Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited March 2011

Hi Ro. As you can see we're all excited for you. The doctors have had a lot of consults so they do tend to answer a lot of your questions before you ask them -- but if you have any specific concerns or questions do write them do. I did and checked off almost all of them before I had a chance to ask them.

kssunflower - I have BCBS and they seem to pay the lowest. For those of us with crappy coverage the center will negotiate with you to help you determine how much you can afford out of pocket. We found that they were very understanding and compassionate. But don't stress about that yet. NOLA will do the work for you to find out your coverage and let you know. You can go from there. 

Good luck to the both of you!

Kathryn

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2011

Hello everyone!

Okay Sandy, great idea! I will add the date now for the Komen "race for the cure" reunion!  

• kathrynla
    edited March 2011

I have a question (or 2) for all of you NOLA alum.  I am over 7 weeks post Stage 1 and starting to look towards stage 2 in 2 months. So I was wondering, how much did the look of your breasts changes after stage 2?  And what kind of changes did you see? Also, when people go back for stage 2B (or 2C), what are they having done?

Thanks,

Kathryn

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2011

Great idea Marcia! 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2011

Kathryn I had some fat added to even the girls out in stage 2, nipples done, stomach plication and lipo done during stage 2.  I had a 2b because of a ledge that the fat didn't take during stage 2 and correct and I had a nipple that flattened way out so just to even the girls up.  So not everyone needs a 2b or C but some of us do but it is worth it :).

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2011

Kathryn, I had stage 2 in August and had Lipo and breasts evened out and abdomen scar was lowered. I am having 2B in a few weeks because my one breast is larger than other and when I lift my arms over my head one breast is falling out of my bra. I also have a rather noticable indentation on my abdomen that the are going to fix. I Love the Drs at NOLA even though this is my 4th surgery there. It has nothing to do with anything they did or didnt do but rather how each of our bodies heals and accepts the transplant (for lack of a better word) of my body. Hope that helps and if anyone else is in Nola around April 6th stop in to see me.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2011

Welcome Ro! I know one of the questions Sandy always wanted to ask Dr. D., but kept forgetting, was where does he buy his shoes?

• Springtime
    edited March 2011

Minn, do we know the answer to that question?? That's one I'd like to know! :)

• Springtime
    edited March 2011

Ro, how did you consult go?? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2011

LOL!!!  You little sneak!  Minn, his shoes are the last thing on my mind during a pre-op!  I think you and Spring are far more concerned than I have ever been. Why would I want to know the answer to that anyway?  It's not like I need mens' shoes!  Now, go outside and cool off, and behave yourself!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2011

While we are on the topic of things I always wanted to ask, my questions would have been more along the lines of trying to understand why my left flap nearly died, did he find anything unusual when he did my revisions that provided clues?  Now, if I were to ever have another pre-op, I'd ask how big the seroma was that he found last October when he revised my abdominal incision, does he ever touch up lipo without general anesthesia, would he consider adding eyelid lifts to stage II...

I did ask him about the fat injections.  I always thought they were done with a needle, but it turns out that he uses a lipo cannula.  I would really love to observe a surgery sometime to learn more about how everything is done--wouldn't that be cool?

• kathrynla
    edited March 2011

Sandy - LOL! Eyelids!  I was thinking they might put some of my fat in the lines around my mouth.  Has anyone ever asked? :)

Kathryn

• Minnesota
    edited March 2011

I want to observe a surgery, too! I was watching a youtube video of a TRAM the other night and my eyes got all filled up. (It wasn't because I was sad the person was getting a TRAM) It's just that it is so amazing what surgeons can do and that our bodies are so malleable. How miraculous that these guys and gals can sculpt with living, human tissue and undo the damage of cancer... Imagine what it must feel like to be able to do that! I hope it never becomes so routine for them that they don't see the magic of it.

You're right, Sandy. It was Springtime who wanted to ask about the shoes! And I think it's Hotbutt who's the little sneak, as I recall. I don't want to steal one of her many claims to fame!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2011

lol Minnesota, thanks.  I may be a little sneak but really my butt is not hot but I'll take that anyway.

Eyelids. lol Sandy.  I'd go back in a New York minute for a mini face lift if that's ever on the menu. lol.  Seriously though, does anyone know if either surgeon has done facial plastic surgery?  Because I swear pre-op Stage 1 my husband asked Dr. D why he chose this type of plastic surgery and he said he used to do facial stuff but found his calling in breast reconstruction because of the tremendous reward of being able to help women who have had bc.  I'll have to ask my husband coz he had that conversation with him, I was distracted at the time freaking out about being the one who was having surgery the next day so I was glazed over and just looking at the pretty office. LOL.   You remember that first impression?

Anyway, a couple questions about the reunion.  How long is the race .. can we walk it... I mean I'm no fit-body Nordy (even though she can't have Steven so it all evens out).    Do you think the center could get us their hotel discount.. and who is planning on going? I'm not a definite yet but want to be and I want to see if I can swing it. 

And, yeah, Kathryn, I could use that fat injecting cannula around the lines in my mouth too! lol

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited March 2011

The shoes are Mark Nason.  My sister bought her husband a pair for Christmas so he could look like a rock star too.  She fell in love with Dr. D and his clothes.lol

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited March 2011

Holtbolt good questions about the reunion. I had some of the same, and would be up for sharing a room? I plan on going, can't wait :)

• holtbolt
    edited March 2011

ok, I just asked DH again.  He said he can't remember if Dr. D was explaining that's why he doesn't do facial plastic surgery or that he used to and that's why he redirected his focus (not rewarding).  Interesting. Anybody know?

• Springtime
    edited March 2011

Melinda, example Mark Nasson (Italian) shoes!!! I believe you may be right!

• Minnesota
    edited March 2011

LOL! That's the shoe! Okay, I think it was that Dr. D did Ear, Nose, and Throat surgery - but not the cosmetic kind. Ha Hotbutt! Good one about Steven Tyler! I'm pretty sure it's a walk, too. I have the same concern. But I did go back to Curves today for the first time in a year! It was the week before my first surgery, just about this time last year. And my rear end did not hurt at all, but my left arm was pretty stiff.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2011

Really?  I am seeing an ENT tomorrow to schedule a biopsy of my neck nodules and thyroid.  It has been a NIGHTMARE even getting to this point.  My mom said to me on Monday...'Can't you just go to New Orleans?".  Maybe I can call Dr. D and ask him to do it for me.   It's so hard to get subpar care after being treated the way patients SHOULD be treated. 

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited March 2011

Question about fat necrosis: Is surgery necessary or is there any other solution?  I’m 4 weeks post Stage 2 and have developed a hardening of my breast, surrounding about 1/3 of the scar on one of my breast.  It’s like rock.  Am I right to assume this is fat necrosis?  Does it every dissolve on it’s own or increase in size?  Assuming I have to return for surgery, will it then be gone for good or can this be a reoccurring problem?

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2011

LOL! HOT Butt!!! I'll have Steven... somehow... LOL

Okay, the Komen Race for the Cure is always a walk as well as a run. They usually just have the walkers hang back until the runners have started. No biggy. I walked it several years when we lived in Texas - once because I was just out of shape, but the last time I did it I was 8 months pregnant and I am not one of those women that runs during their last trimester! I am contemplating surgery while I am there... so may be walking as well (adding a little volume to lefty and finishing up that tummy with hernia repair). We will see - I need to see if I can save up and pay OOP because insurance refuses. If not, I WILL be running.

Trishia - You really should see if you can have it done in NOLA. I know that they have some other surgeons that have credentials for St. Charles (Dr. Lagarde, Dr. Treen and an orthopedic surgeon too!) - ask them if they can get an ENT on staff. In the meantime - I am thinking about you and hope that every thing pulls together and that it all comes back benign!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2011

db - A lot of my fat necrosis just eventually resolved on their own. I would call the center and see what they think.

• holtbolt
    edited March 2011

Good luck Nordy.. now the whole country wants him since he's so cute on Idol. 

Ok so.... I keep feeling these pea size round things (2 or 3) on the inner edge of my breast.  If I want to, I can move them around.  I don't want to worry about these.... does anyone else have such a thing?  I was delayed recon.... virtually zero original breast tissue before stage 1 but somehow that's providing little comfort.  What can these be besides breast cancer tumors.  Anyone?

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2011

db, it might be scar tissue. Or necrosis plus scarring. Usually they advise waiting to see what time will do to soften these areas. For me, a year of waiting didn't hack it, and I needed some areas removed.

holtbolt, I have one or two of those things, too, and I'm pretty sure they are little fat globules.

• Springtime
    edited March 2011

DB, they will tell you it would be very unusual to get fat necrosis this far out of stage 1. I also developed a lump that was about the size of the top part of my thumb, after stage 2. When I called, they encouraged me to get it ultrasounded locally. It was determined to be FN. When I went back down for a 2B surgery, Dr. D blasted it with that high speed water they use for lipo, and he reduced the size - he did not want to remove it and leave a dent. 

Mine does not bother me at all and never did.

I agree you should call and see what they say!

I am thinking of booking my room at the Homewood for October!! Never can get these things booked too early! I am going to go through the CRBS website and get the discount rate.

Holt bolt, they could also be little oil globules. Several women here have had these like oily cyst things.

Spring.

• holtbolt
    edited March 2011
    I think I might post it on Ask The Doctor and see what he says.  I am SO over worrying about little round things in boobs. Undecided
  • rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited March 2011

The appointment went great! Dr.D and the crew lived up to everything I expected--really a little more. The plan is May 25th at the St.Charles center. Getting a lil nervous-which is unusual for me. I guess i am concerned about being down for 6-8 week?

• Minnesota
    edited March 2011

Yeah, Rogam! I'm so glad your appointment went great! It's totally normal to get nervous - even if you usually have nerves of steel. We've all been there. And try to come to terms with the idea that it will leave you pretty exhausted for a looooong time. Try to think of things you can do while you recuperate that you can look forward to. Some books you never got around to reading, movies you could rent, that pile of magazines you never got to... You'll need to be really nice to yourself and your body, and let others pamper you, too! And you can also come here for TLC and support!

Trish - This is from his bio (BTW, the docs have new, really long bios on the Center website now): "Dr. DellaCroce received his medical degree from Louisiana State University Health Science Center. He completed both his General Surgery internship and Head and Neck Surgery Residency at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston, Texas before returning to LSU for a second residency in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery." But you better watch out, Trish, if you go see him about your neck. You might just end up having to accept the fact that he is The Best!!!!!!

I see that Hotbutt got her question answered on Ask the Doctor and now she is relieved and back to her green beer! Yeah!

• tracee
    tracee Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2011

It's been so long since I posted that I can't remember when I last posted.  Everything is such a blur.  After I came home from NOLA 2/11, my right flap became infected and the incision dehisced.  I returned to NOLA on 2/21 after several days of pretty excruciating pain and feeling pretty awful. I went back to the OR for wound debridement daily for the next 5 days.  Ultimately, they ended up removing the flap on 2/28.  Dr. Massey and Dr. Sullivan took additional flaps from both hips (more on the sides), and my abdomen to recreate the right breast. The procedure was 12 hours long.  There was a little scare on 3/1 when I had to go back to surgery, because one of the small flaps was failing.  They removed it, and the rest of the flap has been fine since.  Given all of the issues I had during the previous admission, they kept me in the hospital until I flew home on 3/8.

We were able to watch 17 Mardi Gras parades from the hospital windows.  On my last night, I did go across the street to watch the parade for a few minutes with the nurses who were off.  That was pretty fun.  As before, I received exceptional care from everyone there.  It is good to be back home.  This recovery has been much more difficult.  It's been 7 1/2 weeks since my first surgery with a total of 10 surgeries.  I'm hanging in there hoping that day by day things will get better. The good news is that some of the hip work that was already done may mean no additional work at the time that I have stage 2.  The thought of another surgery is too overwhelming at this point.  I'm so focused on the pain, etc. that it's hard to appreciate why I did it in the first place.  

How did you all feel 17 days out after a DIEP?  Still having pain?  Using narcotics?  I've been trying to manage with just Ibuprofen and Tylenol, but it doesn't seem to be enough?  It's hard to know at this point how much is pain, how much is just not feeling good, and how much is just being so tired and weary of this whole process.  Any words of encouragement that you may have would be much appreciated.  

Kathryn- I'm sorry for not emailing.  I hope you're doing well.

Xfitgirl- Xfitgirl- I didn't have enough time to create the extra fat in the 10 days that I was home.  I also hope that you're recovering well.

AnneW-  I apologize to you and others whose surgical plans may have been interrupted.  My problems may have been part of the reason that Dr. Massey's trip to Salt Lake City that week was cut short.  Dr. Massey is an amazingly dedicated surgeon, and I feel very lucky that she has been taking care of me through all of this.