Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2011

Nordy... I guess I missed that part...

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2011

Brenda~ ((HUGS)) You can beat this back, please check in and let us know how you are doing.  Until then I am sending you tons of positive thoughts and prayers.

Kathryn~ My boom-boom (as my kids call it) did the same thing.  It looked like a water bed but didn't drain a lot at all.

As for me, I went to the urologist today and can I get a WHOOP, WHOOP for fat....lol... No joke, it isn't a hernia, it isn't my kidney it is just fat.  I did a little heal kick leaving the office and told my Urologist I would be happy to see him any place but there.  I do have to say that he was reall curious as to where my boobs came from...lol... 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2011

((((((((((((Brenda))))))))))))))you will be constantly in our prayers. 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2011

Spring My date is April 6th with Dr D at St Charles. I just found out while I was at work so I am not sure of my travel arrangements yet. Nordy it would be awesome if you could come. I am thinking Surgery Wednesday and out Thursday or Friday and then home Saturday or Sunday. Come on Nordy it will be beautiful there. I will just get back from United Kingdom and work a week and then fly to NOLA. I will let you know more when I know exact appts etc and discharge dates. ( How many points are on the cards LOL)

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2011

Brenda - I'm so sorry. My heart is in knots. I'm praying for you.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2011

Jamie - I can just see you kicking up your heels. Congrats!

Sally - Wow - that's only about a month away!

Springtime - Sounds like what I went thru with my mom a couple of years ago when she broke a hip. Really stressful for everyone. BTW, she's doing great now - wobbly, but walking - 91 - she says nice things to me like yours says to you. Don't you love it?! (I think it'd because her eyes aren't too good!)

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2011

Sally - I am looking... No, staring at my husband's calendar trying to think of a way that I could come down with you, but I don't think I can. He will be working 3  24 hour shifts during that week. :( I know it would be beautiful, but I wouldn't have anyone at home with my kids!!! I am sorry. :(

Jaimie - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2011

bdavis - just wanted to jump in and say that although Charleston would have been a lot closer and easier for me to have my stage 1 - I am soooo glad I went to NOLA.  I have NEVER been treated as well as I was there.  It's worth it if you can swing it, and it sounds like with the friend and condo available it may be a no-brainer.  Good Luck.

{{{{Brenda}}}} - prayers.  Stay strong and kick this thing back to the curb where it belongs!

Anne - posted on other forum but just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow.  Give Dr. M a big hug from me.  Looking forward to your report.

I'm off this afternoon to have my melanoma carved out of my forearm.  Joy. I keep reminding myself that at least it's not on my face or my $250,000 chest!

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited March 2011

I really don’t think I’m imagining it but I’ve been rubbing pure coconut butter (that I brought home from Costa Rica last summer) onto my surgical scars twice a day and I swear, THEY ARE DISAPPEARING.  It’s only been two weeks but they are definitely growing fainter!!!  I’m hoping the small amount I have holds out until we return to CR at the end of May.  I may just stock up on this stuff while I’m there!

Just gotta say, Stage 2 is so much easier than Stage 1.  Other than needing more sleep, I’m two weeks out and never felt better.

I decided to beat the bullet and purchased a Marena garment via Amazon.  With a $20 voucher, it felt affordable at 60 some dollars. 

Brenda -- you’ve got a whole community of supporters here that will be fighting right along side you.  Stay strong, you can beat this!

• Nordy
    edited March 2011

Journey - good luck with your procedure today!!! My sister in law had malignant melanoma 2 years ago. They managed to get it all, even though they had to go a bit deeper than they first thought. She is dong great and is having her fourth baby in August! So, hang in there!!!

• Nordy
    edited March 2011

AnneW - Have a great trip to NOLA!!! Please have a beignet for me!

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited March 2011

Journey - wishing you luck today. My mother had two melanomas (one on her face and one on her shoulder) over 10 years ago without reoccurence (she's 86 and traveling the world with her boyfriend.) 

Anne - save travels and have some great NO food for all of us!

Kathryn

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2011

Gosh, it has been awhile since I posted in here but I read along via email whenever someone else posts.... it's just going to be impossible for me to address everyone at this point but I remember a few...

Jamieh- celebrating harmless fat with you girl! lol

BDavis - I can't think of a better choice than going to NOLA.  It's easier than you might think.

Spring - Can I stop by and see your mom?  I so need someone to tell me I look 30 something! LOL.  Seriously, I feel for you ... my DH's mom had Alzheimers and it was very sad for all of us.  Tough situation. 

Journey - Good luck with your procedure.  A couple months ago I went to the Derm and he found basal cell carcinoma on my face (left cheek).  He carved it out but once it came back positive he set up another appt to go back in and take more to get clean margins.  I never went back.  I guess after all this BC stuff, basal cell carcinoma is almost silly to me.  Like a head cold.  I know, I know... I'll keep an eye on it and eventually follow up...  but right now.. ENOUGH!

Sally - good luck on your 2B (2B is easier than 2, 2 is easier than 1) lol

Brenda26 - hang in there... we are all in the fight with you .. if you know us... if you don't... we are.

Sandy - Sorry people are sick at your company but I hope you are enjoying the new facilities... looks great from the FB photos!

Me? Well... I am plowing along.  Wishing my butt was not so numb, wondering if feeling will ever come back back there.  Stage 2B was Dec 3rd, one butt incision was redone but really both sides are very numb still.  I am trying to get back to NOLA for tattoos with Don.  As of 1/1, we switched insurance from Anthem to Cigna and guess what... Cigna is in network.  I feel horrible ... Anthem sucked as far as paying and had my husband switched jobs last year, it would have been better for Dr. D.  They are probably cursing me... in network for tattoos.. Anthem for all the other surgeries... Timing is everything.. ugh. 

I have decided to join the local community center/health club to step up the exercise and be "shorts-ready" by May. lol.  Now that I've had all this lipo, the weight I've gained seems to have gone to one place... my belly roll.  yuk.  So, I will take off 5/6 lbs and tone up and see what the end product really looks like.  I'm thinking with some work I can improve what I have.. my arms are flabby all the sudden... dang, I've never had flabby arms, then boom... here they are!!  WTH!  Wish me luck.

Looks like Anne and Anne are up to bat!  Good luck girls!!  Laughing

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2011

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2011/march/211611/New-way-of-reconstructing-breasts-after-cancer

Just wanted to let y'all know that Liz and CRBS were featured on my local news here in Florida!

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2011

Just a quick hello to everyone. I am very behind. I have been so busy with knee rehab and just work in general.Good luck to upcoming surgeries!

Special shout out to Holtbolt-I'm doing the health club thing too! After the winter we had-yikes!

Thinking about returning for a revision on nipple(sort of flat)-Do they fix that? 

• holtbolt
    edited March 2011
    Mamaluch!! Hey!!  How are you?? Fond memories of us visiting at St. Charles!!  Hope you're doing well!! Maybe we'll see each other again down there ... reunion... tattoos/nipple redo? Laughing
  • laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2011

Jaimie - missed you earlier. Hurrah for fat!

• bdavis
    edited March 2011

Just got a call from NOLA and found out that my insurance is excellent and will have basically no out of pocket expenses for the procedures... yeah me!!! Apparently thats a rare thing.

• Nordy
    edited March 2011

BD - just PM'd you... sitting here green with envy... and coincidently am also wearing a green sweater... LOL... so SUPER green.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2011

Hi mamaluch, I can vouch for the fact that they do nipple revisions!  You need to have good skin to maintain projection--not too thin, and not too tight.   I think I have a bit of both issues, but am still glad I had the revisions even though I didn't keep as much projection as I wanted.  I guess I'd say there were other benefits to having the nipples revised thanks to doctors who are perfectionists and always find other things they want to improve upon, so no regrets here. Wink

bdavis, yes, rare and wonderful!!!  You are going to be the envy of lots of ladies...but I would have traded my car (and maybe my husband's too) for the results I got in NOLA.  Nordy, I hope you are wearing another color today!

It's weird that my future plans no longer revolve around revision surgeries.  No upcoming trips to NOLA to look forward too.....My aunt in OK decided that she wants to see Celine Dion in Vegas, so we just ordered tickets today for a Saturday in June.  We're going to go with a second cousin whom I've only seen once or twice ever, (probably only at funerals) so it will be a great weekend for the three of us girls to hang out together.

Hope you all have a nice weekend! Cindy, the new place is great, but much to do to get organized.  I'm working on that tomorrow. Marcia, I'll try to watch that video tonight.  I have a lot of catching up to do!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2011

Cindy, I just read what you wrote about your insurance.  I think it's the other way around.  When in network, they only get paid negotiated contracted rates.   I have been really happy with how my out-of-network insurance has paid St. Charles as compared to how they paid my in-network hospital here at home.  Huge, huge difference!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2011

Sally, I added your date. Check and see if okay. Was not sure, Stage 2B?

BDavis, do you have CIGNA? I did and was in network, and I have never paid one cent out of pocket. Which is amazing. Of course we flew there and paid hotel, but so so so no regrets.

AnneW - Hope you are okay! Saw on facebook you have 2 drains, but girlie, those are going to be gone in a couple of days!!! No kidding!

girls, sorry I have not been here much lately. I ahve been working at my families house out of state and getting things ready at the Dementia care unit place for my Mom. My sister and I fixed up her room today, which made me feel really good. We hung pictures and it looks really homey. they put new carpet in there! Driving back home tomorrow to NC - 10 hours in car! This trip has been HELL on my exercise routine! WAH!!!

• bdavis
    edited March 2011

Springtime... I have Aetna... and my flight will be cheap... flying to NOLA in July from NYC... no one does that. Plus I went to school there, so I have contacts and places to stay or will just stay at Hope Lodge. My good friend from college says instead of staying at her house with 4 men, we can stay at Hope Lodge and have peace, or at her oldest son's condo... and kick him out. And she will be my caretaker for the duration... So, yes I feel lucky and potentially will pay nothing, or less than $1000... will all depend on my other expenses medically between now and then... Having my port taken out will come out of my co-insurance thus lowering my out of pocket for MX and recon.

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2011

Hi Ladies-

I have not been a super regular poster, but I hope it is ok that I am back....I have been trying to do my thing on the other threads.  It is just so upsetting to read what some women are told by their PSs...Anyway,

Brenda26 - I am so sorry to hear what you are dealing with - I am here for you as well!

AnneW - I hope everything is going ok postop!

heatherbless - sorry we won't be there at the same time, they offered me April 29th initially but then moved me to April 12th. I will be thinking about you - you are in the right place!! 

bdavis - I am glad to hear it looks like it will work out - you won't be sorry! I started somewhere else and have had to have multiple revisions due to my first PSs incompetence... 

Spring - Can you put me down for April 12 stage ?? (Maybe 2C?) with Dr D.  The last time I was there he said "welcome back for stage 200!" LOL. He may be ready to be done with me - having seen me every 3 months since August. I am getting nips and hopefully another lift this time around.  I just need to keep on with it and get done - not sure my work will tolerate more several week absences after this year is done.  

Sandy - again, glad to hear the move went well.  Thanks for everything, I can't really express how much your willingness to put yourself out there last year, to a complete stranger, meant to me.  I think of you often and wish you well in everything :) 

I need to post new pics on timtam but he managed to get rid of the (enormous) scar on the left and hide most of what was left in the inframammary fold.  So I am overall really pleased - compared to my starting point which many of you have seen it is a huge improvement.  I am 100% sure I have made the "worst results" slideshow but I think I am on the right track now!  Thank you all for your support here and on timtam.

My BMX was 4/15/10 so I will come in just under 1 year w/o nips.  I am excited (and nervous) about it.  It seems like the consensus is that people are glad to have them though.

Did most of you get tats through the Center?  I have heard about Vinnie Myers and also Earleen.  Any input?

Anyway, good luck to everyone upcoming!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2011

I used Vinnie Myers in MD :)  My pictures are on timtam's if you wanna see.

• holtbolt
    edited March 2011
    Sandy - I hope you're right about the insurance.  But they told me mine (Anthem) was the worst insurance they deal with and trust me they paid them very little.  I supplemented of course ..but it was a crime how little Anthem paid.  I felt so so bad about it on each stage, almost guilty. I had the best surgeon in the world, so gracious and talented and humble and my insurance paid him like a Doc in a Box.  Ugh.  Yet, he treated me like a queen.  Crazy.  I can't imagine my new insurance (Cigna) is worse than Anthem, even at contracted rates ... but I don't know since I haven't used it yet.  You know it IS weird not to be planning the next surgery down there... there's this weird sadness that I'll never see them all again...well, I get one more tattoo trip sometime.... but seriously they feel like family and it's really sad that they live so far away!!!  lol Am I the only one who feels like that?  Strange....So... do let me know when there is a reunion or a fundraiser for Breastoration.... I would love to have a reason to go south! Laughing
  • Nordy
    edited March 2011

HottBUTT - It IS sad to think that there is no longer a reason to go there... although I may end up having a tummy tuck there later...LOL... because you know I was too scared to do it when it would have been USEFUL for fat retrieval! And I still may have him add some fat to the upper pole of my left breast. The question is when and how since my insurance company is so *ss backwards. Maybe I will try again after the new year??? (yes, next new year). Anyway, I already told my hubby that Sandy was talking about doing the Komen run down there and I would LOVE to go! And I know Eve loves Halloween there - but I don't really want to take my kids away from their cousins again for Halloween... so that weekend is out for me. AND I am still trying to figure a way to go with Sally for her stage 2B! Funny how New Orleans grew on me as before my surgery there - it was a place that was SO far from my radar for visiting!

Anne - hope you are resting well tonight! 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2011

Wide awake at 2 a.m! I have a " private duty" nurse--I'm her only patient! Tush is sore and breasts are draining a lot. She had to cut away the necrosis and reshape my. Smaller but perkier--"yoga boobies" I call them. I just love this woman to pieces!

Tracee, won't make it to the Center to see you but I hear you are doing well. Hang in there, girl!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited March 2011

Count me in for a reunion or the Komen walk, Halloween, basically any excuse to go to NOLA again ;) The first trip there I was not impressed with New Orleans as a city, but for stage 2 I got to see more of the amazing city. Since stage 2 I have been trying to figure out a reason to make another trip there. I am in love with everything about that place and can relate to feeling sad thinking of being done with that part of the journey. We all are so truly blessed. Not only for each of us on here, but for the wonderful experience, surgeons and nurses there. Hopefully we can pick a date soon so I can start

planning :)

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2011

I got my King Cake today...YUM!!  I'm so NOLA sick right now.

October Ladies!!!  As soon as we decide on the date, I am buying tickets.  No matter what!   I have adopted NOLA as my second (or third) home. 

Anne, so glad you are doing well and being doted on!!  

I still don't have a schedule for the biopsies.  It is a true WTF are you doing regarding the radiology department at the hospital.  Supposedly the delay is because they were waiting on my films from the radiology place I go to.  Funny how I dropped them off IN PERSON on Tuesday and watched the office gal burn the disc into my file and scan the reports in as well.  Ugh.  I leave Monday for Passion Parties convention in Vegas, so I don't know if I will have a date by then.  My doc's MA is supposed to be calling the radiology supervisor first thing Monday, but we shall see.  Why can't I just have all medical procedures done at St. Charles??