHBG also increased with DIM as compared to placebo

(+ 25±22 and +1.1 ±19 nmol/L, respectively). No change in breast density measured by mammography or by MRI was observed. Plasma tamoxifen metabolites (endoxifen, 4-OH tamoxifen, and N-desmethyl-tamoxifen) were reduced in women receiving DIM versus placebo (P <0.001). Minimal adverse events were reported and overall did not differ by treatment arm.

Conclusion—In patients taking tamoxifen for breast cancer, daily DIM promoted favorable changes in estrogen metabolism and circulating levels of SHBG. Further research is warranted to determine whether decreases in tamoxifen metabolites, including endoxifen, with DIM would attenuate the clinical benefit of tamoxifen.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited February 2021
    Options

RE: DIM Wopuld it not have similar SEs to aromatase inhibitors ? I cant promote any more bone loss...I have osteopporososi. PMs welcomed as well . THANK YOU@!