Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited May 2011

Thanks I'll call them tonight!! Good luck cider, I wasn't brave enough to do it myself :)

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited May 2011
    Good luck Cider!  I did it myself too--was shocked at how long it was but otherwise it was all good!  let us know how it goes!
  • kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited May 2011

OMG. I don't sign on for a few days and so much has happened.

First of all - ref, thinking of you.  You're in great hands and can't wait to hear an update post surgery.

denoument - the tops sound great. I had hip flap for stage one but they're doing a little tummy tuck for stage 2 - so I may be in the market for compression like that. So glad you're doing so well.

cider - you're almost drain free! YAY!

Amy - keep spreading the word! My friend who still has her expanders in (just finishing rads) is going to NOLA for a consult (hopefully when I'm there for my stage 2). I think I'll offer to go with her for her surgery if she wants me to.  I have to say the MDs here in LA have been less receptive to my surgery (and I think I look pretty darn good) - they are all still very suspicious about traveling for treatment. Too bad...but I'm trying to get the word out.

dragonfly - don't make yourself too crazy. It will be great wherever you stay. Of course I am biased and closeby the Homewood Suites so we can visit

JustLaura - welcome to our mid-June group.  I'll PM you when I get a free moment. There will be a few of us down there at the same time and it would be so great to meet for drinks/tea/eats, etc.) while we are there. I arrive on the 14th (your surgery day), surgery on the 16th and at the homewood suites until the 21st.  

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2011

Good luck Ref ! It's all auto pilot now. Agonizing over all the decisions up to now was way harder. You will be so well taken care of, you won't believe it. You've made a great decision and you'll be so happy with your choice!

I posted this once on another thread, but in terms of air travel, returning home after surgery, (YAY!!!) .... In the airport look for the Family Bathrooms, usually located near the regular ones. They are one-person, with the sink right there so you can wash up and not have to touch anything before dealing with drains or pads or whatever. And usually much cleaner. Definitely the way to go.

Denouement, you mentioned that you got your shapewear tops online. Could you give the specifics so I can have a look? I am about ready to be out of this Dom! I was told surgical bra x2wks then "soft" sports -bra-ish bra for 3 more weeks.(Not very specific..) Maybe your shape wear would count. I found some great Fruit of the Loom soft cotton non -compressive bras. I'll post about them later, but I'd love to check out these tops.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2011

Ref - Good vibes heading your way from Minnesota!

Dragonfly - Soooooooo glad your grant came thru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to all you gals on the other side of surgery (Rogam! NoWords!), appts., drain-pulls (Go Cider!!!!), etc.

Re: hotel accomodations - We all have such different preferences. I never thought of The Monteleone as having particularly small rooms, but I also had no issue with my husband and I sharing one bed after surgery! I, myself, really, really like to stay right in the Quarter - and at an old hotel that has character and lets me know I'm in New Orleans. The new high-rise hotels just don't do it for me - you could be staying anywhere. Yes, I love Place d'Armes. This is always my number one choice, and I have stayed there multiple times - for surgery visits, as well as my multiple Halloween visits! I've never had any of the problems there that Sandy did. I think those issues can potentially be issues anywhere in a big city (and probably especially in an old Southern city) - it's just the luck or unluck of the draw... The courtyards there are gorgeous - I love to sit there and have breakfast every morning (free breadkast, btw). They have provided me with wheelchairs for free, that my husband used to whisk me all over the Quarter, even when I was too tired to walk. I love, love, love the Quarter and have never felt unsafe there. Lots of people around in most areas - tho I, also, have almost always been with someone. I want to be able to walk out of my hotel and be in the heart of that city, which is the French Quarter. If you can swing it financially, I would always recommend staying in the Quarter over staying at Hope Lodge, and tho the rooms at Homewood are so nice and spacious, I want to be closer to the action! This really can be a vacation, ya know! And lying in bed, resting, isn't as bad, if you can hear the clip-clop of hooves going by, or even a saxophone wailing out on the street corner!

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited May 2011

Absolutely Jerusha

I really like the line "Assets" which is the budget line from Spanx--I got this one at Target but I don't see it on Target's website

http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4275438&cp=4345854.4342445

That one is a little shorter, probably hits mid hip, but in the Assets line you'll see lots of different shapes, colors, etc.

I really also like these from Flexees--also bought at Target and then I got another one from Macys. This one is longer, it goes to low hip on me (And I'm tall) and I usually have it go under my pants--it REALLY holds everything in.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=455098&CategoryID=27299&LinkType=#fn=BRAND=Flexees&SHAPEWEAR_STYLE=Camisoles & Tanks%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D10

Both these lines also have ones that have shorts attached to them and I will definitely look into them for stage 2--right now the prices are a couple of bucks higher than yesterday (must have been Memorial Day sale prices) so they are between 20 and 28.  Like I said I got both at my local target, I think a bit cheaper than that.  Hope this helps!

Minnesota - how big would you say the regular King Monteleone room was?  Could you guestimate square footage?  I'm with you, wanting to make this 3rd trip a bit more a of vacation if I can!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2011

Woohoo!  Drain is out!  Oddly enough, I kinda enjoyed pulling it out myself.  :P  I trimmed a few sutures but I don't think I can get to all of them myself.

I have a section on my outer thigh that is numb.  I asked Laura about it and she said it might be from compression during surgery.  That kind of freaks me out since I have NO idea what goes on with our bodies during surgery.  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2011

Ok we decided to go with the Quality Inn it's right on the st charles street car line, so that will be easy. With the budget that was making my decision hard. I wanted a nice court yard with a pool if possible for before surgery. It's rainy, gloomy and cold here in the "great" northwest so I'm ready for some sun. I had originally wanted to stay in the Quarter but I couldn't find one that I really wanted for a decent price. The Quality Inn, Katie said is great and has a "precious" courtyard!!! Works for me, plus one night is 89.00 the other 2 are 69.00 can't beat that!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2011

Another hotel I was looking at IN THE QUARTER is Iberville Suites... Katie was able to pull strings and do her magic and got me a room at Homewood Suites... I felt that for Stage I and with my husband there, having a living room and kitchen would be a a perk... I had wanted to stay in the Quarter when my daughter was the one coming with me.. I wanted her to see the Quarter and kind of LIVE in it... but my husband lived in NOLA for 6 years, so he doesn't need to experience it... and HS is just a few blocks from edge of Quarter.

Good luck Rhonda... I will be thinking of you!!!

I get a little scared reading about the after effects from surgery... 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2011

Good luck Ref!!! Swinging and shaking my "pom poms" !!  : )  Please check in when you can and let us know how you are doing!!

What great updates!  

Betsy, I'm glad you got in to the Homewood. I know you will enjoy the space... If you have any issues there, Michael Rich is Katie's contact.

Cider you brave woman! For me, being drain free was a real turning point in my comfort and recovery. Yay for you!!!

Denouement :My memory is that the the King Monteleone is a standard size hotel and bathroom. Nothing huge, but not tiny either. I think there is a desk area and a chair maybe in a corner??

I had issues with "shapewear" after Stage 2 when I had a nipple redo. However, it wares off, the sensitivity. I now love my underarmour T's for exercise and plane flights. This is mostly b/c my LE is in my side/chest area.

Do you think the Center is taking a break between Ref on June 1st and JustLaura on June 14?? ha ha ha. We ave a huge break up there in the listings! 

Jerusha, I cannot BELIEVE the post anesthesia experience you describe!! What a horror!! I swear, I will find it hard to every have surgery anywhere else. Once you experience NOLA, you see how it *should be* for everyone! 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2011

If someone has already answered this, I apologize...but afraid I just skimmed the last couple of pages...   Someone was talking about running out of ABD pads and betadine sticks.  There is a medical supply store here in Murfreesboro that sells everything from pads to wheel chairs as well as rentals.  Anyway, they have a much better price on those supplies if you need to pick some up rather than at a drugstore. I am sure most towns have a medical supply store, so check around.  Although, I am sure, if you contacted the center they would send whatever you need!  I just went thru so many when I had some unexpected issues, it was just easier to pick them up there, because it was right down the street from me...

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2011

Dragonfly, I was there the same time as one gal who was staying at the QI, and we saw her room.  It seemed fine to me and you're right--you can't beat the price.  Being right on the streetcar line, it's an easy ride to the FQ if you want to go there.

Betsy, one really nice thing about HS is that breakfast is included and you can go downstairs in a robe if you want to, and then take your food back up to your room and sit at the dining table.   On weeknights, they also have light foods that will usually suffice for dinner.  Having pizza delivered there was easy for a Friday night, and by Saturday, I was ready to walk to a restaurant in the FQ.    HS also has a wheelchair which you can borrow.

Rhonda, best wishes to you.  We always anxiously await to hear from everyone after surgery!

Denouement, sounds like you are doing so well!  I think it's great that you are doing PT!

Cider, I wanted to tell you that I did commit to multiple stages in order to get rid of the skin patches my first surgeon had used, and I am so very happy that I did!!  All of my NOLA recoveries were easy, and I always got to spend time with Alaina (she has taken us all over southern Louisiana!).  Honestly, I looked forward to each revision and had so much fun in NOLA that as sick as it sounds, those trips were my vacations and I miss going now!!

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited June 2011

Question--any advice on lower drain!!! In so much pain. Went to the ctr today and had breast drains removed. The suggested neosporin plus but dang .... Otherwise I feel okay. Suggestions??

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2011

Rogam - You can try taking a 4x4 and cutting a slice into it to create a place for the drain to go - which will pad under the tubing and make it much more comfortable. (Here is a link for a picture of a drain sponge - essentially a 4x4 with a slice already made in it!)

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=4x4+drain+sponges&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=2kL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&resnum=2&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=565&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4809474853932839507&sa=X&ei=DuXlTaSlAo_4sAOcz8T5Bg&ved=0CHUQ8gIwCQ  (I tried to link it but it would never work - if you copy and paste, it should give you the right page).

The Neosporin Plus has a topical anesthetic in it, so that should help with the pain...

Ref - You are going to do SO AWESOME in a few hours. I hope you get Deidre for your pre/post op nurse. I LOVE her... You tell her I said hello (if she is unsure of who I am, just tell her I am the one with the nurse anesthetist for a husband). She is the BEST and she is SO awesome at getting an IV in on the first try. You are going to do great! Can't wait to hear from you when you emerge from the fog late tomorrow or the next day! ((((hugs))))!  Oh, and I was more than happy to encourage you to see Dr. S - he is the best...  (Wink... winking at the Dellacroce girls... ) 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2011

I agree with Nordy on padding around drains...sometimes I used an ab pad cut in 1/2 or 1/4, and then anchored everything down really well with tape.  It was the drain moving around or pulling that hurt so much! 

Ha ha Nordy....just keep winking!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

When I had my drains from stage 1 they really bothered me on my hips after 5 or 6 weeks! My grandma had a friend that had, had some surgery they gave her a box of these super thin square pads that had their own sticky stuff on them all around the outside edge. Plus they peeled off really easy and didn't leave the nasty tape marks. I put these over my drain and WOW, what a huge difference it made. I was bummed I didn't have them the whole time. I almost couldn't feel my drain and they stayed in place real well. When I went back for stage 2 I gave the box and wrapper to Laura or Stacy I think it was to tell them about them but not sure what they did if anything.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011
    June 14 - JustLaura - stage 1 with Dr D
    June 15 - LeslieT - stage 1 with Dr. S
    June 16 - KathrynLA - Stage 2, NOLA.
    June 21 - Dargonfly1976 - stage 2B with Dr. S

Sounds like the middle of June will be a busy month.

Just Laura, and LeslieT when do you arrive and leave to go home? I'm there the 18-24st.

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2011

Springtime mentioned maybe a break between Ref and I as our surgeries are two weeks apart and there is definitely a break in the schedule (or there are some unlucky women that haven't found this great forum). I had told them on May 27th when I was being scheduled that I could do any day up until June 14th. The 14th was the last day of the 'window' that my oncologist gave me as that was 6 weeks from diagnosis. So I feel very lucky that they fit me in on the 14th - but I do wonder if they are taking a vacation.  If so - they deserve it!!

DragonFly - We will be in NOLA Sunday June 12th - Tuesday June 21. We are at Bienville the nights of 12th and 13th. SCSH the nights of 14th - 16th. And then Homewood Suites (hopefully - if Katie got our room there) for the 18th - 20th.

Denouement - Thank you for the tip on the shapewear. I'm going to the mall tonight and I'm going to see if I can't pick up a few so I'll have some when I'm ready! (when I get to have that party when my drains come out)! 

• SAMayoFL
    SAMayoFL Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2011

Hello ladies, I am the Charleston Bound gal barging in on your thread again!  After my mx putting anything over my incision hurt like crazy!!!  Doesn't the binder thing over your ab incision hurt?

Betsy, I am with you.  Sometimes I read something and nearly go into a panic attack.  We will both be fine though!!  I can't wait to hear your story when you are on the other side!

Susan

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Justlaura sounds great!! Not sure about the big gap too, my month of June I told them was wide open. They could only get me in the 21st. So maybe it's a vacation week for them :) They certainly deserve it. I'll PM you my # and we can meet up for sure!

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited June 2011

Nordy, sounds like you are trying to stir up some trouble haha!  So does Dr S dress as snazzy as Dr D? hmm?  I did meet Dr S as he was secondary (?) on my surgery, and he seemes lovely, and I know he is excellent, but what kind of shoes does he wear? haha   In all seriousness, seems like they are both such amazing doctors, and caring, genuine people as well, that none of us could go wrong with either of them.  Even hearing the limo drivers talk about them - you know they are 'good people'.  

Ro - that dang drain was the bane of my existence until it came out.  I would have tried the neosporine plus but am allergic to it.  As Nordy suggests, the pads will definitely help with the rubbing, and if you can find a way to limit the drain moving around, that will help as well.  Hope you are feeling better each day.

Dragonfly - my husband really liked being on St Charles (we spent more time in the hospital than planned, so he got to know the neighborhood).  There are some really good restaurants there, and maybe a bit less pricey than the Quarter.  Ask the nurses, or ask Glenise, who is the lovely lady who brings around the meals.  Husband went out to Voodoo BBQ, and Zea, and there is a pizza place called Slice that was renovating, and then a more upscale place called Houston's. If you can get over to Magazine St, that is a very cool area.  Lots of little boutiques, galleries, cafes.  We took a ride down Magazine after I was discharged (had to get a rental car), and I would like to go back over there next time I am down there.  It was a very slow ride for us, as it is a very bumpy street, and I was having a fair amount of "discomfort".  But that is the street where I realized that my new boobs actually jiggled!!! The evening we first got into NOLA, we took a street car ride from one end of the St Charles line to the other, then turned around and took it back.  It was a warm, reezy evening, and that will always be a favorite memory, just riding the streetcar and looking at the beautiful homes and incredible architecture in the unique city of NOLA.

Betsy and Susan- you will both be fine.  I am saying this as a 53 yr old who was not in the greatest of shape before I went into the surgery.  I walked, but that was about it, and I certainly could have stood to loose a few pounds.  Had lots of aches and pains, a bad back, etc.  But I came through it, and though at times it was tough, the toughest part was the time leading up to it, the anxiety and fear.  But I am here to tell you that if I can do it, you can do it.  I have NO REGRETS. Betsy, I have been reading all your posts, and I think you have come to a good decision. I hope you can be at peace with it, and know that you are in the best of hands.

Gentle hugs to all of you,                                                                                                        Amy 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Thanks Amy so much for all the information!! I can not wait to see some of the things you mentioned :) I love love love Dr S, and the one great nurse in pre-op, I think it could be (Deidre??) she was black and bald! She is the absolute best, but again, not 1 complaint about any of the staff there!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

Just booked our room before surgery at the Quality Inn on St Charles. Katie said she loves it there, her family stays there all the time for Mardi Gras! :) So 259 was the total for 3 nights.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2011

Sandy, thanks re: skin patches.  I can see enjoying each NOLA trip, even for extra surgeries.  I already want to go down for Young Survival Coalition convention Feb next year!  I really didn't have all my senses at post op (or rounds) to ask if it will only take one or two surgeries to get all the skin patch gone.  I just can't see it all gone in one, but Sullivan must have had a plan when he did it.  I don't know if he prepped/overstuffed that side for potential rads.  I'm complying with my med onc to see the rad onc on Friday.  

Ah, yes, Sullivan is the best!  Wink wink Nordy!  I don't think he's as flashy as DellaCroce.  My husband really liked Sullivan; thought he was a man's man.  I did not even think to look at shoes.  DellaCroce was pointed out to me at the consult, but I was too freaked out in general to actually meet him.  Maybe next time.  I also don't know who my second surgeon was.

I found some Flexees Fat Free Dressing tanks at Marshalls ranging $10 (clearance) to $17.  I'm still too stiff and sensitive to pull them on though.

I don't remember who my preop nurse was, but it was not Dierdre.  I'm wearing the waist binder at home now.  I can't stand to wear it next to my skin, though.  It does not hurt my incision.  I don't know if I really need it or how long to wear it or anything (got the question in to Laura!).   

Good deal on the hotel, Dragonfly.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

What are you ladies referring to about the skin patches???? My bi-lateral mx was done a year befope my DIEP.

Also I just love Dr S, nothing against Dr D, since I never met him either. I loved how i waited and waited in the patient room for my pre-op and he was running behind. When he walked in I said about time, I've been napping in here! He said oh whatever, just get up here and whip em out for me! HA HA HA I laughed SO hard :) I was just at the mall, and in this skater shop they have a shirt that says I <3 boobies, I told my Mom I want that shirt but then people may wonder about me :) lol

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited June 2011

Dr S does dress NICE but not as flashy as Dr. D.  However Dr. S is very muscular and just blushes all over himself which cracks me up. 

Diedre~ Is honestly a hoot.  You will know if you come into contact with her because you will be peeing your pants.  I also love Margaret who was embarrassed by how i found out I am allergic to latex.  It's the only hospital that I sat around laughing before going into surgery.  BTW, I still think they give you versed in the holding area so they can see what goofy things you are going to say. 

Good Luck to our ladies who are up next. 

• JustLaura
    edited June 2011

I have a question for those that have gone before me...I have now been told by two plastic surgeons (my one here in CO and now NOLA) that I may not have enough tissue to make my new breasts the same size as my current ones with the DIEP surgery I'll be having. I am not large (36B) busted nor am I skinny. At all. I think it is just the way my belly fat must sit or something. Was anyone else been told this? What were your results? I don't want huge breasts - the same size would be fine. But I don't really want them smaller (but will, of course, settle for that if I need to). I'm hoping that when Dr D in NOLA sees me in person he says - oh we totally underestimated you - you have plenty of fat/tissue to use (never in a million years did I dream I would want to hear those words)!  I'm just curious - how accurate they were in gaging the size of your new breasts.

A funny side story. My husband is now hell bent on fattening me up. My teenage children have joined in as well. We have been eating up a storm. My husband thinks it is in his and my best interests to put on a few pounds. I have gained 5 lbs and my husband is psyched - says each boob gets 2 1/2 pounds more! I don't want to be unhealthy going into surgery so don't think I'll take this too far - but it cracks me up how every one is shoving food my way right now! 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2011

JustLaura, I know from that a number of women on this thread have been told that by local PSs when the NOLA drs have been able to do it without difficulty. I think part of this is that they do lots of SGAPs and hip flaps too so seem to feel confident that can find the fat somewhere to make breasts.

Someone asked a few pages back about the recovery room and I had to laugh because I NEVER remember ANYTHING from the recovery room. It takes me a really long time to wake up!

• JustLaura
    edited June 2011

Amym - that was EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited June 2011

I remember waking up in some pain last time, but because the DOM was so tight right under my breasts. They released the top hook on each side and unzipped it a little and it was so much better! They are really on the ball I'll tell ya!