Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2010

We stayed at the Hilton Homewood Suites, too.  Like others said, it's comfortable, big, has a nice separate room for whoever is staying with you, so you can nap while they watch t.v. in the other room if they want, and it won't disturb you, etc.  Like everybody has said, it's close to the French Quarter, but not so close it'll make you crazy.  Lots of restaurants near-by but it also has a little kitchette, if you want to eat in.  It's also one block away from a great trolley (streetcar?) line that can take you all the way out to the other end of New Orleans.  We did that one day and loved it!  I wasn't up to walking all the way to the French Market when we were there (it's about 14 blocks away) but it was a cheap cab ride.  

Like others, I slept fine on my back with lots of pillows.  I had a 6 hour flight home, and that was fine, too.

Good luck! 

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited July 2010

dejaboo- I'm looking into that. I have a call into Celeste again since I can't stay those extra days, I can't afford to change my flights and my husband cant stay those extra days! I'm willing to pay the money to have him do it out of pocket because I know that I will have to pay it out of pocket somewhere here and they won't be nearly as amazing as he is I'm sure

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited July 2010

Springtime, can you change my surgery date to August 18?  Also, I will be at Fairway. Thanks!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited July 2010

Amy-Good to hear you will be at Fairway!

Melinda- Let me know what you find out...I may be doing the same thing.

• Melonda
    edited July 2010

SO BUMMED! Celeste said that they have never had their patients go to his shop and she doubts it would be allowed due to insurance reasons. I explained that the people here don't have much experience and I would be paying for it here anyways so I don't mind having to pay for it. She said she's have to check with them and a manager because it's never been done before. She's going to call me back bu she doubts it.

Plus I asked her about lipo-ing my fat arms and she said no, cant be done :( which i also figured but i was super hopeful!!

• Dejaboo
    edited July 2010

Sorry to hear that on the Tatts Melinda : (

Lipo of arms I have heard does not turn out well...So its probably not that they dont want to do it...But they know it wont look good.  Disappointing though.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited July 2010

Melinda: Donn did my seashells and if you want to contact him directly I have his address and phone number. You can also email him at www. tattooagogo.com.  I think he will charge you about $300. for the tats. I think he is very good with the standard nippes if that is what you are getting.

Also, I stayed at Homewod Suites on both of my visits, perfect for what we were there for and close to everything we needed.

PM me if you need Don's infoSmile

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited July 2010

Did anyone have plication problems later ??  I went jogging last week and my stomach feels like it is on fire right now.  I called the center and they told me to take advil.  I also have to send nipple pictures and Liz said most likely it would be done in the office so and in and out procedure for me.  I want to get tat's now but once again bc is teaching me patience.....grrrr...

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited July 2010

Melinda - if you PM Facecrafter she can give you the name of tattoo artists in your area that have experience w/nipple/areola tattooing. I am contemplating going to Donn at his studio while we are there in October, but was also given the name of someone here who is supposedly fabulous just in case I decide to do things locally.

Jamieh - Sorry to hear about your pain! I think Spring could probably answer that question best. 

Deja - No sweating issues here at all... in fact I think since my hysterectomy I sweat even less than before... I don't even have to wear deodorant anymore. (At least I don't think I have to... if anyone is around me and thinks otherwise, you need to let me know!!! :)  

• Melonda
    edited July 2010

There are 3 people who do them in Ohio but none of them seem very skilled at it and I havent seend pics of any of them...which is pretty mucha  requirement for me before I would go to someone.

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited July 2010

Deja I too have the sweating especially at night when I am trying to fall asleep. Mine is where the neck meets the chest. It is so annoying.

Melinda when I had to go back down for Stage 1 and 1/2. I was suppose to have the surgery Fri Discharge Saturday and Fly home Sunday. Well as ususally things do not go as planned for me. I was still in the hospital on Sunday when my flight was to taking off. With it being Sunday Katie was not at the center and I never gave it a thought to call the airline. Well Katie worked wonders and got them to still alot the 150 dollar changing fee. So I guess is what I am trying to say is Katie can work wonders. Ask her to see what she can do about changing the flight for a minimal or no charge.

I am getting a little nervous about Stage 2 . Do any of you have really hard lumps in the base of your breast. What does that mean?

BTW my sisters biopsy on the hip was negative but they do not know what it is or if there is cancer elsewhere. She is about at her wits end so please keep her in your thoughts and prayers

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited July 2010

Sallym,

I have lumps at the top of my breast.  I am relieved that someone else has noticed this. Anybody else?

• Oddball1
    Oddball1 Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2010

Hi there...

Thanks for the advice.  Other questions:

I am trying to decide whether to have a SNB or not performed by Dr. Legarde.  Has anyone used her for this??  I would appreciate your feedback in a PM if you did have one.  Would like to know what to expect with recovery, etc.

My surgery is scheduled for July 20 with Dr. Sullivan.  I met many women at the conference who used him and they all appeared to be thrilled with their results and his bedside manner.  I know Dr. D is just as good, but did not see as many of his patiens that used him as their primary.  or as many of his pics.  That is why I chose Dr. S.  Tricia your transformation was so incredible!! Thanks for sharing your pics!!  Amazing.

Trying to decide between hip flap or extended stacked DIEP....I am so sick of making decisions.But, grateful at the same time that I have decisions to make. :-) 

Did anyone have extended stacked DIEP??

I am a small B now, and would like to be a C cup I think....unless I will end of having sweaty boobs.  Ha Ha.....and not sure how boobs even feel..Anyone go up a size?  Are you happy if you did?  How do they feel different???  Are they really heavy or okay??? 

What do boobs feel like on your body anyway????  Hee Hee  How do recon boobs feel different....other than loss of sensation.

Really would like to hear from anyone who used the current BS for mastectomies in NOLA and please PM me. 

Another questsion....are infections pretty low or common with these procedures at NOLA?...I read about them time to time.  How do they prevent, what measures are in place, and are these just minor infections you are mostly mentioning??  I see a lot of antibiotics mentioned to handle....does that usually take care of it for those who have experienced this?

Thanks for any and all input......started taking Ativan today.....hope it kicks in soon....does this really help???

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited July 2010

Hey SPRING, will you change my date to September 22nd.  I was so anxious to be made "official" I gave you the date for my follow-up appointment rather than the actual surgery date.  Thanks.

• Melonda
    edited July 2010

SO excited!! Celeste just called and said that Donn agreed to come in on Friday to do my nips!!

• Dejaboo
    edited July 2010

Thats great news Melinda!

Oddball- Im not sure what extended Stacked DIEP is.

My new breasts feel great!  Very Natural & Soft. (SGAP)  They feel denser or maybe firmer then what I had...But I cant remember what the real ones felt like compared to these as it was 26 months ago that I had my BLM.

I am about the same size as I was before.

The SNB is hard to decide on.  I did have it on my Cancer side (which started as DCIS)  But I refused it on my Profalactic side...As I was hopign all my tests were accurate & that I didnt have cancer on that side - which I didnt.   My BS did not like me skipping the SNB.  But he also was against Mastectomies.  I did not want to be at greater risk for Lympedema on that side.

I am BRAC neg.

You need to go with whatever makes you feel safest, most comfortible with.

Try to relax & do things you enjoy while you wait for your surgery & take Nice Slow Deep breaths.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited July 2010

Oddball - you don't have to decide which way to go for your flap, Dr S will walk you through what's best given your shape and your body.  You can express a preference, and if you feel strongly about it, he'll do it, but as good as he is, he's the best guide.  The only drawback to that is that you don't know what you'll do specifically until a day or two before your procedure, which can be annoying.  If you can deal with that, then it's not a bad way to go.

I don't know what kind cancer you're dealing with.  Mine was DCIS, and I had LeGarde to my SNB at the time of mastectomy.  Possibly you are being encouraged to have this done prior to going?  Who is favoring this and why?  I'm sure there must be some rationale that I don't know of. 

• kcshreve
    edited July 2010

SCAR - I've been retaining lots of external abdominal fluid as part of my lymphedema.  I visited my LE therapist today for a treatment and a briefing about this retention.  In that conversation, she talked to me about massaging my DIEP scar.  I did not realize this is something we're supposed to do.  She told me scars get tighter and need to be massaged - mostly a firm, small circle done with a flat hand.  Maybe I missed something?  I just did not know this.  Apparently, this helps the scar stay flatter, smaller, and increases circulation for lymphatic flow over it.    Just thought I'd share.

• kcshreve
    edited July 2010

SCAR - I've been retaining lots of external abdominal fluid as part of my lymphedema.  I visited my LE therapist today for a treatment and a briefing about this retention.  In that conversation, she talked to me about massaging my DIEP scar.  I did not realize this is something we're supposed to do.  She told me scars get tighter and need to be massaged - mostly a firm, small circle done with a flat hand.  Maybe I missed something?  I just did not know this.  Apparently, this helps the scar stay flatter, smaller, and increases circulation for lymphatic flow over it.    Just thought I'd share.

• Dejaboo
    edited July 2010

Good to hear Kcshreve. 

I have my dh massage my GAP scar every night.  I told him it was important to help me heal....I knew it was important for scar healing...but didnt know it helped our Lyphatic system...Well maybe the backside isnt as important as the front? 

(oddball is doing a PBM- she is BRAC+)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2010

AmyM159 and Just4ann - I updated your listings above. let me know if more needed!

Tammy, can you repost the url to your album pics? I did something to my computer and want to try again.TTattooagogo.com! wooo! Thanks for that info.

Melinda, YAY, just read you are getting it done!! This is a less on to everyone. KEEP AT IT!!!! Keep calling and talking.  Does Donn never work on Fridays?? I was hoping to get Tats on a Friday on October.... ugh.

Jamie, no running!!! (yet) Listen to your body! You are being impatient like I was. It is hard. Go slower. You will heal, just not right now!!! 

Sally, I have some lumps  or firmer spots at base (but only on the rads side) I assume something to do with rads. and one at top - that one is fat necrosis the size of a lima bean. . Ask about it when there.

Oddball, what is "extended stacked DIEP"? I had Stacked DIEP lumbar, which is 4 flaps, (belly and butt) 2 in each boob. I think infections are like some people are more prone than others, I don't think it is the facility. Certainly not NOLA. I had a friend who got infections whoever worked on her. (Not Nola, locally).

About SNB - I would only do SNB on the cancer side if it was me, and it was me! and that's what I did. LYMPHEDEMA!!! My advice: Do not do it on the other side if you dn't need to. All I had was SNB and I have issues. Not supposed to happen, but it can. It's a pain, but I've found a way to deal with it (weight training helps me keep it in check). but bottom line:  keep your nodes on your prophylactic side, my advise.... 

• Jaimieh
    edited July 2010

Thanks Spring!!  I think I also have a bad case of canceristis....I have an oncologist appt. tomorrow for the first time since March.  I am seeing an Ativan coming my way tonight.....I am just wired about it. 

Melinda~ Thrilled that you are getting Tat's soon. 

I have to send pictures still....can you say LAZY....yes that's me. 

• Melonda
    edited July 2010

Right now Donn only comes to the office on Tues and Thurs. I asked if I could go to Donn's shop to get them there and she said that they've never arranged that before mainly because insurance won't cover it since it's not in a medical setting. I told her I didn't care about the insurance part since none of the places here would be covered either. So the plan was to just contact Donn myself and hope to arrange it but Celeste called and said that he agreed to come in on that Friday just for me :)

I'm pretty sure it was because I explained to her that there is no one in my area that does these and that I can't afford to come back for stage 3.

• Oddball1
    Oddball1 Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2010

As I prepared for my prophylactic surgery I got an MRI.  A change was noticed and something lit up and it is a non-mass like enhancement.  A change from the last MRI as well.  No one has told me for sure nothing to worry about and at the same time, they act like it is unlikely malignant.  However still suspicious.  I was discouraged from doing a MRI guided biopsy and now kind of wish I would have....and now I am out of time.  Surgery on 20th.  I have the option of doing the surgery without the SNB.  If all comes back clean...please pray this will be the case and I believe it will be....yahoo.  If something shows up, then I will need axillary disection.  Yikes.  What do you all think you would do if you were me and had the gene??? 

kcshreve --Is your lymphedema a result of doing the SNB??  I think the risk is supposed to be low...how many nodes did she remove??

An extended DIEP I think is when they extend the DIEP scar around to hips and put part of hip volume under the DIEP fat.  That is what I think he said.

Thanks for your opinion.  .

• kcshreve
    edited July 2010

Oddball, yes my lymphedema is from my SNB.  The intention was to take one node, the one which was indicated.  When Dr LeGarde went to take it out, it was attached to 6 others in a cluster like a grape.  I don't think this is all that common, but it's not unusual for them to take out 2 or so, given that it may seem like one at the time, but could be a small cluster.  If I were you, I would probably do the SNB, since I had DCIS (which is considered non-invasive) and I still had one.  It was a peace of mind factor for me, which was critical for me at that time.  Now, I've read more about DCIS, and I find that in cases where the area is small, doing a SND is questionable. I don't really know what the newest idea is regarding SNB and other cancers, but I suspect it's considered standard. Believe me, you'd rather have a SNB than the multi-node dissection later.  While there are lower rates of lymphedema with SNB, lymphedema is possible with any kind of surgery in any location that disturbs any lymph glands, so it's good to know about.  It's worth understanding that the side which has had a SNB is considered "at risk" and shouldn't be used for blood draws or blood pressures after that.

• Jaimieh
    edited July 2010

So slacker me finally put my pictures up on tim-tam's site, well the follow up ones that I had to send to Liz.  After seeing them in pictures there is a difference but it isn't that big.  I may see if I can get tat's and then if I still do not like them have righty fixed or amputate lefty some...(oh that sounds horrible). 

Anyone have an opinion... ???  Sandy ???  I know you are the breast queen :).  Everytime that I ask about my left breast with the ridge I get ignored so I guess the center doesn't think that it is that bad..

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited July 2010

It's not fair that Sandy should get to be the breast queen, when she's already the nipple queen!

Pre-op blood work tomorrow - geez, the time has gone fast! I'm totally with the other ladies here who are talking about jittery nerves!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited July 2010

Maybe I could be flap queen? Since I've had both stacked-DIEP and SGAP?

Re: hard lumps - I think the most likely cause of lumps is scar tissue. We have it all over the place, when you think about all the places they joined one part of our body to the other. Or it could be little places the fat didn't quite take - some necrosis - which our bodies could just end up absorbing. Or it can be the edge of the flap - that's how Dr. D explained this little harder ridge along the edge of my breast that my husband asked him about (I hadn't noticed anything there - but DH did, apparently!).Now that I'm an old hand at this flap business, I just try not to worry much about little hard areas - I figure they'll work themselves out over time (or with the help of massage, like Dejaboo had her husband do for her derriere). 

• Dejaboo
    edited July 2010

Are you Saying my Butt was hard Minn?   LOL

You can be the flap queen.

Sorry to be controversial.  But if it were me I would Not do the SNB - Ladies Oddball does not have cancer.  She is doing a Bilateral Profalictic mastectomy because she is BRAC+

yes, there is a very small chance they may find cancer  & she had a MRI that had some changes...but they do not think it is anything suspicious (is that what you said Oddball?)

If you choose to do an SNB- maybe just on the suspicious side...

Granted even with a just Mastectomy one is at risk for Lyphedema...

That is just my opinion

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited July 2010

I'm weighing in with Pam that Oddball should NOT get the SNB. Having had a full dissection on one side, and a single SNB on the other, I am more than worried about the LE risks.

A good friend of mine had a bilateral prophy, no nodes removed, and a 2mm spot of IDC was found in each breast. Her only option was bilateral node dissections (what a choice!) but after consulting with a couple oncologists, they decided the potential for spread to nodes was minimal, and probably wouldn't impact her treatment. She left the nodes alone, took Tamoxifen, and didn't look back.

Just one more opinion to add to the mix.

Anne