Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited January 2012

VictotriaB-  So sorry you are going thru this hard time right now.  I hope you get relief quickly.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2012

Victoria... I didn't have gas if I remember correctly...

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited January 2012

Victoria, I can't offer any advice, since this is all the future for me, but you have my sincere sympathy and hopes for a very speedy resolution to your current pain! 

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

Kathryn...

I am interested STILL in your belly bloat. You said yours is BELOW the incision or above?? Mine is above... And it still feels bruised when I push... Laura says that all I had was lipo done above the incision and slow and steady is the best plan... I emailed her because I had pain from crunches, and wasn't sure if I had maybe hurt something or just overdone it... she thinks I overdid it. But I am interetsed in Dr S's response to you that it could take 1 year to 18 months. I was fine until stage II so mine has everything to do with lipo.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited January 2012

Hi Betsy. Yes, it is above the incision - I feel and look very bloated on my lower belly (but above the incision.) If you want, we can exchange private emails and we can swap photos and compare!

Victoria - I didn't have gas either, but I think if even a little of the gas from surgery gets trapped in there it can be quite painful. Hope you feel better soon.

• kathrynla
    edited January 2012

Can I boast on an unrelated topic? But actually related since it shows you can bounce back from cancer and surgery!  Today my 2 companies were mentioned on the front page of the Wall Street Journal. Waiting for the phone to start ringing!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203806504577177011519558088.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited January 2012

Victoria, so sorry. Recovery feels so slow when you are miserable! I did a fast working remedy both times but you may be hobbling to the bathroom several times, and then it will be out of you. One packet or cap of miralax mixed in with one cup of warmed prune juice. The first time I did this three days and it slowly cleared it all out. The second time I had more gas with the hysterectomy and I did it once and that was that for the day. Both at the local walgreens or CVS. Again, so sorry....

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited January 2012

Stage 2a and 2b ladies -- did your insurance company pony up for those revisions or were they out of pocket. I will need additional revision (though I need a loooong break from an operating room because Stage 2 took so much out of me!) as the rear end still has a noticeable divot, the nipple and tattoos need attention, and (very unusual for me), my one scar across the donor hip is getting quite ropey and hard. Also the contralateral breast needs some more fat and the foob needs a little taken from the underarm. Even if I never get any of that done, I am so pleased with having my own tissue breast. My husband calls me his "no artificial ingredients added" wife now! Thanks!

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2012

victoriab - we are giving them a run here! I am still here too, not bouncing back as fast as I should. hang in there. i am drinking warm, pryne juice right now

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited January 2012

Thank you, thank you for all the advice and support. I just have never had this type of agonizing pain before and I know they are doing everything possible. I might try the miralaz and prune juice.

Karen, you are still here!--meet ya in the hall, buddy!  

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited January 2012

Victoria, the antibiotics & Pain meds can wreak havoc on your intestinal flora and fauna. Ask the Nurses to check with your Doc and see if adding Activia (timed as to not interfere with antibiotic absorption) might be helpful..?

Just a thought as I've got IBS and can so relate :(

Hope u get to feeling better,

Marcia

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited January 2012

Align is another good probiotic. Physician-recommended, according to my internist.  Expensive but worth it.  It seems more balanced and gentle than the probiotics that have mostly acidophilus in them.

Also... I vote for prune juice.  Did the trick for me in just a few hours.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited January 2012

Prune juice here, too, though I also used Senekot. That was recommended by a doctor when I was in hospital another time and got backed up because of pain meds. Doesn't have the gassy pain and bloating and all that ExLax and the others do. But gets the train running, for sure! I was also told to eat a whole orange daily. Some people opt for dates. It is a terrible feeling to get all plugged up, so whatever works, good luck and hope you feel better!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited January 2012

Victoria,  I can certainly relate.....the gas was the worst part of my hysterectomy.  I also used Miralax but not with the prune juice. I'm going to keep that in mind for next time.

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited January 2012

Kathryn - CONGRATULATIONS!  Wow! In the short time I have known you, you have been on a national news program and now the WSJ. Very impressive. You are moving and shaking! 

I would like to exchange pics of that upper belly swelling if you still want to. My photographer is out of town until Friday but I can send some then. Do you want to PM me your email? I know Betsy is having this issue too. I talked to Jeanine when I was 11 weeks out (I'm 13 weeks out today) and she said it was normal until 14 weeks. I'm not thinking that this is going to miraculously change by next week. I have done the PT/massage route too - and that helps a lot but by mid-day it is swollen again. And mornings are better than evenings.

Victoria - I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I hope you find relief very soon. Hang in there!

• kathrynla
    edited January 2012

Just Laura- how funny. Yes it's been quite a year in many respects!  I PM'd you (and Betsy) my email.

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

KATHRYN... I ECHO LAURA.... CONGRATS.. kudos to you.

VictoriaB... I asked for a probiotic day one because I have had trouble in the past with lots of antibiotics... the nurses went and bought it at Walgreens and gave it to me with my other meds... 

Kathryn and Laura... I will read the PM and take some pics.

• CaitlinB
    CaitlinB Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2012

I have a question regarding breast size.  I would like to be a C cup.  I am currently a DD, but I need to lose a significant amount of weight.  Do you think that they will recommend me going with my currrent size or as I lose weight will my breast size also go down?  Did any of you go with a smaller size that you were pre-DIEP?

Thanks,

Caitlin 

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited January 2012

Caitlin, I was about a DDD or whatever the equivalent is.  I need to lose 40 pounds to be in an ideal weight range.  I wanted a C as well.  After Stage 1 I was about the same size but somewhat lifted.  They keep it big after the first stage to account for any necrosis and/or for rads; basically overstuffing.  It is at stage 2 that they shape and make them the size you want.  I had stage 2 almost 6 weeks ago; I haven't gone bra shopping (just wearing surgical bras) so I'm not sure what my cup size is.  I said the size I was at preop was fine (I think they got a little smaller even after swelling subsided from Stage 1) because I wanted to be proportional for when I do lose weight.  Yes, when you lose body weight you also lose size in the breasts.  So I am proportional now and I expect to be whenever I do lose weight.  I'd like to be C 40-50 pounds less from now, not today.  I will say that lifting the breasts REALLY makes a difference.  Plus the lipo on sides, waist and upper belly really defines the shape. 

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited January 2012

celtic_antique  -- I had multiple revisions with my previous DIEP and insurance covered all of them (wish I had found Dr. D and NOLA sooner so that all those revisions wouldn't have been necessary ....) 

• kathrynla
    edited January 2012

I have to say that when I finally went shopping for a bra I was shocked. I used to be a B cup and definitely wanted to go up in size a little bit - maybe a C. I felt I wanted them to look different than before (and I thought they were pretty nice before.) I had a lot of swelling after stage 1 and then I had five months in between Stage 1 and Stage 2. In that time they shrunk a lot! So I told Dr. S to fluff them up a bit and he obliged. Then I had a stage 2B and I had some uneveness in my cleavage and along the sides so he added a little more.  I know they said you can only go up a half a size after stage 1 (it's harder to go bigger than smaller) but apparently I was the exception to the rule. When I went shopping for a bra a few weeks ago I was shocked to be a 32 DD or 32 EE (in some bras!) I don't look that big, but I guess they are wide and I need the size to hold the outer parts...My husband loves them.  I said "I didn't know you were a breast man" and his reply was "Neither did I."  BTW, I really don't look all that big. I was sure I was going to get a C cup bra.  I also know that I shrink a lot after the 3 month mark, so we'll see.

Of course, some of you want to go smaller - and believe me, these docs can give you whatever you are looking for!

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2012

Victoria: SO sorry you're in such pain.  I'm just glad you're still in the hospital so you can be looked after properly.  I can't be of any help since I never experienced any problems with gas after my DIEP.  My problem was not urinating -- my stomach was so bloated and hard.  Had to have the catheter put back in -- such relief, the bag filled in no time and I was a happy camper once more.  Hoping that you've gotten some relief by now (noticed that your post was 12 hours ago!) and have a good sleep tonight.  I'm sending good thoughts.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2012

Victoria - I'm adding my sympathy regarding your pain, too. I sure hope you're feeling better now than when you last posted!

Congrats KathrynLA! Wow!

I was one who was still taking Vicodin or Percoset or whatever for several weeks after my Stage 1 DIEP surgery. Then I started forgetting to take it, and that was my signal that the pain was getting less. I also found that I had more energy when I was taking the pain meds, rather than when I was suffering and feeling like crap. I don't think I stood up really straight until maybe even 6 weeks.... But I was strung really, really tight!

Good luck tomorrow, Nannycat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Tomorrow nite at this time - 2 boobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited January 2012

Ditto here on the reduction at stage 2. He stuffed the skin envelope full and they were bigger after stage one than when I went in. Started at 40DD, also one who is about 40 pounds over! Went bra shopping last week and am a 38D. I wanted a large C or small D. I am a large D so hopefully with weight loss, I will be about right.

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited January 2012

Victoria:  DIEP was extremely difficult for me in the hospital.  I was nauseous, could not eat, constipated, and could barely walk, extremely exhausted. THe first day or two was fine but things got progressively worse as the days went on.  I think because of all the meds I was on.  I went on the oral pain medication and had a suppository.  Drank lots, and lots, and lots, of water. Had prune juice. Continued the colace.  I made sure I was drinking more than they recommended.  After I had my first bowel movement, things started to progress for me.  I forced myself to walk 1x around the hospital very, very, very, slowly but I needed to get my body going. I did it twice a day. What was also difficult was I could not feel that I needed to move my bowels.  I guess because everything was numb at the time.  It will get better after you heal.  My bowel isn't as good as it was but I think in time it should hopefully get back to normal. I will pray for you. HUGGS. 

Caitlin:  You can tell the Dr. what size you want to be. I would think it is easier to reduce than to add after surgery although Kathryn was able to add fat.  I had trouble adding fat as I had necrosis so during Stage 2, I reduced the reconstructed side.  I was never big to begin with and am probably a B cup now whereas I was a larger B cup. But, I have lost 17 pounds so possibility is that my boob went down a bit too. Also, I'm very active and the reconstructed side seemed heavy; not as jiggly as regular side.  I feel great now after he reduced the reconstructed side.  I'm elated that I look symmetrical especially because I am a unilateral.

• CaitlinB
    CaitlinB Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2012

Thanks, ladies. It's great that you can go up or down.  :-)  And that you can always change things in Stage 2. 

Victoria, I am sorry that you are in such pain.  I have had bowel problems in the past with other surgeries and it is super painful.  I will keep you in my prayers that things turn around for you quickly.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2012

Victoria, have you had a BM yet? If not, ask for a suppository to get things moving along.... works within minutes....

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2012

Good luck today NannyKat!!!

Jan 24 - Nannykat - Stage 1, Dr. S., NOLA. 

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited January 2012

Thinking about you today NannyKat - please let us know how it goes!

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited January 2012

Hi Ladies,

Feeling better. I went from a Hindenberg belly to a liquid nitrogen belly! All the interventions (I took EVERYTHING on this list except prune juice) helped move things along. Today I still have lots of gas and I'm having a little trouble getting it out, so maybe more meds today. I am feeling better tho.

Kathryn congrats on the article! It is REALLY NICE to see that at some point we can get back to some normalcy in our lives. Congrats again!