Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2011

Hi NOLA ladies!  This sure has been a busy thread!  Sounds like there has been a lot of ladies getting wonderful soft, warm, and jiggly additions to your bodies!!!  I am so happy for all of you.  I wish you continued healing! 

I am one of Dr. Massey's Charleston girls and I thought I would post a question here that I knew several of you could give me your advice.  Next month, I am going to Charleston to complete my reconstruction process.  I had uni-lateral stacked DIEP last May.  My tummy incision came open and had to heal from the inside out.  I had 2A surgery in July and 2B surgery in Sept.  Next month I am planning to get scar revision, more lipo and my tattoo.  My question is, should I ask for plication?  Dr. Massey said it would add an additional night in the hospital.  I am 50 years old and have had 3 children.  I know I have no muscle tone at all in my tummy because my muscles are so far separated.  Any advice??????

Sandy B.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2011

My path report came back!  Only the one node had cancer.  Wonderful news!  So no radiation but I will need chemo.  My cancer breast had more cancer than they anticipated but thank God it's all out.  I'm relieved no rads and that no more than the one node was involved.  I don't know how many nodes were removed (Stollier told me not worry!  it's not important now! those who know him can just hear him saying it) but my arm is pretty numb and I'll have to be very careful w/lymphodema.  Ah well.  I'll take a closer look at the path report at my appt this afternoon.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited May 2011

ciader8, that is EXCELLENT news....the chemo I hope is a breeze for you as well as it was for me. The path report should say how many nodes were removed? My chemo was done before the node removal which I'm kind of sick about now because I can't really tell about the involvement. Anyway, I had 22 nodes removed, all clear but like I said it was after chemo so who really knows.

As for the plication - a great question I was wondering myself about. My upper belly is still pretty big some weight some from having a kid, some who knows what lol..Anyway I was hoping for a ton of lipo there at stage 2B, but would it benefit me more for plication? I have NO clue??? I'm sure Dr S will know exactly what needs done at the pre-op but I'd like to know ahead of time kind of what to plan for.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited May 2011

Congrats Cider8--this sounds like excellent news!  So happy things are going well for you.

Tigsun - happy to hear things are progressing.  I'm one week ahead of you and happy to report that I feel "almost" back to normal.  Every day I reach a new milestone.  Today my milestone is to go to the movies...my mom and I are seeing "Bridesmaids"--my only hope is that I don't laugh so hard I hurt myself!

I admit to having no idea what plication is--looked it up and didn't get a more accurate picture.  I was under the impression that some lipo was done stage 2 and I'm looking forward to that as my lower belly is now much flatter than my upper belly.  Is plication something more extreme?   Can someone explain in the context of this surgery?  forgive my ignorance...

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011
    denouement - you and I are in the same boat. I think the plication is the tightening down or sewing together the stomach muscles? But I don't know when it's determined that's needed vs. lipo or along with lipo?
  • dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2011

Cider8 soooo happy for your report...hope to get same call from Dr. Stolier too...well my 1st night at homewood with DH last night was harder than I expected...alot of crying by me and alot of fustration for hubby...those pain pills really throw me for a loop..so I figured during daytime I will only take 1/2..still haven't gone to bathroom..so asked hubby to p/u something at drug store to help me along the way...just had question about binders...did you put them over drain tubes or hang drain tubes down and put binder on and then drains back? my stomach drains are very low and sensitive and I hate touching at all..I might ask a nurse to come by to help after I can go to the bathroom...i will then venture out to walk, as pacing around my room is getting old and hubbie is prob sick of being inside..

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2011

Dawn I have extra smooth move tea if you want some packets.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

dsnydawn, what pain meds are you on? Stage 1 I took percoset, worked ok, but I had to take 2 for it to work. So stage 2 I asked for something different. I got demerol (sp?) it was horrific. I couldn't stay awake to save my life, if I was awake and tried to talk I didn't make sense, couldn't remember what I was even talking about, and it sounded like someone else talking. I could only take them for about 2 days then I said bag it and took tylenol. Granted stage 1 is more intense, but maybe call them and ask for vicodin or something other than what you're taking. What kind of binder do you have? I didn't have one for stage 1, for stage 2 I had the black "DOM" outfit with zippers up the sides that went down to just above my knees. If that's what you're talking about I had only one drain after stage 2, and it was way low down by my pubic area, and he fed the drain tube out through the opening in my DOM and then I had the little pouch to hold it in. If it's pulling or hurting, try putting 1 or 2 of those thick ABD pads over the drain where it exits your incision and then put the binder on?

• denouement
    edited May 2011

dsnydawn - i put the binder on and let the low drain tube hang down below then looped them back up.  Did they tell you to pick up some neosporin plus to put around the drain tube to help numb the area?  that helped me out a lot--put it on after you do the betadine swabs--make sure it says "PLUS" as that is the one that has the numbing agent.  Did they show you how to cut the square pads to pad around the drain tube opening?  It's sort of like an "M" and then it pads all around where the drain leaves you...that helped me a lot too...let me know if you need more info.  It gets better!  what is your output?  when is your follow up? 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

The pads do really help, and I think the binder actually made it easier for me. It held them in place and there wasn't all the pulling every time I got up and moved around. It DOES get better like denouement said.

• denouement
    edited May 2011

I also second using the smooth move tea--i'm still drinking it every day to make sure I stay regular and it's helping alot.  Make sure to let the tea steep about 10-15 minutes before drinking (as per the instructions on the box) for maximum effect!

• SAMayoFL
    SAMayoFL Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2011

Bdavis, if you decide not to have the mastectomy does that mean you will not have the DIEP surgery?

Susan

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2011

I got back from my appt.  I got 3 drains out, so I just go home with one tomorrow.  I had 21 nodes on the cancer side taken out, with only the one positive.  Dr S said in the future patients like me will probably not have as many nodes taken out.  I think the one node had microscopic? or very little cancer cells in the node.  Good for whomever is next!  Dr S said he did something new with me getting the veins out of the muscle.  I have no idea what he's talking about but he said I should an easier time recovering.  I'll take it!  

Dr S doesn't want me using a binder until after my drain is out.  I guess the Drs have different ideas on binding.  As soon as it's out I'll wear it a lot!

Dr S also told me I'll probably 6 rounds of chemo--so 4/12 months chemo?  Then another 3 months before stage 2.  I don't know how quickly after this surgery I'll start chemo.  I'm eager to talk to my onc now.  I'm hoping to get the surgery in by the end of this calendar year.

I also cannot believe my surgery took 4 hours!  Simply amazing. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Sounds like you're doing great, things are moving along well!! :) I know after stage 1 and my drains came out he wanted me to wear some big binder thing with velcro?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2011

I cannot wait until they are not removing nodes with no cancer. Hurry up already!

Plication (Sandy B.) I had it just from the navel area down, and it is not quite 18 months and I am still recovering from it. It is a big major friggin deal. As Sandy K once said to me, "I like the way it looks; I don't like the way it feels". This is also my opinion. For me, I wish I had skipped it. I didn't really need it and it is a major biggie. There are others here who are glad they had it so you should hear from them also. Like Minnesota. 

The bottom line is the doc should be able to tell you if you are a good candidate, that is, will get a really improved cosmetic outcome because of it. If they are "iffy" on the benefits of it, I would skip it if it was me (hind site is 20/20). It is major abdominal stuff and takes a while to recover from. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2011

All you STAGE 1 NOLA ladies. SO after stage 1, are they putting your body in a binder / dominatrix type thing anymore? Or is that just after stage 2 now??? Fill us in!!!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

My problem spring time is the whole area above the belly button. So hopefully just a big extra shot of lipo will do the trick. Below my bellow button is nice and flat.

I had my stage 1 in September. I got the white binder, with 3 big sections that you wrap around and velcro. After the drains came out I could wear it 24/7 for a week or ? I honestly didn't mess with it. Stage 2 of course I had the full black "dom".

• nowords
    nowords Member Posts: 70
    edited May 2011

Has anyone read the article regarding lower ab and thigh lipo and fat cells returning in other places?

Would be interesting to hear from anyone years past surgery where lipo was done to see if they notice that the fat showed up in the upper abs, arms etc.

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2011

Dr. Massey did a great job taking care of my upper tummy my last surgery.  Since then, I have lost 25 pounds, which helped a lot!  My tummy below my navel is not real big, just a little pudgy.  It is really flat considering what it looked like before my DIEP...LOL!!!  I have been doing ab workouts, but cannot tell any difference because my ab muscles are pulled apart (thanks to my 3 wonderful pregnancies!).  Thought if plication would help, I might go for it.  Thanks for your input Spring.  18 months and still not recovered...wow, that gives me something to think about!   Hopefully, some other plication ladies will give me their advice too!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Thanks for the hope bennetts1, That's my only real problem area still. Granted that's how my body was before but it fit the rest of me ya know?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2011

Hi Ladies... so I had my consults and remain in a confused state...

Dr Dellacroce said that i do not have enough fat in tummy or hips to use either alone... so I either would need to use both or use abs and add an implant later... so something to think about.

And Dr Stolier said that he recommends I do radiation and not do the MX... but again its my choice... He also ran a test (running numbers) to determine what my odds are or were that other nodes were positive since they only took the SN and one other and I had microscopic involvement... and it is or was pre-chemo 4%. He said I should only have MX to avoid future cancer not to avoid recurrance- that the lumpectomy and radiation is ample guns to combat that in my case.

So, I will go home tomorrow and have major discussions with DH and MO and make a final call this week. I have also asked for a second opinion from the Cancer Institute of NJ... but my clock is ticking... SIGH

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited May 2011

Just back from DC and off to surgery in the AM. Please say a prayer for me that they don't find any cancer in my ovaries.  Send + thoughts starting at 12PM (PST). If I feel up to it tomorrow night I'll post. Hope you ladies in NOLA are having a drink on me 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Will do Kathryn, you're going to do awesome and can't wait to hear the good news :)

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2011

Kathryn, I'll defintely be thinking about you and praying for you tomorrow!  I hope you do post tomorrow night.

Re plication: I don't know why, but when Dr. D revised my abdominal incision last October, he mentioned tightening up some fascia and I didn't ask about it because I had other concerns that were more important.   So, I guess I've had plication twice.  For the first 3-4 months, it felt good.  The past two months, I've noticed that there is scar tissue above my umbilicus and my back has seriously been killing me.  My trainer is working with me to do stretching three times a week, and I do it on my own.  I may see if I can work with a scar therapist at our local hospital--they have an amazing burn unit and I know that they do that sort of therapy.  I'm hoping that it can be broken up with some manipulation.  I am doing what I can, but am not feeling any relief yet. I think that I'm probably at the peak time for scar formation and hopefully it will soften up soon, but I am pretty uncormfortable right now and most concerned about my back. Granted, I have had a lot of surgery (therefore probably have more scar tissue than most) and I don't think most women mind having had it done.  I'm just hoping that I get past this stage sometime soon---hoping that it is just a stage in the healing process.

• denouement
    edited May 2011

thanks for the info.  Does anyone have an idea as to what criteria would make one a candidate for plication vs. lipo?  Dr. Dr only mentioned lipo for me for Stage 2 but I'm wondering if this is something he will mention at the last minute.  Curious to do more research on this...

I'm 12 days post op and I can report that I have the two sectioned white binder with the velcro.  I'm tasked to wear it when I am upright and/or out and about.  I'm told when my last drain comes out (which should be tomorrow) that i need to wear if for another week.  Does anyone have a pic of the black dom I can see?  Preparing for stage 2 now and I do best with visual aids.  :-)

Also happy to report that 12 days post op I've stopped taking my percocets and switched to motrin.  So far so good!

best of luck Kathryn!  We are all pulling for you...please keep us posted on how things go.  will be thinking of you tomorrow...

bdavis - I hear good things about the stacked flap and it sounds like you are a candidate for that.  Sounds like you have big decisions to make...that is definitey the hardest part...good luck!  Keep us posted on what you decide to do...

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

When I get to my computer in an hour or so I'll send the link to the black girdle / DOM outfit unless someone beats me to it.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited May 2011
    I'll take that challenge Dragon :)  I believe the "dom" is this:  http://designveronique.com/cgi-bin/ic/dv2/853.html
  • heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2011

I absolutey HATE THAT DOM GARMENT!!  AND WILL BURN IT WHEN I AM DONE!

HEATHER

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2011

Hi all...feeling much better today..the prune juice & tea did the trick (sorry if tmi) last night so put on my binder..on Dr D's discharge he wants you to wear binder( had choice of two type one that is like a one piece wrap with velcro and one that is more structured and looks like girdle with back and 3 sections that velcro like dragon talked about) I was kind of worried about drain tubes ,but it really helped me talk a walk ,slow ,but a walk and when I took it off ...wow I felt like I just lost all my stomach muscles...Kathryn I will be thinking about you today too...As far as the plication I remember Dr D telling me that I was a perfect candidate as I have had 3 csections and being I'm only 5'2" and my biggest was 9lb10oz(I could put a cafeteria tray on my stomach and it would have stayed) so those muscle were so comprimised ,that plication would I guess bring those muscles back together...his exact words were "we are going to go back in time" Just after stage 1 there is a big difference with that area..Betsy, geez just when you think I get an answer, it's still grey area!! Well you are doing everything you need to make the best decision for you ..Amy hope doing well ..and Dana thanks for all your post op posts it really keeps me going!!!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Funny, I am one of the sick few who LOVE the DOM :) I'd wear it every day if I could, lol!!