Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2011

Mark, please give Kathryn a special hug from me. I know that she is happy to be home with her little guys and big guy as she recuperates :)

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2011

thanks for the update Mark and keeping + thoughts for good results!!!!

• Jerusha
    edited May 2011

Thats a fun book, so hopefully you can read a little next week. It is lovely, cool-ish weather - in the 70s. Button down stuff is easier but you will be able to pull loose Ts over your head. Tops should be on the long side as you will have a pouch for drains that youll want to cover. The bra is black and pretty hi cut with wide straps. I never liked tight pants on my formerly poofy tummy,so I already had lots of drawstring waists, fold-over "yoga"style, and elastic waists. These all work, but lightweight and loose and soft is good. I seem to be doing well with my regiular bikini panties -- the kind with a few inches of string on the sides. These sit under my incision. My pants are closer to my waist ( to the prior disapproval of my teenage daughters) and are above the incision. This arrangement has been perfect. Dressings are sort of in between. Bring a little liquid soap to wash stuff out. They give you 2 bras and 2 drain pouches. When i had my shower on d. 3 the nurse washed out the first bra and put me in the second. They dry overnight so it is nice to have clean ones to change into. Since you are not going to a hotel, Im sure there will be soap around.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2011

Kathryn/Mark - Hurray!!!! I am so glad to hear that all went well! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2011

Blessings to Kathryn.

Cheri from the Center called me and we talked briefly.  I was still very upset at the the time and was just waiting for my plane.  Apparently my mom, who was with me, was very upset about my being held after going through the scanner and then pat down.  Mom talked to Katie and then I guess Cheri, so Cheri called me later.  Cheri said they don't have anything to do with what TSA decides to do and wanted to be sure I was OK.  She said the Center has offered to educate the TSA officers about what they might see on patients, but they declined the offer.  I rarely fly, so I was shocked that they would need to pat down my breasts!  My new tender breasts!  I hope the Center will maybe tell patients that there's a chance of getting pat down, depending on who they get.  It was such a clusterfuck to me:  I'm in a wheelchair, they had me in one line, then moved me to the scanner line.  I had to walk on the tile floor in my ted hose--I was worried about slipping.  I got through that  and then a lady wants to pat my breast and that's when I said oh, no I just had surgery I have a letter (I thought the letter was my golden ticket).  I must have had 10 people talking to me at once.  AFter I was waiting a little while, still pleasant just waiting for it to be cleared up I asked how come I need to be pat if I went through the scanner.  Then they told me whoever looks at the scanner flagged me and I surmised it must be my gauze pads.  And at this time they wouldn't let me have any of my things back, not even my shoes.  On lady said I couldn't even sit back down in the wheelchair but another guy said it's OK.  Finally they told me the letter didn't mean shit to them (well, my language) the security supv said I can't get through without a pat down  or I could go in a private room to undress, including taking off the lymphedema wrap.  Once I realized that I just melted down.  I really weighed how I'd feel about undressing: feeling violated was stronger than wanting to stick it to them to look at my bruising and wounds.  I consented to the pat down.  The lady told me to calm down it was just her job, treating me as if I were hostile, not with any compassion.  She asked me if I wanted to go in a private room for the pat down and when I said no just do it out here she said it's just a question maam.  There was one TSA agent who did treat me with compassion, telling me how his mom is a 10 year breast cancer survivor.  In the end he handed me a paper towel for my tears.  I didn't take it or even look at him.  They don't give a shit.  It doesn't matter to them that there isn't any medical protocol; it's one size fits all depending on who is working.  My husband and a few others are telling me to just let it go, that it was simply my tipping point with all the cancer and surgery stress.  But it pisses me off and I don't think it's right.  I'm just going to have to write it all out to get it out of my system, decide if I will complain and pray that God helps me let it go.

And I'm doing the 10hr drive for the rest of my surgeries. 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2011

Cider, I'm so shocked by what happened to you!   My daughter is not willing to fly now because of stories like yours.  I honestly never had any problem with the TSA in NOLA, despite flying out of there with drains three times. Last time, I showed them my letter from the Center, and they conferred with a supervisor, then let me walk through with my shoes and jacket on, which amazed me.  I did have one very negative experience with one of them on one occasion about a year ago....I was leaving NOLA alone and as my bag came out of the x-ray machine, the agent told me "Oh, miss, your flight was yesterday---you missed it!".  I just about had a heart attack until he laughed at me and told me he was joking.  I actually asked for a supervisor and reported him. NOT funny at all.  How sad that the NOLA TSA don't care to know more about the Center's work and how to help make the trip home easier for us.

Glad that all of you ladies are doing okay now, and that Kathryn's surgery is over. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2011

Cider. I am SO very sorry about what happened to you. SO sorry. You know, I have two very close friends who are pilots and they always tell me how TSA is such a joke. It is incredible that we have come to this... but they are not allowed to profile so it is fair game to search anyone. HOWEVER, the fact that you obviously just had surgery and were so visibly upset  - and they didn't give sh*t is completely ridiculous. Again, I am so very, very sorry... I remember getting patted down in Texas when I still had prosthetics. I asked the girl if she wanted me to take them out of my bra... she refused! But it would have been fun to send them down the belt through the scanner!!! Then rather than putting them back in my bra, I could have just put them on my kids' heads and let them run around through the airport with their little booby yamikas... heehee..  Hang in there - Lots and lots of healing hugs to you!

• dsnydawn
    edited May 2011

cider I'm sorry you had to go through that...I go home tomorrow and will keep my fingers crossed.  Did you have drains in still?  I just can't imagine a pat down with my drains ,its still very sore.  Again I'm so sorry and was crying reading your post and so pissed off !! Well I hope you are doing better and I'll let you know how it goes...will also have my check up today and I'll let them (at clinic) know that I'm very disappointed in being led to believe we had no worries...I know it's not there fault but maybe will make them reach out to the "higer ups" and get a conversation going at least for Nola airport...ttys

• Jerusha
    edited May 2011

Cider ... No wonder you are feeling like its hard to let go of this. I can't either! I am so distressed and angry about this... Grrr. I had a fit here in my hotel room just telling my husband about it. He is ALREADY telling me to calm down, and we dont leave till friday. I am so sorry you had to endure such an intrusion.

• dsnydawn
    edited May 2011

Jerusha...My husbands is doing the same thing...well he already suggested that he will wrap my arm after getting through security.  so if I do have to undress,he wouldn't have to do again and maybe not having it on will help?? I'm just worried about the drains, maybe I can pretend to be pregnant...oh god you know that with all the s**t we have to go through we could get some compassion..I know that these screeners are not paid well and probably do get alot of grief from all the passangers ,but aren't they human??  Well ,I guess we'll find out...

• Jerusha
    edited May 2011

Dsnydawn, my past experience is that anything "on" your body -- or maybe covering up parts of your body -- invites their nasty pursuit. When Ive had my compression sleeve already on when going thru security they flipped out and did that wiping for gunpowder thing . Really, did they think I had something tucked away inside the sleeve( they should put one on...)? So, yes, better to wait on the wrapping till you are past security. If they try to stick that dirty thing that has gone inside peoples shoes or wherever... Inside my drain pouch, Im gonna go ballistic. I will bring a clean pouch and switch, but I will not let them touch the drains or the clean pouch. Im also bringing hand sanitizer which I will make them use before touching me. This has been too big of an ordeal to risk a post-op infection cause of this crap. Oh, I am so riled up about this. Good thing Im taking hydrocodone every 4 hours!! Haha

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited May 2011

After Stage 1 in Charleston, the TSA guy saw my drains and just shooed me on through the scanner in my wheel chair. After my 2B in NOLA, one look at my drains, and I was held aside for a pat down. Took forever to get a woman to my area for it, and I just stood there. Not humiliated, but angry. I told the gal that I'd be happy to show her my breasts but she shouldn't pat them, and she could see where the drains inserted. No part of that for her--so she very gently patted, almost apologetically, and ran the gauze swabs.

We've had a TSA agent on BCO before where this topic has come up--they are just doing their jobs, but that seems like a cop out to me.

• Jerusha
    edited May 2011

Sorry about so many posts..I guess thats what happens when you sit around in a hotel room all day!

I am at Homewood and when we arrived monday evening I discovered, after much neurotic and persistent inquiry, that the inside blankets, the duvet itself and the duvet cover are not necessarily freshly washed. These get re-used. Being totally nuts about this sort of thing( even under normal conditions), I asked to have the bed re-done. They were a bit skeptical, raised an eyebrow, but were completely nice about it. Today same thing, I said CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN (about 150 times). They brought all fresh stuff and even showed me it was still warm from the dryer. Ahhh. Ask and you shall receive!!! BTW, the beds are very, very comfy. We have 2 queens, so there were at least 8 pillows already here. Perfect with a pile stacked behind me and 2 under my knees.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2011

Ladies, please don't let fear take hold!  Yesterday was an extremely intense day for me.  I'm still on painkillers, too.  I had a very good night sleep, and nap, so I feel much more calm.  My intent was not to spread fear, to scare anyone, but to find some support--which I did very much.

I did a bunch of reading and there is a whole community of people with medical needs/issues/devices that get treated poorly in TSA searches.  It seems any medical stuff can be a flag.  In my case, my arm was wrapped and the guaze pads were in my bra and both triggered a search.  Once a search is triggered, it has to be followed through according to protocol.  Doesn't matter the explanation.  Don't go into the airport expecting to be pat down.  More patients have had no issue.

I think the Center is just trying to do what it can to prepare us flying patients, but the TSA has no consistency.  I think the Center is in a hard place to let us patients know what to expect while still not trying to scare us.  We are in a fragile state after surgery.  And we're on pain killers!  Sitting in a wheelchair.  In my case, I'm still processing having had a mastectomy and also only having days to process that my cancer is not yet gone.  I've had people tell me I must have just been at the edge and this pushed me over.  That I just need to not let it bother me.  I really don't think it's right to be treated that way by the TSA.  

I also think the NOLA TSA is set up like Keystone Cops.  The only other time I flew since 9/11 was in Denver.  It was a huge area where each TSA agent was set up with there own station.  NOLA was so chaotic to me and I had at least 10 people talking to me, sometimes a few at once.  They were running into each other.  It was just a huge bottleneck.  The more I think about it, the more I think I need to file a complaint about the NOLA TSA set up.  

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited May 2011

It's awful they do get away it seems with treating people this way. If it were me I would complain, but chances of it going any further than that? Honestly, not much. So as you are healing, and have a little road ahead of you, the extra stress is not going to do you any good at all. I am thankful I had no problems with the travel, stories like yours hopefully don't scare people but at least make them aware of the possibilities. I had my letter both times. Stage 1, they were nice, took me aside behind a curtain and just kind of had me lift my shirt up a little so they could see the pouch, drains, etc... They didn't touch anything, and waited til they had 2 female TSA employees. This is how it should be, but how often do things work like they're supposed to?

Again, I know it was a miserable experience, I can't even begin to imagine. I think if that had happened to me, I would have went BALLISTIC, and probably would have been locked up in a padded room :) Bad enough we hit a huge thunder storm in Chicago and couldn't get out. Having 2 drains, and tons of pain and discomfort sitting in an airport for a few hours super late at night sucks.

Moral of the story.... we all survive, we are fighters, don't let it get ya down! XOXO

• lesliet
    lesliet Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2011

Hi ladies so sorry to her all of this mess at the airport with TSA I guess things would be different if they had to go through all of this to get their life back to normal they would do things a little different. I'm having my Stage 1 with Dr. S on june 15 and now I'm Freaked out about alot, I guess he is going to do diep and Gap. What do you take for clothes How big do you go up in size to handle all the swelling?  How does Mercy Medicial work?  Hope lodge  do you call or does the center? Can i go back to work after 5 weeks ? I had my blood work done today and EKG I feel lie the walls are closing in on me and this is not working very well with my daughters Grad and freshman orientation on june 6 and 7 of June. Any and all info will be helpful because i have no idea what to do.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2011

Ref, I added your June 1 surgery to the list above. Let me know if you want me to change anything!

I am mad about what Cider went through when she was vulnerable. If you can, get your "mother bear" on before you go to the airport! Better to be mad and pissed than crushed if you can manage it in your psyche. It's just that we are very vulerable after a surgery like this. And if you are not used to flying, it makes you all the more scared.

LeslieT, my goodness! So many stacked ladies around here!!! I will add you to the listing above, let me know if you want me to change anything. 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Leslie, I will be in NOLA for stage 2 revisions on June 18th!!

First of all, breath, relax, don't panic!! We've all been there, and will be there for you!

I learned my lesson for stage 1. I took a full suitcase of clothes I didn't need. I was able to get my regular tank tops on after surgery and wear those with some yoga capris for the most part. That's all I wore, if I was in my room at the hope lodge I had a knit sundress I'd throw in, and my robe if I went down to eat or something. I really suggest packing light, you don't need much because the hope lodge has a washer and dryer. I'd say 2 or 3 sets of clothes at most, a couple zip up hoodies are nice or little jacket. I wore flip flops the whole time too, much easier to slip on and off. My pants I had before stage 1 fit perfect after, I had enough removed to rebuild my breasts, but the swelling made up for it, so it wasn't a problem at all

If you want to use mercy medical, just let Katie know. There is a 1 page form to fill out, which Katie will send you, and if you've never used mercy medical before there is a financial form as well to fill out. Katie sends the paperwork to them for you, they will call and verify everything and then work on getting your tickets booked. I've used this 2 times, sometimes they are faster at getting you booked, but don't stress it will come through in plenty of time! It covers you, and your companion.

Katie also books you at the hope lodge, just let her know when you want to stay there, if it's the whole time or what not.

As for work, I really don't see why not, that's a personal choice and each person heals differently. I was laid off before stage 1, so it wasn't a big deal to me, but I think I could of, at least part time to start with. I had my stage 2 at exactly 8 weeks so you can kind of see what the process was like for me.

PM me any questions if you'd like, I'll be there when you are if all goes well with my finances and I don't have to cancel. So I'll make sure and check on you : )

• Springtime
    edited May 2011

Yay, Dragon and Leslie!!! Kathryn will be there too! 

• dsnydawn
    edited May 2011

I had my post op chk up with Dr D a few hours ago. I was talking to him about airport patdowns and he and my husband both agreed when you give unqualified people a "power" position ,some tend to abuse it...after getting back to my room I just figured out that I did not get a "letter" for travel!!! Do I need it?  And I'm sad to say that I missed Amy by an hour. I went up to say goodbye and she had just left!!  Well maybe stage 2....

• lesliet
    lesliet Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2011

Dragonfly and Springtime thank ypu for the info it really helps!  I can't belive you were able to get intoyour pants afterwards when i had my hernia repair everything was so tight. I was trying to figure out how those under garments would fit and all my tops now are  exta small so they dont gap when i bend over to help my kindergartens with work. I just can belive I'll come home with breast i wish my husband was alive to see them.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

After stage 1, the only undergarment I had was a surgical type bra, it's pretty thin. I'd get a size or 2 larger in shirts though just to be safe. well the pants I'm talking about are stretchy cotton yoga pants with pockets. These are the pants I love and have many pairs of:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=68131&vid=1&pid=633123&scid=633123082

• Springtime
    edited May 2011

DsnyDawn, It sounds like the letter is not very helpful anyway!!! I wonder if your driver can swing by the Center so you can pick up that letter on the way to the airport? maybe if you call the Center in the AM and have it ready there waiting for you? They should be giving everyone one of those letters when they come for their post surgical! 

• Springtime
    edited May 2011
    The ladies below are coming up in a week or so!!!!  (busy time!!)

May 25 - Rogam - Stage 1, Dr. D., NOLA. May 27 - NoWords - uni-stacked DIEP at Fairway in NOLA with Drs. Massey and Sullivan 
  • Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Neither time I went to NOLA the TSA even wanted to see my letter. I think it truly just depends on who's working that day, and the power trip like Dr D said.

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2011

Hi ladies,  I never had a problem at the airport and they never wanted my letter either.  It's all the luck of the draw, I agree.  Here's hoping everyone gets thru without any hassle.  I know it sucks, but it's a short time and a small portion of everything we have had to go through.  It doesn't define us anymore than cancer does.  Cngrats to those just done and good luck to all those coming up!

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited May 2011

Kathryn I am sending you healing vibes. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Take care girl !!!!!!

• dsnydawn
    edited May 2011

Theresa just wanted to say goodbye as i didn't see you downstairs tonight.  Hope you have a safe trip home and thanks for all the laughs!!  speedy recovery

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2011

Dsnydawn - have a safe flight! I will be here until saturday.

I have a weird rash that they told me to take benadryl for. Not sure what it is from. I am nearing the end of my percocet. I will go on toradol after that ends.

I am still hunched over and feel like taffy being pulled when I walk.

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited May 2011

Well, last minute decision to fly the coop today . . .  Was supposed to go downstairs for my post-op check at 2, but at 11:30 Dr D showed up in my room!  Said he thought he would save me the trouble.  I told him I had been looking forward to getting off the hospital floor, and he laughed.  After a thorough going over, he said, ok, see you in a few months.  After he left, my husband said, We should have asked him if we could jusst leave today.  Well, he chased him down the hall and Dr D said of course, you are good to go.  Original plan was around noon tomorrow, after one more nights recovery, as we have a horribly long drive ahead.  Anyway, everyone jumped into action and before I knew it, we had gotten the rental car, eaten lunch, packed up and headed out.  Even Chef came out to say goodbye!  I could go on and on for hours about how amazing everyone was to me throughout this whole ordeal.  But I know you all know how great everyone is to all of us.

Anyway, we didn't get too far as I couldn't get comfortable in the rental car, then I had to stop and pee, then we had to stop for food, and on and on.  And then there is a whole crazy Walgreen's story which, when I am home and bored I will entertain you all with. haha  It involved meeting a clerk on a streetcorner in the Quarter and giving them back too much pain RX which they never should have given us and I never would have taken anyway, and them giving us a refund of 8$.  In cash.  Oy.  Anyway, we are "stuck inside of Mobile"(with these Memphis Blues again -for any of you Bob Dylan fans.)  At the rate we are going, I will be home by Memorial Day!  The car is miserably uncomfortable and I was crying when I got into the hotel, but I am cleaned up, tucked in and reading about all you ladies having to fly home, and I don't feel so bad.  I hope you all get through TSA unscathed.  I am sick thinking of any of you having to go through what cider8 described.  Really, haven't we been through enough - how much more can we take?  Well, I guess in the end, we just keep going. cider8, I am so very sorry about your ordeal, and I would have a hard time letting go of it as well.  Your pain is your pain.  Spring, you are like a fierce mama bear yourself, watching out for all of us on this thread.  Did you ever expect this when you started it some 10,000 posts ago?  What a blessing you are to all of us.  Dawn, so sorry I missed you once again!!  tigsun, safe journey home.  Jerusha, you and I must be sisters, based on your description of your shakedown of the housekeeping staff at Homewood.  I am a FREAK about it - can't be too careful.  Prayers and good vibes to all of you, sweet dreams tonight, and for those of you coming up, you can do it.  I promise you.  Oh, and even though it was a bit painful driving over the cracks and bumps on Magazine Street, how happy was I when I realized my boobs were jiggling???!!