Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited February 2011

My hip ones stuck around forever, one never did get below 40cc's! It's such a great feeling taking the drains out. I don't know what a seroma feels like, or if you can see it on the outside?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2011

BDavis, what college did you go to in NOLA??

Kathryn YAY YAY YAY!! When that last one comes out ... FREEDOM!! Nothing like your fist shower WITHOUT drains!!! Heaven!!

I never had a seroma, so I can't advise. Liz did.... Hopefully somebody will stop by who can advise... 

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited February 2011

KATHRYN!!! Yes I (Liz) did have two seromas alias "bathtubs in my butt cheeks" .They don't hurt but weekly ass-pirations get old after a while not to mention the cost of them.

My hip drains were pulled at 6 and 7 weeks after stage 1. They were both removed at close to 20cc's but I still got seromas. Everyone is different and us seroma girls seem to be a minority but you would still be wise to keep that drain in until it puts out less than 20cc's for at least two days.

About a week after I pulled my first drain my butt incision started to look a pinkish color. It got darker and was reddish when NOLA told me to go and get an ultrasound. It showed a large seroma which I had to get aspirated ASAP as it was putting pressure on my incision and could open it up. Not good! The second drain came out and as I was going to get aspirated once a week anyway, they did an ultrasound on the other butt cheek too. It also showed a seroma so both cheeks had to be aspirated. Each seroma started at 100cc's and slowly got down to 20cc's with weekly aspirations. 

When I went back for stage 2 Dr D. filled in the "shark bites" and solved the seroma problem. I now have one drain left from stage 2 and I am taking my time in pulling it out. 

Hope your drain dries up soon and that you become drain and seroma free!!! 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2011

Oh boy, did I have seromas. Mine were uncomfortable and would move like a waterbed when I pushed on them. I honestly think that those of us that have or are prone to lymphedema develop seromas more than others. We just have a harder time taking up fluid and eliminating it. Compression certainly helps decrease the risk, but sometimes it just can't be avoided. It's all part of the healing process!

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited February 2011

Nordy, I agree. But I actually think that seromas ( in certain places) predispose to LE. There is a researcher at NYU who I spoke with a few months ago, who told me that her thinking is that lingering fluid is the most important factor in developing LE -- that it is almost predictive.(Don't think this applies to tush seromas Surprised),

but rather in regards to breast/chest/ axillary surgery and subsequent upper extremity LE. 

It certainly was true in my case. After my lumpectomy I got a small seroma. After BMX I needed my drains for 3 weeks, which is pretty unusually long. After my xchange to implants my PS did not put in any drains, just cause he "never does", even tho it seemed to me that my history suggested I might need them. I had a lot of pain and inflammation post op, then scar tissue, and, voila...LE. Grrrrr

• tracee
    tracee Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2011

Kathryn- I'm excited for you.  My drains are slowing significantly, so I'm hoping to get them out soon.  

I developed a fever night before last which has continued despite Tylenol around the clock.  My flap is looking pretty infected at this point and I have had a lot more pain in that breast.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to wait until 3/1 as scheduled with Dr. Massey here in Utah.  AnneW, I think that means I'm going to miss you while your here.  I'll be flying back to NOLA this evening and I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning to clean up this flap.  Hopefully, they will be able to salvage a good portion of it and supplement with some tummy flaps.  Xfitgirl- I didn't really have the opportunity to take your advice about gaining some weight, so I hope they're going to find what they need tomorrow.  On a positive note, it's better to get this out of the way this week rather than have to come back in May prolonging my recovery even further.  I still have 2 weeks of my planned 6 weeks off after the gap flaps.  I'm going to take an additional 4 weeks off, but I'm hoping that I have a big bounce back into health after losing the bad part of the flap.  

• Nordy
    edited February 2011

Oh Tracee :(  Thoughts & prayers to you. I hope it all goes well.

Jerusha - I have seen that study, but I was also talking to my LE therapist who has been treating LE for over 10 years. She said she used to keep a running tally on all kinds of things - amount of swelling one would get with pregnancy, hiking, in the heat; vascular issues: vericose veins, spider veins, hemorrhoids, etc..... and a multitude of other factors - including seromas, of course. She said with a patients' histories, there were muliple similarities where she could almost predict without fail who develops LE. She pushed to have surgeons send their patients for education and measurements prior to surgery, but didn't get much support because so many of the surgeons aren't proactive about LE and are frequently in denial that their patients ever get it. It is so upsetting. 

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited February 2011

Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted anything but I have been keeping up with everyone and keeping in my prayers.  I have began PT to work on my scar tissue.  I am still having issues with pain on the BC side.  Dr. D had told me during my consultation that there were no guarantees but he knew he could make my discomfort better.  All said and done I am very happy that I went to NOLA.  I am so glad the implants are out but I wish the pain would have been taken care of.  Dr. D said that I may have suffered nerve damage during my mastectomy.  Has anyone else had any type of nerve damage?  If so how long does it take to heal and is there anything I can do in the mean time beside take pain pill?  I do have some good days and I am working full time again.  I have hope that within a year that maybe this will all be behind me.

Now that I am 2 months out from Stage 2 I am happy to report Dr. D gave my abs when he did lipo on my stomach.  Well they may be from sculpting fat but they are starting to look pretty darn good.  I am thinking I may sport that bikini after all this summer.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited February 2011

Oh Tracee - I wish you could get a break one of these days. I'm hoping the doctors at NOLA can finally get this flap under control.  Will Dr Massey be there this time?  I wish I could come by and visit you.

Some day soon you will be pulling your drains too!  It is a great feeling and it won't be long for you.  I hear the DIEP drains stay in a much shorter amount of time.  I hope the surgery goes smoothly for you.

Safe travels and hope to hear some good news from you later this week. Take care and my prayers and thoughts are with you.

Kathryn

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2011

Springtime.. I went to Tulane.

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2011

Tracee: Oh man, I know it's a drag to return so soon but you seem to have a good attitude and that will help you sail through.  I'm in NOLA now (just had my post-op appt with Dr. S) but will be leaving tomorrow morning.  Though I won't actually see you, know that you're in my thoughts.

Post-op appt went swimmingly!  Everything looks great.  Dr. S removed my lifting restrictions, and even the need to wear the compression bra!!  I just have to wear the compression garment one more week and the surgical stockings while flying.  Yippee!  I am a hippie at heart, never catered to bras.  Spent most of my life seesawing between AA and A, now I'm ready to show off the big guys -- yep, I'm sporting big B's now -- Baby Berthas!!!  

Luv ya all ~ Debbie 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2011

Hi Melinda

I have an area under one breast that has bothered me since right after my mastectomy. It ebbs and flows and is not horrible but not going away either. Dr D also told me he thought it was nerve damage:(  Sorry I don't have any advice, but I can empathize!

I want to post for any future readers of this thread who wonder if they will ever see results from lipo, that it took 7 or 8 weeks for me. But I do now see a noticeable difference in the "saddlebag" area. (HIP HIP HOOORAY-pun intended:)  and all my pants are too big!

One thing I am wondering about--I am still very numb in the areas I had lipo. Has anyone had permanent numbness from lipo? Between my breasts, abdomen and now various lipo sites,  that's a lot of numbness!

• Springtime
    edited February 2011

Melinda, You go girl! Get yourself a bikini!

Melinda, I have some areas that got better after lipo, and some that never returned to normal. I have a few numb areas, but those are really close to the incision lines.  

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2011

Total change of subject - hope you all don't mind!

Trying to help my son decide on insurance in Calif. Wondering if any of you had good/bad experiences with Blue Shield or Cigna PPOs. I know he won't be needing breast recon, but your good or bad experiences may say something about the companies.

Thanks!

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited February 2011

I hope everyone does ok with complications, etc.

I am going to NOLA on April 27th and staying at the Hope Lodge.  Can you give me feedback on how far that is from downtown, etc.  I appreciate your thoughts and thanks.  heather

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited February 2011

Downtown, you mean from the French Quarter? It's about 15 minutes or so I'd guess.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited February 2011

Tracee, I'll be thinking about you. Just take care of yourself, and do what has to be done to take care of your infection. I'll be sorry to miss you in Utah, but I'm usually not the best of company post-op anyway!

Please keep us posted on your healing and surgery!

• kathrynla
    edited February 2011

Minnesota. I have a unique policy through my husband's union - it is sort of an HMO, but the back up is a PPO with Blue Cross/Blue Sheild. Not everyone takes the other insurance (Motion Picture Health) so if I want to go to a doctor who is out of network then I can use the BCBS.  What I have found is that every doctor that I would want to use accepts this insurance. From my experience with NOLA it would seem it does not pay that well, but I'm not sure if that is true or not since the doctors all seem to take it. Like all insurance companies you may have to do a lot of follow up and calling to clear things up, but I have had insurance through other companies and this seems to be better than most.  Also, most hospitals in the LA area (not sure where your son is) seem to be in network for BCBS.

Of course, others may have different opinions :)

Kathryn

• Xfitgirl
    edited February 2011

Tracee - Thinking of you! Hope all went well today.

Look forward to hearing from you when you are up to posting again.xox.

• Minnesota
    edited February 2011

Thanks Kathryn.

Tracee - thinking of u...

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2011

Minn, I was with BCBS for a few years (their top PPO plan) and only switched to HeathNet because my broker was able to get my family premium lowered by $700 a month, while keeping us on a great PPO plan.  When BCBS paid very poorly for my stage I DIEP, I wrote two letters of appeal, and the second one resulted in them nearly paying my plastic surgeon in full.  I still don't understand how that happened because they were only supposed to pay 70%.  Not that I'm complaining!!

• Nordy
    edited February 2011

Minnesota - When I lived in Cali I had BS of California - a PPO plan. They were really wonderful. Yes, I don't think they paid all that well either, but so many places were in network for them that it didn't affect me. There were a couple times I had to call them about bills, but not often. They were my company during my diagnosis and treatment for BC. I would take them any day over the sh*tty company that my husband's employer contracts with now. For Sure. We purchased our insurance through an agent (I think his last name was Goodman???) that came to our house to talk to us about it. I don't know what area your son is in, but we were in Redlands. I am going to look and see if I still have his card somewhere... I'll get back to you.

• Springtime
    edited February 2011

Heather, I think Hope Lodge is far from the French Quarter (we had to take a cab ride). There is also not much around it, but it is free! You may need a cab to get groceries if you don't rent a car. I only stayed one night. No food allowed in the rooms (only water), but you get kitchen and refrigerator space. 

Minn, I have Cingna PPO (with IBM) and it's been good to us so far.  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2011

Hope Lodge isn't far from the Streetcar but not really walkable... and the streetcar runs down to the quarter... And the streetcar is not a reliable source of transportation.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited February 2011

Looks like I'm NOLA bound now instead of Utah. Things are heating up and Marga needed to change my date and place. So, Friday March 4 at Fairway.

Big scramble to change airlines and and find a reasonable hotel. My god, it's Mardis Gras weekend! What a headache. I'm kinda glad to be out in Covington!

• Springtime
    edited February 2011

FOOBS IS TOMORROW!!!      GOOD LUCK FOOBS!!!!

• Xfitgirl
    edited February 2011

Good luck Foobs!

Nice pic Nordy! 

• kathrynla
    edited February 2011

Today was a new post stage 1 milestone.  It was time to get my first bra. Celeste told me no underwires -- I guess I've been wearing them for so long I didn't realize how few bras there were without them. Anyway, the salesperson directed me to the non-underwire bras and then asked me what size I was.  I think I must have looked pretty silly when I stammered "I don't know."  She looked kind of puzzled and then I said I would try on a few different sizes.  She left me to my own devices.  Looks like I'm a large B or small C.  Couldn't decide so I bought both!

On another note - the skin on my breasts is peeling and flaking off. Meant to call NOLA today to ask about it.  Have others had that happen too? Any suggestions?

Tracee - thinking of you today and hoping all went well!

Kathryn

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2011

Hope we hear from you soon, Tracee!   Best wishes for tomorrow, Foobs!  Just wanted to drop in and let you know I've been thinking of you and now I have a lot of paperwork to do for the rest of tonight.  Anne, did you get a hotel room?   Nordy, I love your sweet photo!

• Minnesota
    edited February 2011

Good luck tomorrow, Foobs! (And they are real boobs! Roobs, if you must!)

Tracee - Hope you're recovering nicely and enjoying icees!

Thanks Sandy, Nordy, and Springtime for the info on your insurance. It sounds like both of them are pretty good. He's getting it thru work and there is one with a high deductible, but then Google puts money into a HSA for them, so it basically takes care of that. (That last sentence I just added so I could brag again about my son working for Google)

Anne - A headache?! How can you be complaining about being there during Mardi Gras! Yes, Covington is over the bridge, but you do get a limo! Man, I would LOVE to be there during the actual Mardi Gras!!!!! PPPLLBBBTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathryn - I had the peely, flaky skin, too. I think it's because you haven't been able to really wash or have water hit your breasts very hard. Once eveything is healed and you can scrub them a little, it all goes away.