Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2010

One other thing-

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE EVERYONE.  Laughing

Laurie

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2010

Laurie, that's great advice. Sometimes the adrenaline gets going after surgery because we're so happy we made it through. ANd there's still some anesthesia effect--we may not notice what our bodies really need.

Way too easy to "over-do" if you're not having pain issues. And, unfortunately, it can catch up with you and slam you down hard!

Glad you made it through!

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all!

Anne

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2010

Merry Chrstmas and Happy Holidays to all! I with you all a very blessed, HEALTHY, and HAPPY New Year-look out 2011, here we come!

Thank you to my NOLA sisters to always being there for me!!! 

I just had my knee surgery Tues., doing well, but I am looking to feeling whole again!!!

Nordy- I'm glad for your news. Good luck with your insurance battle !

On another note, how different surgery is in NJ?NY metro area and how well our docs took care of us- after they administered my IV hook-up in pre-surgery room for knee surgery, they had me walk to surgery room where I could feel Doctor staring at me until I went under, almost like he had procedure timed perfectly and he could get that scapel in as quick as possible so he could squeeze another surgery in.They even had me pull myself onto table after I just filled out paperwork stating I recently had mastectomy and breast reconstruction. The nurse tells me to just stand on the metal leg of table that was under table(no bench)-sounds safe. Crazy- you can't make this stuff up. We have been spoiled- it's called Quality of Care!!!!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited August 2013

Yes, Merry Christmas to all!  We woke up this morning to clear skies and sunshine, and a stunning view of heavily snow-capped mountains.  After the torrential rains of the past week, what a relief!  There were massive power outages and we heard that our city was the hardest hit of all.  Our home didn't lose power, but my daughter's apartment did.  Thankfully, she didn't lose any of her food, as she's a college student on a tight budget and had just gone grocery shopping.

Laurie, I'm so glad you are okay, and thanks for sharing your experience. 

Ann, what you posted was written so beautifully.  I do feel incredibly blessed and although I would not have chosen to have breast cancer, my life has been enriched by the journey and I don't regret it.  It's been so amazing to have met many of you and to have sisters all over the country.  The friendship and support carry us through and I'm thankful that we have this forum where we can share our thoughts and feelings, through good times and bad.  To know that we have sisters who will pray for us and give us their words of wisdom from near and far is of great comfort.

We found out that the owner of the building we have leased is the VP of Specialized Bicycles and we'll meet him next week.  It will be a bit too late to drop a hint that a bicycle would be a great Christmas gift, but maybe he'll give us a break on buying a pair of bikes.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas celebration.  I need to sign off and get ready for dinner here at our house tomorrow.   Jaimie, Ann and Cindy, you'll be in my prayers over the holiday, that everything is just fine.  Nordy, you'd better take a few moments to breathe deeply and relax! I hope you are feeling better.  I have not sent Christmas cards for the last three years and while I wanted to, I'm doing as much as I can do and that has to be enough.  However, I need to run out and go pick up a ham, so Christmas wishes to ALL of you and steady healing from our surgeries with the best breast recon docs in the world!

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2010

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF MY NOLA SISTERS!!!

I feel so blessed to be a part of such a wonderful group of women. Wishing all of you that just had surgery a speedy recovery and Congrats to those of you who are now DONE!

I'm 9 weeks out of stage 1 and doing well other than a couple of seromas on my butt cheeks. One is more like a bathtub but drain it will eventually.... I have aspirations scheduled once a week which is inconvenient more than anything but all for the good. Stage 2 is Jan 27th and I'm now really looking forward to it :)

Wishing all of you a happy, HEALTHY 2011! xox.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010

We drove all the way home from NOLA to Raleigh NC (16 or 17 hours? I lost count, got really crabby because my tattoos hurt, then my back hurt! Then I fell asleep, and then we were home!) GLAD TO BE HOME though I would have appreciated splitting that into 2 days (DH was on a mission to get home!). Although we walked everywhere, I think I gained like 7 pounds!!! Back to the sensible diet and exercise plan!!!

So yes! There is a butterfly pin you apparently get when you are a "NOLA graduate" (this is after tattoos). I will type in the little card text next time. It made me tear up. You will see what I mean! Promise, next time!

Good God Nordy! A baby or a dog!!! You crack me up girl!! Well, either or both will be lucky to be in your wonderful family! :) Christmas is tomorrow!!! The panic of presents will be over!!! :)

Ann, I am glad you did the liver thing. You hang in there, you did the right thing. But I know what you mean. Whenever I feel something, I'm like, UGH puuuuleeze, can this just stop already. Every little thing now makes me wonder. I have found that saying it out loud to someone helps take the power it has over my mind away a bit. But you let us know what you find out and we are hoping only the best for you...

Jamie, I had a lump appear after stage 2 on the inner cleavage side, near the very edge of the flap. It was fat necrosis. They can easily tell with ultrasound! Not scary, no radiation. Get it checked out so you can rest easy. Mine was also on the prophylactic side, so nobody was concerned. I was, but then, I was not. after the imaging. Dr. D blasted away at it in my recent 2B surgery, I had another ultrasound, it was smaller, and they "released me" from tracking it! Yay! Done! There is still a remnant of a lump, but nobody is concerned any longer, and it does not bother me at all.

Melinda, I am glad you found us too! It was very nice to meet you. Amy -- how are you doing? Check in - hopefully the nausea has long passed at this point!  I thought it was so nice that your daughter stayed in the hospital with you! :) You both have lovely daughters. Actually, we all do ! ha! Amy, you have the "old" DOM, and yes, I hated it too! Do you have any drains? If no, you can get yourself into a Marena with no zippers. It is SO worth the $$, it is SO much more comfortable! Marenagroup.com! They ship really fast.

Liz!!! Glad you are okay, smart to be scheduling the weekly ASSpirations!!! Soon this too will be behind you!

Everybody else, MERRY CHRISTMAS!! (or happy holidays!) You ladies make this board, and meeting Melinda and Amy has reminded me how helpful this community is to each other, and how important it is to be part of a group to help you so you are not all alone. We have helped many women, and I thank all of you who hang around here even though you are done! God Bless!

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited December 2010

Ladies - Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas~and the happiest (and healthiest) of New Years !

My thanks to all of you who helped me through my recon journey - I could not have done it without you! January 27th will be my one year anniversary and "the twins" are fabulous! So, so worth it!

A SPECIAL THANKS TO SPRINGTIME (BEVERLY) - for starting, and keeping up on this thread! You are an angel!!

xoxo

LouAnn

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2010

6 weeks since stage 2, The seroma that I developed under my rib cage after Stage 1 is back and I have to have it aspirated next week. I followed the directions from the center and wore the dom for 1 week after the last drain was pulled and as soon as I stopped wearing it, the seroma came back. So I am back to wearing the DOM, I fold the waist band down and it helps keep my upper abdomen compressed. I have tried other compression garments but they roll down at the waist. Do any of you have suggestions on another type of garment to purchase.

How long after the lipo did you all wear the compression garment. I really like the shape of my body after I wear the DOM all day. And if I don't wear it, I just feel like a pillsbury dough boy,

Merry Christmas All !

• lciscarroll
    edited December 2010

Merry Christmas to all of my sisters out there.  You are all so wonderful. Couldn't have done this surgery without you.  

Eleven days post surgery.  Took off that silly compression garment I was given at NOLA.  It was way too tight and it pressed too hard where my drains came out.  Went to Macy's and found a compression garment to wear that is not quite so tight.  It looks like the shape of a head band.  It is about 1 1/2 feet wide.  There is no place to put my legs in.  Just a big band or extremely short skirt that is seamless.  Does that make sense?  Anyway, I can eat, sleep better now.  Much more manageable.  Easier to put on after cleaning wound areas and reapplying bandages.  

Nordy- whats with the dog?  I have three Shitzu's (not sure how to spell it).  These dogs were given to my kids during a weak moment of mine.  Two Christmas's ago I put a dog in each kids bed before they woke up.  We have had so much fun with them since.

Robin and Anne it was such a pleasure to see and visit with you in the hospital.  Anne, I would like to know how you kept your hair looking so nice through the whole ordeal.  You didn't even look like you had surgery.

Springtime- Thank you for keeping us updated on this forum.  Always look forward to hearing from you.

Talk to you all soon,

Laurie     

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited December 2010

I have been so busy with school finals and getting ready to start my hospital rotations that I haven't been able to keep up here. I have missed you guys and wish everyone the best results no matter what the stage. Most of all, I wish you all continuing health.

Marcia directing me to this website and NOLA has been those most amazing gift since my children. Thank goodness for this thread and what we have all shared. 

Merry Christmas and the best of the Holidays to everyone!

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited December 2010

Greetings

Next week will be one year from the date of my surgery. In spite of months of yoga, pilates, PT etc. I still have a feeling of heaviness in one leg that is both tiring and takes all the joy out of walking. I have not gotten much support or interest in this by the medical community, who seem to care only abut pain. If it can't be measured in pain, the problem doesn't exist. A chiropractor who examined the area said there was a great deal of scar tissue that might be the problem. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do about it? Please get back to me by PM or via email Thanks, and happy holidays.

reagrds

margit

movesolver@aol.com

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2010

Merry Christmas everyone!!! I want to write more, but I am still in my pj's... lol. Going to go take my sorry self to the shower!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited December 2010

Lynn, did you read my mind??? :) I had my stage 2, and lipo on November 18th so I'm just about 5 weeks out. I still wear my DOM, I love it and had Stacy send me a smaller size. It's still rolling down in the back but when I don't wear it my stomach feels tight but looks pudgy. So I go off and on with wearing it. I think it's super comfy so I don't mind at all. I wish I could find something to downgrade from the DOM to though. I tried a cami thing from Target, but it hit right at my hip/ab incision and was tight and rolled up so it wasn't comfortable at all. I just have been putting it off to avoid having to spend a fortune on something.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas! I've been battling this cold/cough for 2 weeks now. For the most part the stuffed up head is gone but the cough is hanging on, yuck!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited December 2010

Despite a house full of family, we had a very bittersweet Christmas.  It's not often that a wizard of a mechanic is the most honest guy around, with prices well below the going rate, but that was Joe Gosinski, owner of Chicane Motor Tuning in Torrance.  Joe was a celebrity in the world of Mustangs, and a good friend to my sons, one of whom was just gifted with some aftermarket accessories and a Chicane racing decal at the top of his windshield.  

Each Christmas, our Mustang club holds a huge toy drive and delivers the toys to the kids at the county hospital near us, dressing up in Santa costumes.  On Thursday, my older son and I loaded up my car with angel bears, pillow pals and other gifts for kids that we had sitting in our warehouse, then headed to Target and bought about 30 more toys.  Joe's shop was a designated drop-off point for toys, so we called to make sure he'd be there, and then headed to drop off our donations.   Joe was having a busy day but when I walked up to introduce myself, he said he knew who I was from Facebook and took the time to chat with me and my son for 20 minutes or so.  We put the toys in his office and he showed us a few innovations he was working on, one of which was a special bracket for Mustangs so we could comply with the law and mount a front license plate without drilling holes in the bumper, a big no-no for show cars.  I was impressed with Joe's willingness to shoot the breeze with us despite his hectic schedule---I could see that he was a genuinely nice guy.  We left his shop at about 6 p.m.

On Christmas Eve, we learned that Joe had been murdered the previous night and that we were possibly the last people to see him alive, so we were interviewed by detectives.   They were very interested in the cars that had been at Joe's shop when we were there, most notably a couple of highly customized Shelbys and a '67 Mustang.  We were not given any information, but suspect that one or more of the cars were stolen and that was why Joe was bludgeoned to death.  Of course we are all in shock, and I think it's partly because no one we've known has ever been murdered before. To have it happen to such a beloved guy just makes it all the more difficult to accept.  The toys we dropped off are now locked up as part of a crime scene.  I have been affected by this far more than I would have anticipated...I guess due to the fact that we were right there with Joe just before this happened, and because my young sons have lost a good friend to such a horrific crime and I feel so sad for the effect this must be having on them. All we can do now is pray that they find the creep who did this and lock him up for life.

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2010

Wow Sandy! I'm so sorry this experience happened to you and your family. Life has a way of dealing us blows that we just cannot understand. So sorry for Joe's family too. What a tragic Christmas experience for them.

I know that you will all support each other and help each other heal from this terrible experience. I hope they catch the coward murderer or murderers responsible for this soon so that some sort of closure can be brought to all.

Take care and stay strong xox. 

• Nordy
    edited December 2010

Sandy.  I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I am so sorry for you boys and I am so sorry for Joe's family. What a horrible act of selfishness on the part of the murderer. Yes, I hope they catch the person/persons that did this. And I hope the punishment will fit the crime. Sometimes I think our justice system is just way to lenient. Anyway - hugs are being sent out to you and thoughts & prayers to your family and his. I am so very sorry Sandy. This is aweful.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited December 2010

((((Sandy))))  I'm so so sorry.  But unfortunately can commisserate.  One of my husband's best friends from years ago and her daughter were murdered yesterday.  They were shot and killed by her ex boyfriend who was high on meth.  This girl had finally gotten her life together after a life long struggle with addiction.  She had reported his threats to the police department and they didn't take it seriously.  Now two innocent people are dead.   Thank goodness he is in custody. 

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2010

Six days out from Stage 2 and just wanted to let everyone know that I am doing really well.  I am down to one drain.  Yeah!!  I was really dissapointed when I woke up to four and one pain ball this time.  This really has been easier this time round than I was prepared for.  I am still very sore in the abdomen area and quite swollen.  Can't really stand straight without my support garment on but hopefully this will change next week.

My sweet daughter left today to go back to Knoxville.  She went with me to NOLA as my caregiver this time.  We had such a wonderful time just being together.  She commented as she was leaving that she would love to go back sometime.  She said how awsome is a city that you go under these circumstances and still have a great time. 

Looking forward to 2011 and no surgery!!!(I hope)...

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2010

((((((((((Sandy))))))))))) it is a horrible thing to go thru!  My father was murdered when I was 19 by two men and a woman that had robbed a service station, and flagged him down for help when their car broke down.  The two men had also killed another man the week before, and were only caught due to my dad.  It never gets easier to think of it, even after all these years.  We have had to go to parole hearings for about the past 20 years or so every few years to keep them in prison, so you never ever really get closure, as you have to relive it each time you go.  You don't really want to get me started on the justice system. :-)  All you can do is try to remember the good times and hold on to those happier feelings.....  everyone have a safe new years!

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2010

Sandy, I couldn't even come close to knowing anything to say other than I am so sorry.  That is absolutely heartbreaking.  I hate to hear anything like that most certainly around the holidays.  It casts such a terrible shadow on a family for years on end. My heart goes out to you and your family as well as all of Joe's family.  

-- Ann 

• Nordy
    edited December 2010

Trishia! (and hubby!) Gin! Sandy! My heart breaks for all four of you right now. Hugs all around.

• lciscarroll
    edited December 2010

So sorry you had to go through that experience.  Let me give you a hug.

Laurie

• SandyinSoCal
    edited December 2010

Thanks for the loving words, ladies.  I'm beat and cannot stop thinking about Joe and his family and his girlfriend. I guess his dad and brother are flying in from back East, and will transport his body home for burial.  There is talk of all of us following the hearse in our Mustangs down to LAX.   Trishia and Ginnie, I'm sorry that you have reason to understand.  Sometimes this world seems as cold as ice.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010

Sandy, and Trisha and Gin, so sorry about all this.... Sandy, sorry this has shaken you up... but totally understandable.

Melinda, your daughter was lovely! Doesn't it make you feel you must have done something right when they turn out so well? :)  Glad you are feeling better...

OK so here's my story of Tattoo healing. It's sort of like lipo but a lot less painful! ha! The first 3-4 days are the worst. I had tattoos on Tuesday, and that day they were covered in plastic, so could still wear a bra. Next day you shower and can't wear anything, air air air!! Didn't wear a bra for Weds Thurs Fri and Sat. Was a bit annoying and sore. Sunday woke up and one side had started peeling, and they seemed healed - not oozing. Wore a bra and all is good again! The RADs side still peeling a bit, the non rads side perfectly fine. Putting on the ointment as Donn said! 

We had 6 inches of snow! Very pretty, posted pics on FB! Enjoy all.

Hang in there Sandy. Thinking of you... 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

I was looking tonight at the Miche bags online, and saw this shell. How cool!

http://www.michebag.com/product/shells/hope-classic-silver#hope-classic-silver 

• SandyinSoCal
    edited December 2010

Thank you Spring.   My sons are both dealing with it in slightly different ways, and it was on CBS news again tonight.  They have not found the murderer(s) yet.

My aunt lives in Asheville and said there was a blizzard today.  Your photos are so beautiful.  California has a wonderful snowpack already this year, which will really help our drought conditions.  I think I heard that Mammoth Mountain has more snow than any other mountain in the world right now, which is pretty amazing.

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2010

(((((((((((Ladies))))))))) didn;t mean to add to everyone being bummed....  In my case, it has been many, many, MANY years ago. (which also depresses me, lol).  I just wanted to mention it to show you DO survive things like that, just like we survive the Big "C"   It just reminds us that there is nothing fair about life, so we have to work very hard at enjoying what we do have, while we do have it!  Just know that it does take a long time to come to terms with it, but prayers and people you love get you through it.  Hope everyone is doing well!

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2010

Spring, please add me to the list for January 5th at St Charles.  Dr. Sullivan will be making the right breast just a little smaller to match the left and then he will be doing nipples.  I guess it is Stage 2B.  

Celeste said they have everything arranged so I can be available while my sister, Susie, has her surgery on the 4th.  Then the next day I will go in and have my work done and then will be able to come right back to be with Susie.  I think that is just awesome that they are being so accommodating for us.  I am so grateful!

Hope everyone is healing nicely.  I have good days and not so good days.  Just can't seem to get my strength back like before.  I probably expect too much from myself. But will this bruised feeling ever go away?  Especially on the upper part of my abdomen.  It is so tender I can't hardly stand it.  Of course, it may be from the liver biopsy instead of the lipo.  Who knows??

And another problem I am having to deal with --- my pants keep falling down :c)  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited December 2010

Just4ann, I can relate to the pants. I try to wear jeans and they just fit funny and keep slipping down. Not that they are all too big but just fit different now.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2010

I thought I'd pop on here quick before going to bed (getting up verrrry early to take daughter to airport). I haven't been on in days. My gosh! So much to digest - good and bad.

Ann - I'm glad you're getting your liver checked out, so sorry you're having to deal with this and I pray all will turn out well.

Jamieh - I'm glad you got lots of empathy from the other gals who have dealt with weird lumps - hope yours turn out to be nothing, as well. I'm just sure they will.

Melinda - So glad you found this thread, too. It's been such a source of so much for all of us. Hard to imagine going thru everything we have, without each other!

Nordy - OMG! Adopting a dog or a baby?! LOL! BTW, I think you should have the ultimate say in this and get whatever it is your heart desires!

Laurie - Thanks so much for passing on for everyone your experience and advice regarding not overdoing it after surgery. I might be a poster child for that...

Liz - Weekly assssspiration? Oh, such a thing to look forward to! I think you need to find something to reward yourself with after every session.

LouAnn - Hey! Hi!

Sueinfla - You're an awesome chickie!

Sandy - I'm so sorry this has happened! How horrible for you and your family - and for this poor man and his family. What a terrible dark cloud to hang over your holidays. I hope you were able to appreciate, all the more, the time we have with our families, despite the bad things going on in the world all around us. And Trishia. And Ginny. My God - such unbelievable violence and so much unfairness.

I hope everyone had wonderful moments with their friends and/or families over the holidays. I feel so connected to everyone on this thread. All the trials we've gone thru this past year. The challenges yet to come. And all the relief, the happiness, the laughs, and most of all - the healing we've shared in the process. I have to believe that the support we've all given and received here has helped all of us more than we'll ever know. Here's to 2011!