Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2011

Hi Sandy... Thanks for your input... Just to clarify about me, I had a lumpectomy in Dec... so if I had rads and MX, I wouldn't need to do the MX now cause my tumor has been removed...The MX for me in that case would be prophylactic.

And.. a micromet in the lymph node is not the same as a met in the bones or liver... is it a trace amount that made its way to the lymph node... and has been removed. So even though I say I had one positive node, it was microscopic (less serious than a full-fledged positive node).

I am here in NOLA now, and meeting tomorrow with doctors, so we'll see what I think after those meetings... I have a hard time that EVERY doctor I have met so far says i should do rads and don't need the MX... And they all also say if I choose the MX then I don't need rads.

SIGH...

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2011

Thinking about Amy (Kaitsmom). 

Thinking about the rest of you recovering too!

Good luck tomorros, BDavis, on your consult. Let us know! 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited May 2011

Heather, I'm thrilled for you. I know it's been a horrible year. Your tribute to your sister is so nice. She'd be happy for you, I'm certain!

Amy, my word. I'm with Nordy--chest tube? If not, it's a small pneumothorax. When you are stronger and feeling less overwhelmed, you'll manage that car ride fine. Split it up into at least two days, and get out and walk every hour or so. And take pain pills, pillows, anything to keep you comfy. You must have given them a scare, and I can only imagine your stress right now.

Hope everyone else continues to heal well, and good luck for those of you having consults!

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited May 2011

kaitsmom - I'm so so sorry about your complications. It's easy to forget the risks of every surgery. I'm hoping the worst is behind you and you are feeling better each day! Although the driving does sound overwhelming, it will be good that you can control the trip, stopping and walking as often as you need. Have lots of pillows and a water bottle. You can do it!

bdavis - I know you are torn. Keep in mind that it is not surprising that the doctors share one viewpoint. The current philosophy is to recommend MX only if there are no choices. You have a choice and therefore you can opt to avoid the MX right now. You need to consider which decision helps you sleep at night. It's deeply personal. I hope tomorrow's consults will help you decide.

I'll be flying in tomorrow morning. My consult with Dr. S is in the afternoon. Betsy, I hope I'll see you tomorrow night. We can compare noted on our consults!

Best to everybody else healing at NOLA!!!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited May 2011

Oh no Amy! Adding my prayers, healing energy and cyber hugs to everyone else's. Please keep us posted. Just think about healing now, not the travel home.

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited May 2011

Just checking in real quick to say thanks everyone for all your prayers.  I will PM some of you later or tomorrow when I am a little less exhausted.  So the pnuemothorax is small enough that they felt that I did not need a chest tube.  And they have released me back to heaven.  I mean St. Charles.  You have no idea how this has helped my mood and I feel like there might be light at the end of this dark tunnel after all.  I just arrived back here 2 hours ago and was met with a warm welcome and good food.  Feels like home.  I am back in my lovely room, wrapped in my lovely robe. And ready for a nap.  I will write more later but just wanted to let you all know where I was.  Anyone still here?  Oh well, after two days on the cardiac care unit, I am enjoying the quiet here.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2011

That is good news!  rest up.  I am not there but i will see you when you come to the hotel.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited May 2011

Thank goodness Amy! Great news that you are OK and back at St Charles. I am so sorry you have gone through this, but am also glad to hear they took no chances and sent you to a cardiac care unit.

• ref
    edited May 2011

kaitsmom - congrats and relax!

• AnneW
    edited May 2011

yay, Amy, back where you belong. Make sure you use your spirometer a lot--don't need you getting a pneumonia on top of everything else!

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited May 2011

Praise God!!! Yay........................

• ref
    edited May 2011

AnneW - you are right about that spirometer. At my best moment I am terrible at that thing! I've saved each one from all my surgeries as a reminder.

• Springtime
    edited May 2011

Amy, glad to hear you are back at St. Charles where I a sure they will treat you like a Royal Queen!

Another vote for that spirometer.... We love you!!!

Hey, if you have not had the grilled cheese sandwich yet, ask for that yet. I am sure there are super healing powers in that thing. I only thank God I had a chance to experience it before I gave up dairy! ha!!! (Have it with tomatoe soup!!) Just a suggestion!!! You deserve to indulge!!!

xoxoxoxo Spring. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2011

Spring... You gave up DAIRY??? I am so sorry... LOLOLOLOL. I love, love, love my yogurts (I have a couple of favorites) and don't think I could live without... well, I could but it wouldn't be quite so enjoyable! PS -PM'ing you re: estriol

Kaitsmom - Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad to hear you are doing better and hope you continue to heal well. 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited May 2011

Ok ladies... not sure what's up if it's the lack of ovaries?? Not related to NOLA so much but, I had my ovaries out almost 2 years ago. The last couple days I noticed I get super warm at times. I was so embarassed, went on a bowling date and I was red, hot and sweaty and it was just bowling??? WTH? :(

• Nordy
    edited May 2011
    LOL - sounds like a hot flash to me!!! Or maybe you really loved bowling... after all, you do get to stare at your date's backside almost the entire date... Laughing
  • dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2011

Amy I'm so happy your back at St Charles..just left after lunch today..they let me stay over an extra night because I was still a little tired and hey why not it is sooo nice & quiet...I have been chkng the boards waiting to get an update...sleep well and we will see you guys soon..love dawn

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

He is pretty hot, but a little embarassing for me, good thing it was NOT our 1st date. Anything you can take or do for those?

Amy you've had quite the ordeal, poor thing :( I hope you get to feeling better soon! I 2nd the vote on the grilled cheese, I hate that and the oatmeal often there!

I know at stage 2 I was in there 1 night, but a friend of mine asked to stay a 2nd night and they let her. So maybe I'll see if I can squeak another night in :)

• Nordy
    edited May 2011

Dragon - For ME... and for a few other people I know, the Phytoestrogen cream by the company Emerita has worked wonders for me. I think they are either an Oregon or California based company. Head out to Whole Foods or New Seasons to find it. If you don't mind waiting for it, I would get it from Vitacost.com. It is half the price.

• Nordy
    edited May 2011

PS - there is a New Seasons in Lake Oswego... unsure of the Whole Foods location that may be close to you!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2011

I was there for longer during stage 2 thanks to having my tummy stitched.  I hurt like crazy but it was worth every pain. :)

• AnneW
    edited May 2011

Dragonfly, I had my ovaries out at age 46. Ever since I had a cortisone injection in my spine last November, I've been having wicked hot flashes. I had practically NO hot flashes till then. It's been hell on my sleep.

I use an EstRing, which is low dose, for vaginal atrophy. I don't really want anything more systemic than that. But this is maddening!

• Springtime
    edited May 2011

Anne, do you think the EstRing is safe? I thought is used Estrodoil vs Estiol (weaker). 

Dragon, that sounds like a HOT FLASH to me too! Surprised it took you this long to get them!!! :)  I eat Soy products and Flax seed, and both of these lessen my hot flashes. 

Nordy, PM'd you back with my Estriol Web resources!!!  

Okay, yes I gave up dairy. Cheese is what I miss so much, and soy cheese, blech, not the same. I read the book, "Your LIfe In Your HAnds" By Dr. Jane Plant and it convinced me to give it up. HOWEVER, I waited years to read that friggin book!! I knew once I read it I would give it up, so I put if off LOL LOL.  I gave up everything else first. Now, the very last thing I am working on, is SALT. Mostly because of LE. Nordy, have you noticed that salt can impact your LE flairs? I am starting to think mine has been good because I've really been watching the salt. 

Sorry, None of this is about NOLA!!!! Thinking of you ladies. Those of you at the Homewood, that is our FAV NOLA place, like a second home to us after 4 stays. Enjoy the breakfasts and the "light suppers". Get extra at breakfast to take back to your room and your fridge, and you'll have lunch too!!! (Saves a lot of $$ on food!). Well, you do need to eat out too sometimes!!!! 

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2011

Ladies, I wrote a long post last night and lost it!  I've been feeling so much better, spirit-wise.  I'm staying in a double shotgun rental house.  The owner next door cooked for me tonight!  I think he's going to cook for me the rest of my stay.  He's a nutritionist and chef.  Fantastic.  I went down to Jackson Square today for mass and Cafe Du Monde.  Then I took a 4 hour nap.  

Denoument I didn't get your card but I will ask for it tomorrow when I'm there for my appt.  My appt is Monday at 1:15.  I had my surgery on Tuesday and I really hope I can get my path report tomorrow.   

Kaitsmom, I'm so glad you are doing better and back at St Charles.  Everyone there is wonderful!  It's amazing how spirited everyone is.  I swear they'll sometimes act like it's a party!  Right before I went under for surgery the docs and everyone were smiling and laughing all crowded around me.  And then the docs doing the rounds still all laughing and smiling.  Crazy! 

I need to up the Miralax.  I'm so constipated yet I'm well hydrated and eating plenty of fiber.  Ugh.  I hear gurgling so I'm not in trouble.  The perc is giving me such nightmares.  Apparently I've been talking in my sleep a lot.  My mom can't figure out what I'm saying, though.  I am staying on the dosage every 4 hours otherwise my spirits drop before I realize the pain has increased.   I'll be so glad to be off the drugs so I can get 'regular' again.

Sleep well everyone! 

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited May 2011

KAITSMOM-So sorry to read about your complications and so glad that you were transferred back to St. Charles today. I hope that you feel better each day!

Healing wishes for Tigsun, DysnDawn, Cider8,  and Jerusha too. It sounds like your each doing great!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

I know sorry for over taking the thread, but I knew some of you could relate to the hot flashes. So I will look into that cream Nordy. Are you going to be around this weekend? I don't have my girl and was thinking I could head up that way to go to Whole Foods or New Seasons to check it out. As e for soy products, I've not tried those at all. Maybe I should look into those too while I'm checking this out. It wasn't so much uncomfortable, because I could go outside and be ok. But man I was so embarassed! Normally at night I sleep with my window open so that helps.I would much rather try these natural things.

cider8, how did you hear about the rental house? That would be a good alternative to a hotel, how long are you there?

• Nordy
    edited May 2011

Erika - I will be around. Let me know if you want to meet up!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

I'd love to, we could do lunch or something on Saturday? I pm'ed you.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited May 2011

Yay Kaitsmom - so happy to hear things are back on track for you and you have overcome this obstacle.  Thanks so much for sharing your story--one of the thing that helped me most of all when preparing for my surgery was reading these boards and hearing everything - the good, the bad, and the ugly!  We need to hear it all when making decisions so thanks again - and so sorry you had to experience issues.

Tigsun - how are you doing 4 days post op?  How's the Homewood treating you?  Back feeling any better?

Cider8 - i wasn't sure of your real name but I left the card at the nurses station at SCSH--hopefully they still have it there!

Best wishes to everyone recovering!  I'm now 12 days post op and feeling better and better every day.  Moving around a lot and doing a lot for myself--so much that I am sending my mom home a week early.  There are still things I can't do (reach things up high, lift heaving things, be away from a bed or a pain pill more than 4 hours, etc.) but it's still totally manageable and not nearly as hard as I expected.  Looking forward to that ~3 week mark where I hear people start to feel like themselves again...I've also been bikini shopping online :-)

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2011

Things are going welll. Yeah for drugs! I am taking a pill every 4 hours. Even when I am sleeping. Today I didn't do much. Walking I the hallway and taking a shower is all I could do. I try to move a little every two hours.

I have 3 drains left. Can't wait for them to be gone. I think my remaining breast drain can go. Nothing coming out. I will call the center in the morning.

I keep myself going knowing things will be back to normal soon.

The hoodie I bought from the gap that has the insides pockets still has the theft device on. Lol my friend is taking it back tomorrow to get it removed.

All is good at homewoood. I am sleeping on the couch because it is easier for me to get on and off then the high bed.

I am on the way to recovery!