Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2010

It's been over a year since you all joined my "family", and became my source of knowledge, understanding, and hope.  Thank you all so much for being here!  Good luck to those still coming.  Happy Holidays to everyone, and heres hoping for a Happy and HEALTHY new year for us all!!!

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2010

Really bummed I missed you guys. I was so excited I got to see AnneN (AKA rosy cheeks :) I really wanted to see more real people. But Anne atleast you helped me fill that real people void I was feeling.

Just4ann  you post alot of things I can relate too. And thanks for compression garment info.

Spring, Amy  and Melinda  You are all in my prayers. And take your pain meds as much and often as they will let you.

The nurses at Fairway (Julie, Karen and a third one....the Trifecta) were so funny I had to ask for more pain meds cuz they cracked me up so much. But the laughter always made me feel better. Tajha (sp?) Monica and another cute little girl (Nicole?) were also wonderful. And then those very hard working ladies that gave me my first post op shower were so kind and patient. It was also so nice to see the admission nurse Sandra who after a long day of work brought my husband dinner and who called us ON HER DAY OFF to see if he needed any more meals.

I am glad to be back home. We actually left straight for the airport from the hospital.  The stage 1 Sgap was less painful than this lippo/ tummy tuck /scar revision surgery. I'm cut 360' so that makes sense. Dr. Sullivan really did a great job. Truly artists. I'm so greatful for all of you.

All you ladies are in such good hands. My prayers for continued healing and peace to all of you during this holiday season.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2013

Up on the computer instead of sleeping the night before surgery, but as I think Minn says, I'll get plently of sleep tomorrow:)

It was great to meet Springtime her hubby and daughters and Melindastn and  her daughter the night before last. I got to see Melinda briefly this morning at the center when I had my pre-op appts and she was waiting for her surgery. Melinda, I hope all went smoothly and you are resting comfortably now. Beverly, hope your tatoos are painless. Fourboymom, sorry we missed you. I'm glad you are home safe and sound. Did you end up with the DIEP, or decide to leave things as they were?

I'm really glad my husband came along this time. Not just because it's comforting to have him here, but also so he could see first hand what a great place this is. He was so impressed by everyone we came in contact with at the center today and really gets what I have been raving about for all these months.

I am covered in blue marker! Here's what I'm having done: Breasts lifted and reduced. Revision/tweaking of  my original horizontal scars (plus I will have new scars --the sort of anchor shape that go under the breasts and vertically). Nipples, small dogs ears on abd incision fixed and LIPO LIPO LIPO.

Ann, thanks so much for that info on compression. I am expecting to hate that part as much as you do, but it helps to hear why it is so important.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2010

I am skimming through briefly as I am in the midst of a pile of Christmas cards which still have not been addressed or sent out! Amy and Spring - good luck with your procedures tomorrow - Amy - sweet dreams and Spring - hopefully it won't hurt too much! And to the ladies who have had surgery - so glad to hear you are doing well! 

I am off to finish Christmas stuff - is it really this week? Holy cow. I am not ready. My family will never get their presents in time... LOL... okay, they rarely do, but I was hoping to turn over a new leaf this year!

And on one more note... I am thinking if I do these revisions and hernia repair - I may run the Rock-n-Roll Marathon beforehand... LOL.. Because I am a glutton for punishment. This time I will have to make sure I drink, drink, drink because after the half last time, I didn't feel well for several days. And if I were to have surgery shortly after... hmmm... maybe I should reconsider... Oh well, I have to get insurance to cooperate on my side here first... or save a bunch of $$. 

Oh, and have I mentioned now that my older daughter had croup 2 weeks ago, and my husband and I were sick all last week, that my little one now has croup? Good times... LOL

Laurie: Tomorrow is day 7 of 42. Look, you are already 1/6 of the way there!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010

Nordy, another marathon! Half or whole?? Exercise is so good for us. Every research thing I read indicates the more you do, the better. So GO GIRL!! I am about to go exercise in the Homewood gym right after this post. This is the first time here I can use the work out facilities!

I saw Amy and her family in the breakfast/lobby, waiting for their driver! Sounds like they'll be busy in the hospital today! Apparently they told Amy there will be a lot of surgeries today. My driver comes at 10:45 for my 11 tattoos. I think I am more nervous for this than the surgeries because I'll be awake! ha!

Will stop by and try to see Melinda today after the tats, if she is still there...  If there is anybody from this list in St Charles Surgical Hospital, put your name on the door! I'm going to do the "rounds" today after my tattoo... !! Hope to see some of you then...

Fourboy, you are already home! Wow!!! heal heal heal!!! Sorry we missed you... 

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited December 2010

Good luck with the tatts Spring!

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2010

I am still alive.  Had my stomach palicated(?)  Lots of lippo.  It feels like I had Csection again.  I have walked down the hall twice..  My daughter saw Amy's family earlier.  Will post more later.

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2010

Melinda -- glad you are feeling well enough to post.  Take it easy and don't rush things.  

-- Ann 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2010

Yay! Melinda lives!

• fourboymom
    edited December 2010

I did not do a DIEP this round. Dr. Sullivan did fat injectons on both breasts and did a lift on my non radiated breast to even me out. I also had tummy tuck and ab plication these are painful but so managable with pain meds. He also revised my Sgap incisions. I don't know why I wanted more flaps. I think I was just panicked a bit the day before surgery. When my husband finally arrived that evening I calmed down and was able to relax and enjoy a nice evening out eating yummy seafood. I am sooo glad I did not do MORE flaps. Don't know what the heck I was thinking. But this is a good example of why to have your caregiver with you at pre op visits.

Nordy,  you really helped me to relax about the surgery by telling me I will be great. You have no idea how much it meant to me to read those words from someone who has already been through this.  I heard that Rock n Roll marathon is alot of fun. But there's always next year. How long between the marathon and your surgery date? I'm praying for insurance cooperation for you (and all others also).

Every day you will feel better. I am 6 days out and I feel much better than even 2 days ago. Hang in there Melinda and Amy, every day brings more healing.

Melinda   you went for 2 walks! That is fantastic!

Spring  How are the tatoos?

Gin  nice post:)

just4ann  That DOM is a love hate relationship. But the info you posted made me be quicker about getting it back on after my shower today.

xfitgirl   Is your butt behaving? Praying for no more seromas

Again, I thank God for all of you ladies.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010

Hi Ladies!

Glad to hear from you Fourboy. More flaps! LOL!!! Glad everything worked out! Just goes to show you how crazy our minds can be with near panic! I bet you are looking good and glad to have this behind you!

I saw Melinda yesterday in the hospital after my tattoos. She looked great, but I know the plication is a big deal!! Hang in there Melinda. It will be a while. My best advice: be patient! You will feel better, but it will take some time. :)  PM me if you want to talk about this at some point. I had plication too and at one point started thinking I would never be normal again! You will!!!

I also saw Amy's family while she was in recovery and not yet up in her room. He daughter was gong to stay the night with her! (Isn't that nice?) Her DH was very thankful that we have this site to support each other. Amy Amy Amy! Thinking of you! Hope you are okay!! Post if you can! 

OK, Words just now from my DH: "Finally finished, after trip 5". :)  YES I am DONE! (If anyone wants to know why I came here more than your stage 1, 2, and tats, let me know, but will skip this for now!) When you are a "NOLA Graduate" you get a silver butterfly pin with a lovely description that almost made me cry when I read it while waiting for lunch. It reminded me of the struggle of this process and the transformation. I am getting choked up again just thinking about it! I think when we accomplish big things, it is important to take a minute and consider all we've been through. I am more of a push ahead, what's the next thing, type person. But this silver butterfly has reminded me of the struggle. 

OKAY, on to the tattoos!! I met the infamous Donn (who is a sweetie) and got tattoos on both sides to ensure the best match possible. How much did it hurt? Not too bad. I think Minn had the perfect description. Most of the area has not too much sensation, and in those areas, it was just a funny sort of feeling, I think Jamie described it like an ache. Occasionally he would work in an area where I could really feel it, and then it was a real owie!! But he didn't stay in those areas long...Thank goodness! I am all covered in plastic right now and need to take the long hot shower to become "unpeeled" from the plastic! 

My DDs are feeling a bit under the weather, so we've been exploring a lot during the day and taking it easy at night. Today we're going to the New Orleans National Historical Park Visitor Center. There will be a Jazz pianist over lunch it says!  

Spring. 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited December 2010

Everything went well with my stage 2 and I am not feeling too bad. My only complaint is I have much more nauseated with this surgery--don't know why. I have only been able to see my breast so far, and they look really good! I'll take a peak at the rest when I take my shower shortly.

And can I just say I hate the "dom!" It is the veronique brand with zippers up the sides. Is this the one that everyone was recently  complaining is horrible and not as good as a different one? And marena is the brand that everyone likes right?  I think I will need to get one!

Melinda, in case you are reading the board today are you still in the hospital?

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2010

Hey, Springtime - What's this about a silver butterfly pin when you're done?! Must be new. I think I want one! 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited December 2010

Glad you are done and that the tatoo's didn't hurt too bad.  I didn't get a pin :(  I want a pin :)

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited December 2010

Spring.... congrats on tattoos... I'll be getting mine sometime next year!  Do you like yours?

To all of those who just had surgery ..... take care and I wish you easy recoveries....

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to each of you ladies.... what a year this has been!!  I am closing it out totally restored and ready to take on 2011 .... I feel so grateful for Dr. D, his staff, and you guys who plowed the way for me and helped me along the journey....  PEACE and thank you! Smile

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited December 2010

Amy, I have both brands of doms, and they are very similar.  I am short (5'3"), and found the Veronique brand to be shorter, too.  The other brand is a bit longer legged - just enough to rub and chafe just below my knee to the point of a blister.  it was ok, but I always had to tuck in a gauze pad on each side to soften the rough edge.  In the end, I found I wore the Veronique brand more simply because it fit me better.  The newer brand is a bit softer, has more padding around the zipper, but is very similar.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited December 2010

I'm curious about this pin as well, sounds like a great idea! :)

• fourboymom
    edited December 2010

The DOM is painful but it is much more painful to not wear it. The nurses told me other patients bought spanx and then just cut the crotch out.

I am currently wearing the DOM and TED hose (having calf/ankle swelling) with a pair of running tights on top of it all. As horrible as that sounds, being packed in so tightly seems to help with lippo/ab plication pain.

I'm wearing nipple shields, a mans size large t-shirt and no bra up top (a loose fitting zip up track jacket also cuz baby it's cold outside:)

You will find what works and is most comfortable for you. But after reading just4ann's compression post I will be wearing compression garments for a long time.

Weather permitting I will try to go for a walk outside tomorrow. If there is even a speck of ice I will head off to an indoor track. 

Continued healing prayers to all

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited December 2010

Holtbolt, merry Christmas to you too!  So glad we are both restored and facing 2011 with a new 'look'!  Thanks for all of your help, support and friendship over the last year. 

Best wishes and merry Christmas to all of the ladies here!  This thread has been such an amazing support.  We are all very blessed to have been NOLA patients and for that I am very thankful!

Happy 2011!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited December 2010

Merry Christmas to all of you!

I think they must give out the Butterfly after Tattoos are done.  I got mine in the mail about 2 weeks after I got them.

I did not mind the old Dom outfit. Although it was worse after stage 2B- when I had alot more pain.  But the new one was too painful on my Thighs.

For Stage 2 I wore the dom for 2+ weeks- then switched to spanx for another 6 weeks.  for 2B I wore the dom for 4 weeks & nothing after that.  I do think that could be why my Pain is lingering so long from this last surgery- which was 7 weeks ago.  It still hurts alot to sit on the toilet! :o

• holtbolt
    edited December 2010
    Right back at 'cha HelloFromCT  ... I feel very lucky our stars aligned for Stage 1 ..... Smile
  • Nordy
    edited December 2010

Less than 48 hours until Christmas! So Merry Christmas to everyone!

Fourboy - you are welcome! And see, you ARE great! 

I am exhausted. I have been working on a project of Christmas presents... which will never be done in time for Christmas - but doesn't really matter because they are countdown to Christmas things - but still they were gifts for this year to be used next year... does that make sense? Between my daughter being up every night for the past 3 nights with croup and working NONSTOP on this project - my house looks like a tornado hit it and I still have things I need to do for Christmas! Like mail out Christmas cards! And having said that - I am off to work on SOMETHING. Either the cards or the project... either way, it will all be late!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited December 2010

Okay I noticed over the last few days that my breast near the inner left side (think clevage area) is hurting.  Well last night I found a possible lump (not well defined) and can only be felt a certain way and now I am worried.  I say a possible lump because I have spots that I can feel the fat and fat deposits on my breast and now I am having a replay of 2 years ago....grrr....It's on the opposite breast that my tumor was located. 

So my question is does anyone else have something that feels like areas of fat ??  I am just scared.....

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2010

I am home and doing pretty good so far.  Standing up straight is a challenge at times and I have some definite swelling going on.  He definitely improved my strange looking nipples from the implant surgeries.  He redid all my incisions and made them really tight and neat.  Stayed in the hospital 2 nights since my surgery went so long I was just not ready to leave the next day.  Had a wonderful last evening in New Orleans with my daughter. 

I really enjoyed meeting Amy and Beverly and their families.    All of you on this thread have been so wonderful and encouraging to me.  I just could not have gone through this without your support.  I felt so alone for these 21/2 years and then I found you.  Thank you all so very much and I wish each and everyone a wonderful Christmas and a very happy New Year.  We have so much to be thankful for.

Much love to you all,

Melinda

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2010

Just checking in with everyone.  I am two weeks out from my Stage 2 as of today.  Gosh, it seems like longer than that!  All in all I can't complain.  My incisions have healed nicely.  The ones on my breasts where Dr S removed the flaps are almost invisible!  How does he do that?? The one on my tummy doesn't look too bad either but I am truly shocked by the ones on my breasts.  The soreness is all but gone.  I have itchy spots where the lipo stitches are healing and I get little fluttery feelings in my lower tummy where I am having muscle spasms.  I am still sleeping in my night sleeve for my lymphedema in my left arm but it is doing much better.  Now if I could ever find something to get this hair to grow!!!  I am 11 months out since my last chemo and it looks absolutely horrible.  So thin and baby fine.  Still lots of scalp showing.  I could just cry but know that won't help (already tried and failed).

I finally broke down and went for my liver biopsy yesterday.  I have been putting it off since October.  Partly because I am sick of being "doctored on" and partly because i don't want to know if there is bad news.  Silly, I know but I also know lots of you can relate.  But I found out there is a connection between the liver and problems regrowing hair after chemo.  And I am beyond sick of not having hair, so I gave in.  I won't get any results until next week because my doctor is out for the holidays.  Just as well.  I didn't really want to know until after the holidays anyway.    

Here's wishing everyone a very safe and happy holiday.  May next year be the best year of our lives and all that is behind us become proud memories of the strength we have found within.   God has blessed us each with one another and for that I am forever thankful.  Take care of yourself.  

-- Ann 

• holtbolt
    edited August 2013
    Jamieh - I have two small kind of pea size things I can feel in the same area (inner right breast).  I found them by feeling around before Stage 2B.. they are still there.  This week I had an oncologist followup and I showed her... she felt them and said they are not concerning, she thinks it is fatty tissue.  I also mentioned them to Jeanine on the phone.  She said the same, could be a little fat necrosis or where Dr. D did a suture or something... so for now I'm not going to worry about it.  These breasts of ours change so much over time... things soften up and change so much.... the problem is .....those of us who have had breast cancer go right back there mentally when we feel anything suspicious...... but it's mostly likely something harmless.... sorry you are worried...  maybe you could have your local doc check it out for peace of mind..... 
  • fourboymom
    edited December 2010

Jaimieh      I had quite a few "lumps" going on. They were fat necrosis and Dr. Sullivan took care of them last week. But I can always still find something. My oncologist (who I love) told me to get any concern checked out. So you catch it if it comes back, I asked her.  She says to me ,"No, your fine physically. I'm more concerned about you sitting around worrying about it." Then she points her thumb at the door and says,"Now get out of here."

Just get it checked so that you can breath easy again. And yes I have a quite a few areas that feel like globular fat (or something), but I also don't think you can get butt fat (or abdominal fat) cancer in your boobs. That's what I'm going with anyway :) I have a re-check visit with my oncologist in January. I always make her feel me up even when I didn't have a breast.

It's so hard not to worry. Hugs to you. Just schedule an appt. to get it checked out so you can enjoy the holiday and know that you are fine. Prayers for peace to you and continued healing to everyone 

just4ann    Didn't you see Dr. Sullivans magic wand? I have no clue how these surgeons do what they do with such beautiful results. They are all artists. I guess that's why we all traveled far and wide to see them. So worth it. Prayers for good test results for you.

Melindastn  Glad you are home. Take care of yourself and so glad you are happy with your results so far. It will only get better.

• Nordy
    edited December 2010

Jaimie - I have areas there that hurt sometimes as well. Have you been lifting anything more than normal? Using your pecs more than normal? Stretching that area more than normal? I actually had a bone scan a couple months ago because my sternum was giving me such grief. But I had done some pilates or yoga that really overstretched the pecs and it took the pain forever to resolve. I am not saying don't get it checked out because I always think better to be proactive and have it be nothing - but there are other reasons for pain. Talk to your doctor and get an ultrasound - quick, easy and painless - and it will give you peace of mind. Hang in there.

Ann - I hope all comes out okay with your liver biopsy! Will be thinking of you and sending prayers along with positive thoughts your way. My hair dresser just gave me some shampoo and conditioner (okay, maybe I should restate that - she recommended it because I certainly had to buy it!) that is supposed to help thicken hair and make it grow faster. It is called Nioxin. I haven't tried it yet - but I am trying to grow my hair out and she said it works great. She said she also recommended it to one of her friends whose hair is just starting to grow back after chemo. SO, hopefully everything will be benign next week and this may help be a solution for the hair! 

• Nordy
    edited December 2010

Oh, and one more thing. My husband is so funny. I have been wanting a dog. I have been begging for a dog. I have been threatening for a dog. I have been majorly sucking up for a dog. My husband wants no part of that. He has also in the past been totally against adoption since we can't have anymore kids. Well - I jokingly said, "It's either a kid or a dog," to which he said, "Let's look into adoption." LOL... but he wants an infant and I already have my baby... so we will look into foster adoption... and all the issues that come with it. Who knows, but the time that happens, maybe he will want the dog. LOL

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2010

Hello Everyone,

I have been off the computer for some time. So many messages to catch up on.  Thank you everyone for your wonderful support through this surgery.  There is a couple things I need to get out there to all the people approaching surgery or recovering-

DRINK LOTS OF WATER

EAT NUTRITIOUSLY (even when you are not hungry)

TAKE BABY STEPS

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY

DO NOT OVER DO IT

I am extremely elated over my surgery results.  I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.  This is one happy camper.  My recovery was going extremely well I felt like I was superwoman.  Then BAM...

I GOT HIT WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER.  Out of the blue and very sudden I went into rapid decline.  Just took a shower and got out then the room started spinning, my peripheral vision was reduced, my heart started beating very rapidly, I got chills, nausea.  I knew I was going to pass out.  Called my sister in the other room and told her to lay me on the floor with my legs elevated and put a blanket on me.  We called the doctor while I was on the floor.  He thought I was dehydrated from being active for the entire day.  So, I drank lots of water and ate a banana for potassium.  Layed on floor for an hour and gradually crawled back on the bed.  It took many hours for my heart rate to go down.  As I lay there that night I was thinking that I needed to somehow get strength back to get on the plane to come home the next day (long trip from New Orleans to Seattle).  Then in the middle of the night I asked my sister to go down to the lobby and grab three ensure drinks.  Ensure has all the nutrients your body needs.  I forced it all down and continued with the water.  My body came back very slowly.

Fortunately, I made it home with the help of wheel chair assistance at the airport.  Please everyone monitor your needs continually throughout the day after surgery.  Every day prior to the shower day, I did very good watching water intake, nutritious needs etc.  It was just this one day when I was having too much fun shopping in the French Quarters of New Orleans that I was not paying attention.

Please all my sisters out there- PAY ATTENTION- EVERY DAY- even when you think you are doing great in your recovery.

Oh my goodness I am exhausted again.  Think I will drink lots of water and shut my eyes for a few minutes.

Laurie from Seattle signing off.

Talk again soon,

Laurie