Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIM

Options

Comments

• lorreymom
    lorreymom Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2013
    Options

i can't find the original article...but here is a good summary of the work done. Although I swear it was mice used and not rats in the study...but whatever, the results are what counts.

http://m.livescience.com/40403-broccoli-compound-protects-against-radiation.html

• lorreymom
    lorreymom Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2013
    Options

okay...found the original article. It WAS mice. LOL. I just couldn't access it from my iphone for some reason.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/10/08/1308206110.long

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited November 2013
    Options

Lorreymom, thanks for posting the article. It is very interesting to me.

Cheers.

Mandy

• MmeJ
    MmeJ Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2013
    Options

Belated thanks for the link, lorreymom (sorry, I was away from computers for several days).

While the DIM might not pan out to be helpful for targeted radiation protection for human cancer patients, it is helpful to know that there MIGHT be something merciful there for humans and other animals injured in radiation accidents.

Did you get your path report back? How are you doing?

• huladancergirl
    huladancergirl Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Options

I'm having this same experience..super late period for the first time ever..been taking DIM for 2 or 3 months..

• pipers_dream
    pipers_dream Member Posts: 187
    edited November 2013
    Options

Extreme newbie question here: I'm 54 and still quite premenopausal. Tested ER+/PR+ on a pleomorphic subtype of ILC. (not a good thing) I know that they will probably want me to get my ovaries removed and I'm fine with that as I'm finished with them anyway, but I know that they will still want me on tamoxifen and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get some DIM now and get started? Also, will I take DIM with the Tax or instead of? Will DIM cause me to need a lower dose and is it actually safer--was looking at the miles long list of side effects of tax and a bit leery but want to do the treatment right. I guess I'll be a PIA patient who will insist on doing certain things naturally as much as possible. I live in a rural area and naturopaths are few but I'll keep looking.

• Fallleaves
    Fallleaves Member Posts: 134
    edited November 2013
    Options

Here are two links to one trial testing the efficacy of taking DIM with Tamoxifen (the first one is more readable). I haven't read anywhere that DIM interferes with Tamoxifen, but doubt your MO would recommend you take it instead of Tam. I'm taking DIM (along with some other supplements). I'm a PIA patient, too! (It's our prerogative)

http://crcphp.arizona.edu/research/research-projects/evaluation-diindolylmethane-supplementation-modulate-tamoxifen-efficacy

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01391689?term=DIM+and+tamoxifen&rank=1

• pipers_dream
    edited December 2013
    Options

The update is that I talked to my MO today for the first time and asked about DIM. He said no no no.  He said that it could feed the cancer and said that if I were older and stage IV, maybe, but not for now. He seemed quite positive about the other supplements I'm taking so I don't think it's that he's against alternatives.  Has anyone heard this?  I've an appt with a naturopath on 1/6 and asked the question and a nurse is supposed to call me back and I'll share what I find out.  

Maybe it's something you don't take until after the other treatments?  LIke to keep it from coming back?  Maybe he said that.  

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited December 2013
    Options

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/diindolylmethane

https://www.breastcancertrials.org/bct_nation/browse_trials.seam?categoryString=ALTERNATIVE

http://www.naturalnews.com/025810_cancer_estrogen_cancers.html

http://www.needs.com/product/NDNL-0510-02/htc_DIM

My nutritionist recommends using DIM...... so far I can't find any references that it feeds cancer.....

edited - to say many supplements should not be taken during chemo or radiation treatment but are used afterwards.

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited December 2013
    Options

someone said here DIM has a bad effect on vitD??, iodine?? I forget exactly what.  &perahpa sit was cruciferous vegetables not DIM itself.  (for researching here purposes) 

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited December 2013
    Options

Piper, with ILC and getting your ovaries out, you should go on an AI, not tamox. AIs are more effective aginst ILC than tamox is.

• pipers_dream
    edited December 2013
    Options

Momine, for some reason neither my MO nor my surgeon advises ovary removal. Neither one said much about it but I should have pressed harder for an answer.  The BS did say the drugs after would be stronger, not lighter but that doesn't make much sense to me.  I had the MO write down my treatment plan and tamox is on the list.  I've noticed BTW that your dx reads just like mine except we're not sure yet exactly what stage I am--it looks to be III though and my surgery is in 3 wks. 

cp, I read thru your links and I've been looking at DIM with interest b/c of what I've read, so I can't imagine why the MO says it feeds the cancer--from everything I've read it will cause it to recede and help with chemo.  Hopefully the naturopath can enlighten me and I'll go with what he says about it.  It's just that I don't think the MO had a personal prejudice against supplements or he would have had a fit when he saw my list.  

• cp418
    edited December 2013
    Options

Piper - I think you will find some oncologists are for oophorectomy and some are against this procedure unless the patient has BRCA gene.  IMO it's what will give you peace of mind after you research the consequences of this additional treatment.  Likewise, some women are either pro/con to have their ovaries removed.  I agree against for stage 0 or 1 dx but not so much for those of us with positive nodes, strong ER+ with hx heavy long periods, other complex dx.  I had several disagreements with my previous Onc because I wanted better justification/better explaination for one treatment over another.  I was always doing my own research and asking lots of questions and I'm glad I did.  If you need to get other medical opinions then by all means do so!   If you feel this added procedure will benefit you  - - then it is your decision.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited April 2014
    Options

He said that it could feed the cancer....

Sounds utterly ridiculous!  Drs - gotta love em!

• pipers_dream
    edited April 2014
    Options

Update Purple, fired the MO and hired a new one who works with my holistic MD.  The long and short of it is that I am taking DIM and Ca-D-glucarate and they seem to be helping, as my periods have gotten more reasonable.  I can tell my estrogen is dropping b/c I'm getting really moody and depressed, esp when my period starts and it's awful, but good news in a way.  I've turned almost all of it over to the holistic doc for now and still have my boobs, which is exciting, lol.  This is a little nerve-racking, but nothing has grown that I can tell and I just had a thermogram today.  I'm holding off on the oophorectomy for now also.  

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited April 2014
    Options

Sounds good piper ... keep on truckin'!

• Bebe54
    Bebe54 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    Options

Very interested in DIM and any supplements. I am 53 years young!  First time poster.  I have had chemo double mast and rads.....now ARIMIDEX! I won't lie, only been on two weeks but feel like I am having a few minor side effects.  However, Constipation can be tolerated by me as Chemo caused severe Diverticulitus!  My bowel regiment was working beautifully until Arimidex have also noticed some finger pain.  thinking this has got to be in my head its too soon it's only been two weeks.  Just read Marine Clark article and she has now reversed her position on DIM and endorses it.  I need info on how much I am risking reoccurrence if I don't take Arimidex.  My onc says I don't have a choice but to take it.

HELP Please.....

DX August 2013  4 rounds chemo (not tolerated well- hospitalized each time) double mast, 18 nodes removed 2 involved, 25 rads....last scan and numbers were good!  Had complete hyster and am post menopausal.

• cp418
    edited June 2014
    Options

Bebe - you may want to look at this site regarding treatments.   http://www.adjuvantonline.com/index.jsp

Also you may want to consider trying Femara instead as sometimes a person will tolerate another AI better.  Your Onc is concerned for your recurrence risk with positive lymph nodes. 

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527
    edited July 2014
    Options

Just finished 18 months in the University of Arizona study on DIM for women taking Tamoxifen. I don't know if I got the DIM or a placebo but am guessing I might have been on the DIM. I've switched to an AI (Arimidex) and have decided to continue the DIM supplements. I ordered the same brand used in the study (Bioresponse DIM) and plan to take 300 mg a day. Any thoughts or recommendations on the brand or the dose? 

• Golden01
    edited July 2014
    Options

Bump and new question: Does any one know of any reasons not to take DIM when on an AI? 

• pipers_dream
    edited July 2014
    Options

A funny--I walked into my best friend's house the other day and she did a double take--I have dropped 3 cup sizes from my breasts.  I was a double D and now closer to a B.  It feels really funny but I like the change.  I suspect it was the DIM but it could be iodine, or it could be both.  My breasts had been steadily getting bigger over the years--I was a B in my twenties.  I have lost 30 lbs also, but I don't think that was the reason.  

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited April 2015
    Options

Golden01 - I take 300 mg of DIM Avail by Designs for Health.

• Golden01
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good to hear you are on Femara and taking DIM. I plan to take 300 mg as that was the amount used in the U of A. 

• rettemich
    rettemich Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2014
    Options

Golden, dang I signed up for that study and got bumped because they didn't get the extra funding. I was so bummed. Did you notice any difference or are you noticing any difference? Oh and thanks for posting what the strength was I was wondering about that. Think I may start it. I should check with my IO but don't have an appointment for another 6 wks or so.

• Golden01
    edited August 2014
    Options

It is hard to tell as I stopped the DIM and Tamoxifen in the same week. Since then I've started the AI and my hot flashes have pretty much  gone away. I'm worried the AI isn't doing enough. I bought the DIM but haven't started taking it. I want to do a little more research. I am eating plenty of cabbage, broccoli,  etc., but I did that while I was on the study too. You couldn't eat a lot more or a lot less of the cruciferous vegetables than usual while on the study. Are you in Tucson or Phoenix? I believe at the Phoenix site they are still enrolling until in September. I was the first one to enroll here in Phoenix. The NCI trial finder says they are still enrolling but could be out of date: http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01391689 

• rettemich
    edited August 2014
    Options

I'm in Phoenix. The day I went down to turn in my paperwork, no body was there. When I got home, the same day, I got an email from them saying they didn't get the funding and can't enroll me. 

I've been looking for a good DIM to take. So many of them have so much other "stuff" in them. I don't need or want some of that. I just want the DIM. So which one is everyone taking?

• Golden01
    edited August 2014
    Options

Sorry to hear you couldn't be in the study. The U of A study used this DIM product: http://www.amazon.com/Bioresponse-DIM-150-Vcs-Pac...

• rettemich
    edited September 2014
    Options

Anyone have any side effects with DIM? I have been getting really bloated and the only New thing has been the DIM. Oh I so hope it's not that. If so I need to figure out a way to counteract the se.

• Golden01
    edited September 2014
    Options

When I was on the University of Arizona DIM study, I had really severe hot flashes. I don't know if I was taking DIM or a placebo. I went off both the DIM and Tamoxifen about the same time and started an AI. My hot flashes are mostly gone but I don't know if was DIM or Tamoxifen. I'm still deciding on whether or not to take DIM so may give it a try and see if the hot flashes come back. 

What dose are you taking?

• RaiderGirl
    RaiderGirl Member Posts: 235
    edited September 2014
    Options

I thought all BC patients were taken off HRT immediately ?