Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2010

Amy - glad to hear that you are able to go to Fairway. I would imagine that even if you had to go to Oschner, that you would likely NOT have nurse Ratchett! I don't imagine that she would be allowed to take care of any of Dr. D or S's patients any longer!

PJ - would LOVE to have you do the half marathon in October!!! It will be so fun! It is always hard to stay together when everyone has their own pace, but starting together and meeting at the finish will be the bomb!

Gin - SO glad to hear that you are done with Taxol! Another drug down and a check mark in place! Keep going!

Okay, sorry, I don't have the mental capacity for catching up completely! Have been away visiting family and riding the century portion (100 miles) of the MS 150. (What a blast!) Drove 12 hours home today and am exhausted but wanted to see how everyone was doing. Laughlines, loved your post... hurray for you!!!

And really, is it just me or does this thread specifically read "NOLA in Sept"... so why is it that certain people (and you know who you are, ahem, Better Body) are trying to get people from this thread to go to their docs in, oh, let's just say, South Carolina? Is there not a separate thread for that??? Sorry, I am just bugged by it, but who knows, I am menopausal and overtired from the drive... so it may just me being crabby...

• Nordy
    edited June 2010

PS - Soccer Mom! Miss you! Will call you tomorrow... I also have a sick baby on top of every thing else, so am running to tend to her... ((((hugs)))))

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited June 2010

I have officially graduated from the Center!! Whoop-Whoop!!

Quick trip to New Orleans - stayed at the Bienville House - LOVED IT!! Great location, lovely rooms, and nice staff! Will stay there again!

Donn did my tat's today - they are beautiful!! I must admit though - the right side HURT while he was doing it!! I do not have the 'football' patch on my right side.....and Dr. S must have done an incredible job of connecting those nerve endings.......The left side was not painful at all - I do have the 'football' patch on that side.

I asked Celeste if I could get a CD of all my pictures, and she had it ready when it was time for me to leave! I will post pictures on TimTams site as soon as I get a chance.

Jill - sorry I missed you - wishing you the best of luck!!

NOLA is HOT AND HUMID!! My daughters glasses fogged up as soon as we stepped outside the airport at Midnight Sunday night!! We walked all over the quarter and garden district Monday.....my bra and clothes were still wet Tuesday morning! Loved every moment of it though!!

The Album is beautiful!! THANKS AGAIN TAMMY FOR ORGANIZING IT! Everyone at the Center is soooo appreciative!!

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited June 2010

Nordy.....I think there isn't  a deliberate plan to try and get people to go to Charleston. It's just another option. I know I followed this thread for almost a year to learn what I have from all you ladies. I decided to have my surgery with Dr. Massey. She operates out of NOLA with Dr. D&S, and out of Charleston with Dr. Kline & Craigie. We all have so much to learn from each other and it's always nice to know there are other options. I fully intended on going to NOLA with Dr. Massey then found out it would be much cheaper for me to see her in Charleston. Both threads will help ladies as they search out what it right for them. I've never "talked" with betterbody, so I don't know what comment you were referring to. Hopefully we can all continue to share on any thread. Regardless of the Dr., the questions are the same and most of the information can be used by all. Please don't take offense at helpful suggestions by others. We are all in this together :)

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited June 2010

I'm not part of the NOLA contingent, but am happy to share my SGAP experience with anyone here who asks. And for people who CAN'T go to NOLA, I'm always going to suggest looking into other places, specifically Charleston, since I have experience with the hospital and surgeons. I've developed friendships on this thread based on a common experience. No need to restrict it.

Anne

• KristyAnn
    KristyAnn Member Posts: 131
    edited June 2010

Nordy,

I agree that it is the common experience that bonds us- not the locaiton of surgery. I originally came here thinking I would go to NOLA- closer to home, have family there etc and was devastated dealing with the financials being reported out to me by Vicki at NOLA. I have a lot of gratitude for the ladies on here who pointed out the other practices (Charleston, San Antonio and NY) who also do DIEP in a team practice- I found other options and did not have to give up my hopes of DIEP reconstruction.

I read both locations boards now- so mnay good ideas and notes on the pre op and post op- GREAT source of information!

Kristy

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited June 2010

I dont' think that is what Nordy meant.  She is one of the first people to point people in other directions, as she interviewed docs all over the country.  She has talked highly of her experience visiting with the doc at PRMA in TX. 

I think what she is referring to, is BetterBody's questioning of Amy's decision, without any other posting on this thread. That's my take on it.   

We have ladies from all over the world on this thread.  

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited June 2010

Wow! Catching up on a week of posts is really something! I love reading it all, but feel compelled to say something to most everyone, and that requires my taking lots of notes! And I wrote them on the back of an envelope and I probably won't be able to read them now! Wish it were possible to flip back to previous pages for reference.

Okay, first I just want to jump to Nordy's defense. I know she's totally supportive of all of us sharing info on this thread and all are welcome. But I just have to say that I bristled a bit, too, at some of the negative comments about NOLA re: prices and the implication that they're all about money when we know they are not! As I said before, sometimes it has gone the other way, and Charleston has been more costly than NOLA - it all depends on your insurance. I hate for women to get the impression that they can't afford NOLA before they even check it out. So if anyone out there is feeling discouraged - don't be - check it out! My insurance paid EVERYTHING for NOLA! They considered it "in network" eventho I'm from Minnesota!

Gin - Congrats on getting thru the taxol! Celebrate in some way!

Jinger! - did u tell them to take out the pain ball again?! Be honest. You didn't, did you?! WOW - you had one heckuva long surgery! So what size are those girls now?

KC & Trish - no underwear?! OMG! You need underwear! You wear them on the outside of the dom outfit so you can pull them up and down - otherwise it is just you and your Calvin's!

Sallym - I'm so glad my post about being tired, still, helped. Also, ladies, a lot of us are probably low on iron. My doc has had me taking iron supplements now for over a month - I plan to be all ready, come the end of the month! You will LOVE Niagara Falls - awesome! Mesmerizing!

Lydia - So does this mean you are volunteering for the dance-off?!

Trishia - Or more aptly, the cherry on the sundae!

Tammy - I bet the shells will fade...

Mchas - As time goes on, tattooing of the nips can cause some pain. I waited a year out to have mine and felt a little, on the edge. At subsequent re-tattooing, I felt more :( and :)

Nordy - Hi!!!!!

LouAnn - Yeah for the new nips!!!! So what did you do on Bourbon this time?!!! And did you scare Dr S again?

PlainJane - Thanx for the long updates! 

Laughlines - Hey, I said "darned" good! So glad you're doing so well so soon - and even trying on new bras and swimsuits. YEAH!!!!!!

Jaimie - It's okay to take it easy, still.

Macksix - Well my onc said I never needed to come back and I needed no mammo's. But now I'm wondering...I would think, if anything, breast MRI's would be the way to go, but I bet insurance wouldn't cover them now.

Mauicarol - Prayers and positive thoughts your way today!

And I can't read the rest of my writing - but it was saying hi to new gals, I think! It is great that we can all have these positive experiences with our reconstructions, after coming thru so much crap to get here!

Oh, and hi to Dejaboo and Sandy, just for good measure...

• Nordy
    edited July 2010

Okay, so I want everyone to know, (thank you Tricia and Eve) I am not against people going elsewhere for surgery. Yes, I have totally pointed people to other docs when they absolutely cannot make it work in Nola - I think it was Kristy that was having difficulty, so I suggested PRMA. It is not the sharing... or the caring... it is the manner in which this specific post was done. Like a cougar tracking its prey, just waiting for someone to have an inkling of doubt about working things out in NOLA so they can jump on them and start PM'ing info about going to Charleston. In this case I probably took it even more to heart, as many of us had met Amy in Nola in March and know how much she liked the Nola docs. So to me, it feels like hijacking the thread (and our friend) with the intent of swaying anyone who has even a hint of doubt at all about Nola to go to Charleston. That's all... and Anne, you should already know I adore you... anyone who loves to ride their bike as much as I do is a kindred spirit... and I have never taken offense to any comment you have ever made. With this person it was different... all of a sudden she appeared from nowhere and... well I have already stated the rest. So, I am done now...  you all know how I feel.

LouAnn - so happy for you! Congrats on being part of the "all done club"!

BCDiva!!! Can't wait to see you in October!!!

Edited for Grammar... or is it Grammer? LOL Maybe I better check my spelling too!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited June 2010

Why do you need underwear?  You need water, not undies!  Thousands of peeps go freestyle everyday!!!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2010

damn, thanks Minnesota... not even a mention or a hello for good measure. Undecided lol j/k 

• Nordy
    edited June 2010

PS - Tricia, I am with you on the underwear thing. I never could bring myself to wear underwear on top of the dominatrix! Freedom!!!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited June 2010

Hi Cindy!  How are you?  Hope things are going well in Indy!!!  Smile

About the thread being hijacked, just wanted to say I understand what Nordy is saying.  It's more the way it was done than what was said.  I think some people have the wrong idea about the cost of going to NOLA.  I guess it depends on insurance and individual policies and out of pocket deductibles and all of that.  I could have gone somewhere else and paid nothing but I wanted the best doctors in the world because I figured I only had one shot to do it right the first time.  I had to pay some out of pocket but it was worth every cent.   I think I would have had the same out of pocket costs no matter where I went because of my insurance. 

Anyway, information sharing and freedom to choose your own doctor is what it's all about.  And since we don't know what the future of healthcare will bring, we should all be happy we still CAN make these choices freely.

Best wishes to all the current NOLA girls and to everyone going to Charleston, Houston, NY and everywhere else!  Cool

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010

I must have missed the whole betterbody thing, and it's my thread! ha!  I have been quite overwhelmed at work lately. If Anyone ever needs me and I don't get back to you here, PM me. I see those for sure. 

Everyone agrees that this thread morphed into "NOLA in September, and Beyond!" Beyond September, Beyond NOLA.  

OKay, so BCDiva inspired me to contact Jeanine and so I am trying to arrange a Tattoo session and a "phase 3 touchups" at end of Oct as well.  Waiting to hear back!

So here is who we have at Oct end: am I missing anybody? Nordy and PJ? you were talking about something at end of Oct?

• Oct 28 - BreastCancerDiva - Even up "the girls" and nip tweak w/ Dr. D NOLA
    • Oct 29 - SandyinParidise - Tweek w/Dr. D., NOLA.
    • Oct 29 - Minnesota - Nipple augmentation with Dr. D. (if needed, to get Sandy's nipples) NOLA
    • Nov 1 - Dejaboo - Stage 2B, NOLA.

I am a member of the "panties over the dom" club!!! 
  • Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2010

Hi to everyone!

Ya'll are just great, and I appreciate everyone's well wishes before my Stage 2 last Thursday. Thought I'd post some thoughts in case they're helpful to anyone...I think my experience may be less common, in that I found Stage 2 and the last week to be more painful and tiring than Stage 1

My thoughts:

My Stage 2 lasted 8 hours, and I look like I was run over by a truck-twice. I had plication, generous lipo, some fat injection in the "elephant ass" area of my behind, a substantial reduction, and a lift. The bruises are QUITE startling,  (A gal at the airport--love the word "gal", learned it from Minn :) -- waited until my hubby stepped away and asked me, "Are you Okay?  Are you sure? You look terrible." :)  

I have been very tired and napping a lot.  Until last night none of my napping or sleeping was restful.  Then, bam, slept for the better part of 14 hours and seem to be catching up.

I love, love, loved the painball, it was my bestest friend in the whole, wide world.  I was sad to say goodbye at post op.  (Minn--it was Dr. Trahan (meanie) that wanted to snatch my pain ball away from me last time, after just 4 days, and did.  Wish I knew then...)

Have I mentioned the pain? I was down to Tylenol except for the occassional pm pain pill by a week or so post surgery after Stage 1.  Not so this time.  I was going for walks--long walks, by now.  Not so, again. It takes me several minutes just to stand up. Plication = Pain.  But, I totally trust Dr. D and know that I will be so glad I did it.

I get tired just getting myself settled into the bed or a chair.  BUT, I do still get up and walk around the house, or outside for a minute about once an hour.

Size: The previous old ladies were perhaps an F? G? The new girls (and my oh my they are girlish!) are going to be a C.  All are thrilled!  Dr D is an amazing artist and has worked true medical miracles--all while being a wonderful person as well.

Eating: I have been eating my super healthy, normal style, except have gone down to zero added salt. Lots of water and green tea, veggies, oatmeal, fruit, cottage cheese, chicken.  The swelling seems to be going down quite a bit already, so hopefully it continues.

Hospital, nurses, docs, were absolutely wonderful once again.  This time we stayed at the Hotel Monteleone and I really enjoyed it; more than the Ritz.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have.  You have all been such a help and have done so very graciously and kindly.  Thank you! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010

Jinger, my phase 2 was also rough, plication and tons of lipo. It was not as bad as phase 1 though! But it did take longer than I expected to feel myself again. I think you're just so OVER feeling compromised, you long to be your old self.

Hang in there!!! Thanks for the update!  

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2010

Hi again... You all are such an amazing resource.  Amy told me all about this Board and I've learned so much from reading your posts.  Thanks for letting me be here and lurk around awhile before being courageous enough to ask quetions... and thanks for jumping right in and answering them all!

I am 5 weeks out of my SGAP.  Was really starting to feel better when - wham! - last week I got an infection in both hips.  It subsided, but then came back yesterday.  Dr. D. switched me from Keflex to Leviquan.  Today, my R hip still hurts, and there's a definitely a big, fluid-filled pocket in there, but I think it's a smidge better.  I just feel like I've been hit by a mack truck this week.   Ugh!  Has this happened to anybody else?  

I'm also still putting out a ton in my drains and it doesn't seem to be slowing down at all.  It ranges from 35cc-85cc per hip, per day still.  No rhyme or reason: doesn't matter if I'd walked that day or not, or if i took my Dom outfit off and wore bike-short type pants.  Nothing.  Has this happened with anybody else?

As far as Stage 2 is concerned, does everybody need a plication?  I didn't have DIEP surgery, so I'm assuming that they wouldn't go near my belly, but is that true?  I have 4 kids but I don't think I ever experienced my ab muscles separating while I was pregnant (I'm pretty tall so I didn't stick out that much - my babies could stand straight up in there, I think).

Sorry for all the questions (again!).  Just wondering.  

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited July 2010

My stage 2 is in 15 days so I really appreciate the input about it from recent patients! I am so freakin excited to have it done. I am not doing the nipples but I am planning on literally whatever else Dr S thinks is a good idea,plication included....so I'm a bit frightened of the pain but I figure since I won't be as scared (waiting for failure) as I was after stage 1 I can handle more pain. Especially since 90% of it is cosmetic at this stage for me.

Getting excited to go back, we're staying at the Hope the whole time this time as opposed to doing a hotel after the surgery. I guess I"m kind of nervous about finding a grocery store and getting food. I've heard taxis from the Hope are pricey, does anyone remember if there  is a grocery store within walking distance? I wish the town car driver would stop somewhere on the way from the airport lol, that would make my life so much easier!

And i am 100% on the NO PANTIES with the dom, there was already too much freakin fabric going on with that thing, i didnt need to work with more lol!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2010

Welcome newbies, and congrats to recent Stage 1 and 2ers!  My scab come off this am, and Jeanine said the pic I sent looked good, so she is checking on scheduling my Stage 2.  I think I said before I have to schedule after my daughter's wedding, and have to see what ins will pay since it changed the 1st of the year, but will let Springtime know when it is scheduled.  As much as I would love to be there with everyone, just not sure I can swing it, but we shall see.  In the meantime, I finally feel like I am making progress...  back on every 3 wk schedule with herceptin now that taxol is done, and have my 3rd B12 shot tomorrow, (Really feel like those are helping a lot!) and can actually feel like there will be a time I will NOT have a bandage of any kind on my right breast!.    Take care all.  We are ALL so lucky to have found each other and NOLA as well as the other options available to us!! 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited July 2010

Melinda~ You can take a bus towards the city and there is a grocery store on the left OR if you come out of the lodge and walk towards the highway there is a closer grocery store in the other direction.  You know I did a ton of walking.....lol....

As for me stage 2 kicked my a$$....no question about it.  I say that but I would do it over again.  Stage 2 I was under longer and the stomach plication was a beast for me but I would do it again and it was during allergy season.  So I came home and sneezed so much that I would cry.

I am in the inbetween panty crowd....lol... and I peed on multiple pairs of underwear....lol...

BTW, FINALLY my nipple is healed so I need to send pictures and see what the plan is.  I have decided that I would really like it to look more like the other side. 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited July 2010

Hey, hi back to you Minn!!   I was away for a few days attending a trade show in Dallas, and it was so wonderful to come back to our cool oceanside community, albeit with a thick marine layer--our typical "June Gloom".  It was over 100 degrees in Texas over the weekend. 

2tzus, it would be soooooo much fun to fly to NOLA with you in October.  Let me know if you are going to go, and we'll see if we can work that out!  We could be Xanax buddies if you'd like. although I've now made two round trips recently (actually 8 flights) without it.  I convinced myself that me taking drugs doesn't make the flight any safer.   My flight from Houston to LAX on Sunday night was pretty bumpy, but not once did i audibly inhale and embarrass myself.  Definite progress!!  

Okay, now for my exciting news to share: I was always small-chested, and only reached a B+ after having kids.  I'd been wearing a 38C bra for the past couple of years since my DIEP.  Now that I've been working out and have lost weight and inches, I went shopping for a 36C, thinking that surely these gorgeous breasts Dr. D gave me had shrunk accordingly.  Well, the 36 was good, but the C was not.  I am a 36D!!!!!!  I can hardly believe it!  Woo hoo, for the first time in my life!!!   When I look in the mirror, I don't see what I thought D cup breasts would look like, I guess because the girls are so perky, but still!!!!   I'm mentally prepared to go back down to a C as I lose more weight, but then again, maybe someday I'll be a 34D. Laughing

As far as costs to go to NOLA, if they advise anyone of a copay not within her means, LET THEM KNOW!  These are the docs who just committed $1 million to the newly launched foundation Breastoration and will be doing at least four pro-bono surgery cases per year.  Dr. D recently said that he is doing breast reconstruction because he knows that it is what he was meant to do with his life, and if ever there were surgeons who are not just in it to make a profit......they don't want anyone going into the poorhouse paying for breast reconstruction, but you have to make the Center aware of what you can afford so they can go to bat for you.  

• Minnesota
    edited July 2010

Hotbutt a.k.a. That Little Sneak! - OMG! Hello! How are ya?

Mchas - so sorry you're having this crappy stuff happen now! but glad you're retaining your sense of humor! Your kids standing up in utero! You and 2tzus, looking like a traffic cone, are great comic relief!

I never knew I was hanging out with such a wild group of women! Wearing no underwear! I caution you, tho, and I know of what I speak. Don't ever let your pants fall down!

Jaimie - glad your nipple is healed, finally!!!

Jinger - I'm so sorry you're feeling so badly.Stage 2 was tough for me last time, too, I agree with Springtime in that the plication added to the overall recovery time alot and just the sheer amount of time feeling decrepid really really got to me. But I'm glad I did it. Also, I only had a little bit of lipo and couldn't believe how painful it was! So i can only imagine a whole lot! I am going to rely on it, tho, this time, to get rid of some of the extra weight i gained to get a bigger rear end! BTW, what's an elephant butt?

• Minnesota
    edited July 2010

Sandy! I have never been over a B in my life! (except for the Big Bra) All you gals (Jen - how can someone from Texas not have used "gal" before! "Buffalo gal won't you come out tonite..." Isn't that a song about a Texas gal?) with big breasts make me a bit envious! But who knows  - maybe when I get Sandy's nipples, mine will grow to a 'C' too! 

• Nordy
    edited July 2010

2T - Would LOVE to see you in October!

Spring - PJ and I are doing a half marathon (right Jenn - are you in?) - www.jazzhalf.com the last weekend in October. So far I am not there for any other reason than to see friends from this board. I am thinking of doing tats while there, because that 1/2 marathon will wrap up my summer events... I think I would end up having to go to Don's tattoo studio for them as it is my understanding that he works at the office on Tues and Thurs - which won't work with my flights. Anyway, still thinking about it!

• KristyAnn
    KristyAnn Member Posts: 131
    edited July 2010

Hi Ladies,

Just wondering from the people that chose to NOT have nipples done- how and why you made that decision? Im debating the same thing and options associated with it- Ive heard some ladies dont do the nipples and get really good tats instead. Please share your thoughts!

kristy

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited July 2010

Minn!  It's the fat injections, I'm telling you!  I think Dr. D has done them three times.  Honestly, I think I'm losing a bit of the volume in the upper poles as my weight is slowly dropping, and I might ask to have that addressed as some of the tweaking. 

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited July 2010

We Hit the 200 page mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Springtime! Kristiann I did nips but no tats as yet..might never do 'em?

Sandy I can just picture you and Tzus in the airport...wheelchairs anyone?! LOL

Wink

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited July 2010

Sandy... does it normally take three or so rounds of fat injections for a significant amount to stay put?  Do you know? 

I'm great Minnesota.. thanks for asking!  LOL

200 pages! wow... again might I add that this thread has been a huge help to me.... ty Spring for starting it....

Vaca in 7 days.... yay! Laughing 

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited July 2010

Jinger- Sorry to hear your stage 2 has been very hard.  I hope you feel better very soon.

My Stage 2 was very hard for me too.  Except for the 1st 5 days of stage 1.  it was harder.  On day 6 of stage 1 I walked 3.5 miles around the Qtr.

On day 6 of stage 2 I was on the couch all day...Until Day 10!   And no one took time off for my stage 2.  So it was just me & Dejaboo : )

I didnt have a Plication or much lipo...Im not a wimp either ;o

But it did get better.... So hopefully yours will very soon too.

• Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited July 2010

Today is a better day! Yay. Thank you for the comfort.  I have felt very positive emotionally and today my energy and pain level are catching up.

Walked for about 10-15 minutes in the morning, plus my worn path around the house throughout the day.  Minn: Don't know HOW I never used "Gal" before, with the Minnesota mother and Texas life?! Melinda you must be getting to that anxious place.  Good luck!  I suggest, as I have before (sorry if I'm repeating myself) lots of water, healthy food, stretching, walking, massage and meditation beforehand.  I also upped my Vit C & D. 

Regarding undies...I am a convert to the wild side. When undies hurt after Stage 1 I started the "free" approach.  Eventually I would wear them if in public.  Now I'm so happy to be back to "free".  Who knows where I'll end up?! 

Nipple news: A couple of weeks after Stage 1 (nipple sparing) my R nipple quit changing--cold, touch---nothin.  As of this morning there she was, standing up at attention due to cold! Yay! Don't know what transpired, but Dr. D said ahead of time it may be due to swelling and may return.  Indeed...he knows of what he speaks!