Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• tracee
    tracee Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2011

Not sure where I left off.  I had 3 days of fever and excruciating right breast pain due to an infection.  I flew back to NOLA on Monday.  Drs. Sulliven and Massey were surprised when they discovered that 95% of the flap was okay.  They did have to remove a lot of skin which was necrotic and dehiscing.  The wound is packed for now as the antibiotics kick in.  I'm going back to the OR in an hour for further wound care.  Once the inflammation settles down, I will be having a diep.  Not sure if this will be this week or next.  I'm very relieved to have a healthy flap, so that finding creatvie ways to fix it is not an issue.  AnneW-  Sorry that your surgery was moved to NOLA.  I'm tentatively scheduled to fly home on 3/4.  Foobs- if your still here, maybe we could meet.    

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited February 2011

Tracee - So glad to hear things are better than expected. Hang in there girl! You are in the best hands. xox.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2011

Tracee, hang in there. Glad they flew you back (on their dime, I assume) and are taking care of you. 

Kathryn, did you try lotion? I find it helps. Donn the tattoo artist swears by Palmers cocoa butter and there are several versions! He told me my scars would be nearly gone in a year if I used cocoa butter. So yes, I smear it on! Helps with dry skin too.

I am also between a B and C, so I buy the C and one side has a bit of room at the end. But if I bend over and sloosh my boobs around into the bra, it seems to take care of that. Yes Slooshing the boobs. You know what I mean!!

JEANS UPDATE - I am trying "Slender Secret Stretch" by Lee jeans - they have a couple different version, one has pocket flaps! I got both of the versions they had last night  (Kohls 30% off coupon), This version rides lower on the wiast than their Normal " all the way up to your belly button" version - which I cannot bear. Nice and soft, sort of similar to my yoga pants, and THEY STAY UP!! My shape has changed so much. I was a Levi's girl before all this, but they just are not working for me. Lee was the antithesis of my body before surgery. Now, it seems they work best?? Just sharing, for all of those on the never ending Jeans Journey!!!  

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited February 2011

Tracee - that is great news. I'm so glad it's much better than anyone anticipated. I guess you'll be staying in NOLA until your surgery.  Great you'll get to meet more people while there (a perk?) Hoping the next surgery is smooth sailing and a speedy recovery.

Springtime - thanks for the the cocoa butter suggestion. I'll let you know if I stop shedding soon!

Kathryn

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited February 2011

MN, I know you'd be on the front row begging for beads!!! DH and I are not crazy about crowds, much less insane ones! Anyway, we're in on Thurs and out on Sun. I will, however, get a Cafe du Monde at the airport!

Don't think we'll rely on the limo. We'll need to get out to eat at night as we're staying in Covington near Fairway Hospital. Don't think the limo driver will be THAT much at our beck and call!

• K9Kim
    K9Kim Member Posts: 47
    edited February 2011

**Hello Ladies**

It's been sooooo long since I posted, however I have been keeping up with the board. I get the updates through my email, so I love that I never feel out of touch with what's going on in each of your worlds! I'm sorry I haven't been posting, I have been so withdrawn from everything. Lots has changed in my life. I lost my job I loved so much as a K9 handler! They force transferred me out of the position. They won't say it's because of health, but I know it is. They are very clever and smart in how they do that. My dog is 10 and they won't retire him and let him come home with me. I have been fighting this battle since January, when I returned to work after NOLA. It was official as of 2/20... Not a thing more I could do. I am so upset. I am grieving for my dog. :-( I adored him and miss him so much! He gave me purpose and made me feel needed. 

Anyway, I contacted Jeanine about Stage 2, as I still have this thyroid cancer I need to take care of. She had given me a tenative surgery date of 3/4, but had to check with Dr Gray (surgeon doing my thyrpid surgery) to see if that would fit in his schedule or not. That was a week ago last Tuesday and I haven't heard back from her. Otherwise, the next available date wasn't until 3/30. The way she made it sound is, if the 3/4 date worked out, I would be on my own for flights since it is right before Mardi Gras? Anyone else get told this? Just curious. 

I am so overwhelmed... and have been really down in the dumps and just can't seem to drag myself out of the pit. I have seen a shrink and he put me on zoloft about 2 weeks ago, I hope to God that helps, but have not been successful with anti-depressants in the past. But am willing to try anything at this point, I can't stay the way I have been.

Hi Minn, Spring, Nordy, Sandy, Ann & Mamaluch!! I hope you are all doing well! As well as all the other ladies that have had surgery since my last post. Again, although I don't post, I read all of them and keep each one of you in my prayers each night! 

**HUGS** 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited February 2011

Hi K9Kim. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your job. So many people don't like what they do and you had a situation where you did. I hope you find something even more wonderful and fulfilling soon!  Sometimes those things really do happen.

Kathryn

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited February 2011

K9Kim, so sorry you've been through so much, I can relate only in losing my job. I lost mine right before surgery. I still feel like you, that it had something to do with my health and insurance costs etc... Please take care of yourself and focus on YOU, and stage 2 is right around the corner! I would call Katie or email her directly about the flights, I know they helped me (mercy medical) with both trips, but mine weren't around mardi gras. I don't know why they would tell you no. Katie is a "SUPERSTAR" when it comes to travel.

Hang in there girl...Smile

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited February 2011

Ladies:  Thanks for everyone's feedback on the Hope Lodge.

Beverly, thanks for the info on the jeans.  I feel like my butt disappered after the SGAP!

Tracee, I hope everything works out for your flap surgery.

Best to everyone,  heather

• AnneW
    edited February 2011

Kim, I'm having surgery on 3/4 in NOLA at Fairway. I got Frontier from Denver for less than $300 round trip. United wanted $1500!!! We just made arrangements yesterday. Finding a hotel may be harder! But I don't go through the Center--I am Dr. Massey's.

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2011

Minnesota, My ONC said that Cigna was the best at paying.  And my coverage thru Cigna for my stage 1 was much better than what it has been since then with Blue Cross.  Of course, it varies with the exact plan, but thats my input on it....

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2011

((((((((((K9Kim))))))))))))))) so sorry about how things are going  You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.  Hang in there, you have been through too much already to let this stop you!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2011

Kim - That is the pits! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this now - and then they don't even let you take the dog... Unbelievable. I hope the antidepressant kicks in soon. Just try to get thru each day. Set yourself a goal of doing three things, no matter how tiny they seem. It will make you feel better to accomplish them. One of the things could be to post one of your inspiring quotes on your Facebook wall. We all love them, and maybe they can help u get thru the days 'til things start looking a little sunnier.

Tracee - What you've been thru sounds terrible. I hope you're doing better tonite.

Gin - Thanks! I think he's leaning toward Cigna, so I'll tell him it does seem like a very good choice.

Anne - But I thought you liked beads!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2011

Kim... I am so sorry to hear about your job. Try to hang in there. I think you are doing a really good thing by going to talk to someone. ((((()))))

Tracee - I am so glad you are in NOLA and being well taken care of! I hope the antibiotics work well and that they can fix you up nicely! You know they will. 

AnneW - That is crazy that you have to change all your flights and stuff! I can't believe you found something for so cheap! Have a beignet for me!!! 

I can't scroll back to the previous page, but whoever complimented my new avatar - thank you! With me is my new crazy haywire puppy. He is so fresh. I have to roll him on his back and growl at him every day because he thinks he is the boss. We are working to change that before he gets older and it really becomes an issue! 

• Xfitgirl
    edited February 2011

Kim - I'm so sorry to hear about the recent difficulties in your life. Losing a job can't be easy and more so when you lose a dear pet/partner along with it. I can't imagine the emotions you must be going through but.... you must get that thyroid cancer eradicated!

I don't mean to sound bossy but please prioritize the cancer first. Then stage 2, a new job and anything else that your new life will bless you with.

BTW - I took an antidepressant for a short while during this almost now 2 year journey with cancer and reconstruction and it worked wonders. I hope it does the same for you.

Please keep us posted. xox. 

• Springtime
    edited February 2011

Oh Kim, My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine loosing a job and a dog at the same time. We were infomred of layoffs at work today, a very sad time. I took Lexipro for a short time when I was first dx'd and in Chemo. Worked okay, I went off it after a few months. I guess I got "used" to the whole thing. I hope it helps you. 

Anne, do you want me to add your 3/4 surgery to the list above? If so, give me the info you want me to post. (not sure of stage or whatever!)

Nordy, yes DOMINATE him!!! He is trying to be the boss of the house! You are the boss! But you know this, he is cute but sounds like he has an attitude! My pup was like this at first, but he turned out wonderfully. I hope the same for Cloud! My pup's name is Cody. :) 

• Nordy
    edited February 2011
    Well, considering I coined the "Dominatrix" outfit - I think it is only fitting that I become THE Dominator! So, you all can just refer to me as such, from here on out... LOLOLOLOLOLWink
  • AnneW
    edited February 2011

Bev, go ahead and add me to the list. Mar 4, Fairway Hosp, Dr. Massey, Stage 2B.

Thanks. OMG, that's a week from today. Please, lord, don't let me catch the crud that's going around! I'm exposed every day at work to infected college kids. They're as bad as pre-schoolers!

• Xfitgirl
    edited February 2011

OMG! My thighs are smaller! 17 days post stage 2 and beginning to see the fruits of Dr D's labor :-)

Spring - Thx for the advice on the Marena girdles. Since I had lipo on my knees I got one down to my shins and it's working out great. It has no zippers and fits much smoother under clothing.

Tracee - How are you doing??? 

• Springtime
    edited February 2011

Okay Nordy, err, I mean DOMINATOR!!! 

Anne I added your date to the list above! Good luck staying healthy!!! Don't go into crowds!!

Liz, glad you are seeing the results and loving the marena!! So much better than Nordy's dominatrix. (oh, so much better than the DOMINATORS dominatrix!!) 

• Nordy
    edited February 2011
    LOLOLOLOLOL Bev! Laughing
  • amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2011

Nordy, it cracks me up how everyone calls it the "dom" now. Like it's an official name!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2011

Dominator~ I hope that your pup starts to "get it" real soon.

Has anyone heard from Trishia ???  I know she was having scans...Trishia, I hope it all turned out okay ((hugs)).

• tracee
    tracee Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2011

Hi gals.  I have taken up permanent residence at SCSH.  My wound evacuations have been going well.  Yesterday they applied a wound vac machine, which is like a seal a meal over a sponge in the wound itself.  It looks like I have a stake vacuumed onto my chest wall.  The hardest part is recovering from the chocalate martini that they serve rather than general anesthesia.  Versed and Fentanyl are good things to have when you're about to have a good scouring, but they do leave you in a bit of a fog for some time.  Fortunately, things looked good in the OR yesterday, and Dr. Trahan, who is covering for Dr. Massey, thought that with the wound vac we can skip going to the OR until Sunday.  Yeah.  No fuzzy head.  Maybe I'll be able to read today.  I had a bad day Thursday.  They discovered that my hemoglobin was 7.0.  Being from Utah, my hemoglobin was around 14.  I received 2 units of blood, but the benadryl they gave me sent me for a loop.  I'm afraid I was a bit of a baby for awhile that day.  Bounced back okay yesterday.  Enjoyed the first of the Mardi Gras parades from our window.  It was really fun.  I'm looking forward to 3 parades today and 2 on Sunday.  What great energy!  I'm feeling much healthier and emotionally stronger, so I think I'm in good shape to do this little diep thing on Monday.  Thanks for all of your encouraging messages. 

• Xfitgirl
    edited February 2011

Tracee - Great to hear from you! It sounds like you are on the right track. You couldn't be in better hands. A few months from now this will be just a memory.

I "lived" in one of the suites for almost two weeks. Having a large bright "condo" with great views of the parades and all the other goodies that come with it makes this whole deal just that little bit sweeter. I was treated like a princess and I know you are too.

Have a good weekend and enjoy the craziness of New Orleans. xox. 

• Nordy
    edited February 2011

Tracee! It is good to hear from you. Hang in there!!!

• Springtime
    edited February 2011

Tracee, my GOODNESS!!! As Liz can attest, hang in there and soon this will be a memory. You have every right to have a bad day, but it sounds like you've already recovered. Couldn't be in a nicer place than SCSH!! Great street views for the parade! 

Amy I must agree with you. It's official name (at least among those of us here!) became the DOM. he he he he. I was looking for something the other day and came across mine. ahhhck! I guess I am saving them in case somebody needs them??  

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited February 2011

Tracee...surrounding you in love and light!  I know you will get through this!

Well, it's more biopsies for me.  I hestiate to post because I swear it's always something.  Normally I am all 'Genetics be damned!"  but lately it's been "Damned genetics".  My doc isn't too concerned about the US of the breast.  But had a meltdown that they let palpable lymph nodes in 2 areas slide.  So, I am waiting for a phone call from the hospital to schedule a biopsy of the enlarged lymph nodes.  I don't know if they are doing a biopsy of both the neck and thigh nodes, or if it will be needle or excisional.  I HATE not knowing the details.  It makes me CRAZY.  I am worried that it will make my LE worse, but I know they have to be biopsied.  I am supposed to fly to Vegas for Passion Parties convention on Monday the 7th.  I don't even know if they can get me in before then or what type of recovery it will be if they are doing an excisional biopsy.  Can you tell my mind is SWIMMING!  ACK!  

I'll keep you all posted.  I'm off to do some retail therapy followed by martini drinking.  

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2011

Just 9 days out from Stage 2, with instructions that I only needed to wear my compression girdle for 2 weeks.  I’m thinking I would like to extend that time a bit more but not sure I want to pay the $100 for the little time I need it for.  Is there any kind of forum for ladies who sell or trade their garments?  I know I have a couple of real expensive boobs someone could probably use and I’m sure others do too.  Sure insurance pays but some women like a few different sizes from what I understand.  What do you all do with the expensive items you no longer use/need?  

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2011

I donate them to the ACS.