Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2010

Hey, I have not used my facebook account in a while but I starting it back up.  If anyone wants to befriend me send me a PM and I will send you my email address.  Hope to hear from everyone.

--- Ann 

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2010

So glad to hear everyone is doing so great after Stage 2. I am getting really excited to go next weekend and get it over with.  How many days out should I start taking the Arnica Montana?

Xfit - I had to start on the Levaquin after my last drain.  It made me feel better a few hours after I took the first one. 

Ambien has been my friend for sleeping on my back.  I would take 1/2 pain pills during the day and try not to have any late in the evening so I could take my Ambien.  Pain pills tend to keep me awake.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited December 2010

Melinda, are you referring to arnica, the little pellets to reduce swelling and bruising? I took mine a day before surgery, the day of, and a couple days after. I wasn't real consistent but I had very little bruising at all, so I think it helped some.

I had my stage 2 exactly 8 weeks from stage 1, I was so ready to get it over with and be done with surgeries for a while! 

This last Thursday was 3 weeks from stage 2. My stomach has been hurting off and on lately, a pain here and there on my side, down in my lower belly, and all over. Not consistant but just here and there, gassy and burpy a lot too, not sure what's up? I feel really full too. I'm wearing my girdle/dom but waiting for the smaller size in the mail so wonder if that will help?

• just4ann
    edited December 2010

Tell the truth.  Is it really suppose to be this bad?  I have drains coming from my sides directly under my arms.  There is no position I can get it that is tolerable.  I feel like I am one giant bruise, although there is actually very little discoloration.  If pain truly is the price of beauty then I am going to be one hot mama!

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2010
    OK....only because you askedSmile.......I have never experienced childbirth or a root canal but post stage 2(for me) was pretty bad and my same week friend Melanie from this thread said it did compare to both childbirth and a root canal............but it gets BETTER!  Not trying to scare anyone....for many it's a cakewalk....but I had some serious contouring done...THANK you Dr. D!
  • plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2010

Take your pain meds scheduled for a few days not 'as needed'.  No need to be a hero.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited December 2010

Ann, sorry to hear you feel miserable right now:(   It's my turn in about 10 days so I'm trying to prepare myself. I am hoping for some serious contouring like plainjane!

• just4ann
    edited December 2010

No hero here.  I am on the meds exactly as prescribed.  The only way I am going to miss one is if my alarm fails to wake me.  I am suppose to be coming back to NOLA with my sister on Jan 2 for her surgery. Dr S is doing her bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. I am suppose to be the caregiver.  Is this realistic?  

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited December 2010

I cant seem to get rid of this infection in the belly button. I took the anitbiotics for 10 days and it cleared but as soon as I finished them it is back. Spoke with Laura and we are scheduling a 2B surgery. Just waiting to hear from the insurance. I have been very lucky there, only had 80 dollars totally for 3 surgeries. I hope I am as lucky for surgery 4. Minnesota I am catching up with in in regards to how many times you have gotten to sleep with Dr D. LOL

Nordy, any news from the insurance? It would be cool if we could go together. I was hoping to wait until the warmer NOLA weather but I cant stand the drainage from the belly button. It has gotten so I have to bandage it so it does not get on my clothes.

I hope everyone is enjoying the Christmas Season.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2010

Ann, yes the pain is so worth it!   I was one giant purple bruise after my first surgery with Dr. D---my daughter was with me and it scared her so much that she was unable to touch me to help me with the dom.   It's just a few short weeks though, and decreases day by day while the result improves steadily for many months!  You may still be fairly sore in three weeks, but I think you'll be getting around a lot better and could do light duty helping your sister.

Sally, I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a time getting the belly button to heal.  I had a seroma that drained for four months, and I remember what it was like to have a lingering icky complication that wouldn't go away.  How wonderful that you have had to pay so little for your surgeries!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2010

Hey there Sally! I have not heard back from insurance yet... still in waiting mode... I am sorry to hear about your belly button. I would love to go at the same time as you - and Sandy too! I should be hearing from them this week... fingers crossed. Hang in there!

Ann - you should feel significantly better in a couple weeks!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

I wonder the difference in bruising, guess it's just everyone's make up huh? I had hardly any, as well as hardly any pain. I did take the arnica (?) before and after so maybe that's why. Not complaining at all, but I remember thinking, did he not do that much lipo, is that why? LOL!!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010

Sally, dang that belly button!!! I hope he can fix it up this time. Did they put you back on anti-biotics in the mean time?? Or you just have to tough it out? (I hope not...)

How are you doing Ann???  How about you Jinger?? 

Here are the surgeries coming up this week!!

Dec 14 - Lciscarroll - Stage 1 PBMX, Dr. S & Dr. Lagarde, 12/2 - 22. NOLA

Dec 17 - fourboymom - stage 2, lipo, nipples, and right breast lift, Dr. S., NOLA, Fairway Hospital.

• melindastn
    edited December 2010

Ann,  Hope you will start to improve soon.  Are you still in New Orleans or have you made it back to TN?  Are you flying home?  I am curious how the airport security will be.  The last time I flew into Nashville Southwest was wonderful in getting me through the security checkpoint. 

Good luck to everyone this week.  My countdown is on.  I bought new house shoes today.  Stage 1 I did not take any with me so I wandered the halls in my socks.  Of course I could of cared less how I looked at that point.  I must admit I am getting nervous then I just remember how much I want this behind me.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

Has anyone had issues after surgery (stage 1 or any other) of cramping and soft stools? Not trying to be gross but I thought it was probably from the antibiotics, so I didn't worry too much about it. Well stage 2 was November 18th and it's still an issue, not bad but soft and sometimes my stomach cramps up too. I have no fever or any other symptom of a bug so not sure what's up?

• just4ann
    edited December 2010

Melinda I am still in NOLA but hope to be able to go home tomorrow.  But it's not looking that way.  My legs are swollen from the knees down to the toes.  My toes look like cocktail weiners.  I called and talked to Laura today who wanted to have me wear the TED hose.  But I couldn't get them to stay on. As soon as I let go of them they rolled down my leg.  I went to CVS and tried some knee brace supports.  but they rolled down as well. Ended up with some pantyhose and the compression Ace bandages,  They work as long as I am perfectly still. Laura said I couldn't be up walking anyway except to go to the bathroom.  If the swelling hasn't subsided by tomorrow then Laura said she my want me back in the hospital for a few days to get rid of the swelling,  We will have to see what tomorrow brings,   

My pain in not too bad.  I am just sore, And my husband is a hugger so I am having to constantly remind him everytime he gets near,  I hope to leave tomorrow for the ride home..  We will stop off in Memphis to spend the night with our daughter and then make the rest of the trip on Wednesday.  We will just have to see how it goes,  

Springtime, can you add my sister, Susie, to the schedule.  She will be having prophylatic bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction, on January 4th. 2011 with Dr S.  Thanks.

Good luck to those up next.  We are all getting there even if we are having to take baby steps, As long as we hold hands and count on each other for support we will be up and running before you know it.  

Thank you so much to each of you for being there.  I am truly blessed to have access to such a wonder group of women.  

--Ann  

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2010

May be from the antibiotics still. Have you tried some probiotics to restore the flora of your gut? Not just Activia or yogurt, but probiotic pills with acidophilus as well as others. If you getting cramping + frequnet diarrhea, get to a doctor. There's a lot of C. difficile going around--a horrible infectious diarrhea you get from atibiotics, even months after you've taken them.

Anne

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

Anne, I haven't tried anything, it's not bad cramping, just sometimes that feeling of ya gotta go now. I wouldn't know if I'd even classify it as diarrhea? Just super soft, sometimes it is though. I will try the acidophilus tomorrow and see if that helps. I've been kind of blah feeling the last week or so too. Wouldn't you know it, no insurance dang it !

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2010

Well I'm sitting here by the computer with my little space heater blowing full blast at my legs. It is freezing here! Like minus 7 or something ridiculous!

Sally - You just better not sleep more with Dr. D than me. I would have to be jealous! Seriously, so sorry you keep having all these infection issues. Geez!

Mamaluch - That's hilarious how you got your husband to agree to pull the drain and then did it yourself! All you gals pulling your own - Holtbolt, too. Tough gals! I don't know if I could do that. I always look the other way.

Ann - I love all your updates. Makes me feel like I'm there, too. I know it hasn't been pleasant - ups and downs - but still nice to imagine the scenes (okay, maybe I'm kind of nuts). Take full advantage of all the drugs. Foobs, too! Do not try to tough it out! Your swelling sounds terrible. I sure hope that subsides so you can go home. But if you have to stay some extra time, keep with the updates!

Journey - I love the colored underwear idea. I do think that wearing black underwear contributes to forgetting, now that you mention it.

Xfit - Sorry you're dealing with that infection!

Nordy - I had a dream along those lines once. And then I wrote kind of a dumb note to Dr. D on Ask the Doctor, thanking him for the breast, while I sat there at the computer crying.

Jane - yes, tonite I am taking notes! Other times, I scroll up over the page, but it doesn't work if I'm more than 1 page behind. Whenever I try to just remember, I always forget someone and then feel horrible.

Deja - Do you still have that 6-foot snowdrift in front of your window?

Sandy - Hope the vitamins help you. I was having that same thing where every time I stretched my feet, they cramped up and walking around hardly even helped. It was horrible.

Dragonfly - That acidopholous (sp?) helped me too.

• Minnesota
    edited December 2010

And then I forget, anyway! Jinger - glad the coaster danger is no more!

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010

I cannot believe I am flying out on Wednesday and actually finally having tage 2 done on Friday of this week.....OF THIS WEEK!  I'm 12 weeks out from Bilat SGAP with Dr. S.

Thank you ladies for making all of this so much less scary and for making me feel normal. Everyone here at home thinks I'm nuts for flying to NOLA to get this done. The crazy thing is that my Stage 1 experience was so great I'm kinda looking forward to returning to NOLA.Then I come to this board (or I just look in the mirror) and it confirms that I have made the best choice. I'm soooo glad for this thread and all of you! Plus you guys crack me up. The sexy crotchless DOM? My husband loved it too (me, not so much). Forgetting to pull down your black underwear to go pee... I thought I was the only one. Tamoxafin muscle cramps, check.

Is anyone interested in getting together Sunday (12/19) evening. Not sure how I will be feeling but with enough pain meds I think I'll be fine.

My prayer is for continued healing for everyone. I feel so greatful to have found you all and what a difference you have made for me.

I'm going to start taking the Arnica Montana on Wed. and as some of you suggested here to take a MILD stool softener the night before surgery. My last post surgery constipation was not fun. The good news is atleast my obsession with going poop distracted me from the pain.

• melindastn
    edited December 2010

Fourboymom,  I know just what you mean about people thinking your nuts for going so far away.  My husband keeps reminding me that I can cancel Stage 2 especially the week of Christmas.  I too am excited in a special way.  I look and feel my new breast and I am so thankful.  I can't wait to see the final results.  As the swelling from Stage 1 continues to go away I have some pretty strange indentations on my hips and sides.  I have to wear belts to keep my pants up all the time. 

Ann, did you take the Arnica montana?  I sure hope your swelling starts improving soon for you.  You are in my prayers today.  I am sure you know already but, enjoy the warm weather in NOLA.  We woke to about 12 degrees and 6 inches of snow here in NE Tennessee. 

Minnesota,  My sisters nickname for Dr. D is Dr. "Dammmmmm".  I mean this in a good way. lol!!  She hates that she is not getting to be my care giver this time.  She was smitten.

• melindastn
    edited December 2010

Fourboymom and Springtime,  I will be arriving Sunday morning.  We are staying at Hotel Monteleone the first night  then surgery Monday afternoon.  We will be at the Marriott on the river after surgery.  I plan on taking my daughter to Herbsaint restaurant Sunday night and do a lot of walking around the city on Sunday.  Would love to get to meet both of you. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

melinda, is that the Marriott on Canal street?

• Minnesota
    edited December 2010

Melinda - I LOVE it! Dr. Dammmmmmmmmm! And don't worry about those strange dents - he will fix them. I had that, too. I only had the SGAP on one side (stacked DIEP on the other), so I could really compare the one side to the "normal" side of my petite derriere. It is totally amazing how, but for the scar, you cannot tell the difference between them now. How did he do that? Boy, it's almost as cold in Tennessee as in Minnesota!

Fourboymom - I think it's our universal experience that everyone thinks we're nuts to go to New Orleans for this. But then after they see the results (if we allow them to be so lucky), then they get it. Good luck this week. I love the sexy crotchless doms so much that I am resisting throwing them away. I saved them after my first recon, tho never thought I'd need them again. Then when I did, I felt pretty smart I saved them. Okay, so I have TEN of them! How will I ever be able to part with them? I wish I could pass some on, or something, but probably no one wants used ones. And I know how expensive they are. I'll for sure save at least one for sentimental reasons! Maybe I could make a quilt!

Carol - Good luck this week!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited December 2010

Melindastn, fourboymom and springtime

I think I can get together Sun night if you all would like to do so. I am arriving in NOLA around 5 pm in Sun with my hubby and 2 kids and we are staying at the homewood suites. If we do get together I will probably leave my family back at hotel. Spring and fourboy--are you staying in or near the french quarter? Maybe we could meet for dessert or a drink or something since Melindastn has dinner plans??

Amy

• melindastn
    edited December 2010

Dragonfly, Yes, I will be at the Marriott on Canal. 

Amy, desert sounds wonderful to me since my surgery is in the afternoon I am going to eat all I want on Sunday.  I can't imagine how I will go that long with no food or water and especially coffee.  Hope they will hook me up to something early.   I tend to get grumpy without food.

I will PM Amy, Fourboymom and Springtime my cell phone number so we can get in touch with each other when we get there.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

That's where we stayed last month Melinda. It's an nice hotel, there's couple a great little places to eat within walking distance. Huck Finns and Cafe Fleur De Lis !

Have fun ladies, and good luck!!! 

• Nordy
    edited December 2010

The Palace Cafe is right by the Marriott too... and very good.

• Nordy
    edited December 2010

Sorry, can't write more now... got to get my girl on the bus!