Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2011

BDavis, I think an in person consult is an excellent idea, and you can ask a million questions too. I did before deciding on the 4 flaps after I finished radiation. I actually had my chemo, then matectromy in NOLA with alloderm and implants. This was temporary to get me through rads. After rads were finished, I waited 6 months then went back for Stage 1 stacked DIEP/lumbar flaps. So there are many options and they work with you. I had so little fat, even stacking, he didn't want any of the fat flaps radiated. I have ended up about a small C cup. Well, I was a C and then I lost 12-15 pounds, so they go smaller! Plenty of boob but not too much - nice and perky! ha! 

Good luck! Lots to figure out, but you are on it!  

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2011

You know BD - Spring is right - a consult before hand is a great idea - I was just thinking saving  you a trip, but if it is not an issue for you to travel beforehand - you might want to do just that. Laughlines went beforehand and met with both doctors, I think Amy traveled beforehand for a consult as well, and I know that Macksix did. Start writing your questions down now and don't be afraid to ask anything!

• Nordy
    edited March 2011

PS - I didn't travel beforehand, quite frankly because I had already had multiple consults in various places around the country, and had the answers to most (general) questions answered. Anything else, I was able to ask Liz over the phone or I asked Dr. S during my consult the day before. By the time I finally decided on NOLA, I was physically and mentally exhausted with searching for the right team to do my reconstruction and with battling the insurance company. And for me, NOLA just "felt right" - and whenever I go with my intuition, it is usually a good thing.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2011

Thank you everyone... I am awaiting a call back from Liz to get on the calendar and get a consult appt as well.. I think since I have been told that I don't have enough fat, an in-person consult is the best way to go... I would hate to prep myself withthe pictures telling a not-so-accurate story, get down there and then have them say no...won't work... I think having them grab my fat and say we are good to go is better... and I have a place to stay so even better... just the cost of the flight and a day off of work.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2011

Hi bdavis,

Yes - it sounds like you may get some peace of mind from a consult. I flew there from Seattle for a consult beforehand, and I was glad I did. It was an extra expense, but I felt so much more confident knowing the docs had looked at my body in person and given me their opinions (btw, they gave the same feedback exactly in person as they'd given based on just my photos). As an added bonus I was there at the same time as many of the amazing ladies on this thread (Nordy, Sandy, Minn, Sue) and got to hang with them, see their boobs, and hear their stories. By the time I got home I was rarin' to go!

I am pretty lanky - 5-8", 120lbs, and before my surgery everyone asked skeptically, "How will they find any extra fat on you?" Well, I have 32D breasts from my Hip Flaps now! And I love, love, love them! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how the docs find fat where you didn't think you had any.

One more good piece of advice that someone on this thread gave me is to really get specific with you doc during your pre-op about what you're hoping for in your breasts - e.g. how closely spaced together they are, how important cleavage is to you, the shape you like, etc. I think they always do beautiful breasts from what I've seen, but it's good to feel you're on the same page about little details. My hubby and I actually got into a (friendly) argument during the pre-op about how closely spaced we thought my breasts should be ; ) 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2011

bdavis~ Here in MD I was told that they would only be able to get me to an A maybe pushing it to a small B.  Dr. Sullivan was able to get me to a 32D which fits with my body style. 

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2011

This is Laurie from Seattle.  After my stage one surgery at NOLA for PBMX, I just needed a time out for a while, so I have been absent for several months.   However, I need to let all of you out there heading for surgery to hear my story.   Just recently I returned to NOLA to receive Stage 2.  Now that I am on the other side of the fence I feel I made the right choice.  PBMX and the choice of NOLA for my surgery.  The treatment is excellent from the minute your get off the plane to the moment you get back on to go back home.  Recovery at first seems overwhelming, but as each day goes by it gets easier and easier.  I have to honestly say my new breasts are better than my old. They feel so much better to me.  I no longer have pain- most likely due to my cystic breasts.  Anytime someone would hug me or if I just tapped my breast, it hurt like crazy.  Now, no pain.  Also, they look _ _ _ _  GOOD.  You hear what I am saying? 

I was so stressed about the cancer diagnosis all I could think about was getting the mastectomy over with.  Now, that it is done there are additional benefits I did not even consider before.

1. No more pain

2. I look better than I did before.  I was very very flat breasted and I didn't think that bothered me until I got my new breasts.  Now I feel good about myself and I have bought some new clothes to show off my new look.  Ok, no real low cut shirts of anything like that.

3. No more mammograms (YEAH!)

4. Peace of Mind

Here are some words of advice for anyone headed for surgery-

1. Take a pillow (memory foam is good).  You will use it at lot in your hotel room and the plane ride to and from NOLA.

2. Ask for stool softeners, anesthesia slows things down.

3. Take the pain meds and allow your body to rest after surgery.

4. Walk when you can to promote healing and keep blood clots from forming.

5. Eat protein after surgery for rebuilding / repair.  Also, drink lots of water with electrolytes.

6. Take one day at a time with recovery, each day gets better.  I tried to distract myself and my sister took me on a driving tour of New Orleans.  It was lots of fun. 

7. Wear slip on shoes so you don't have to bend over all the time.

Before I went for Stage 1 surgery I must have been very nervous because my blood pressure went sky high.  Stage 2, I was no longer nervous.  I really confided in my doctor.  Stage 1 is not exactly a walk in the park. You will haveto lay low for a while.  But looking back- it was all worth it.

I wish the best for all those heading for surgery.

Laurie

• Springtime
    edited March 2011

Laurie, Glad to hear from you! Thanks for recounting your story. We are all so glad you are happier with our boobs than you were before. Awesome!

BDavis, I'm like Nordy, I didn't travel for a consult prior either. I did a ton of research on my options at home, and liked NOTHING about what I was hearing. NOTHING. All I heard was how I needed to lower my expectations and how my case was so complicated. I had breast reduction prior, I was going to need rads, and that won't work well with implants, but we really want you to try implants. I didn't have enough fat, (I could get maybe one A cup!! forget bilateral!) I wanted what God provided and that was not what I was going to get (yes, I was told this!)

I saw the NOLA pics, I went to TimTam and compared the results of all different types of methods, I heard the stories of NOLA. When Liz told me my insurance was in network and that they could help me, I felt like I won the lottery. I still do! So not everyone feels they need a consult, but I totally support it!! 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2011

heatherbless I have always been "borderline" anemic, even before BC  My Onc tried putting me on iron and finally did some further testing and found out it was my B12 causing me to be anemic, not my iron.....

Also, I so understand about your sister...I lost mine to BC one month before my first surgery for BC, we didnt even know I had it when she passed. While we were not twins, we were very close.  I always felt like she was my guardian angel and the things i learned researching for her, helped me survive myself.  I try not to feel guilty I am alive, but to live a live that would make her proud and honor her memory.  We all have to deal with loss in our own way.  You are in my prayers.

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited March 2011

Springtime you entered the correct info-Thanks. Ladies I will have the diep can give a run down on what I can expect week 1,2.3. I am so concerned about being down for 6-8 weeks? I have gotten use to doing what I want when i wanna. It has been 2 years since surgery I don't want to go backwards with physical strength.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2011

Ro, you won't be down for 6-8 weeks.  The first week is the toughest, but then you'll gradually regain your strength and endurance, day by day.  Each day, you'll be able to do a bit more and you'll feel a bit stronger.   I was ready to go back to work at about four weeks, despite complications and a flap that nearly died. (No, I did not have my stage I in NOLA---I went there for help after the fact!)  By 6-8 weeks you'll be feeling fairly normal again and can start working out and doing all the things you normally do.  You will feel weak after surgery, but the better the physical condition you are in when you go into surgery, the quicker recovery seems to progress.  You will have to go very easy on yourself and avoid doing too much, but by the time you leave the hospital, you are pretty much self-sufficient.  The only thing that I really needed help with was putting down the footrest with the handle of my recliner.   I was showering and washing my hair while still in the hospital, and although I had family cooking for me, I could have fed myself simple meals.  The surgery seems huge, but remember that it's very superficial--just skin and fat, no muscles are cut.  It is not as painful as you'd imagine either, and if you do feel pain, there are very good drugs. You'll do just fine!

• rogam
    edited March 2011

SandyinParadise--thanks so much this helps! I am about 2 months out from surgery and I have already started to walk/exercise daily to help with the recovery process. How long were the drains in? What type of clothing did you find most comfortable? Did you sleep in bed or recliner? Thanks again for the info.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2011

Ro, I had four breast drains.  Two came out on the third day, and the other two at one week post-op.   I only had one abdominal drain, but in NOLA they use two.  Drains perform a really vital function, so you don't want them taken out early.  The standard in NOLA is less than 20cc of output for at least two consecutive days, and average is probably a week for the first drain and another week or two before the second one comes out.  If you have hip or GAP flaps, the donor site drains tend to be necessary at least a couple of weeks longer. 

I bought soft jersey pajama pants in solids, and button down Hawaiian shirts, which did a great job of camouflaging the drains.  Slippers or flip flops were great because it's tough to reach your feet at first.  Some women say that those grabber tools are great for picking things up from the floor or reaching things high in cabinets, but I had three kids and my husband at home so I didn't need one.  You'll want to avoid childproof medicine caps because twisting lids open can be difficult at first, unless someone is there to help. You cannot lift gallons of milk or water for a few weeks, so if you'll be doing the pouring, make sure you have smaller containers.  I slept in my recliner for a while longer than most because I have scoliosis and I wake up with pain in the morning.  I had no back pain when sleeping in the chair, so I continued for three months.   Maybe some of the other gals who slept in a chair can tell you how long they did, but I know that many of them don't bother with a recliner and simply use lots of pillows in their bed.

It's great that you're walking---keep it up!  Eat well and take your vitamins too.  You'll receive your pre-op instructions soon. 

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2011

Ro~ I didn't have diep but they encourage you to move, move, move to help with the healing process.  The DIEP girls seem to have drains in a lot less time than hip flap ladies.  I think we all heal at our own pace but it is SOOO worth it. 

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited March 2011

Wow!  What a great day to sign back on!  I had been on vacation and have not had much happening with NOLA until a couple of days ago.  And then when I signed on this morning, I find so many helpful posts full of useful information!  Helpful because MY SURGERY HAS BEEN SCHEDULED!  The caps are for excitement and terror!!  

I got a call a few days ago from VIckie in NOLA telling me that my insurance company has approved a gap exception, so while I am still having to pay some, I am not having to pay anywhere near what it would have been, which would have made it impossible for me to go there.  So yay for the women who worked the insurance angles! 

Then yesterday, driving home from vacation, I got a call from Liz, who was working quite late, it seems.  And she told me that my surgery was scheduled for May 11th!  So, Spring, please add me to the calendar for having DIEP on that date!  I am awaiting my package and am anxious to look through it and see what else I should know, and hopefully it will jog my mind as to what other questions I should be asking.  For now, though, a question for the veterans . . .  is it standard to do a phone consult with the Dr.? I forgot to ask Liz.  The docs have already seen pics, obviously, to determine that I have enough flab.  I know the posts above talk about some ladies going in for a consult and others chosing not to, including Spring, but since I am not planning to go down ahead of time, will I or should I have a phone consult?  And if yes, I am not sure what I would ask that hasn't already been answered here, so some suggestions would be very welcome. Or maybe I would just say - Hey, please make me some nice breasts, not too big, not too small, not too firm, not too saggy.  

~Amy 

PS  KathrynLA - We will probably overlap by a couple of days, if all goes well and according to schedule, so let me know if you want to meet up.  I don't have any arrangements made yet, but should within the next couple of weeks. 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited March 2011

Hi Kaitsmom, I'd love to meet up while we are both there!  I arrive late afternoon of May 16th and my surgery is on the 18th.  We're staying at the Monteleone (sp?) in the French Quarter. I met a few others when I was there for stage one and it's great to have that face-to-face connection.

Rogam - still hoping we can meet up too.  I fly out the afternoon of the 24th - so we'll have some overlap too.

Can't wait (and can't believe I'm saying this!) to get back there for Stage 2!

See you soon.

Kathryn

• Springtime
    edited March 2011

So glad there will be some overlaps! It is so nice to have other women down there when you go. Makes it feel so much less lonely and scary!

Kaitsmom, I entered your date above - let me know if I need to change anything.

Ginnie, those were nice thoughts you had for Heather. 

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited March 2011

SandyInParadise, Thank you for that calm, informative and so very very reassuring post. I do not have my date yet because I can not figure out about how to fit in the "down" time. I've been to NOLA for a consult, had my insurance approved, and I guess the ball is pretty much in my court!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2011

Hi Ladies...I am going to NOLA for a May 16 consult and surgery is scheduled for July 21... with Drs D and S...

• rogam
    edited March 2011

Kathryn I hope we get to see each other also...this is a great board and a great sisterhood.

Congrats Katesmom!!!

Thanks for the info Jamieh

Bdavis you will be in New Orleans on my birthday..have fun for me!

• Nordy
    edited March 2011

Oh, you all are going to have so much fun down there at the same time! It makes it so much nicer!

BD - good for you!!!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2011

HI Amy,

The doctors don't do phone consults normally.  Liz and the other nurses will usually answer your questions via phone or email, checking with the doctors first for answers if they need to.  The doctors are so busy doing surgeries and pre-op/post-op appointments that they just don't have time for phone calls.

Jerusha, glad to have helped you.  I'm in the middle of a huge project at work and am being forced to depend upon a web site programmer who is unapologetically working at a snail's pace while I am freaking out about my site.  I've had a lot of offers of help, but my site uses proprietary language and only highly specialized programmers are able to work on it.  I shed some tears today....hoping for a better day tomorrow.  We are treating our employees to a taco cart for lunch, so I guess that helps make it a better day.  It has to be!  The fact that I was able to write something which helped you ladies is pretty amazing, considering my state of mind this week.  I recently told my employees I will never move the business again, and one of them said to me today that she guesses I'll never have the site redesigned again either.  She's probably right---I'll retire first!

Congrats to all of you with upcoming surgeries.  I don't usually like to say "good luck" because "congratulations" seems more appropriate---you've chosen so wisely and you are having your surgeries with the best team of surgeons in the world! 

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2011

Sandy~ Let me know if you need someone else to help.  I have an excellent computer geek. 

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited March 2011

bdavis, I will still be in NO since I will just be 5 days out from surgery.  I'm pretty sure we will stay in a hotel near the hospital, either Garden District or the Quarter.  Let me know if you want to stop by!  Mind if I ask why you are going down for the consult (though I think it is a smart thing to do)?  I am starting to think I should have scheduled one as well.

Thanks, Sandy.  I sort of figured the docs were too busy, and really, I feel like Liz and the others are so prepared to answer questions.  I just hope I am not missing something by not going for a consult (other than an opportunity for a fun trip!). I just don't seem to have the energy for one more trip, though, and am hoping I can get some back before the surgery.  And my grown daughter is coming home from overseas for a month long visit starting next week, and I don't want to miss a day of it!  Hey, your life sounds crazy!  What kind of business do you have?  And kudos for making the trip all the way to NO in the midst of everything . . . 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2011

I need a computer geek who will get my website and product pages on the first page of google searches.... or help me to.... for a reasonable price.  If anyone knows anyone, PM me!  Sandy, sorry you are having so many frustrations with your revamp/growing pains.  Hopefully it'll all be worth it in the end. 

I second and third what everyone else is saying about having a surgery buddy from this board down there at the same time.  I can't tell you what a huge help that was to me (thanks Suzanne, see you this weekend in NYC!) Yay! 

Rogam, Kaitsmom, and the other newbies (I'm rushing and can't go back and get names yet)!!  Congratulations!  I know this is all very scary but try to lean on the testimonials of everyone in here...  we speak the truth... you are going to the best place in the world for your reconstruction.  No worries on the lack of an in person or phone consult with the docs.  I didn't have either.. just sent photos and Jeanine and Liz talked me through what they thought was best for me.. and it didn't change once I got there.  They know what they are doing, even from afar. :)  Good luck to the April and May girls!! You'll do great!! (and... enjoy the warm weather.. it's snowing in Indiana today :()

• Springtime
    edited March 2011

Bdavis, I added your dates to the list above, let me know if anything needs to be changed. 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2011

bdavis, sounds like you have already decided about the consult. I am another one here that had one. I was going to be on the Gulf Coast anyway for spring break so decided to go over there while I was in the area. My gut feeling before the consult was that I wanted to go to NOLA, but the consult completely cemented that and took away any lingering doubts. Like many others on this thread I had spoken with numerous skeptical people, including 2 plastic surgeons who were convinced NOLA was a fly by night, just there to make money operation. So I would have gone there anyway but the consult was very very reassuring! And I agree that meeting in person women I met on this board was as helpful as tlaking with Dr D. For me, there is just something about talking to and seeing others who have done this that gave me the courage to do it too.

I was just thinking the same thing that Sandy and Holtbolt wrote--congratulations to all that have surgeries scheduled.  I know it is scary but it is so worth it!

• Nordy
    edited March 2011

I didn't have a consultation ahead of time either... and nothing changed from what Liz had said over the phone, UNLESS I wanted to go bigger than a large B - in which case Dr. S said he would have to stack my flaps. I really didn't want bigger than that (although the bra size I wear is a 34D - but definitely not what a 'real' D cup would be - just think because my torso is smaller that that is how it works!) And yes, congratulations is in store!!! They are the best and the hospital is spotless!

• Nordy
    edited March 2011

Sandy - You KNOW I am thinking about you today and hoping that someone can light a fire under your programmer's *ss...

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited March 2011

I was wondering about fat necrosis. I'm almost 10 weeks out from stage 1 and of course was very black and blue afterwards...but then it started to fade and I thought it was almost gone...but now I'm noticing some light black and blue and bruising again on my breasts. Maybe it's just that I still had light bruising and part of it is going away and what's left is showing...or that it's something else.  (You can tell I'm starting to look at them a lot more closely now!)

Just wondering if anyone knows what this could be.

Thanks,

Kathryn