Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited December 2010

Melindastn--I hate not eating for long stretches but it is the caffeine withdraw that is the worst for me!!  I will send you and fourboy and spring my cell # too.

I am also surprisingly excited about my upcoming trip. That and sort of nervous about the surgery, but I'm looking forward to being in NOLA again and this time with my family. We are celebrating Christmas a week early so we can do the tree/presents at home, and are planning a Christmas dinner on Monday night. Has anyone been to GW finns or MiLa?  Trying to find somwherewith great and interesting food that also has something my 11 yo will eat!

Any place is fine with me if we get together on Sun. Looks like Cafe Fleur De Lis is open only for breakfast and lunch. The desserts at Palace Cafe look yummy:)

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2010

Palace Cafe sounds good to me for desert.  Let me know what time works best for the rest of you.  We will probably have dinner around 6:30 at Herbsaint.

Thanks for the help with restaurants near my hotel.  I know my daughter will feel better not going far away from the hotel by herself at night.

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2010

The verdict is in....I have a seroma on my booty or should I say in my booty as apparently it is quite deep. Ultrasound confirmed that the redness around my incision is that and maybe not so much an infection. I'm waiting for my local Doc to find a place ASAP that will do an aspiration with ultrasound. Ugh!

• amym159
    edited August 2013

Xfit--Oh no!  You have had more than your fair share of complications, that's for sure:( I hope this is easily dealt with.  Amy

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010

Liz, Nordy is our local expert on ASS-pirations, just sayin!!! She can advise! I think she said it didn't hurt at all. 

Amy, Melinda, and Fourboy. We are driving from NC to NOLA and leaving Saturday. We arrive on Sunday, sometime, but not sure when. Hopefully in time to meet you all! I am staying at the Homewood too (bringing DH and 2 DDs, 18 and 21). 

So where are we meeting? Palace Cafe? and what time?  (I am not sure where that is but will look it up!).

Spring.

OH Ann, I will add Susie's surgery right now! Jan 4!! Spring. 

• Xfitgirl
    edited December 2010

Thanks Spring!

Hey Nordy! I saw your ass at NOLA and it looked mighty fine! I need an ultrasound guided aspiration as the seroma is deep.  Don't want it to bust my incision :( What is your experience with these things? Any info welcome.

By the way, your boobs looked amazing too! :)  

• amym159
    edited December 2010

cracking up!

Where else can you read "I saw your ass at NOLA and it looked might fine!"

• amym159
    edited December 2010

Spring, it dawned on me that maybe we should try to meet somewhere close to fourboymom's hotel since she is going to be post op. Melindastn, what time do you think you can make it?

• melindastn
    edited December 2010

You guys let me know what time and where works for you and I will be there.  I will bring my daughter (22).  I want her to meet some of the amazing women on this forum.  Amy you are right, whatever works for fourboymom.

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2010

Hi Ladies-it's freezing here in Jersey too, no snow yet though!

Minnesota- you are amazing with your posts. I elect you as our board secretary. I hope you are staying warm and cozy.

Best wishes to Lciscarroll,Fourboymom,Melindastn,Springtime and amym159. I am already seeing the positive work of Dr. D's amazing hand.

I took a picture with him before leaving and Wow-what a sweetie!

Amy - Dr.D had recommended G.W.Fins to my husband and I. We Loved it! Very nice restaurant-not sure if your 11 year old will like or not, I think it is primarily seafood. K-Joe's was good on St. Lois , if you go tell Kitsy her friend from Jersey sent you.

New orleans is soooo pretty at Christmas- be sure to check out lobby of Roosevelt Hotel-Baroone St. near Canal(they also have tea room, cute for kids) and Le Pavillion on Poydras 

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2010

I did lots of walking day of discharge up until I left, there is so much to see. Also, check out the French Market to the left of Jackson Square facing the river.

Oh, I just thought of a cute italian rest.for you, across from Lafayette Park-can't think of street right now but they make home made pasta.

I hope everyone is feeling good and enjoying the holiday season.

I have to have knee surgery next week, then I am REALLY looking forward to ringing in the new year!!!! Love and Hugs 

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010

Okay I am staying at the Bienville house in the French Quarter just because that is where we were at last time. Not sure where all of these places are but there were great restaurants EVERYWHERE. I will collect any PM'd cell phone #'s. It would be fun to meet.

xfitgirl  Keep us posted on ass*piration. Your rear end is in my prayers :). By the way, how long have you been doing crossfit? That in itself is pretty crazyamazing. You go girl!

mamaluch  good luck on the knee surgery

I sent an email to all of my family with a link to the CNN feature on youtube. Thank you so much. After watching that I'm sure they will better understand how special our docters in NOLA are.

Prayers for continued healing for everyone.  

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010

I am a coffee addict. To avoid the headache the morning of surgery I take a No Doze with a TINY sip of water. Does the trick every time. Hope that helps. I mentioned this to the nurse and she seemed okay with it.

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited August 2013

Just a quick update.  I had my follow up with Dr S.  I thought my swelling was pretty bad but he said he had seen much worse.  Maybe I am just a drama queen.  (My thoughts -- not his) That would explain where my daughter gets it. :c)

He is sending me a new DOM outfit that will go all the way to the ankles. They don't have them in stock so he will have to special order it. It will have the bra built in too.  In the mean time he gave me some TED hose that goes up mid thigh, and told me to wear them until the new compression garment comes.  He said he is sending me two different sizes because once the swelling starts subsiding I will see a major difference very quickly and will have to change sizes to maintain the compression I will need.  The reason I have to have the one with the bra build in is because I am so long waisted that the other just keeps slipping down.  He said he didn't want a gap in coverage because I may end up with a bit of a roll and neither of us wants that.  I just love him!  He is such a perfectionist!  

In fact, I didn't get my nipples as planned.  I mentioned that I would be coming back as caregiver for my sister early January.  He asked if I would be upset if he waited until then for the nipples.  He wasn't quite satisfied with my symmetry.  When he removed the flaps he said he didn't really notice then but obviously one flap was a bit wider than the other,  That caused one breast to be a bit lower than the other.  He wants to make just a slight adjustment before he adds the nipples.  He will do my sister's surgery and then a couple of days later do mine so we will be in the hospital together. He said I will still be able to take care of her once we are released.  It will just be a very minor surgery but with much better results.  Is he fabulous or what!?!?!

He went so far as to pull out the photograph with the flaps to show me and my husband that there was definitely a difference in the two flaps.  My husband told him one breast had always been slightly larger than the other.  Dr. S said  "Well, if its all the same, I would like for them to be the same size."

We left the office and headed home.  He said for us to stop every hour or so and walk around.  We got to Memphis at my daughter's house about 1AM.  I slept a couple of hours but kept waking up so I thought I would make good use of the time and give everyone an update.  We are still about 3 hours from home.  We didn't run into any snow yet but my youngest daughter who lives about 2 miles from me says we have about 4 inches on the ground with more in the forecast.  The roads near home are really bad.  We live way out in the country and the roads don't get a lot of traffic so snow tends to get turned into slush which then turns into ice. That should make for interesting travel.  Didn't see that coming or we would have brought the 4 wheel drive.  Wish us luck.  I'll post again when I get home

--Ann  

-- 

• just4ann
    edited December 2010

Hey, how long does this pain from the plication last?  There are times when I think I am going to cry out it hurts so bad and burns.  Please tell me this is short lived

-- Ann 

• melindastn
    edited December 2010

What determines that you get a plication?

• melindastn
    edited December 2010

Ann, do you still have drains?  I am just trying to figure out what I have to look forward to.

• Xfitgirl
    edited December 2010

Getting my ultrasound guided aspiration at 1:00pm today! The nurse practitioner at the Medical Center AND the scheduler are both breast cancer survivors. One is still wearing her wig! They worked some magic this morning to get me in today as radiology places are all really busy.

Dr D is really concerned about the seroma pushing open my incision so I feel like I have been touched by Angels on Earth to get this accomplished so soon. It's so deep we didn't know it was there until yesterday afternoon when I had an ultrasound. My incision is a pinkish red which we originally thought may have been an infection. Jeanine at the Center pushed for an ultrasound because of her experience with other cases. I told her I think Dr D should give her a raise for being so persistent and being right.

Thanks to all of you on FB who gave me some great advice :) 

fourboymom - My hubby and I own Crossfit Blaze in Naples and our son is our Head Coach. He has competed in numerous competitions and has all kinds of certifications. I started CrossFit in Feb and love it. I have to modify some of the moves because of my lymphy arm but I still get my butt kicked!!! I'm looking forward to getting back into it after my surgeries and recovery. Right now the only thing kicking my butt is a seroma and I hope to kick it's butt today! BTW, thanks for passing along the CNN piece.

• Xfitgirl
    edited December 2010

I just realized I had some PM about aspirations. Thanks ladies! What an awesome bunch of supportive women you all are!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2010

Who's going to be in NOLA around Feb 18? I'll be there then unless Marga's facility in Utah takes my insurance, then I'll go there on the first of March.

I am so freaking ready to get all this DONE!

Anne

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2010

Good morning ladies... Well, I am so, so sick. It appears that my hubby and I have both gotten the virus that gave my daughter croup last week... and although we don't have croup, we both feel like crap. I keep wondering when it will get better - it started Saturday night and it has hit the turning point yet! Ugh.

On another note - and not a very good one at that - I found a new lump in my breast. It is on the cancer side, just under the skin and above my football flap scar line. So - in my original breast skin, not the skin from my hip AND in the exact same area of my original breast cancer. Trying, trying, trying not to freak out. Have an appointment with my local PS in the morning to have her palpate it and will go from there. Right now it is about the size of a pea. Hoping that if it IS anything that it can be easily removed. So... I have no words - just feel really worried, but I have worried about things before that turned out to be nothing... and then... I have had things turn out to be something... 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2010

Oh - and Laurie - healing thoughts with you today - knowing it will all go well!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2010

Oh no, Nordy! I'm so sorry you are having to go thru this! I just have to think it will be nothing. Gosh, can breast cancer ever be in the skin? I mean I know it can come thru the skin from the breast, but if the breast tissue is gone, I don't think it can just manifest in the skin. I'm so glad you're able to get this looked at right away. Try not to freak out. I just know this has to be nothing, and even if it isn't, it is totally isolated from the rest of your body by the nonbreast tissue, right?!

Liz - Good luck with your assssspiration. You'll be so relieved, once it's over, and then there will be nothing else to interfere with your healing. And yes, I agree that Nordy's ass looks mighty good, but I think I've only seen in in clothes - how come you got to see it?!

Mamaluch - But I don't think I want to be secretary. It would be too stressful. Beverly is the secretary!

Ann - I sure hope your swelling gets better soon - that new garment sounds really cozy, from where I'm sitting (subzero!).

Good luck today, Carol!

Sorry to anyone I forgot on the previous page. I didn't take notes and if I go back a page I lose this and my memory sucks!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010

Nordy, OH MY!! I am thinking of you!! I am now worried with you, and hoping for the best. Please do let us know. My goodness. 

Ann, I hate to say it, but I think my half plication from navel down took about 5 months to feel good enough to go to the gym and do weights. Hang in there. I hope you deflate soon!!!

• just4ann
    edited December 2010

Nordy, I am so sorry you are having to worry about cancer again.  I am in agreement with Minnesota on this one.  In fact, I was concerned shortly after my mastectomy because my surgeon had done skin sparing and left what I considered a great deal of skin.  I talked to her about being concerned about cancer returning because there was so much skin and she told me that there is no way for cancer to return without the breast tissue.  So unless breast tissue was left behind you should be fine.  Of course, I know that won't prevent you from worrying until you know for sure but hopefully it will ease your mine a little.  I am glad you are getting to have it checked out quickly.  Waiting is always the hardest part.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Just an update.  We got home about 3 hours ago.  A little bit of slipping and sliding the closer we got but nothing major.  I couldn't wait to get a nice hot shower and try my different compression garments.  I was surprised to see all of the swelling in my legs had gone down.    

Without a doubt the Marena is the best by far in my opinion.  Of course I havne't gotten my new full body suit that Dr S was sending me yet.  But comparing what I have, the Spanx are alright but the Marena is so comfortable and fits much better.  I had found one on ebay a month or so ago for a good deal.  And now that I have compared it to the others first hand, I would pay full price for it if I necessary.  Just sayin'.

I can't remember who asked (medication mode) but Dr. S took my drains out for me yesterday.  They were barely putting anything out so he went ahead and pulled them.  I was so glad.  I hate drains.  

That's all I have for now.  The granddaughter just came in to "take care of me' .  She is 4 years old so I have to be on high alert!  She will love me to bits.

Happy healing .. 

--Ann 

• melindastn
    edited December 2010

Ann,  Glad you are home safe and sound.  There is nothing like being home. 

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited December 2010

Nordy I too am sorry to hear this.

Will be thinking of you & Hope that everything is A-Ok.

Hope you  & dh feel better soon too.

I have been sick for about 10 days...Hoping it goes away soon.

I am going to my PCP on Thursday...As my Thrush is still not gone : (

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2010

Nordy - my thoughts will be with you tonight and tomorrow.  Please let us know what you find out as soon as you can. 

• amym159
    edited December 2010

Nordy, adding my thoughts and worry along with everyone else.  Also thinking it is probably fine, but I can imagine how scary this is!

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited December 2010

Nordy - I am thinking of you too and praying that's it nothing.